» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Laura Ling...

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/09 at 12:24 pm

You know, the more I think about Laura Ling and the other "journalist" who snuck into North Korea illegally and got thrown into the slammer, the more I am getting a severe case of chapped butt over it.

Today she admitted to the press that she indeed did cross into North Korea.  And yesterday I read where her sister Lisa had snuck into North Korea a couple a years ago to do some sort of piece for National Geographic.

These two thrill-seekers did nothing but put the interests of the United States of America at risk.  Their captivity complicated already-messy diplomatic matters, and in the end gave Kim Jong-Il the platform to request a special visit by a former president to get them released.

Somebody should be sending Ling and her pal a rather large bill for services rendered, due to her foolish adventurism.

Subject: Re: Laura Ling...

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/09 at 12:36 pm

Lyric-Boy--on this post--I agree with you 100%

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/09 at 12:59 pm

Lyric-Boy--on this post--I agree with you 100%

Wow... the football has indeed bounced in my direction for a change!  ;D

Thanx B-A-D !!!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/07/09 at 3:16 pm

No respect for Country's boarders.  So they had the right to detain. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/09 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, they were young and naive and they effed up.  I don't see them as heroes.  However, I don't think they deserved to be left to rot in a North Korean jail to suffer god-knows-what horrible fate. 

Written By: Macphisto on 08/08/09 at 1:04 am

Somebody should be sending Ling and her pal a rather large bill for services rendered, due to her foolish adventurism.

I agree.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/09 at 4:44 am

I feel the same.  They shouldn't be held up as heroines and get all the press coverage as if they were victims.  What they did was stupid and self serving, just like the three who are in Iran right now, and should be a warning to others. The word should go out that this isn't a free pass to their 15 minutes of fame. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/09 at 8:53 pm

Hmmm.. A quite unusual alignment of the planets on this issue here on the board.

And yet, judging from the television coverage of Laura's Awesome Adventure, you would think that those two were modern day martyrs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/09 at 9:03 pm

Hmmm.. A quite unusual alignment of the planets on this issue here on the board.

And yet, judging from the television coverage of Laura's Awesome Adventure, you would think that those two were modern day martyrs.

You gotta die first to be a martyr.  Thank god Slick Willie fished 'em out of the shark tank before that happened!

Written By: Frank on 08/09/09 at 12:27 am

Yeah, they were young and naive and they effed up.  I don't see them as heroes.  However, I don't think they deserved to be left to rot in a North Korean jail to suffer god-knows-what horrible fate. 

Agreed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/09 at 7:58 am

You gotta die first to be a martyr.  Thank god Slick Willie fished 'em out of the shark tank before that happened!

"fished 'em out of the shark tank"... is that what they call it now?  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 08/09/09 at 11:52 am

"fished 'em out of the shark tank"... is that what they call it now?   ;D

I guess "Having a Cigar" has become too cliché.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/09 at 12:02 am

These two thrill-seekers did nothing but put the interests of the United States of America at risk.  Their captivity complicated already-messy diplomatic matters, and in the end gave Kim Jong-Il the platform to request a special visit by a former president to get them released.

Already karma'd you, but yeah.  What you said.

Doesn't matter if it was 30 days, 30 minutes, 30 seconds, or 30 milliseconds.  Borders matter.  There are some lines you just don't cross. 

Check for new replies or respond here...