» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Going Green... Is there a limit?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/09 at 4:58 pm

Warning, the attached link is not for the faint at heart.

http://thatschurch.com/2009/09/29/a-really-icky-post/

Is there such a thing as going "too green" ? ???

Subject: Re: Going Green... Is there a limit?

Written By: Jessica on 09/29/09 at 5:09 pm

No.  Just.....no.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/29/09 at 5:34 pm

Warning, the attached link is not for the faint at heart.

http://thatschurch.com/2009/09/29/a-really-icky-post/

Is there such a thing as going "too green" ? ???

Yes...  when it becomes unsanitary...

Written By: Dagwood on 09/29/09 at 6:21 pm

Yes there is a line and I believe it was just crossed.  Ick

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/09 at 12:26 am

Mrs. Yuk is mean,
Mrs. Yuk is green!

(Yep, I just checked.  Google image search for "Mrs. Yuk".  There's a (safe-for-work, not-safe-for-sanity) T-shirt featuring yet another proof of Rule 34, and I wasn't even looking for it.)

Written By: Satish on 09/30/09 at 12:59 am

It's not that unusual, actually. In the old days, diapers and maxi pads were made of cloth and reusable. They would have to be washed thoroughly before they could be worn again. Disposable diapers and maxi pads only appeared in the late 1800s. There's even a movement to stop using disposable diapers and go back to ones made of cloth since it will produce less garbage. Just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaper#Debate

Many people find this unsanitary and unpleasant, though.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/30/09 at 1:10 am

Yes, when people's health are being put in jeopardy.  Some things should not be done to be a a trendy environmentalist.

Written By: karen on 09/30/09 at 11:20 am

Yes, when people's health are being put in jeopardy.  Some things should not be done to be a a trendy environmentalist.

How is someone's health being put in jeopardy?  Toxic Shock Syndrome is generally caused by ladies wearing tampons too long, which super-absorbent modern materials facilitate.  I bet those home-made ones need changing more frequently than once or twice a day.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/09 at 12:45 pm

How is someone's health being put in jeopardy?  Toxic Shock Syndrome is generally caused by ladies wearing tampons too long, which super-absorbent modern materials facilitate.  I bet those home-made ones need changing more frequently than once or twice a day.

I would imagine that the user of the reuseable ones has to carry an ample supply of Ziploc bags in her purse too.  (Gotta put 'em somewhere befor eya get home)

8-P

Written By: karen on 09/30/09 at 1:00 pm

I would imagine that the user of the reuseable ones has to carry an ample supply of Ziploc bags in her purse too.  (Gotta put 'em somewhere befor eya get home)

8-P

No more nasty that using one of the disposable bins in a public toilet.  Now some of them are a public health hazard.

As Satish said it wasn't that long ago that most people used washable ones anyway.  How did they manage?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/09 at 4:46 pm

No more nasty that using one of the disposable bins in a public toilet.  Now some of them are a public health hazard.

Yeah, but you don't carry the disposable bin around with you all day either, and then throw its contents into your washing machine.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/30/09 at 5:40 pm

Well, if you really want to know more about what they used back in the day, you could always (no pun intended) visit the Museum of Menstruation online.  No, I'm not making that up.

http://www.mum.org/pastgerm.htm

Apparently they didn't wear anything or crocheted a Kotex like pad.  Nothing about tampons that I could see.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/30/09 at 8:16 pm

I think I'll keep mum about that one....  *rimshot*

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/30/09 at 9:38 pm

Are homemade ones sealed so they remain sterile? 

Written By: karen on 09/30/09 at 10:09 pm

Are homemade ones sealed so they remain sterile?  

When they have been washed I'm sure they are clean enough

eta  commercially made/bought tampons aren't sterile either

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/01/09 at 1:06 am

When they have been washed I'm sure they are clean enough

eta  commercially made/bought tampons aren't sterile either

The FDA would throw a fit if homemade tampons started selling big time.

Written By: karen on 10/01/09 at 7:55 am

The FDA would throw a fit if homemade tampons started selling big time.

I don't think anyone is suggesting selling them.  Just giving people patterns, and hints and tips for making their own.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/09 at 7:59 am

I don't think anyone is suggesting selling them.  Just giving people patterns, and hints and tips for making their own.

Hmmm... Maybe ChuckyG could sell licensing rights so that some entrepreneur can market them with the AmIRight.com or InThe00s.com logos on them. ???

;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/01/09 at 3:25 pm

Some people just use a rag rather than toilet paper!

I'll just use a bidet, thank you very much!

Written By: Tam on 10/01/09 at 3:28 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting selling them.  Just giving people patterns, and hints and tips for making their own.

Right. ;)

At close to the end of the video, the ladies say that they do not recommend using homemade tampons in any way, shape or form.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/09 at 7:40 pm

Right. ;)

At close to the end of the video, the ladies say that they do not recommend using homemade tampons in any way, shape or form.

We live in a litigious society, so the disclaimer was well-advised.  If a woman dies of toxic shock syndrome after applying a home-fashioned tampon as demonstrated in the video, her family just might sue those nice ladies for negligence leading to wrongful death.  Not that the suit would get anywhere, but it's better to play it safe!
::)

Anyway, if it's green that time of the month, I'd advise seeing your ob/gyn.

:P

Check for new replies or respond here...