» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 33 ... Rolling Rock and Glenn Beck have that number in common now

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/24/09 at 12:01 pm

in Beck's case it's the number of advertisers who have pulled their ads from his "show"

Attack on Obama riles Beck's Advertisers

Subject: Re: 33 ... Rolling Rock and Glenn Beck have that number in common now

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 2:39 pm

in Beck's case it's the number of advertisers who have pulled their ads from his "show"

Attack on Obama riles Beck's Advertisers

Because as we all know, censorship is perfectly acceptable so long as it's directed towards those we disagree with.  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/24/09 at 2:51 pm

Because as we all know, censorship is perfectly acceptable so long as it's directed towards those we disagree with.  ::)

really?  Then I'm sure you were totally against all those Christian right attempts at boycotting Disney and other companies over the past few years. 

I guess the difference here is that this boycott is actually working.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/24/09 at 3:19 pm

This song is dedicated to Glenn Beck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 3:32 pm

really?  Then I'm sure you were totally against all those Christian right attempts at boycotting Disney and other companies over the past few years.  

I guess the difference here is that this boycott is actually working.

Well, people should boycott Disney.

Not because of any policy that somehow favors some kind of "pro-gay agenda,"  I could care less about that.

People need to boycott Disney because it keeps forcing all these lame, corporate no-talent acts like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers on the youth of America, and it is sucking out the last remainder of what little soul we had left in our culture.

Disney is a cancer on the face of this planet and it must be destroyed.

So, if another sponsor pulls out of Beck's show, are you gonna say that he now shares the same number with Walter Payton? Or perhaps Kirby Puckett?   ::) ::) ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/24/09 at 4:05 pm

Gotta love this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_AkE6HhXG8&feature=related

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/24/09 at 4:19 pm

So, if another sponsor pulls out of Beck's show, are you gonna say that he now shares the same number with Walter Payton? Or perhaps Kirby Puckett?   ::) ::) ::)

it's just a catchy title... I'm not following it often enough to update it each time another sponsor drops out... been a couple each week (since this took place back in July)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 4:34 pm

it's just a catchy title... I'm not following it often enough to update it each time another sponsor drops out... been a couple each week (since this took place back in July)

I know, I'm just being a smartass.  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/24/09 at 5:47 pm

I know, I'm just being a smartass.  ;)

I've got a bunch of Casey Kasem shows... might be fun to cut and paste him saying the numbers out of the show to do a Beck countdown

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/09 at 6:07 pm

I've got a bunch of Casey Kasem shows... might be fun to cut and paste him saying the numbers out of the show to do a Beck countdown

I don't know how many sponsors Ben Gleck actually has, but if the number should happen to get up to 69  then we almost certainly need to have some kind of celebration.  ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 08/24/09 at 7:15 pm

Censorship isn't illegal unless the government does it (although some forms of that are also legal).  A broadcaster has the right to censor its employees if it deems this necessary.  By the same token, advertizers have the right to withdraw their support if they disagree with the message of a show or channel.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/09 at 9:27 pm

I dig to beffer, er, beg to differ. 

A sponsor declining to advertise on a television program goes to the right of the sponsor to decide where it wants to pedal its goods and services.  A consumer informing a sponsor of a television program that he or she won't patronize the sponsor's business due to the content of said program goes to free speech.

Censorship (according to the First Amendment) would be the government, by legislation or adjudication, forbidding a television program to express a point of view.  Our government does indeed impose what one might call censorship on broadcast media via the FCC, but that's a murky debate...

Check for new replies or respond here...