» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: President's speech to Congress interrupted by Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/09/09 at 8:37 pm

8 years of Bush, and I can't recall a single Senator or Representative yelling out during an address .

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0909/The_guy_who_yelled_You_lie.html

That's disrespectful of the office of the president and should see a formal reprimand

Subject: Re: President's speech to Congress interrupted by Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/09/09 at 8:39 pm

No doubt.  I don't care if you agree or not, that is just plain rude and disrespectful.

Subject: Re: President's speech to Congress interrupted by Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/09 at 9:01 pm

8 years of Bush, and I can't recall a single Senator or Representative yelling out during an address .

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0909/The_guy_who_yelled_You_lie.html

That's disrespectful of the office of the president and should see a formal reprimand

Yeah that certainly was uncalled for and I would imagine it is a violation of some sort of "rules of decorum" for a congressional assembly.

Although I guess... if standing O's are part and parcel of such speeches, then maybe catcalls should be part too.  Nevertheless was not a classy move by the catcaller, fo sho.

Written By: Jessica on 09/09/09 at 9:10 pm

They said his site was crashing from everyone going there to bitch him out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/09/09 at 9:14 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhh, Joey! You got some excplainimg to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Joe Wilson just put the douche in douchbag.

>:(

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/09 at 9:25 pm

Yeah that certainly was uncalled for and I would imagine it is a violation of some sort of "rules of decorum" for a congressional assembly.

Although I guess... if standing O's are part and parcel of such speeches, then maybe catcalls should be part too.  Nevertheless was not a classy move by the catcaller, fo sho.

I was wondering who the co******er was.  Figures he is from South Carolina, Between Preston Brooks, Strom, Sanford and him, they disgrace the whole notion of "Southern Gentleman".  I am waiting for the response of the senior members of the party.  Will they have him issue a PUBLIC apology in the spirit of partisanship, even if it is just for show?

It is one thing to boo or catcall, I am all for it and think there isn't enough of it. It is another thing to call anyone a liar because that is what you have left in a disagreement, let alone the President during an address to congress. 

Written By: Macphisto on 09/09/09 at 10:11 pm

If nothing else, he's doing a great job of making his side of the healthcare debate look fanatical.

Written By: Tia on 09/10/09 at 9:03 am

that made me sick. i wanted obama to say something back, or at least pause for a LONG time and stare at the guy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/10/09 at 9:23 am

There are rules of conduct for the U.S. Congress apparently teabaggers think they're exempt from it.  Yeah, I bitch him out for being a twit too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/09 at 11:37 am

that made me sick. i wanted obama to say something back, or at least pause for a LONG time and stare at the guy.

Actually I woulda given O'bama props if he had said something like "Ladies and gentlemen, that was Joe Wilson" or something like that, right in the middle of the speech.  But I wonder if he knew exactly WHO made the outburst at that time? ???

Wilson was being a maroon... 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/09 at 11:39 am

I am curious as to what the fallout is going to be.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 09/10/09 at 11:45 am

Actually I woulda given O'bama props if he had said something like "Ladies and gentlemen, that was Joe Wilson" or something like that, right in the middle of the speech.  But I wonder if he knew exactly WHO made the outburst at that time? ???

Wilson was being a maroon... 

I think Obama was just intent on getting his speech out.  He did sort of give the stink eye in Wilson's general direction though. ;D

I am curious as to what the fallout is going to be.

Cat

Quite a bit, I think.  People are ripping him up all over the place.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/10/09 at 1:20 pm

Figures he is from South Carolina, Between Preston Brooks.....

Charles Sumner did say some pretty harsh things about Andrew Butler; mocking on the Senate floor Butler's way of talking and physical problems, both of which were impaired by a stroke.  Brooks was Butler's nephew.  In that time period, Sumner was lucky he didn't get shot.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/09 at 5:37 pm

Charles Sumner did say some pretty harsh things about Andrew Butler; mocking on the Senate floor Butler's way of talking and physical problems, both of which were impaired by a stroke.  Brooks was Butler's nephew.  In that time period, Sumner was lucky he didn't get shot.

Still doesn't make it right.

Where have you been?  Jeez Louise,  I kinda missed you.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/09 at 5:41 pm

Apparently lobbyists aren't the only ones getting spanked these days.  Joe should change his name to Ben Dover

Democrat Robert Miller, a retired Marine and Iraq veteran who is challenging Wilson in next year’s election, had just $48,974 in campaign funds as of June 30, according to CQ MoneyLine. Since Wilson’s comment, Miller has banked over $400,000 in new donations from more than 11,000 individual contributions

www.blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/09/rep-joe-wilsons-opponent-gets-a-boost.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/09 at 7:52 pm

Our representative from the Jerry Springer Show!  The GOP has gone so far off the deep end, the only way Obama could have responded in a way they'd understand is if he'd said, "Shut TF up or I'mo come down there and beat your azz!"

:P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/11/09 at 4:47 am

Democrat Robert Miller, a retired Marine and Iraq veteran who is challenging Wilson in next year’s election, had just $48,974 in campaign funds as of June 30, according to CQ MoneyLine. Since Wilson’s comment, Miller has banked over $400,000 in new donations from more than 11,000 individual contributions

That is a good waste of leftist money in my book.

Miller ran and lost to Wilson in 2008 by double-digits in what was a huge democratic up-year.  What makes anyone think that he is going to win in 2010, what will likely be a democrat down-year?

Also Miller, according to his last FEC filing, has $440,000 worth of campaign debt still from his failed 2008 run.  So all this money is basically just getting him out of the red.

Wilson, on the other hand, has no debt and last I heard around noon yesterday was over $120,000 raised since his comment to Obama.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/09 at 7:17 am

That is a good waste of leftist money in my book.

Miller ran and lost to Wilson in 2008 by double-digits in what was a huge democratic up-year.  What makes anyone think that he is going to win in 2010, what will likely be a democrat down-year?

Also Miller, according to his last FEC filing, has $440,000 worth of campaign debt still from his failed 2008 run.  So all this money is basically just getting him out of the red.

Wilson, on the other hand, has no debt and last I heard around noon yesterday was over $120,000 raised since his comment to Obama.

Not to mention that Wilson's constituents are the type of people who would think nothing of hooting and hollering at someone.  They've already done some quick polling, and they all agree that it "Had to be done".

Of course last time around, Miller didn't raise much money, and I doubt the Dems helped him out much either.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/11/09 at 8:01 am

Of course last time around, Miller didn't raise much money, and I doubt the Dems helped him out much either.

In 2008 Miller spent $609,365 on his run, and raised $614,487.

That is really good for what was considered a safe republican seat.  It, and the high black turnout because of Obama's candidacy, is probably why Wilson won by only ten percentage points (55-45).  Wilson always won with over 60% of the vote before.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/09 at 12:32 pm

Hmmm, alzheimers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4228927.stm
http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=434451

Hmmm, Mr Pot, what colour is Mr. Kettle?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/09 at 12:55 pm

Hmmm, alzheimers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4228927.stm
http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=434451

Hmmm, Mr Pot, what colour is Mr. Kettle?

There's a big difference between a single individual yelling out during a quiet part of a speech and general reaction during the applause gaps.  Sorry you think it's the same thing.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/09 at 1:04 pm

There is a big difference between booing and hissing, I am all for it, but calling him a liar, beyond the pale.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/09 at 1:06 pm

There is a big difference between booing and hissing, I am all for it, but calling him a liar, beyond the pale.

The Brits hoot and holler all the time during a PM speech, but even there calling someone a liar is considered a big offense.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/09 at 1:42 pm

There's a big difference between a single individual yelling out during a quiet part of a speech and general reaction during the applause gaps.  Sorry you think it's the same thing.

My opinion there is little distinction.  Boorish behavior is boorish behavior.  Wilson just stood out a little more as a butthead than the crowd of booers/hissers did on prior occasions.

But then in *my* world there would not be all the self-congratulatory standing ovations at these speeches either, save for the initial Inauguration or the final Farewell of a standing President.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/09 at 3:52 pm

But then in *my* world there would not be all the self-congratulatory standing ovations at these speeches either, save for the initial Inauguration or the final Farewell of a standing President.

Those are always so annoying

Written By: philbo on 09/11/09 at 6:15 pm

The Brits hoot and holler all the time during a PM speech, but even there calling someone a liar is considered a big offense.

Parliamentary language is a marvellous thing: there are lots of things you're not allowed to say about your political opponents, and yes: calling another MP a liar in the house might even get you suspended (unless suitably grovelling apology is made - to the Speaker & the House, mind, not to the person insulted).

The flip-side to this is that MPs & Lords have immunity from prosecution for anything said in Parliament: if spoken in the Commons or the Lords, a statement cannot be slanderous (well, it can, but the target isn't allowed to prosecute).

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/09 at 6:51 pm

My opinion there is little distinction.  Boorish behavior is boorish behavior.  Wilson just stood out a little more as a butthead than the crowd of booers/hissers did on prior occasions.

And that I totally agree with.  I do not agree with what Representative Williams did, I think it was childish.  But just as childish as people booing durring a Presidential speech.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/09 at 8:04 pm

And that I totally agree with.  I do not agree with what Representative Williams did, I think it was childish.  But just as childish as people booing durring a Presidential speech.

So you agree that the Republicans who booed during the clapping off that speech were childish then?  It's not as loud as it was during the Bush speech you linked to, but they still did it in the applause break before Williams made his outburst.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/09 at 8:14 pm

The mention of "illegal immigrants" sets these azzholes off.  Wilson was trying to stir the hornets' nest of racism. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/09 at 9:14 pm

The flip-side to this is that MPs & Lords have immunity from prosecution for anything said in Parliament: if spoken in the Commons or the Lords, a statement cannot be slanderous (well, it can, but the target isn't allowed to prosecute).

That is also true on the floors of congress, anything goes.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/09 at 9:15 pm

The mention of "illegal immigrants" sets these azzholes off.  Wilson was trying to stir the hornets' nest of racism. 

South Carolina.... it's what they do.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/11/09 at 9:49 pm

Parliamentary language is a marvellous thing: there are lots of things you're not allowed to say about your political opponents, and yes: calling another MP a liar in the house might even get you suspended (unless suitably grovelling apology is made - to the Speaker & the House, mind, not to the person insulted).

Point of order!  It's proper form to address the chair, or the Speaker, or whomever's officially in charge of the proceedings.  One never addresses another member directly.

"The Member from Philbo neglected to mention the best part about parliamentary language: it's fun.  I mean, I wouldn't accuse the Honorable Member of underrepresenting how much fun it could be, I merely suggest to the Chair that he's probably been a Member of this House so long that he's lost his appreciation for how much fun Parliamentary procedure is, while most of the fine citizens in Philbotown have grown up not knowing how much fun it could be."

Much more fun than saying "Dude, you're lying about how much you enjoy this job, you're so old that you're senile, and your constituents are so cluless they don't care either way."

The Brits had Parliamentary procedure nailed.  Imagine if, for one hour every day, every member of the House and Senate had to think on his feet as if he was giving Congressional testimony... and imagine further if, every day, any Representative or Senator from the opposing party could ask him anything.  C-SPAN ratings might not go through the roof, but it'd sure as hell be more interesting than the Kabuki theater that currently passes for political debate in the States.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/anonymoususer120/roflbot-Tmuu.jpg

Instead, we have to settle for that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/09 at 5:55 pm

So you agree that the Republicans who booed during the clapping off that speech were childish then?  It's not as loud as it was during the Bush speech you linked to, but they still did it in the applause break before Williams made his outburst.

Um...is that a new member of Congress?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/anonymoususer120/roflbot-Tmuu.jpg

Karma for making me laugh with that one.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 09/13/09 at 8:11 pm

Not IMHO.  I think either action is rude no matter who is in power.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/09 at 8:03 pm

Joe Wilson Voted To Provide Taxpayer Money For Illegal Immigrants' Healthcare

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/11/joe-wilson-voted-to-provi_n_284034.html

guess it takes one to know one Joe

Check for new replies or respond here...