» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hugo Chavez declares war - on golf

Written By: Mushroom on 09/20/09 at 6:51 pm

Well, it seems that Mr. Chavez has a new enemy, that has to be destroyed in order to protect the people of Venezuela:  Golf.

He claims that golf is a sport of the bourgeois.  And since it is so popular in the US, that means it must be bad for Venezuela.  Therefore, he is closing golf courses across the country. 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574354203494729722.html
http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/09/08/venezuela-teeing-off-on-golf/

Although I bet it is all just sour grapes, because he keeps getting stuck in bunkers.  ;D

Subject: Re: Hugo Chavez declares war - on golf

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/20/09 at 7:04 pm

Well, it seems that Mr. Chavez has a new enemy, that has to be destroyed in order to protect the people of Venezuela:  Golf.

He claims that golf is a sport of the bourgeois.  And since it is so popular in the US, that means it must be bad for Venezuela.  Therefore, he is closing golf courses across the country.  

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574354203494729722.html
http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/09/08/venezuela-teeing-off-on-golf/

Although I bet it is all just sour grapes, because he keeps getting stuck in bunkers.   ;D

Sandy: I want you to kill every gophers on the golf course!
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! The little, brown, furry rodents !
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason. All right, let's do the same thing, but with gophers -!

Written By: gibbo on 09/20/09 at 8:58 pm

I think Mr Chavez may be a bit wayward with thgis particular drive!

Written By: philbo on 09/21/09 at 5:38 am

I think Mr Chavez may be a bit wayward with thgis particular drive!

I wondered why you'd putt it like that.. but then I thought "one would"

Do you think someone's been slipping something into Chavez' drinking water?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/09 at 11:51 am

My ex-husband played golf and I never quite understood the draw to it. He once said to me, "I hate it when people say that you are chasing a little ball around a course. It is so much more than that!" I thought about that for about a second and thought to myself, "Well, that is what you ARE doing-chasing a little ball around a course."  ???

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/21/09 at 12:02 pm

My ex-husband played golf and I never quite understood the draw to it. He once said to me, "I hate it when people say that you are chasing a little ball around a course. It is so much more than that!" I thought about that for about a second and thought to myself, "Well, that is what you ARE doing-chasing a little ball around a course."  ???

Cat

My dad always says playing golf spoils a good walk!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/09 at 12:35 pm

Hmmm... Maybe ol' Hugo and I have a point of common ground here...

;D ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/21/09 at 12:52 pm

Hugo must be thinking along the lines of "Golf is a way rich bastard waste their time."  Therefore ban it and never ever let any Country Clubs be built.

Written By: Jessica on 09/21/09 at 2:06 pm

Does this ban include miniature golf?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/21/09 at 4:25 pm

If they don't want junior capitalist with a flair for hole in ones they should.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/09 at 5:20 pm

I always thought it weird that people(guys especially) would want to spend an afternoon hitting their balls with a stick  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/09 at 5:22 pm

I always thought it weird that people(guys especially) would want to spend an afternoon hitting their balls with a stick   ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 09/21/09 at 6:03 pm

I always thought it weird that people(guys especially) would want to spend an afternoon hitting their balls with a stick   ::)

It's the eternal quest for that elusive hole-in-one!  ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/23/09 at 6:02 am

One of my favorite descriptions came from Rosie O'Donnell, back when she was still doing stand-up.  In the very early days of Comedy Central, she hosted a stand-up show.

One of her lines that I never forgot is "Golf is not a sport.  It is men in ugly pants, walking."

Written By: Mushroom on 09/23/09 at 6:09 am

Hugo must be thinking along the lines of "Golf is a way rich bastard waste their time."  Therefore ban it and never ever let any Country Clubs be built.

But more then just rich people play it.

In the military, you will mostly see enlisted (often lower enlisted) out batting balls around the course.  Out of the 5 or 6 golfers I know in my unit, only 1 is an Officer, and 1 is higher then the rank of Sergeant.

And in LA, there are lots of public golf courses.  Most of them have green fees starting at only around $10.  And in El Paso, the entire region is crazy about golf.  If you drive around the East side, you will see tons of streets with names like Arnold Palmer, Lee Travino, Pebble Hills, and the like.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/09 at 11:38 pm

I always thought it weird that people(guys especially) would want to spend an afternoon hitting their balls with a stick   ::)

As long as they're hitting their own balls with a stick, who am I to complain?  If they start hitting my balls with a stick, well then we've got a problem!
;)

:D
I could help him design a miniature golf course where you have to hit the Exxon-Mobile executive off the little oil derrick...

Sandy: I want you to kill every gophers on the golf course!
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! The little, brown, furry rodents !
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason. All right, let's do the same thing, but with gophers -!

Frank: Listen, what am I paying my f**king dues for? This is my golf course! If I wanna play here, I will play here. If he gets hit with my titleist, that's his f**king problem. Fore! Fore!

Bill Foster: Five! What the hell are you trying to do? Kill me with a golf ball? It's not enough you have all these beautiful acres fenced in for your little game, but you gotta kill me with a golf ball? You should have children playing here, you should have families having picnics, you should have a g*ddam petting zoo. But instead you've got these stupid electric carts for you old men with nothing better to do.

^ Michael Douglas in "Falling Down," my favorite speech about golf from the cinema!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...