» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New York Governor Paterson Asked to not Run for Reelection

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 8:01 am

Gee, I wonder if we will hear cries of racism on this ?  ::)

Subject: Re: New York Governor Paterson Asked to not Run for Reelection

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/20/09 at 8:22 am

No just discrimination against the disabled.  Paterson is legally blind.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/20/09 at 9:56 am

It's not because he's african american or because he's legally blind.  It's becauses he sucks!  He was not technically elected governor, he was the running mate of the dethroned Eliot Spitzer and as lieutenant governor, took the post.  He blew an awesome opportunity and his party knows he would never win a "re-election".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/20/09 at 10:00 am

It's not because he's african american or because he's legally blind.  It's becauses he sucks!  He was not technically elected governor, he was the running mate of the dethroned Eliot Spitzer and as lieutenant governor, took the post.  He blew an awesome opportunity and his party knows he would never win a "re-election".

I know, but I had to have an answer befitting LyricBoy.  Yes, Paterson sucks.  The guy doesn't have very good judgment.  Nor does he know the concept of cause and affect.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/20/09 at 10:16 am

Yes, Lyricboy's comments and eye-rolling are not warranted.  NY has no problem voting for African Americans (David Dinkins as Mayor and Obama winning the state).  As I said, he really did blow a great opportunity, inheriting the seat as he did. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 11:13 am

Yes, Lyricboy's comments and eye-rolling are not warranted.  NY has no problem voting for African Americans (David Dinkins as Mayor and Obama winning the state).  As I said, he really did blow a great opportunity, inheriting the seat as he did. 

I can pretty much assure you that if any white Republican suggested that Paterson not run for reelection, he would be assailed by Democrats and blacks as being an all-out racist.

The fact that the news "leaked" that Obama asked Paterson to not run for reelection reflects the state of cynicism in the United States today.  By arranging for Obama to make the request, the Democratic Party can shield itself from perceptions of being racist.

My view... and this would not matter if Paterson were Republican or Democrat, white or black... The President, who is not a citizen of the State of New York, should keep his nose out of the State's matters.  I would imagine that the Democratic voters of New York can be trusted to either vote FOR or AGAINST Paterson without outside interference.

As much as I do not like Ed Rendell here in PA, I would not be very happy with the President (or any figure who is not a voter in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania) trying to call the shots as to who runs for Governor in my state.

So ladybug... if Paterson is as big of a suckeroo as you have indicated, then no outside interference is needed.  The people of New York will make the right decision.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 1:00 pm

See below story from the AP this afternoon.

Why would Al Sharpton be calling the White House about who should or should not run for Governor of the State of New York?  Why would Sharpton not just simply take his case to the people of the State of New York?

Seems to me the President wants to get his fingers into controlling everything these days. He should have nothing to fear from the people of New York, after all they elected him, didn't they?

It seems to me that the President fears that the people of New York would prefer Paterson over Cuomo in the Democratic primary.  Hard to understand since Paterson apparently has such a low approval rating.

Would have been much "smoother" if they had just offered Paterson a cushy job in the Federal Government to keep him away at election day.  But then that would be extremely close to a Blagojevich maneuver.

ALBANY, N.Y. – Gov. David Paterson isn't scrapping his plans to run for the office he inherited 18 months ago despite growing pressure from Washington and intervention by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who has contacted the governor and the White House over his concern.

A senior Democratic adviser close to Paterson said Sunday that the state's first black governor is still planning to run and is focusing on the state's fiscal crisis. The adviser spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak for Paterson.

The governor's office has refused to comment since reports Saturday night revealed the Washington-based effort to persuade the governor to drop out of the 2010 race. That would pave the way for the far more popular Andrew Cuomo, the state's first-term attorney general.

The Rev. Al Sharpton said Sunday on his radio show that he has spoken to the White House and Paterson about his concern that Democrats do what is best for the people of New York. He wouldn't say whether he was advising Paterson to drop out.

Obama has not spoken to Paterson about the race, said a senior White House official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive political matter. But it's no secret that Democrats — in New York, in Washington and at the White House — are very concerned about Paterson's re-election bid.

The White House has not ordered Paterson to leave the race and would not do so, the official continued, saying only the governor can make the decision about what's right for him, the party and the state. But Obama's concern of losing the governor's office in such a key state has been communicated to Paterson and his advisers, the White Office official said.

Another senior Democratic adviser in New York said those seeking Paterson's withdrawal are suggesting he could land a Washington job in the administration. The adviser spoke on the condition of anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to speak for Paterson or the New York congressional delegation.

Paterson is scheduled to present a plan later this month to the Legislature to deal with a deficit of more than $2 billion, which likely will require politically unpopular cuts in funding for some of Albany's most powerful special interests.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/09 at 1:06 pm

I suppose this all depends on how likely the GOP can come up with a candidate that could beat Paterson.  If they believe that the opposition has a good chance of winning against him, then they should probably push for Cuomo to run.  I guess that's what they are already doing anyway.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 2:00 pm

I suppose this all depends on how likely the GOP can come up with a candidate that could beat Paterson.  If they believe that the opposition has a good chance of winning against him, then they should probably push for Cuomo to run.  I guess that's what they are already doing anyway.

I read that the Dems are afraid that Guiliani could beat Paterson in an election.  And that is probably accurate.

But why all this "don't run" stuff?  Don't they have primary elections in New York?  If Cuomo (the presumed preferred candidate for the Dems) is so great and Paterson is so bad, then why doesn't the Democratic Party trust the voting skills of their members to vote for the best candidate on the slate?

Very odd situation here...

I am thinking that Obama's disrespect for the democratic process in New York has to do with the fact that Paterson told him to go pack sand when he was pressuring Paterson to name Caroline "No Experience" Kennedy to the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton.  Paterson showed his independence in that situation, which of course is something that the White House does not want to see.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/09 at 2:37 pm

I read that the Dems are afraid that Guiliani could beat Paterson in an election.  And that is probably accurate.

But why all this "don't run" stuff?  Don't they have primary elections in New York?  If Cuomo (the presumed preferred candidate for the Dems) is so great and Paterson is so bad, then why doesn't the Democratic Party trust the voting skills of their members to vote for the best candidate on the slate?

Very odd situation here...

I am thinking that Obama's disrespect for the democratic process in New York has to do with the fact that Paterson told him to go pack sand when he was pressuring Paterson to name Caroline "No Experience" Kennedy to the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton.  Paterson showed his independence in that situation, which of course is something that the White House does not want to see.

Perhaps, but it's not like Obama's involvement in an upcoming primary is unprecedented.

You're right, though, that Cuomo should be able to win a primary fair and square if he's really a strong candidate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/09 at 5:11 pm

Perhaps, but it's not like Obama's involvement in an upcoming primary is unprecedented.

Oh I agree with that.  But my position on local (i.e., city, state, county) politics is that they should indeed be LOCAL and free of outside influence and money.  In my brand of campaign finance reform, for example, contributions are unlimited, except that only people who can vote in a given contest can contribute money to a candidate in it.  (ie, I can contribute all the $$$ I want to elect a dog catcher in Picksburgh, but I cannot donate one dime to get a candidate elected in New York City).

The handling of the Paterson affair is very clumsy.  The way these things are usually done is that a cushy Federal position is offered behind the scenes, and the offending politician announces that he has changed his plans.  Therefore I conclude that this whole Obama/Paterson thing has been done "in open court" because that will absolve the white guys who run the New York Democratic Party from being accused of being racist.

Check for new replies or respond here...