» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: George H.W. Bush's presidential term(January 1989-January 1993.)

Written By: tv on 08/30/09 at 12:25 pm

You know I noticed talk about Reagan, Clinton, and Bush(W.) respective presidential terms but what do you guys think about George H.W. Bush's single term in the oval office. Do you guys think he was a great, good or average president or you just didn;t like him?

Subject: Re: George H.W. Bush's presidential term(January 1989-January 1993.)

Written By: Macphisto on 08/30/09 at 2:47 pm

He was ok.  He was less corporatist than Reagan, but not as progressive as Clinton.

Granted, Clinton had a corporatist side as well.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/09 at 3:36 pm

Gulf War, Panama deception, beginning of NAFTA,  the only real good thing I can see is the Americans With Disabilities Act, and he has Ted Kennedy to thank for that.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/30/09 at 4:39 pm

Just like his son...meh.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/30/09 at 4:56 pm

Meet the old boss, same as the older boss.

Written By: nally on 08/30/09 at 8:43 pm

Didn't really like him during his term as President, but now when I look back on his presidency I think he was more likable than his son. (That's just my personal opinion.) I do remember the Gulf War in the early 1990's and how he handled the situation; I was following the news regularly at the time. I also have fond memories of my life during those years.

the only real good thing I can see is the Americans With Disabilities Act, and he has Ted Kennedy to thank for that.

Yeah, that was one good thing that came from his years in office.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/09 at 12:29 am

Just like his son...meh.

Would be if Dubya didn't steal a second term.  Dubya effed it up so bad that now Jeb doesn't have a chance in hell!

I remember trying to get a f*ckin' job in Boston in 1990 in the first Reganomics hangover, and having to look at that constipated old WASP's face on the front page every morning.  Really started to grate on my nerves!
>:(

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/09 at 4:16 am

Would be if Dubya didn't steal a second term.  Dubya effed it up so bad that now Jeb doesn't have a chance in hell!

Never underestimate the the chicanery of the bush machine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/09 at 7:04 pm

Never underestimate the the chicanery of the bush machine.

Uh-oh....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/09 at 9:45 pm

You know I noticed talk about Reagan, Clinton, and Bush(W.) respective presidential terms but what do you guys think about George H.W. Bush's single term in the oval office. Do you guys think he was a great, good or average president or you just didn;t like him?

He was a Good Enough President.

Case in point?  Unlike his son, Bush the First won his war against Saddam.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/09 at 6:50 am

Like his son he sent American troops into a war for questionable reasons.

Written By: philbo on 09/02/09 at 7:12 am

One word...

Broccoli

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/09 at 12:18 pm

One word...

Broccoli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO57XRDDodk

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/02/09 at 1:32 pm

One word...

Broccoli

Hee hee...I remember that.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/09 at 2:30 pm

Here's another thing that was memorable of Bush I's term...puking on the Japanese Prime Minister.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/09 at 3:34 pm

Here's another thing that was memorable of Bush I's term...puking on the Japanese Prime Minister.

;D  Yeah, that was a good one.  They said he had the flu, but the truth came out, he was hungover

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/09 at 8:01 pm

And was a gentleman enough to leave him in charge.  When you've got your opponent pinned to the mat, that's when you call it a match!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/09 at 11:02 pm

And was a gentleman enough to leave him in charge.  When you've got your opponent pinned to the mat, that's when you call it a match!

Hey, those were the rules.

The UN authorized military force to remove Saddam from Kuwait. 

Saddam's army left Kuwait.  Objective achieved, fight over, walk away.  (Again, unlike his son.  We could have pulled the statue down, said "Good luck!" and let the country tear itself in civil war, and then cut a deal with whoever won, saving a trillion dollars in the process.  Shoot, that was probably the plan.)

Gimme a time machine and I'll pound the table for letting Schwartzkopf finish the job, but I'll also be bringing back some charts of AOL, Netscape, Bre-X (yeah, the Canadian gold mine scam), and Apple.  I'll make enough money offa one of those four that I won't care how the new timeline unfolds.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/09 at 12:55 am

Hey, those were the rules.

The UN authorized military force to remove Saddam from Kuwait. 

Saddam's army left Kuwait.  Objective achieved, fight over, walk away.  (Again, unlike his son.  We could have pulled the statue down, said "Good luck!" and let the country tear itself in civil war, and then cut a deal with whoever won, saving a trillion dollars in the process.  Shoot, that was probably the plan.)

Gimme a time machine and I'll pound the table for letting Schwartzkopf finish the job, but I'll also be bringing back some charts of AOL, Netscape, Bre-X (yeah, the Canadian gold mine scam), and Apple.  I'll make enough money offa one of those four that I won't care how the new timeline unfolds.

That's what I said, old boy, those were the rules.  So we find the army marching to Baghdad after Saddam had fled, and it was time to say, hey enough, there, be a sport!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/07/09 at 1:06 am

That's what I said, old boy, those were the rules.  So we find the army marching to Baghdad after Saddam had fled, and it was time to say, hey enough, there, be a sport!

He might not have liked the rules - and since he was the head of the CIA, I'd wager he didn't - but say what you will about Dubya I, he played by 'em.  And when he didn't, he was professional enough to cover it up or at least have plausible deniability.  Unlike his idiot son, who blew it on both of those counts, sometimes simultaneously.

Goes back to my original claim:  not a particularly good President, but he was a good enough President.

Check for new replies or respond here...