» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Limbaugh: We need segregated buses

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/17/09 at 12:07 pm

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/09/17/limbaugh-we-need-segregated-buses/

now that would be progress wouldn't it... I hope he remembers to segregate the drinking fountains too....

Honestly... this guy is like a troll with his own radio program.  I was going to pass on posting it, because the more you look at these guys, the less you can believe them.

Subject: Re: Limbaugh: We need segregated buses

Written By: danootaandme on 09/17/09 at 4:35 pm

No surprise there.  The dialogue is ugly and getting uglier.  Notice he injects Obama into this, as if the reason this happened is because Obama is President.  The more people say it isn't about racism, the more I fear for Obamas' life.

The best part is the fight wasn't a racist fight, there seems to be other reasons(since when do high school boys need rational reasons), but Limbaugh decided to just ignore that.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/17/09 at 7:36 pm

Oh brother, haven't we learned from the past?!

What about the ones who are half-and-half? The Hispanics? The Asians? The Natives?

Is Rush Limbaugh on drugs or something?

Written By: Macphisto on 09/17/09 at 8:03 pm

I guess he had to top the stupidity of Carter's comment.

And we all know Rush is the king of that.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/17/09 at 8:33 pm

Obama has made some people who were dormant racist active again.  Memberships to white supremacy groups are up.  Glenn Beck and Limbaugh are constantly throwing kindling in to fuel it.  How many hate crimes have we had this year.  It's gone up way up.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 9:16 am

He must be high or something.

Just when I thought, that he couldn't get lower.

>:(

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/18/09 at 11:07 am

I guess he had to top the stupidity of Carter's comment.

And we all know Rush is the king of that.

Seems to me that he made Carter's point.  If that wasn't about race, what in hell was it about?

Written By: statsqueen on 09/18/09 at 11:24 am

I don't know what to say other than "Wow.  Really??"  :o

I'm still trying to get my head around that not only does he think/believe it, but he actually said it out loud.....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 2:11 pm

I don't know what to say other than "Wow.  Really??"  :o

I'm still trying to get my head around that not only does he think/believe it, but he actually said it out loud.....

He has said alot of really stupid thngs in the past....

"He discusses his service in Iraq, the wounds he suffered there, and he says to me in this ad, 'Until you have the guts to call me a 'phony soldier' to my face, stop telling lies about my service.' You know, this is such a blatant use of a valiant combat veteran, lying to him about what I said, then strapping those lies to his belt, sending him out via the media in a TV ad to walk into as many people as he can walk into." --denouncing an ad by VoteVets.org featuring Iraq war veteran Brian McGough by likening him to a suicide bomber

"This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation...I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of the need to blow some steam off?" --on the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal

"Too many whites are getting away with drug use...Too many whites are getting away with drug sales...The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river, too." --in 1995

"I am addicted to prescription pain medication." --in 2003

and his most stupidest comment ever......

"There are more acres of forestland in America today than when Columbus discovered the continent in 1492."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/09 at 2:17 pm

He has said alot of really stupid thngs in the past....

"He discusses his service in Iraq, the wounds he suffered there, and he says to me in this ad, 'Until you have the guts to call me a 'phony soldier' to my face, stop telling lies about my service.' You know, this is such a blatant use of a valiant combat veteran, lying to him about what I said, then strapping those lies to his belt, sending him out via the media in a TV ad to walk into as many people as he can walk into." --denouncing an ad by VoteVets.org featuring Iraq war veteran Brian McGough by likening him to a suicide bomber

"This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation...I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of the need to blow some steam off?" --on the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal

"Too many whites are getting away with drug use...Too many whites are getting away with drug sales...The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river, too." --in 1995

"I am addicted to prescription pain medication." --in 2003

and his most stupidest comment ever......

"There are more acres of forestland in America today than when Columbus discovered the continent in 1492."

And you have to wonder WHY there are still so many people who listen to this asshole!

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 2:23 pm

And you have to wonder WHY there are still so many people who listen to this asshole!

Cat

I know!  People everywhere, stop listening to this ***clown! 

It's not Obama who is bringing down America, it's idiots like Rush Limbaugh, who are bringing down America!

>:(

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/18/09 at 2:58 pm

Let's just say...if the Ku Klux Klan get back in the spotlight...I'm going to run and hide.

I had a pastor who saw some Klansmen and his wife was nervous since she was Puerto Rican (I'd be scared too, because they're what I call 'American Nazis').

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 3:10 pm

Let's just say...if the Ku Klux Klan get back in the spotlight...I'm going to run and hide.

I had a pastor who saw some Klansmen and his wife was nervous since she was Puerto Rican (I'd be scared too, because they're what I call 'American Nazis').

I am worried that they will get back in the spotlight too, the KKK have have probally been waiting for a moment like this, for quite awhile.

And that scares me.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/18/09 at 11:08 pm

Seems to me that he made Carter's point.  If that wasn't about race, what in hell was it about?

I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that Wilson is a racist.  Rush Limbaugh is probably a racist though.

So again, Carter's comment was baseless, and Rush decided to up the ante of stupidity by injecting his own racism into an unrelated issue.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/19/09 at 10:53 am

Wilson, it has been reported, belongs to an organization that glorifies the Confederacy, and he supported the flying of the Stars & Bars over the statheouse.  You may make excuses for that on "historical" grounds, but most people see that as a racist symbol used to intimidate black people.  And to admit that Rush is a racist is to admit that some of the opposition to Obama is based on race.  Note I said "some", not all.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/19/09 at 1:22 pm

Wilson, it has been reported, belongs to an organization that glorifies the Confederacy, and he supported the flying of the Stars & Bars over the statheouse.  You may make excuses for that on "historical" grounds, but most people see that as a racist symbol used to intimidate black people.  And to admit that Rush is a racist is to admit that some of the opposition to Obama is based on race.  Note I said "some", not all.

First of all, I didn't know that.  All I knew about Wilson was that he was a Representative of South Carolina that had contradicted his claims of voting to support funding illegals by supporting the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003.

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/1219-Joe-Wilson-Voted-to-Provide-Taxpayer-Money-for-Illegal-Immigrants-Healthcare

So, I knew that Wilson was a hypocrite, but I didn't know about his ties to a Confederate group.  Now that I've glanced at his wiki page, it also turns out that he apparently had an interesting take on Strom Thurmond's daughter.

"In 2003, Essie Mae Washington-Williams revealed that she was the daughter of Wilson's former employer, the late Senator Strom Thurmond, and Thurmond's black maid. Wilson was among those who publicly doubted her assertion that Thurmond had a child out of wedlock. Wilson said even if her story was true, she should not have revealed it because 'it's a smear' on Thurmond's image and was a way to 'diminish' Thurmond's legacy. After Thurmond's family acknowledged the truth of Washington-Williams' revelation, Wilson apologized but said that he still thought that she should not have revealed that Thurmond was her father."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Wilson_(U.S._politician)

To me, this says more about his alleged racism than his membership to a Confederate group.  I don't think you can really assume he's racist for having pride in his heritage, but he definitely has some racist undertones concerning Strom Thurmond's daughter.

At this point, maybe Carter should bring up this particular incident as evidence for his assumption about Wilson.  It would definitely strengthen his argument and make it look less like he's pulling the race card.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/20/09 at 11:12 am

Granted.  I agree

Written By: danootaandme on 09/20/09 at 11:37 am

Wilson, it has been reported, belongs to an organization that glorifies the Confederacy, and he supported the flying of the Stars & Bars over the statheouse. 

Sons of Confederate Veterans.  Having been "into" the Civil War I know about this group.  The paint themselves as history and heritage, but when they think that no one is watching they a just down right racist.  They are the ones putting out the story that thousands of blacks fought for the cause of the Confederacy, but they can't find more than 3 or 4 black ancestors who qualify to join their organization. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/20/09 at 12:01 pm

Sons of Confederate Veterans.  Having been "into" the Civil War I know about this group.  The paint themselves as history and heritage, but when they think that no one is watching they a just down right racist.   They are the ones putting out the story that thousands of blacks fought for the cause of the Confederacy, but they can't find more than 3 or 4 black ancestors who qualify to join their organization. 

The wannabe proper Southern gentlemen that refuse to acknowledge the fact that they are outdated, racist, sexist and stuffy.  Yep, I've heard of them.  There were no colored unites in the Confederacy.  If they did fight it was a form of indentured servitude to replace a family member of the plantation owner.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/09 at 1:18 pm

Sons of Confederate Veterans.  Having been "into" the Civil War I know about this group.  The paint themselves as history and heritage, but when they think that no one is watching they a just down right racist.   They are the ones putting out the story that thousands of blacks fought for the cause of the Confederacy, but they can't find more than 3 or 4 black ancestors who qualify to join their organization.  

"Nearly 40% of the Confederacy's population were unfree ... the work required to sustain the same society during war naturally fell disproportionately on black shoulders as well. By drawing so many white men into the army, indeed, the war multiplied the importance of the black work force." Even Georgia's Governor Joseph E. Brown noted that "the country and the army are mainly dependent upon slave labor for support." Slave labor was used in a wide variety of support roles, from infrastructure and mining, to teamster and medical roles such as hospital attendants and nurses.

The idea of arming slaves for use as soldiers was speculated on from the onset of the war, but not seriously considered by Davis or others in his administration. Though an acrimonious and controversial debate was raised by a letter from Patrick Cleburne urging the Confederacy to raise black soldiers by offering emancipation, it wouldn't be until Robert E. Lee wrote the Confederate Congress urging them that the idea would take serious traction. On March 13, 1865, the Confederate Congress passed General Order 14, and President Davis signed the order into law. The order was issued March 23, but only a few African American companies were raised. Two companies were armed and drilled in the streets of Richmond, Virginia, shortly before the besieged southern capital fell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_Army

There were black soldiers...  just not very many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_African_Americans_in_the_U.S._Civil_War#Confederate_States_Army

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/20/09 at 1:27 pm

"Nearly 40% of the Confederacy's population were unfree ... the work required to sustain the same society during war naturally fell disproportionately on black shoulders as well. By drawing so many white men into the army, indeed, the war multiplied the importance of the black work force." Even Georgia's Governor Joseph E. Brown noted that "the country and the army are mainly dependent upon slave labor for support." Slave labor was used in a wide variety of support roles, from infrastructure and mining, to teamster and medical roles such as hospital attendants and nurses.

The idea of arming slaves for use as soldiers was speculated on from the onset of the war, but not seriously considered by Davis or others in his administration. Though an acrimonious and controversial debate was raised by a letter from Patrick Cleburne urging the Confederacy to raise black soldiers by offering emancipation, it wouldn't be until Robert E. Lee wrote the Confederate Congress urging them that the idea would take serious traction. On March 13, 1865, the Confederate Congress passed General Order 14, and President Davis signed the order into law. The order was issued March 23, but only a few African American companies were raised. Two companies were armed and drilled in the streets of Richmond, Virginia, shortly before the besieged southern capital fell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_Army

There were black soldiers...  just not very many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_African_Americans_in_the_U.S._Civil_War#Confederate_States_Army

So they basically used freedom as a bait and they still didn't get many.  Can't say I blame them for not wanting to join.  Most blacks down South believed that Lincoln had set them free.  I'm not sure what a Emacipation from the CSA would prove.  Besides the one coming from Lincoln did not really have a price.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/09 at 1:31 pm

So they basically used freedom as a bait and they still didn't get many.  Can't say I blame them for not wanting to join.  Most blacks down South believed that Lincoln had set them free.  I'm not sure what a Emacipation from the CSA would prove.  Besides the one coming from Lincoln did not really have a price.

The only problem I see with Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation is that it was very naive.

After blacks were freed in the South, they had no money, property, or education to their names.  So, not surprisingly, a lot of these former slaves continued to work on the same plantations as before.

Because the "40 acres and mule" never panned out, freedom was a rather superficial thing for many blacks.  The abolitionists should have come up with a more comprehensive plan for helping blacks adapt to free society.  Reconstruction helped to a degree, but even that eventually became the inspiration for groups like the KKK to rise up.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/20/09 at 2:14 pm

The only problem I see with Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation is that it was very naive.

After blacks were freed in the South, they had no money, property, or education to their names.  So, not surprisingly, a lot of these former slaves continued to work on the same plantations as before.

Because the "40 acres and mule" never panned out, freedom was a rather superficial thing for many blacks.  The abolitionists should have come up with a more comprehensive plan for helping blacks adapt to free society.  Reconstruction helped to a degree, but even that eventually became the inspiration for groups like the KKK to rise up.

I believe it would have been much different had Lincoln survived.  They were doing quite well, considering the circumstances, during Reconstruction.  The problem was that they were sold out by Andrew Johnson, and then the Republican party.  The history of the gains, and then losses, of freedom post Reconstruction is as disgraceful as the history of slavery, maybe more so.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 2:28 pm

Lincoln's action was fundamental though.  It was the required first step.  Without that, nothing else was going to be possible.  It did not make slavery illegal though.  That did not happen until the 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was passed in December 1865.

Perhaps the more pressing question is whether or not Lincoln would have made the Emancipation Proclamation if the Confederacy had not acted to seceed from the Union, or how much longer he would have waited.  ???

Note that the original Proclamation dated 9-22-1862 did not free all the slaves.  It simply freed the slaves who were in certain Confederate states as of 1-1-1863 if those states did not return to the Union by then.  The states of Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, and Delaware had not declared seccession and as such the Proclamation did not free their slaves.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/09 at 2:32 pm

I believe it would have been much different had Lincoln survived.  They were doing quite well, considering the circumstances, during Reconstruction.  The problem was that they were sold out by Andrew Johnson, and then the Republican party.  The history of the gains, and then losses, of freedom post Reconstruction is as disgraceful as the history of slavery, maybe more so.

Good points, and I agree to an extent.  Lincoln did seem to have a better mindset for progress.  He was far from being the saintly figure many assume he was, but he was certainly a better man than Johnson and most of the rest of the GOP and the Democrats.

Lincoln's action was fundamental though.  It was the required first step.  Without that, nothing else was going to be possible.  It did not make slavery illegal though.  That did not happen until the 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was passed in December 1865.

Perhaps the more pressing question is whether or not Lincoln would have made the Emancipation Proclamation if the Confederacy had not acted to seceed from the Union, or how much longer he would have waited.  ???

Note that the original Proclamation dated 9-22-1862 did not free all the slaves.  It simply freed the slaves who were in certain Confederate states as of 1-1-1863 if those states did not return to the Union by then.  The states of Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, and Delaware had not declared seccession and as such the Proclamation did not free their slaves.

Good points as well, and ones not often spoken of in Civil War debates.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/20/09 at 3:55 pm

You are correct.  The Proclamation only freed those slaves in areas of rebellion.  The border states did not secede so the slaves in those areas were still enslaved, and slaves in Indian Territories also were not freed(a little known note, the were not freed until well after Appomatox).  But, the enslaved took that ball and ran!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/20/09 at 6:23 pm

It was a political move to show the Confederacy who was boss.  Freeing slaves would disrupt the economy and it was a slap in the face to their "way of life".

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/09 at 4:12 pm

It was a political move to show the Confederacy who was boss.  Freeing slaves would disrupt the economy and it was a slap in the face to their "way of life".

That and the slaves being a fighting force behind the lines. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/21/09 at 4:24 pm

That and the slaves being a fighting force behind the lines. 

Yep, have to admit though it was one heck of a political maneuver.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/09 at 11:53 pm

We did have segregated buses when I was in school.  There was a separate short bus for kids like Rush!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...