» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A real life Bonfire of The Vanities

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/09 at 5:16 pm

Yesterday, Michael Bryant, a high-profile attorney general for Ontario, who had championed severe and controversial traffic safety laws. was charged with dangerous driving causing death in an unusually violent episode of road rage involving a bicyclist.

The arrest of Mr. Bryant stemmed from a collision between a bicycle and an automobile in Toronto's most prestigious shopping district late Monday evening. The episode started off as minor but swiftly escalated, leading to the death of Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, who was identified as a bicycle courier.

You maybe asking, what does this have to do with the novel, or for that matter, the movie?

Well, in both, the plot was about a multimillionaire, New York City bond trader, who gets into a car accident,  ands end hitting a person, with his car.

More about the book, and incident....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/world/americas/02toronto.html?_r=3&ref=world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonfire_of_the_Vanities

Subject: Re: A real life Bonfire of The Vanities

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/09 at 5:17 pm

I'm willing to bet, that Bryant will go off, scott free...

::)  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/09 at 6:37 pm

I'm willing to bet, that Bryant will go off, scott free...

::)  >:(

Oh probably.  A guy like him would no doubt have the best lawyers. 
If justice has common sense (yeah right, eh?) then he should get what he deserves.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/09 at 7:37 pm

Was she hot?

???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/09 at 7:43 pm

Oh probably.  A guy like him would no doubt have the best lawyers. 
If justice has common sense (yeah right, eh?) then he should get what he deserves.

But unfortunatly, justice is blind.

>:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/09 at 7:54 pm

But unfortunatly, justice is blind.

>:(

I dunno about Canada, and I hate to be crude about it, but if she was a hottie, in the U.S., he's be a dead man.  Some bowser on the hand, meh, slap on the wrist. 

::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/02/09 at 10:35 pm

having read Bonfire and read the stories around this latest incident, I don't think there's much of a comparison.  In the book, the rich character is a chicken sheesh afraid of getting car jacked by two teenagers.  In the real-life incident, it's a jerk who is pissed off at a single cyclist who drives through a construction site with him holding onto his car.

I'm sure his lawyer will find some technicality to get him sprung, but I doubt a jury will see the evidence and be very sympathetic.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/09 at 10:50 pm

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00675/cyclist-crash_675860n.jpg

Meh.  But any excuse to post that picture (which had nothing to do with the incident in question) is a good one.

On the high road, I'm on a literary kick tonight, so I'll rock out with F. Scott out.

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy -- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made"
  - F. Scott Fitzgerald, covering it in The Great Gatsby, some 62 years ahead of Wolfe.

Check for new replies or respond here...