» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Recess Town Hall "Protests"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/09 at 12:05 pm

I'm really surprised no one has started a thread about this. For those of you who are not aware of what is going on, while Congress is in recess, many members of Congress are having town meetings. That is nothing new. Members of Congress do this almost every year. This year the topic of discussion is of course health care. However, there are several right-wing groups that are funded by insurance companies (the corporations who would lose $$$$$ if true health care reform ever came to pass) who are orchestrating an "astroturf" movement by having people disrupt these meetings. They shout people down, and they even seem to threaten members of Congress. It is getting really nasty out there.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/07/health.care.scuffles/

Rachel Maddow has been doing a fabulous job at investing who is doing the orchestration in these "protests."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#32323732

It is getting ugly & very scary out there folks.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Subject: Re: Recess Town Hall "Protests"

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/09 at 12:20 pm

I'm really surprised no one has started a thread about this. For those of you who are not aware of what is going on, while Congress is in recess, many members of Congress are having town meetings. That is nothing new. Members of Congress do this almost every year. This year the topic of discussion is of course health care. However, there are several right-wing groups that are funded by insurance companies (the corporations who would lose $$$$$ if true health care reform ever came to pass) who are orchestrating an "astroturf" movement by having people disrupt these meetings. They shout people down, and they even seem to threaten members of Congress. It is getting really nasty out there.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/07/health.care.scuffles/

Rachel Maddow has been doing a fabulous job at investing who is doing the orchestration in these "protests."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#32323732

It is getting ugly & very scary out there folks.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

I think that when the G20 is held in Picksburgh next month, and disruptive protests are held, said protesters will he held up as pinnacles of virtue by some members of this board, and they will not be accused of being agents of companies which would profit by a repudiation of the G20 agenda.

That's what I think.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/09 at 12:22 pm

I don't think it is the right way to get their message across.  Historically such antics play out poorly for groups that use it (those tactics are similar to some of the early tactics of extreme pro-life movements, the Ku Klux Klan, the anti-gay movement, and of course--The Phelps Family) . . .

It's sad they are coming off like that, because I am against the current health care reform myself, I do think it needs to be fixed, but forcing insurance is not really the way. . .they talk of a 'government option', but I am in and out of work, I can't afford any health care plan unless it costs $0.  I pay for driver's insurance for one privilege: to drive, what's the law saying the privilege I have to pay for to get health insurance?  To live??  It's scary to me.  My health care currently is paid for by a federal program for those who cannot afford insurance.  I don't care if it's $10 a month, I can't afford it.  I can't afford deductibles and such either, or the limitations placed by insurance companies as to how much they'll cover per year.  I have serious health issues and am comfortable with my current situation, when I have more money I'll get insurance, but until then there are programs out there for those of us who are truly too poor for insurance. 

I agree with lowering hospital and doctor costs, increasing Medicare pay-outs to those who accept it, restricting insurance companies' rights to deny coverage to pre-existing conditions (lord do I know that's the main reason I can't afford insurance) but as it stands it's too costly for America and too far reaching--in my opinion.  If the congress really wants to help me out, what they can do is create more real jobs in more sectors, use that money directly to us--and not some stimulus that people will save--but in the form of a time-restricted credit card to be thrown out when it's out of money.  Like a gift card that can only be used at retail stores, hotels, airlines and other struggling industries. . .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/09 at 12:46 pm

I think that when the G20 is held in Picksburgh next month, and disruptive protests are held, said protesters will he held up as pinnacles of virtue by some members of this board, and they will not be accused of being agents of companies which would profit by a repudiation of the G20 agenda.

That's what I think.

I don't have a problem with these people protesting if that is what they want to do-that is their right under the Constitution. What I have a problem with is the fact that they are not allowing others their Constitutional rights by not allowing them to speak. They are also inciting violence. Maryland Democratic Rep. Frank Kratovil was hung in effigy. ( http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0709/Rep_Kratovil_hung_in_effigy_by_health_care_protester_.html ) And at one (I can't find the link) where the crowd was told that one member of Congress was almost lynched, the crowd applauded.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/07/09 at 1:22 pm

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/08/grassroots-protester-actually-gop-official.php?ref=fpa

"ordinary citizen" is actually a former GOP vice-chairman. 

ASTROTURF much GOP?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/07/09 at 3:20 pm

When a group panics and threatens terror like this it's probably on the verge of implosion.  Just think they have to pay people to protest, so it's not the will of the people.  The right is coming undone very fast. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/09 at 6:18 pm

When a group panics and threatens terror like this it's probably on the verge of implosion.  Just think they have to pay people to protest, so it's not the will of the people.  The right is coming undone very fast.  

People have been hanging in effigey opposition politicians (and athletic mascots) since the beginning of time.  Leave it to the Democrats to call it a "terrorist threat".

Where was the outrage on these boards when liberal protesters were hanging President Bush II in effigy, or calling him a monkey?

http://www.dummocrats.com/archives/000550.php

I am watching the CBS News where democrates are accusing the protesters of being part of an "organized movement" as if that were illegal.

It is amazing that for a party that prides itself on crass, abrasive protest tactics, runs to mommy and cries foul when the shoe is on the other foot.  One thing is for sure, there is NO political party who can cast the first stone, they ALL live in glass houses.

Best way to resolve all of these issues, of course, is to lodge your protest at the ballot box, as that is the only protest that really counts in the end anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/09 at 7:36 pm

There's quite a lot of ugliness in this country.

The attitude I've seen coming out of those hangdog heartlanders is: "Whatever it is, I'm agin' it!" 

I noticed a lot of those "protesters" were old folks, no doubt recipients of Social Security and Medicare.  Those are government programs.  It's not that they're too dumb to realize this (I hope), but that they're pigs:  I got mine, so skareeeew YOU!"

One more thing about the pathology infecting this country -- it has a high degree of envy and jealousy.  It is not so much what YOU have, it's what the other fellow does not.  It is imperative that YOU have more and better than the other fellow no matter how dearly it costs you. 

The hangdog heartlanders might not have much, but they like to feel that they have MORE than inner city blacks, Mexican immigrants, and po' azz trailer trash.  If healthcare is equally available to all,  well, there will be fewer people for the growing white underclass to feel superior to.

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 08/08/09 at 1:07 am

I believe Max called it earlier.  He said something to the effect that socialized healthcare wouldn't be implemented in its proper form even with a Dem supermajority and Obama as prez because of the power of the pharm and insurance lobbies.

With the way things are going, I believe his prediction is correct.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/09 at 11:50 am

"Recess" is the operative word here.
:P

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/09 at 8:01 am

I believe Max called it earlier.  He said something to the effect that socialized healthcare wouldn't be implemented in its proper form even with a Dem supermajority and Obama as prez because of the power of the pharm and insurance lobbies.

With the way things are going, I believe his prediction is correct.

Oh yes, I agree with you guys on that point.

Money takes precedence over ideology for the majority of politicians of either party.

Written By: tv on 08/09/09 at 5:09 pm

I believe the people at the Townhalls were not organized but the protests outside with the people with their posters were "organized protesters".

I don't like people at the townhalls screaming at our US senators(regardless of party affiliation) I mean how do you expect our senators to get you heard if your screaming at them? I mean even the organized protesters outside with their posters were very rude to Texas Democratic Senator Lloyd Doggett.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/09/09 at 8:08 pm

I believe the people at the Townhalls were not organized but the protests outside with the people with their posters were "organized protesters".

I don't like people at the townhalls screaming at our US senators(regardless of party affiliation) I mean how do you expect our senators to get you heard if your screaming at them? I mean even the organized protesters outside with their posters were very rude to Texas Democratic Senator Lloyd Doggett.

Aren't they getting people from areas outside of the district that the meeting is held to protest?  Yeah, the protest are becoming downright disrespectful.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/09 at 11:56 pm

One more thing about the pathology infecting this country -- it has a high degree of envy and jealousy.  It is not so much what YOU have, it's what the other fellow does not.  It is imperative that YOU have more and better than the other fellow no matter how dearly it costs you. 

Oh, it's not just that.  It's devolved past that.  It's pure tribalism.  It's not "Whatever it is, I'm agin' it", it's "If the guy with the other tribal sigil - be it an elephant or a jackass - is for it, I'm agin' it". 

Elephants, 2008:  We're in power, and our tribal leaders want warrantless wiretapping.  Jackasses are soft on terrur, those dirty m00slim-luvin' terrists!
Jackasses, 2008:  We're out of power, and the Elephant Tribe supports warrantless wiretapping.  Damn Elephants are like the KGB, but worse. 
Elephants, 2009:  We're out of power, and the Jackass Tribe could be listening in on us!  Jackasses are just as bad as the KGB!
Jackasses, 2009:  We're in power, and the Elephant tribe doesn't want us to listen in on their calls.  Those Elephants must all be hiding something, those dirty neo-nazi terrorists.

Everyone else:  A pox on both your houses.  You're gonna do whatever you wanna do, to whomever you wanna do it, and take however much money you want from us in the process, so we might as well just put up with it.

Repeat, ad nauseam, for every issue from trillion-dollar bank bailouts to trillion-dollar health care reform. 

Net winner: The (demopublican) Party.  Anyone with half a brain just walks away from the system entirely, and membership in any political party becomes the province of fanatics.

Now Playing: Birmingham 6: The Deadliest Beat.  (Ridiculous words from ridiculous men: 'accept reality'...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/09 at 12:03 am

The HealthBaggers seem to be saying: ObamaCare is gonna ruin my American way of life:

Living in a house for which I can't afford the mortgage, paying health insurance premiums for which I cannot afford the deductibles, owning two cars on which I cannot afford the payments, owning four credit cards on which I cannot aflord the interest, paying into a pension plan from which I may never draw, sending my kids to college to amass debt they never be able to pay off..

Boy, oh, boy, what a spendid American dream.  Get me some of that!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/09 at 12:45 am

The HealthBaggers seem to be saying: ObamaCare is gonna ruin my American way of life:

Living in a house for which I can't afford the mortgage, paying health insurance premiums for which I cannot afford the deductibles, owning two cars on which I cannot afford the payments, owning four credit cards on which I cannot aflord the interest, paying into a pension plan from which I may never draw, sending my kids to college to amass debt they never be able to pay off..

Hey, why not help the economy by pouring sodium silicate into one of those cars instead of motor oil.  Rev it until the engine seizes, and get $4500 off your next automotive purchase!  Under the reformed health insurance plan, you can keep your current health insurer!  Your tax dollars are now going to fund the people who couldn't pay off their credit cards, but don't worry about dying bankrupt when you can't pay off yours -- with the Democrats in power, Social Security will be "saved".  (It'll be saved because you'll never get to draw from it, but hey, when the boomers asked what you wanted, you said you wanted it saved, you didn't say you wanted to draw from it!)

Boy, oh, boy, what a spendid American dream.  Get me some of that! ::)

Yeah, man!  The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/09 at 8:28 am

Hey, why not help the economy by pouring sodium silicate into one of those cars instead of motor oil.  Rev it until the engine seizes, and get $4500 off your next automotive purchase!  Under the reformed health insurance plan, you can keep your current health insurer!  Your tax dollars are now going to fund the people who couldn't pay off their credit cards, but don't worry about dying bankrupt when you can't pay off yours -- with the Democrats in power, Social Security will be "saved".  (It'll be saved because you'll never get to draw from it, but hey, when the boomers asked what you wanted, you said you wanted it saved, you didn't say you wanted to draw from it!)

Yeah, man!  The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!  :)

Well, I use I as a hypothetical here.  My own prospects are, erm, a bit dimmer!

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/10/09 at 10:43 am

The pessimism on this board is getting very depressing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/09 at 12:15 pm

http://danzigercartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dancart4066.jpg

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/news/tease/2009/08/07/0807_The_Town_Hall_Meeting_.jpg

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/10/09 at 4:24 pm

No one has chimed in about Sarah Palins take on reform

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil."

and there are people who still think she is credible  ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/10/09 at 5:04 pm

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil."

and there are people who still think she is credible   ::)

I thought Universal Health Care meant you treat every patient according to their needs?  The health care plans says nothing about singling out, in fact it's the opposite.  My question is why should a down syndrome child born in poverty be barred from getting the health care needed in order to thrive?  I'm pretty sure she doesn't consider that health care reform could help disabled children who are less fortunate than Trig.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/09 at 5:28 pm

and there are people who still think she is credible   ::)

The thing is, she is describing some insurance companies.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/09 at 6:23 pm

I just saw on the CBS News that apparently the pharmaceutical companies are in favor of the health care reform and that they will start a fairly big ad campaign to support it.

Will we hear cries of "It must be bad if corporate America is for it" ? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/09 at 8:08 pm

I just saw on the CBS News that apparently the pharmaceutical companies are in favor of the health care reform and that they will start a fairly big ad campaign to support it.

What I suspect is the jig is up and Big Pharma knows it.  They're getting on the bandwagon 'cos it's safe now.  I think we're about to see 1993 redux.  What'll come out of this will concentrate more power and profit in the hands of the few big insurance and pharmaceutical companies.  I voted for them Dems again and sure as the sun rises in the east, they sold out again. 

To think of it, Tom Daschle was feeding personal info about his former colleagues to UnitedHealth Group for whom he is shilling.  Christ, what a worm! I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his tax evasion charges last winter.  F**k him.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/10/09 at 8:37 pm

I was going to go check Arlen Specter out at a town hall meeting tomorrow but I was told not to go for my own safety and sanity.  Teabaggers are being bussed in. :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/09 at 8:39 pm

they loved the huge giveaway that was the Medicare drug benefit that Bush signed into law a few years ago.  They have huge lobbying firms, so if they're in favor of it, I'm sure they've figured out an angle for themselves.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/11/09 at 1:30 am

I was going to go check Arlen Specter out at a town hall meeting tomorrow but I was told not to go for my own safety and sanity.  Teabaggers are being bussed in. :P

No disrespect intended, but you shoulda gone.

http://thedanashow.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/iamthemob1.jpg

I don't care what side of the issue you're on.  If you're scared of people like that, just skip politics altogether and take what your rulers give ya.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oee/fasi/thumbnailrockwellfourfreedomsspeech.jpg

I don't care what side of whatever political issue this guy was on when Norman Rockwell painted him in the American equivalent of Socialist realism.  I don't even care what the issue was.  Just show up and speak your mind.

Frack George Lucas.  Freedom dies not to thunderous applause.  It dies when people stop daring to debate - or even so much as roll their eyes  - at people with whom they disagree.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/11/09 at 5:24 am

Today the prez is going to be in a town hall meeting in New Hampshire. Should be interesting

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 6:32 am

I voted for them Dems again and sure as the sun rises in the east, they sold out again. 

And you were surprised? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/09 at 9:54 am

now show the mob outside screaming "socialist" and burning effigies.

Disgraceful to even make a comparison with this picture.  A man standing up to ask a question in a polite but firm manner is a far, far cry from what this mob has been doing in the name of "free speech".

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 11:30 am

Seems that the SEIU has sent out its goons to physically assault people outside the town meetings, see attached video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqpfU_AC7Ls

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 3:24 pm

No disrespect intended, but you shoulda gone.

I don't care what side of the issue you're on.  If you're scared of people like that, just skip politics altogether and take what your rulers give ya.

I don't care what side of whatever political issue this guy was on when Norman Rockwell painted him in the American equivalent of Socialist realism.  I don't even care what the issue was.  Just show up and speak your mind.

Frack George Lucas.  Freedom dies not to thunderous applause.  It dies when people stop daring to debate - or even so much as roll their eyes  - at people with whom they disagree.

I did go. :)  No I wasn't scared however my better half and ride there was scared for me.  Arlen did a great job.  Both sides were present.  I didn't get to talk to Arlen. :\'(  By the way for me to back down for politics is unthinkable. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 3:25 pm

Seems that the SEIU has sent out its goons to physically assault people outside the town meetings, see attached video:

This is after they've gotten death threats.  It's all fair LyricBoy.  There's two sides to this.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 4:17 pm

This is after they've gotten death threats.  It's all fair LyricBoy.  There's two sides to this.

Hmmm...  I have not heard of any physical asaaults by the anti-Obamacare forces.  Got any links?

"Death threats" are unverifiable, because if they were, somebody would be in jail.  In this case, the SEIU goons are on video beating the cr@p outta that guy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 4:26 pm

Hmmm...  I have not heard of any physical asaaults by the anti-Obamacare forces.  Got any links?

"Death threats" are unverifiable, because if they were, somebody would be in jail.  In this case, the SEIU goons are on video beating the cr@p outta that guy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/tampa-town-hall-on-health_n_253478.html

Oh and in this day of technology it's pretty easy to get away with something done by email and almost untraceable, which is why there's so much spam. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 4:28 pm

Hmmm...  I have not heard of any physical asaaults by the anti-Obamacare forces.  Got any links?

"Death threats" are unverifiable, because if they were, somebody would be in jail.  In this case, the SEIU goons are on video beating the cr@p outta that guy.

BTW, I was threatened when I went to Specter's town hall meeting, damnation and some woman threatened to punch my lights out.  

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 4:51 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/tampa-town-hall-on-health_n_253478.html

Oh and in this day of technology it's pretty easy to get away with something done by email and almost untraceable, which is why there's so much spam. 

I could not see very much of the video on those links because of my crappy connection, I'll try again tonite.

But the little I did see was mild compared to the normal stuff you see on union picket lines.

Of course when union organizers like SEIU and USWA do this sort of thing, they are "freedom fighters" and "fighting for the working man".

I still have not seen any video of the anti-obamacare protesters beating the cr@p outta some guy who was on the ground, like the SEIU guys were doing to that guy.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/11/09 at 4:59 pm

Oh, please.  One guy got into a beef with another guy, people from both sides jumped in to stop it.  It hardly ranks as a goon squad.  I will expect you will probably try to accuse me of agreeing with this type of stuff, so before you do, nothing could be further from the truth.  I am glad the guy got arrested, this sort of crap is for half wits, just like all the yelling and screaming and accusations of people being forced to go before a panel who will decide if they are viable human beings under the Obama plan. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/09 at 6:09 pm

...and accusations of people being forced to go before a panel who will decide if they are viable human beings under the Obama plan. 

Note that this particular issue arose because the DEMOCRATIC ex-Lt Governor (I think of New Jersey, just saw this on the CBS News) came out and emphatically (albeit incorrectly) said that proposals were made that it would be MANDATORY that senior citizens be counseled on euthenasia.

So it is understandable that some people got upset and that story has taken on a life of its own...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 6:28 pm

Note that this particular issue arose because the DEMOCRATIC ex-Lt Governor (I think of New Jersey, just saw this on the CBS News) came out and emphatically (albeit incorrectly) said that proposals were made that it would be MANDATORY that senior citizens be counseled on euthenasia.

So it is understandable that some people got upset and that story has taken on a life of its own...

Right to life is also the right to end ones own life.  Counseled does not mean forced.  But yeah, if taken the wrong way it can be upsetting.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/11/09 at 7:59 pm

Teabaggers are being bussed in. :P

Those lobbyists have gotten truly disgusting now...  :o  j/k  lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/09 at 8:25 pm

Yeah!  Old white people never hurt anybody!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/11/09 at 8:42 pm

Those lobbyists have gotten truly disgusting now...   :o  j/k  lol

Yeah, no yellow school buses.  Usual commercial tour bus.  I was so disappointed. Back in the 60's it was cool to go to protest in a school bus.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/09 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, no yellow school buses.  Usual commercial tour bus.  I was so disappointed. Back in the 60's it was cool to go to protest in a school bus.

Well, some of 'em took the train, and the Ku Klux Klan was waiting at the station to beat the living zhit out of 'em!

The jagoffs at the "town halls" are just minus the hood and the sheets, thassall!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/09 at 9:43 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/11/jon-stewart-vs-town-hall_n_256272.html

Jon Stewart covers it best as always...

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/09 at 10:06 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/11/health-care-protesters-la_n_256013.html

turns out most of these "protesters" aren't even from the same district.  The whole "talk to your representative" is a load of you know what...

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/12/09 at 10:54 am

And this is what? A surprise?  NOT

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/09 at 7:05 pm

And this is what? A surprise?  NOT

it is for the neocons.  They think freedom of speech is the right to interrupt someone and yell "SOCIALIST" at them at the top of their voice. 

the funniest one though was "We're afraid of Obama!!" 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/09 at 7:27 pm

oh... did anyone watch that Daily Show clip?  he has some priceless footage of a town meeting with a Republican politician where they boo him because he says "Turn off Glenn Beck".  Perhaps the most sane member of the GOP right there.  If he was in my district I'd consider voting for him.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/12/09 at 10:46 pm

oh... did anyone watch that Daily Show clip?  he has some priceless footage of a town meeting with a Republican politician where they boo him because he says "Turn off Glenn Beck".  Perhaps the most sane member of the GOP right there.  If he was in my district I'd consider voting for him.

Beck is pretty pathetic (as my sig shows).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/09 at 11:07 pm

Jon Stewart has been brilliant on this issue!
;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/13/09 at 5:06 am

Beck is pretty pathetic (as my sig shows).

So are Savage, Colter, O'Reilly, Rush, and those of that ilk,  but still conservatives fawn over them.  I still cannot figure what that is all about(besides mean spirited)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/13/09 at 9:14 am

So are Savage, Colter, O'Reilly, Rush, and those of that ilk,  but still conservatives fawn over them.  I still cannot figure what that is all about(besides mean spirited)

That's why I was so glad to see a Republican politician call one of them out.  It's something they need to do more often.

here's some more "free speech" at a Town Hall "meeting"

http://wonkette.com/410463/wingnut-grabs-black-ladys-rosa-parks-poster-rips-it-up

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/13/09 at 2:20 pm

And did you notice that they arrested the woman with the sign first?  What was that about?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/13/09 at 5:03 pm

And did you notice that they arrested the woman with the sign first?  What was that about?

I think we all know  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/13/09 at 5:37 pm

it is for the neocons.  They think freedom of speech is the right to interrupt someone and yell "SOCIALIST" at them at the top of their voice. 

the funniest one though was "We're afraid of Obama!!" 

Well they are just exercising their first amendment right.  The right to scream and be obnoxious at a meeting.  If that doesn't work then they use their second amendment right and when arrested say God told them to do it which goes under freedom of religion.  It's all logical, really it is. ::)

Afraid of Obama, hmmm one man or is it the fear of new ideals and progressive thinking?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/13/09 at 5:40 pm

That's why I was so glad to see a Republican politician call one of them out.   It's something they need to do more often.

here's some more "free speech" at a Town Hall "meeting"

http://wonkette.com/410463/wingnut-grabs-black-ladys-rosa-parks-poster-rips-it-up

Racism at it's purist.  Angry white people are terrified because minorities now have a say.  Case in point right-wing militias are increasing and so are hate groups.  Somehow they like to tie this all in to health care.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/13/09 at 8:10 pm

Racism at it's purist.  Angry white people are terrified because minorities now have a say.  Case in point right-wing militias are increasing and so are hate groups.  Somehow they like to tie this all in to health care.

Well, consider this.  The black lady injected racism into the discussion by bringing Rosa Parks into it.

The white man reacted accordingly.  It doesn't justify what the white man did, but it provides a context for why it happened.

If you bring imagery of the civil rights movement into a discussion of healthcare, that's one of the quickest ways to get racist people to react.  So, what had started out as a non-racial issue became one partially because of the black lady displaying that poster.

That being said, America does seem to have an excess of lunatics.  There is a very real possibility that I will be in Canada within the next 5 to 10 years, and this craziness is a good starting point for why leaving might be a really good idea.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/09 at 8:35 pm

Well, consider this.  The black lady injected racism into the discussion by bringing Rosa Parks into it.

The white man reacted accordingly.  It doesn't justify what the white man did, but it provides a context for why it happened.

If you bring imagery of the civil rights movement into a discussion of healthcare, that's one of the quickest ways to get racist people to react.  So, what had started out as a non-racial issue became one partially because of the black lady displaying that poster.

So you're saying that old prick was indeed the racist and the black lady shouldn't have rattled the racist cage.  Come on!  You can't be serious!  Dude, that's sick!

It seems to me comparisons with the civil rights movement are more than a little appropriate here.  Are we to continue to be divided into a nation between those who can afford good medical care and those who cannot?  

These angry white people seem to think that if poor blacks get access to the same health care they have, then something will have to be taken away from them (the white folks), after all, equality is un-American, isn't it?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 08/13/09 at 9:31 pm

So you're saying that old prick was indeed the racist and the black lady shouldn't have rattled the racist cage.  Come on!  You can't be serious!  Dude, that's sick!

I wasn't making the statement that she shouldn't do that.  That's a decision up to her.  I'm not making a judgment on her rationale.

I'm just saying that you have to expect racists to react to certain things like that.  In other words, be prepared.  You have to be a little paranoid while you engage in activism, otherwise, you'll have your property destroyed or you'll get attacked.

I'm just glad that the destruction of a poster is all that happened.  It could've been much worse given some of the extremists that live in this crazy country.

It seems to me comparisons with the civil rights movement are more than a little appropriate here.  Are we to continue to be divided into a nation between those who can afford good medical care and those who cannot?  

Well, to be fair, drawing attention to race is a quick way to spark separate reactions by race.

These angry white people seem to think that if poor blacks get access to the same health care they have, then something will have to be taken away from them (the white folks), after all, equality is un-American, isn't it?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

Pretty much, but then again, they're angry at all poor people.  They have no more interest in helping a poor white person get healthcare than a poor black person.

What I'm saying is that this is a class issue, not a race one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/09 at 9:42 pm

I don't think we have to accept violence as a way to solve disagreements.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/13/09 at 9:51 pm

Anticipating things is quite different from accepting them.

For the record, I hope the racist guy gets prosecuted for destroying private property.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/09 at 6:30 am

That being said, America does seem to have an excess of lunatics.  There is a very real possibility that I will be in Canada within the next 5 to 10 years, and this craziness is a good starting point for why leaving might be a really good idea.

Then you will be able to grab some of the nice socialized medicine.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/14/09 at 8:02 am

They took our jerbs!!!!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/jhonka1/jerbs.jpg

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 1:31 pm

We just got back from a town hall meeting with Sen. Bernie Sanders. It was at a church and there were so many people there that they couldn't fit everyone in the church-some of us stayed outside. And MAN WAS IT HOT!!!!  Bernie kept going in and out taking people's questions. He was being very fair. He had people in two lines-one that agreed with Obama & Bernie and one that didn't. He took questions/comments from BOTH lines (and took questions from people inside the church as well as out).

For the most part, people were pretty civil. At one time there was a group of people in back (outside) shouting. I just stood up and held up the sign I was holding that read "Health Care is a human right". A few others saw what I was doing and did the same. I don't know for sure but I think one of the people who was shouting was our elected State House rep (a Republican who we can't stand and would LOVE to vote him out). Those people didn't shout for very long. Also, when it was over, there was a guy with a bullhorn saying about keeping government out of health care. Carlos asked if he was from Vermont. He said he was. We believe most of the people were from Vermont-because we knew a lot of the faces in the crowd-on both sides of the issue.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/15/09 at 2:40 pm

Not much else to add, except it was classic Burnie.  But it is remarkable how this silly Death Panel nonsense as gotten friction. 

Written By: Macphisto on 08/15/09 at 3:36 pm

Then you will be able to grab some of the nice socialized medicine.

Pretty much.  Canada's system isn't as good as France's or Norway's, but it's better than ours.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/09 at 5:01 pm

We just got back from a town hall meeting with Sen. Bernie Sanders. It was at a church and there were so many people there that they couldn't fit everyone in the church-some of us stayed outside. And MAN WAS IT HOT!!!!  Bernie kept going in and out taking people's questions. He was being very fair. He had people in two lines-one that agreed with Obama & Bernie and one that didn't. He took questions/comments from BOTH lines (and took questions from people inside the church as well as out).

For the most part, people were pretty civil. At one time there was a group of people in back (outside) shouting. I just stood up and held up the sign I was holding that read "Health Care is a human right". A few others saw what I was doing and did the same. I don't know for sure but I think one of the people who was shouting was our elected State House rep (a Republican who we can't stand and would LOVE to vote him out). Those people didn't shout for very long. Also, when it was over, there was a guy with a bullhorn saying about keeping government out of health care. Carlos asked if he was from Vermont. He said he was. We believe most of the people were from Vermont-because we knew a lot of the faces in the crowd-on both sides of the issue.

Cat

Great job!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Ironically, Sanders could handle the out-of-state rabble better than most.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 5:43 pm

Great job!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Ironically, Sanders could handle the out-of-state rabble better than most.

I think the out-of-state rabble didn't appear because they are afraid of Bernie.

Cat

Written By: tv on 08/15/09 at 6:04 pm

Pretty much.  Canada's system isn't as good as France's or Norway's, but it's better than ours.
Than how come people who live in Canada come to the US for majior surgeries? I mean I heard you have to wait to get surgery for months or wait to get a surgeons name for 6 months in Canada. I don't want Canada's system I have heart disease and was born with it(I'm only 29) and I fear if the US ever went to a Canadian style health care system. The Canadian health care system is good if you only need routine check-ups like every 6 months to once every year.

Written By: tv on 08/15/09 at 6:08 pm

O' Reily is a nice guy I think I don;t think he's mean spirited. I don't like Rush Limbaugh and never heard of Savage.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/09 at 6:08 pm

Than how come people who live in Canada come to the US for majior surgeries? I mean I heard you have to wait to get surgery for months or wait to get a surgeons name for 6 months in Canada. I don't want Canada's system I have heart disease and was born with it(I'm only 29) and I fear if the US ever went to a Canadian style health care system. The Canadian health care system is good if you only need routine check-ups like every 6 months to once every year.

Check the qualifications on that.  Elective surgeries can take forever.  I have a very close friend who married and moved to Canada.  She was surprised at the level of misinformation.  When coming to the states to see her family she has to buy a type of travelers insurance for the duration of the trip because of the problems she would face trying to get care without it.  She never stays very long.

Written By: tv on 08/15/09 at 6:11 pm

For one I agree with you Max.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 6:13 pm

It's on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxHQZ-qX1JY

At the beginning of it, that is my big head right in front (with the red hair).  :D ;D ;D ;D

You can also see my back at the 3 minute mark.

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE87lm161sw

You can see the back of my head on this one, too. I'm the one holding up the sign about half way, through.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/15/09 at 9:31 pm

O' Reily is a nice guy I think I don;t think he's mean spirited. I don't like Rush Limbaugh and never heard of Savage.

Ever heard the man throw a temper tantrum?  No O'Reily is far from being a nice guy.  Savage is completely and totally off his rocker.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/15/09 at 11:54 pm

O'Reilly is pretty crazy -- not as crazy as Beck, Limbaugh, and Savage, but still crazy....

Think Prothero from V for Vendetta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBpsyFbEOs

This rant paints a very ironic future for America.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/09 at 12:10 am

O'Reilly is pretty crazy -- not as crazy as Beck, Limbaugh, and Savage, but still crazy....

Letterman nailed O'Reilly when he called him a "goon."  Limbaugh is just a mouthpiece for the right-wing of the GOP.  Savage is crazy as catsh*t, but actually rather intelligent.  Beck is crazy as catsh*t AND dumb as a bag of doorknobs.  A great combo!
:P

Written By: tv on 08/17/09 at 4:41 pm

Why do you say O' Reily is crazy? He just tells like it is in my opinion. I used to like Beck but he's too depressing now.

Written By: tv on 08/17/09 at 4:43 pm

Ever heard the man throw a temper tantrum?  No O'Reily is far from being a nice guy.  Savage is completely and totally off his rocker.
Wh iis this Savage guy anyway?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/09 at 9:51 pm

Wh iis this Savage guy anyway?

He's a syndicated radio talk show host somewhere to the right of Benito Mussolini. 

Here's what happened when they tried to give Michael Savage his own Saturday show on MSNBC.  He put the "turd" back in Saturday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMtrpHjD2is

Written By: Macphisto on 08/17/09 at 10:07 pm

He's a syndicated radio talk show host somewhere to the right of Benito Mussolini. 

Here's what happened when they tried to give Michael Savage his own Saturday show on MSNBC.  He put the "turd" back in Saturday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMtrpHjD2is

He didn't react well to that prank...  lol

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/18/09 at 9:31 am

Why do you say O' Reily is crazy? He just tells like it is in my opinion. I used to like Beck but he's too depressing now.

Bilbo the clown (as Keith calls him) makes it up as he goes along.  He tells it like he wishes it were.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/20/09 at 7:45 am

This is too creepy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHRs53rbAg&feature=related

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/20/09 at 7:48 am

And so is this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBd7bHFnO4Y&feature=PlayList&p=7278A9564EAF79E1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

Written By: tv on 08/20/09 at 11:45 am

Bilbo the clown (as Keith calls him) makes it up as he goes along.  He tells it like he wishes it were.
Keith ans Bill do not like each other I don't think and Keith makes fun of O' Reily as you said. I agree disagree to do disagree with you on O'Reily.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/23/09 at 2:35 am

This is too creepy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHRs53rbAg&feature=related

While Lou Dobbs is a hypocrite, he does make one good point.  Illegals really do pollute the hell out of our border.

The way I see it, the prevalence of illegals in various jobs here shows that the only thing a large portion of our population is loyal to is saving a few bucks.

We do everything on the cheap...  except for healthcare, of course.

Our priorities are so f***ed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/09 at 11:04 am

While Lou Dobbs is a hypocrite, he does make one good point.  Illegals really do pollute the hell out of our border.

The way I see it, the prevalence of illegals in various jobs here shows that the only thing a large portion of our population is loyal to is saving a few bucks.

We do everything on the cheap...  except for healthcare, of course.

Our priorities are so f***ed.

American lardasses would last about 1-1/2 days doing the stoop-and-pick labor Mexican immigrants do for 3 months, not to mention living in those conditions.  They might be "illegal," but they've got the kind of iron constitutions gringos just don't have anymore.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/23/09 at 11:30 am

American lardasses would last about 1-1/2 days doing the stoop-and-pick labor Mexican immigrants do for 3 months, not to mention living in those conditions.  They might be "illegal," but they've got the kind of iron constitutions gringos just don't have anymore.

Which is why America lardasses hire them and hope they don't get busted for doing it.  All the while attending anti-immigration rallies.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/23/09 at 12:10 pm

Give it time.  After a few decades more of skyrocketing healthcare costs and the growth of the underclass, 90% of us will be picking fruit, shoveling shi*, and landscaping for the rich elite.

Thanks to globalization, we'll all be "Mexicans" soon enough.  The only upside to this situation will be that race truly won't matter.  We'll all be equally poor -- except for the rich elite, of course.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/23/09 at 12:14 pm

Which is why America lardasses hire them and hope they don't get busted for doing it.  All the while attending anti-immigration rallies.

True.  I have to admit that I'm not necessarily against letting anyone and everyone in.  If you think about it, the only way we'll actually have much progress in terms of economic policy with regard to healthcare and such is to literally create a situation so dire that it collapses.

It took a Great Depression for the New Deal to occur, and it might take another for socialized healthcare.  If we completely open our borders to all of the world's poor, the underclass will become large enough and powerful enough to overthrow the powers that be.

It will just be extremely bloody in the short run.

Written By: tv on 08/23/09 at 5:16 pm

True.  I have to admit that I'm not necessarily against letting anyone and everyone in.  If you think about it, the only way we'll actually have much progress in terms of economic policy with regard to healthcare and such is to literally create a situation so dire that it collapses.

It took a Great Depression for the New Deal to occur, and it might take another for socialized healthcare.  If we completely open our borders to all of the world's poor, the underclass will become large enough and powerful enough to overthrow the powers that be.

It will just be extremely bloody in the short run.
Very true.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/09 at 12:28 am

I keep seeing a bunch of semi-psychotic old extras from Deliverance who don't even know what decade it is, they just don't want the fay-duh-ruhl gummint gettin' 'volved in anythin' their lives....

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/09 at 7:37 am

I keep seeing a bunch of semi-psychotic old extras from Deliverance who don't even know what decade it is, they just don't want the fay-duh-ruhl gummint gettin' 'volved in anythin' their lives....

true dat!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/04/09 at 5:13 pm

It gets even worse....

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Finger+Bite+Victim+at+Town+Hall&btnG=Search&meta=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/09 at 7:21 pm

The guy who lost the finger is the one who started throwing the punches.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/04/09 at 8:16 pm

I am really happy to be Canadian, right now...

Written By: Jessica on 09/04/09 at 8:33 pm

Ah yes, the finger bite victim who is against healthcare reform and the government being involved in his healthcare.....yet has Medicare.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/09 at 9:09 pm

I am really happy to be Canadian, right now...

You don't know the half of it...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/04/09 at 9:21 pm

You don't know the half of it...

Enlighten me, then....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/09 at 8:23 pm

Enlighten me, then....

You don't want that. 

You just be tankful for what you got up der in Ca-na-dah, eh?

;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/05/09 at 9:26 pm

After seeing this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNusDI9JwoQ&feature=related

I'm with this guy, I am just as mad as him.

Behave, darn it everyone!  Quit acting like god ******* damn kindergarteners!

>:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/05/09 at 9:35 pm

You don't want that. 

You just be tankful for what you got up der in Ca-na-dah, eh?

;)

You just got plus karama, Max.

Check for new replies or respond here...