» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: If a business owner eliminates his company's competitors....

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/18/09 at 9:57 pm

While at the same time bankrupting his own company, what kind of leader does that make him?

Let's ask Ronald Reagan.....

Subject: Re: If a business owner eliminates his company's competitors....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 10:02 pm

While at the same time bankrupting his own company, what kind of leader does that make him?

He has no answer, he has been dead for awhile....

But you can ask Zombie Reagan!!!!!!!

;D  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/09 at 4:28 am

Why go back to dead Reagan, ask live bush.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/09 at 8:39 am

Wow... you been working on this for the past 21 years?

By the way I am also a fierce opponent of deficit spending, but here are the stats while we are at it.  Figures are the deficit as a % of the Gross Domestic Product:

Reagan:  4.2%
Bush 1:  2% to 3%
Clinton:  (0.5%) to 3%
Bush 2: 2.0%
Obama's proposals: 3.9%  (This excludes 2009 which is of course vastly higher)

I have excluded 2009 from the Obama figures because one can reasonably argue that much od 2009 was outside his effective control as the new guy.

As to the overall size of federal spending, as a percentage of GDP here are the figures:

Since WW2, has run between 18 and 22% of GDP
Reagan peaked at 21.3%
Bush 1 ran from 21% to 22%
Clinton ran from 17% to 22%
Bush 2 Administration ran between 18 and 21%
Projected Year 1 of Obama Administration is 26%

The only guy in this list who has any bragging rights at all is Clinton, who started with a 3% deficit and gradually reduced to a 0.5% surplus.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/19/09 at 8:45 am

Wow... you been working on this for the past 21 years?

By the way I am also a fierce opponent of deficit spending, but here are the stats while we are at it.  Figures are the deficit as a % of the Gross Domestic Product:

Reagan:  4.2%
Bush 1:  2% to 3%
Clinton:  (0.5%) to 3%
Bush 2: 2.0%
Obama's proposals: 3.9%  (This excludes 2009 which is of course vastly higher)

I have excluded 2009 from the Obama figures because one can reasonably argue that much od 2009 was outside his effective control as the new guy.

As to the overall size of federal spending, as a percentage of GDP here are the figures:

Since WW2, has run between 18 and 22% of GDP
Reagan peaked at 21.3%
Bush 1 ran from 21% to 22%
Clinton ran from 17% to 22%
Bush 2 Administration ran between 18 and 21%
Projected Year 1 of Obama Administration is 26%

The only guy in this list who has any bragging rights at all is Clinton, who started with a 3% deficit and gradually reduced to a 0.5% surplus.

As Lyric was getting at, there will aways be over spending, of deficit spending. It's not going to change, anytime soon.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/09 at 9:16 am

.....and the deficit spending for Obama is trying to undo, as best as can be done, the mess of bush.  I would add quite a bit of the deficit spending attributed to Obama to the bush side.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/09 at 9:29 am

As Lyric was getting at, there will aways be over spending, of deficit spending. It's not going to change, anytime soon.

Actually what I was getting at is that (giving Obama the benefit of the doubt for 2009), his plans for the upcoming years will be to go back to the deficit levels that the Original Poster attributes to Ronald Reagan's administration.

Note that every President usually way OVERSHOOTS his deficit projections.  So if Obama's 2010-on projections are 3.9%, I shudder to think where they actually end up.

One would think that if Obama's deficit spending were to "undo what Bush did", his overall deficit figures would be LOWER THAN BUSH's average 2.0%, albeit higher than whatever one might think is reasonable.  Instead, Obama's projections are to INCREASE the deficit, and I am not talking about 2009.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/19/09 at 10:29 am

What was the deficit under FDR before the US got into WWII?  Keynesian economic works, and has been used since WWII to keep us out of depressions, which have always been a problem for capitalism.  In fact, Obama's deficit spending is trending closer to what Keynes called for than the deficit spending of past presidents.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/19/09 at 1:26 pm

Getting rid of the Fed Reserve would fix a lot of the problem.

Check for new replies or respond here...