» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Kennedy Legacy

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/09 at 6:41 am

Ted Kennedy has passed away.  Already, of course, on the condolence page saver has decided bring up Mary Jo.  I will counter that, although that was a disgrace, it seems to me that that incident is the primary reason his detractors can find to hate him.  I will counter by saying since that time Kennedy has worked to atone for his private sins, that is something that cannot be said of many of his contemporaries, whose tenures have, and continue to be, fraught with as much disgrace, but with less of an eye towards helping their constituents, as opposed to helping themselves.  His legislation has helped the poor, the disenfranchised, the working person, and the disabled.  It is sad when people who have so generously benefited from his tenure can't see that, although his colleagues in the Senate can. Among the causes he championed are The Americans With Disabilities Act, Women, Infants, and Children Program(seeing that poor and low income pregnant women and their young children receive adequate nutritional), the minimum wage, legislation that made it impossible for insurance companies to refuse to pay for a hospital bed for women who have given birth, legislation that made insurance companies continue to cover a womans pregnancy even if she wasn't married(these were women who had insurance and were paying premiums, but were denied coverage unless she married, yes this is true, 1982  I believe, I remember it well)

That is just the tip of the iceberg.  As a female, as a working person, as the mother of a child with a disablility, as an African American, as an American, I will always be grateful to, and thank the public man for what he has done.

Subject: Re: The Kennedy Legacy

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/26/09 at 6:49 am

Saver has no couth as usual.  Ted Kennedy was one heck of a Senator.  He had America's best interest at heart which never once lingered.  The Kennedy's may have their faults but it never got in the way of their duty towards their fellow countrymen (and women).  I only wish I could thank him for standing up for those who could not.  RIP Teddy, John and Bobby are waiting for you.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/09 at 8:59 am

Saver has no couth as usual.  Ted Kennedy was one heck of a Senator.  He had America's best interest at heart which never once lingered.  The Kennedy's may have their faults but it never got in the way of their duty towards their fellow countrymen (and women).  I only wish I could thank him for standing up for those who could not.  RIP Teddy, John and Bobby are waiting for you.

Joe, John, Rosemary, Bobby, Kathleen,Eunice, and Patricia.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/26/09 at 3:26 pm

That generation of Kennedys will go as the most powerful family in the 20th Century.

Which Kennedys will pass that torch now?

Written By: Frank on 08/26/09 at 3:52 pm

Ted Kennedy has passed away.  Already, of course, on the condolence page saver has decided bring up Mary Jo.  I will counter that, although that was a disgrace, it seems to me that that incident is the primary reason his detractors can find to hate him.  I will counter by saying since that time Kennedy has worked to atone for his private sins, that is something that cannot be said of many of his contemporaries, whose tenures have, and continue to be, fraught with as much disgrace, but with less of an eye towards helping their constituents, as opposed to helping themselves.  His legislation has helped the poor, the disenfranchised, the working person, and the disabled.  It is sad when people who have so generously benefited from his tenure can't see that, although his colleagues in the Senate can. Among the causes he championed are The Americans With Disabilities Act, Women, Infants, and Children Program(seeing that poor and low income pregnant women and their young children receive adequate nutritional), the minimum wage, legislation that made it impossible for insurance companies to refuse to pay for a hospital bed for women who have given birth, legislation that made insurance companies continue to cover a womans pregnancy even if she wasn't married(these were women who had insurance and were paying premiums, but were denied coverage unless she married, yes this is true, 1982  I believe, I remember it well)

That is just the tip of the iceberg.  As a female, as a working person, as the mother of a child with a disablility, as an African American, as an American, I will always be grateful to, and thank the public man for what he has done.

Very well written.

That generation of Kennedys will go as the most powerful family in the 20th Century.

They certainly will. If history would change just a bit, we could have been talking about the 3rd Kennedy President to pass away. (I am assuming Robert would have won in 1968 and without the Mary Jo incident, Ted may have won in 1980..I know that's a lot of ifs, bu think about it.)

Written By: ninny on 08/26/09 at 4:03 pm

You put it rather nicely, my daughter and grandson benefit from W.I.C program

Written By: Jessica on 08/26/09 at 5:50 pm

You put it rather nicely, my daughter and grandson benefit from W.I.C program

As did I, when Jason was younger.  It is a wonderful program, and ensured that I got what I needed to eat and that Jason had formula and baby cereal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/09 at 8:19 pm

I agree with Danoota on Kennedy's legislative prowess. 

Even though I knew he was dying for many months, his passing has left a peculiar sense of absence.  I am sad.
:\'(

I think Senator Ted was a man I took for granted as a Bay Stater.  He's always been around, and I never considered he wouldn't be.  So many Kennedys died by assassin's bullets and terrible accidents, but Ted was a rock.  Now he's gone.

On both a state and a national level, Kennedy's absence as a political force has yet to truly be felt.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/26/09 at 11:04 pm

RFK was probably the best Kennedy.  He gets the least recognition though....

Nevertheless, while I like a lot of the things Teddy accomplished, I'm a bit disturbed at how his seat looks like it will go to another Kennedy.  New England politics seem a bit dynastic at times.  Then again, I guess you could say the same for Alaska (the Murkowskis).

Written By: danootaandme on 08/27/09 at 6:02 am

RFK was probably the best Kennedy.  He gets the least recognition though....

Nevertheless, while I like a lot of the things Teddy accomplished, I'm a bit disturbed at how his seat looks like it will go to another Kennedy.  New England politics seem a bit dynastic at times.  Then again, I guess you could say the same for Alaska (the Murkowskis).

Bobby is a very well loved figure in Massachusetts, and his promise is deeply regretted here in Massachusetts.  We recognize what might have been, but you cannot blame the rest of the country for not dwelling on him.

What Kennedy do you think is going to take his seat? One of the reasons the passing of Teddy is so regretted is that the next generation is simply not viewed in the same light as their parents.  The only viable Kennedy would be Joe, and he has been rejecting what would be a shoe in in any race he would choose to run for the past 20 years or so. 

Politics in the whole of the United States is dynastic and fraught with patronage.  These are but a few easily recognizable names culled from the extensive wiki list

Bush
Carnahan
Daley
Dodd
Dulles
Gore
Rockefeller
Roosevelt
Symington
Udall

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/27/09 at 6:22 am

Which Kennedys will pass that torch now?

Patrick Kennedy is currently a congressman.  There's one other down in Maryland her last name is Townson who's in politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Kennedy_Townsend 

Then of course there's Robert Kennedy jr

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/09 at 6:52 am

Already, of course, on the condolence page saver has decided bring up Mary Jo.  I will counter that, although that was a disgrace, it seems to me that that incident is the primary reason his detractors can find to hate him.  I will counter by saying since that time Kennedy has worked to atone for his private sins,

I'll keep this at a civil discourse level so please do not take this post as vitriolic, and I would not post it on the "Obituary thread".

The big problem many have with Ted's "atonement" is that he never once apologized to Mary Jo's family.  Had he "manned up" and apologized for it, either in public or private, perhaps many more people would have cut him some slack.  All the legislation in the world does not substitute for acknowledging his actions to her family.  Instead, he handled it like a "poltician" and it made him a smaller person than he could have been.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/27/09 at 11:19 am

We all knew he was on his ninth life, but I wish he could have held out until he could have seen health insurance reform passed.  RIP Teddy

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/09 at 12:18 pm

Can't say that I am surprised but I am sad.

http://danzigercartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dancartKennedydead.jpg

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/27/09 at 1:09 pm

Politics in the whole of the United States is dynastic and fraught with patronage.  These are but a few easily recognizable names culled from the extensive wiki list

Bush
Carnahan
Daley
Dodd
Dulles
Gore
Rockefeller
Roosevelt
Symington
Udall

Don't forget the names Taft and Rhodes, they were very powerful names for the state of Ohio.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/27/09 at 1:33 pm

Don't forget the names Taft and Rhodes, they were very powerful names for the state of Ohio.

The Tafts have been around forever.  They've also been Republican forever too.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/27/09 at 5:57 pm

The Tafts have been around forever.  They've also been Republican forever too.

I listed some of the nationally known names.  Each state has its princes. 

The only Kennedys that are considered real Kennedys in Massachusetts are Caroline and Joe Kennedy, Bobbys son.  Caroline because she is Johns daughter, she moved to New York after college and we haven't really seen her since, and Joe because he stayed, was a congressman for a time, and works in a business the gets affordable heating for low income families.  The rest don't really rate on the radar.  If Joe decides to run for his uncles seat it is very possible that he could win.  He does have the ability, and a scandal or two in his past, and considering the names that are coming up in the field, I wouldn't have any problem voting for him.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/27/09 at 8:32 pm

I listed some of the nationally known names.  Each state has its princes. 

The only Kennedys that are considered real Kennedys in Massachusetts are Caroline and Joe Kennedy, Bobbys son.  Caroline because she is Johns daughter, she moved to New York after college and we haven't really seen her since, and Joe because he stayed, was a congressman for a time, and works in a business the gets affordable heating for low income families.  The rest don't really rate on the radar.  If Joe decides to run for his uncles seat it is very possible that he could win.  He does have the ability, and a scandal or two in his past, and considering the names that are coming up in the field, I wouldn't have any problem voting for him.

The Tafts are nationally known.

Joe Kennedy needs to run for congress again.  He's a bit more level headed than Patrick.  Caroline may run if a New York senate seat opens up again.  She didn't have enough support to do it this election cycle.  Robert Kennedy JR should hold office, his politics are in line with progressives and he is a well known talk show host.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/27/09 at 9:03 pm

I'll keep this at a civil discourse level so please do not take this post as vitriolic, and I would not post it on the "Obituary thread".

The big problem many have with Ted's "atonement" is that he never once apologized to Mary Jo's family.  Had he "manned up" and apologized for it, either in public or private, perhaps many more people would have cut him some slack.  All the legislation in the world does not substitute for acknowledging his actions to her family.  Instead, he handled it like a "poltician" and it made him a smaller person than he could have been.

There is no apology he could have ever given that would have made the conservatives stop hanging the corpse around his neck and using said corpse to fund raise based on her name for the past 40 years.  HOW do YOU know he never apologized to her family?  Because he didn't do it publicly?  Where is the outraged family demanding an apology after it happened? 

What the GOP should be doing is mourning the loss of their boogeyman.  They couldn't even kick Carter around as long as they did Kennedy.

I'll wait to pass judgment until I see whether Bush apologizes to the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis he killed with his lies.  I never saw Ted film a sketch mocking her death.

Written By: Frank on 08/28/09 at 2:02 am

Just wanted to share a pic of happier days.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/kennedyOld1705_468x604.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/09 at 4:34 am

There is no apology he could have ever given that would have made the conservatives stop hanging the corpse around his neck and using said corpse to fund raise based on her name for the past 40 years.  HOW do YOU know he never apologized to her family?  Because he didn't do it publicly?  Where is the outraged family demanding an apology after it happened? 

What the GOP should be doing is mourning the loss of their boogeyman.  They couldn't even kick Carter around as long as they did Kennedy.

I'll wait to pass judgment until I see whether Bush apologizes to the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis he killed with his lies.  I never saw Ted film a sketch mocking her death.

Absolutely right. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/28/09 at 8:12 am

For the past 40 years Mary Jo's family has stated, on many occasions, that they never received so much as a visit, phone call, or written letter of apology from Ted.  And if you read any of the transcripts etc, I am certain that you will see that her family was outraged.

Mind you, to their credit, several other members of the Kennedy family sent letters of condolence to the Kopechne family, and the Kopechnes have not been shy in saying how much they appreciated that.  But those do not count as far as Ted goes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/05/19/2009-05-19_kennedy_could_not_find_words_to_confess_kopechne.html

Now Ted DID do his so-called "apology speech", but when you listen to it, it is all self-centered and it talks about how hard things are on HIM.  About whether or not HE should resign.

Now y'all in Massachusetts may have been able to overlook Ted's maritime adventure, but the majority of the American public could not.  After that day in 1969, and its aftermath, there was no way in hades that Ted was going to become President of the United States.  Before that date, it was almost considered a "gimme" that he was going to ultimately become POTUS.

Basically we saw the same principal her that plagues politicians from both sides of the aisle.  It is usually not the "crime" that undos the politician, it is the "coverup".

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/09 at 8:31 am

I just got back from the Kennedy Library.  The thousands of people who showed up were there because Teddy contributed to their lives in a positive way.  Whatever he did in his life that was wrong, he spent his time in congress making it right.

The people who trounce him for 1969 are the same people who forgive, or ignore, or worse thought there wasn't any reason for the need to forgive, Strom the  rapist, hate-filled, racist.  Why is that?  There are many sad, sick, sorry, stories about congressmen, but there is a real need by some to pick out Kennedy for special animosity.  It isn't because of what he did, it was because of his politics, are their need to make his politics personal, something that he was good at not doing.  So I would say that if you are going to turn your moral indignation on him you should be prepared to do the same with those you have decided to back.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/09 at 12:11 pm

I just got back from the Kennedy Library.  The thousands of people who showed up were there because Teddy contributed to their lives in a positive way.  Whatever he did in his life that was wrong, he spent his time in congress making it right.

The people who trounce him for 1969 are the same people who forgive, or ignore, or worse thought there wasn't any reason for the need to forgive, Strom the  rapist, hate-filled, racist.  Why is that?  There are many sad, sick, sorry, stories about congressmen, but there is a real need by some to pick out Kennedy for special animosity.  It isn't because of what he did, it was because of his politics, are their need to make his politics personal, something that he was good at not doing.  So I would say that if you are going to turn your moral indignation on him you should be prepared to do the same with those you have decided to back.

They kept showing the library on the Rachel Maddow Show last night. I kept looking for you because I KNEW you would go. But alas, didn't see you.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/28/09 at 12:46 pm

So you got to see him?  *sigh* I wish I could have. :(

Written By: Frank on 08/28/09 at 12:50 pm

Wish I could have been there too.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/09 at 3:15 pm

They kept showing the library on the Rachel Maddow Show last night. I kept looking for you because I KNEW you would go. But alas, didn't see you.  ;)

Cat

I went early this morning and only had to wait an hour had a very nice time in line.  Every one there was polite and we all had our stories to tell.  Some guy with a news cam asked for my thoughts, but I don't know where he was from.  We passed around the tissues before entering the hall, they had pictures of him and his brothers in the foyer before the room with the coffin, that is where the tears began.  Members of the family were there.  The Kennedy tradition is that a member of the family stays with the body 24/7 until the casket goes in the grave, and that is what they are doing. 

Written By: Frank on 08/29/09 at 12:19 am

I went early this morning and only had to wait an hour had a very nice time in line.  Every one there was polite and we all had our stories to tell.  Some guy with a news cam asked for my thoughts, but I don't know where he was from.  We passed around the tissues before entering the hall, they had pictures of him and his brothers in the foyer before the room with the coffin, that is where the tears began.  Members of the family were there.  The Kennedy tradition is that a member of the family stays with the body 24/7 until the casket goes in the grave, and that is what they are doing. 

It's a sad and beautiful moment that you will never forget. Even as a Non-American ( I am Canadian) I wish I was there with you and the others.
I have been to Arlington before and visited the gravesite of Bobby and JFK back in the late 1970s. I always have felt a connection with the Kennedys as I was born the year JFK was killed, and one of my earliest childhood memories is when Bobby was killed. All 3 brothers had great charisma. Again, wish I was there with all of you.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/09 at 1:31 am

Just wanted to share a pic of happier days.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/kennedyOld1705_468x604.jpg

Thanks Frank!  What a wonderful photo.  It kinda makes me sad to see all the hope in Jack and Bobby's faces to be dashed by assassin's bullets just a few years later. 

Edward Kennedy might have beaten Ronald Reagan in 1980, but it was Chappaquiddick this and Chappaquiddick that until Teddy's name was so besmirched, he had to give up the ghost.

It's been 40 years.  Out of human decencey, pleeeeeze, no more Ballad of Mary Jo Kaopektate!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/09 at 7:28 am

It is a rainy, rainy, day so I will probably be watching the services.  The thing I liked most hearing about was Teddys love of history, and his love of Massachusetts.  I didn't know about that. I love history and I love Massachusetts, with all the faults and foibles it is where I want to be.  The services will be interesting because of where it is an who will be there. The seating arrangements always get me going, too  ;)

Written By: ninny on 08/29/09 at 7:39 am

I wish I was there.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/09 at 7:52 am

After watching the Irish Wake last night it is obvious that Joe Kennedy is now head of the clan, with Caroline as the Queen.  I think that if Joe chooses to run he will make it, and he will be be able to carry on in the Ted Kennedy tradition.  Wouldn't that drive the conservatives out to the sea!  For anyone who didn't watch it, you missed a great show, I laughed my butt off, and believe me there is a lot there to work with!  Then I shed a tear.  It was great, just great!

I wonder what they(the Conservatives) made of Orrin Hatch, he truly loved Kennedy, even though he admits that fought like cats and dogs.  They didn't like it that he just even talked to the man.  What does that say about them.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/29/09 at 11:05 am

This is a great story!

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20090829/OPINION03/908290303/1039/OPINION03

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/29/09 at 4:34 pm

After watching the Irish Wake last night it is obvious that Joe Kennedy is now head of the clan, with Caroline as the Queen.  I think that if Joe chooses to run he will make it, and he will be be able to carry on in the Ted Kennedy tradition.  Wouldn't that drive the conservatives out to the sea!  For anyone who didn't watch it, you missed a great show, I laughed my butt off, and believe me there is a lot there to work with!  Then I shed a tear.  It was great, just great!

I wonder what they(the Conservatives) made of Orrin Hatch, he truly loved Kennedy, even though he admits that fought like cats and dogs.  They didn't like it that he just even talked to the man.  What does that say about them.

I believe there are some Conservative and Moderate Republicans who liked Ted Kennedy (Maybe not 50+%, but in a way liked him of who he was).

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/09 at 4:37 pm

A friend of mine said she saw Palin in the church.  Anyone else catch that?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/29/09 at 6:23 pm

:o  Who had to drag her in???

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/09 at 6:47 pm

:o  Who had to drag her in???

I haven't had confirmation on that.  I'm not sure it is true, I tend to think not. 

Written By: Jessica on 08/29/09 at 6:53 pm

I haven't had confirmation on that.  I'm not sure it is true, I tend to think not. 

I did a Google search.  Didn't see anything about her attending.

Written By: ninny on 08/29/09 at 6:59 pm

I found this list:

Below is a partial guest list of notable people invited to Senator Edward Kennedy's funeral, as provided by Kennedy's office:

Dignitaries

President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama
Honorable Gerry Adams
The Honorable James Blanchard
Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Vice President Al Gore
Vice President Dan Quayle
Martin McGuiness
Honorable Stephen Breyer
Sarah Brown
President George W. Bush
President Jimmy Carter and Rosalyn
President Bill Clinton
Mayor Richard Daley
Hon. Chet Culver
Amb. Michael Collins
Gov. Jon Corzine

Cabinet

Hon. Kathleen Sebelius
Hon. Hilda Solis
Hon. Hillary Rodham Clinton
Cabinet Delegation

Massachusetts

Mayor Tom Menino
Rob Consalvo
Hon. Paul Cellucci
Hon. Bill Bulger
Larry Lucchino
Gov. and Mrs. Michael Dukakis
Yo-Yo Ma
Senate President Therese Murray
Dr. Drew Faust
Gov and Mrs. Deval Patrick

CBSNews.com's complete coverage of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's life and death

Congressional

Sen. and Mrs. John Kerry
Sen. Akaka
Sen. Barrosso
Sen. Maria Cantwell
Honorable Michael Capuano
Sen. Ben Cardin
Hon. William Delahunt
Hon. Rosa DeLauro
Hon. Christopher Dodd
Sen. Byron Dorgan
Rep. Jane Harmon
Sen. Orrin Hatch
Hon. Wyche Fowler
Hon. Barney Frank
Sen. Dan Inouye
Rep. John Tierney
Rep. Niki Tsongas
Sen. Mark Udall
Sen. Tom Udall
Sen. Mark Warner
Rep. Henry Waxman
Sen. Sheldon Whitheouse
Sen. Herb Kohl
Sen. Mary Landrieu
Rep. Jim Langevin
Sen. Pat Leahy
Rep. Barbara Lee
Rep. John Lewis
Rep. Ed Markey
Sen. Mitch McConnell
Hon. Nancy Pelosi
Sen. Arlen Specter
Rep. Richie Neal
Sen. Bill Nelson
Rep. David Obey
Hon. Anna Eshoo
Sen. Jack Reed

Former Members

Sen. John Warner
Sen. John Tunney
Sen. John Culver
Sen. Pete Domenici (wife, Nancy)
Sen. Birch Bayh
Sen. Tom Daschle
Sen. Don Riegle
Sen. Paul Sarbanes

Media

Tom Brokaw
Al Hunt and Judy Woodruff
David Gregory
David McCullough
Maureen Orth and Luke Russert

Entertainers/Athletes

Lauren Bacall
Tony Bennett
Placido Domingo
Jack Nicholson
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Bill Russell

Misc.

Michael Bechloss
Mr. Ken Feinberg
Jesse Jackson, Sr.
Martin Luther King, III
Mrs. Claiborne Pell
Ted Sorenson
John Sweeney, President AFL-CIO

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/09 at 5:30 am

Thanks.  I think the story we all would like to hear, but probably won't, is the ones Jack Nicholson could tell  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...