» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Joe Kennedy to Not Run for Teddy's Senate Seat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/09 at 7:08 am

Joe Kennedy announced that he will not be running for Teddy's seat, instead proferring his cushy gig at "Citizens Energy".

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/6607557.html

My guess is he knew that he would face withering criticism for his association with Hugo Chavez, as well as pulling down a $500,000+ salary for running this "nonprofit" institution.

It is amazing that regs allow somebody running a "nonprofit" to pull down that kind of bucks.  Just think how many more people could get free home heating oil if he only made, say $100k.

Subject: Re: Joe Kennedy to Not Run for Teddy's Senate Seat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/08/09 at 9:20 am

Joe Kennedy announced that he will not be running for Teddy's seat, instead proferring his cushy gig at "Citizens Energy".

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/6607557.html

No.  He has been asked more than a few times over the years to run for office here in Massachusetts, any office anytime would have been his. He would have won, Chavez or not.  Most of us are well aware of the fact that any  sanctions against Chavez had more to do with bush daddy being a lobbyist for the Carlyle Group than anything else.

Now we are left with a wide open field.  The Republicans are putting up a lame effort, and that is part of their problem.  One of the reasons that Massachusetts is so Democratic is that the Republicans everything they do is less than half-hearted, and they complain that it is because Massachusetts is too Democrat to win.  Even when we continued to send Republicans to the Governors seat.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/09 at 10:09 am

No.  He has been asked more than a few times over the years to run for office here in Massachusetts, any office anytime would have been his. He would have won, Chavez or not.  Most of us are well aware of the fact that any  sanctions against Chavez had more to do with bush daddy being a lobbyist for the Carlyle Group than anything else.

Now we are left with a wide open field.  The Republicans are putting up a lame effort, and that is part of their problem.  One of the reasons that Massachusetts is so Democratic is that the Republicans everything they do is less than half-hearted, and they complain that it is because Massachusetts is too Democrat to win.  Even when we continued to send Republicans to the Governors seat.

True, the voters of Massachusetts would elect a steaming turd if it had the Kennedy name on it.  Even though this guy (who is very wealthy by virtue of the Kennedy Family Trust) sucks $500k+ per year from his "nonprofit organization".

But watch Obama's actions regarding Chavez and Columbia.  I suspect you will see little difference from the Bush approach.

One thing I'll give ol' Joe... he supported a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the US Constitution which shoulda been done long ago.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/09 at 3:58 pm

True, the voters of Massachusetts would elect a steaming turd if it had the Kennedy name on it.  Even though this guy (who is very wealthy by virtue of the Kennedy Family Trust) sucks $500k+ per year from his "nonprofit organization".

repeat yourself much?

It's not hard to find non-profit leaders that get CEO sized salaries.  Almost impossible to find a large one that doesn't.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/09 at 4:32 pm

repeat yourself much?

You know the old adage... "If you want them to remember it you have to tell them three times"  ;D

It's not hard to find non-profit leaders that get CEO sized salaries.  Almost impossible to find a large one that doesn't.

Oh I know that, but it does not make it right either.  Separate from Hugo Chavez, I would imagine that there are all sorts of smaller contributors who would think twice at contributing when the top dog, who is already a multimillionaire, is sucking down a salary like that.

Which is why I direct my charitible contributions directly to those in need, so that "nonprofit managers" cannot take their sizeable cut.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/08/09 at 5:30 pm

True, the voters of Massachusetts would elect a steaming turd if it had the Kennedy name on it. 

Why is it that the voters of Massachusetts are villified for voting for Kennedy, who worked for the rights of all people, and helped all people in the area of education, jobs, and healthcare, but the voters of North Carolina are not subject to the same bile when it comes to the memory of Jesse Helms, (and others of his ilk) for whom the politics of division and hate, yes hate, kept him in his position?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/09 at 7:42 am

Why is it that the voters of Massachusetts are villified for voting for Kennedy, who worked for the rights of all people, and helped all people in the area of education, jobs, and healthcare, but the voters of North Carolina are not subject to the same bile when it comes to the memory of Jesse Helms, (and others of his ilk) for whom the politics of division and hate, yes hate, kept him in his position?

Well in the case of Helms, one might theorize that for whatever reason, the people of NC support THE MAN.  One person.  Kinda like Senator Byrd in WV or that dude from Alaska whose name escapes me at the moment.

However in Massachusetts, the voters take a more cynical approach and support simply a family NAME, you know, "Camelot" and all that jive.

I guess an analogy would be that in Pittsburgh, if the Rooney family started to get into politics, lots of people would vote for the Rooney name because of all those Super Bowl rings.  (Note that one of the Rooneys is now Ambassador to ireland, but I imagine that is all their politcal dynasty is gonna see!)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/09/09 at 8:08 am

Well in the case of Helms, one might theorize that for whatever reason, the people of NC support THE MAN.  One person.  Kinda like Senator Byrd in WV or that dude from Alaska whose name escapes me at the moment.

However in Massachusetts, the voters take a more cynical approach and support simply a family NAME, you know, "Camelot" and all that jive.

I guess an analogy would be that in Pittsburgh, if the Rooney family started to get into politics, lots of people would vote for the Rooney name because of all those Super Bowl rings.  (Note that one of the Rooneys is now Ambassador to ireland, but I imagine that is all their politcal dynasty is gonna see!)

Sure, but enough to reach a majority?  I don't think the support for the Kennedy "brand" is nearly as strong in Mass. as everyone outside of Mass. thinks.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/09 at 9:34 am

Well in the case of Helms, one might theorize that for whatever reason, the people of NC support THE MAN.  One person.  Kinda like Senator Byrd in WV or that dude from Alaska whose name escapes me at the moment.

I guess an analogy would be that in Pittsburgh, if the Rooney family started to get into politics, lots of people would vote for the Rooney name because of all those Super Bowl rings.  (Note that one of the Rooneys is now Ambassador to ireland, but I imagine that is all their politcal dynasty is gonna see!)

Look at what kind of a "man" Helms was, and the kind of a man Kennedy was.  The name Kennedy got him in the door, but his representation kept him there. Are you suggesting we should not have voted for Ted because his name was Kennedy? Helms was a racist, and divisive, in 30 years the people of NC couldn't have come up with a better example of conservatism?  We could not have come up with a better example of liberalism, that is for sure.

When a caller to CNN's Larry King Live show praised guest Jesse Helms for "everything you've done to help keep down the *******," Helms' response was to salute the camera and say, "Well, thank you." (Wilmington Star-News, 9/16/95)

Surely, we can learn, at least, to look at those around us as fellow men. And surely we can begin to work a little harder to bind up the wounds among us and to become in our own hearts brothers and countrymen once again. (Ted Kennedys Eulogy to his brother Bobby)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/09 at 9:00 pm

I'm afraid your answer is contained within your question....

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/13/09 at 8:16 pm

Speaking as a North Carolinian, I have to honestly say the reason is because NC has a lot of stupid people.  I encounter plenty of idiots on a daily basis, and while the idiot ratio among humanity is probably somewhat the same no matter where you go, we do seem to lean on the upper side of it.

Granted, we're not as bad as we used to be in terms of all-out ignorance.  Although...  we are getting worse when it comes to crime.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/14/09 at 9:10 am

Speaking as a North Carolinian, I have to honestly say the reason is because NC has a lot of stupid people.  I encounter plenty of idiots on a daily basis, and while the idiot ratio among humanity is probably somewhat the same no matter where you go, we do seem to lean on the upper side of it.

Granted, we're not as bad as we used to be in terms of all-out ignorance.  Although...  we are getting worse when it comes to crime.

I meant to say South Carolina, but if the Carolina fits...... ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/09 at 12:08 am

JOey Kennedy is a good man, and he dserves a few generations in the Massasssatwosheeshs congreeessssss, pllus he makes his own gravy, and he'll give a poor slob like me free oil over the winter.

We love YA Joe!

Joey '12!~

:P

Written By: Macphisto on 09/16/09 at 1:52 am

I meant to say South Carolina, but if the Carolina fits...... ;)

Strom Thurmond is about on equal terms with Jesse.

Although South Carolina makes North Carolina look like Massachusetts.

Check for new replies or respond here...