» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: To Kill A Mockingbird, banded in GTA public schools.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/05/09 at 1:28 pm

Apparently, there is now a ban on having one of my favorite books, and a classic one, too. To Kill A Mockingbird, from local Toronto public schools.

I wonder, what other books, could theortically be banned, next?

::)

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/10/05/11302316-sun.html

Subject: Re: To Kill A Mockingbird, banded in GTA public schools.

Written By: Tam on 10/05/09 at 1:34 pm

Apparently, there is now a ban on having one of my favorite books, and a classic one, too. To Kill A Mockingbird, from local Toronto public schools.

Well, it isn't banned yet.
The school board has received a complaint, and "If the complaint proceeds under the board's policy for learning resource complaints, a review committee would issue a written report recommending whether the book is appropriate."

So as of right now it is still on the curriculum.

I see no problem with the book. Why get rid of books in order to be politically correct, as the article says? It is a materpiece that provokes thought and gives a view of the history that people had to endure.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/05/09 at 1:55 pm

Well, it isn't banned yet.
The school board has received a complaint, and "If the complaint proceeds under the board's policy for learning resource complaints, a review committee would issue a written report recommending whether the book is appropriate."

So as of right now it is still on the curriculum.

I see no problem with the book. Why get rid of books in order to be politically correct, as the article says? It is a materpiece that provokes thought and gives a view of the history that people had to endure.

Good point, especially they are also avialable at book stores, and libraries, too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/09 at 5:01 pm

Oh no, not all this bullshirt again!

Why don't the take TKAM and Tom Sawyer and replace all the "n*gg*rs" with "person of color."  Yeah, that'll really help the students understand historical context.  Real edjama-f**kin'- cational!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/iamwithstupid.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/05/09 at 6:26 pm

Oh no, not all this bullshirt again!

Why don't the take TKAM and Tom Sawyer and replace all the "n*gg*rs" with "person of color."  Yeah, that'll really help the students understand historical context.  Real edjama-f**kin'- cational!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/iamwithstupid.gif

I agree, it's kind of sucks, that this is happening, all over again.  ::)  I wonder what Atticus Finch, would have though about this, happening.

Written By: Silver Power on 10/05/09 at 6:29 pm

Two years ago when I was in 9th grade, we had to read that, and it was one of the only books that I actually liked all year. And I'm not a reader. It shouldn't be banned, it may have racism in it, but it's true to the time and setting in which it took place. Racism is a terrible thing, but this wasn't a racist book.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/05/09 at 6:37 pm

Some people can't take a book in it's historical context so they try and ban it.  P.C. is appropriate in some context but not when you're dealing with an era that had such things as racism, slavery, excessive drinking and other things.  You can't portray history if you can't handle the truth about it.

Written By: gibbo on 10/05/09 at 7:39 pm

Some people can't take a book in it's historical context so they try and ban it.  P.C. is appropriate in some context but not when you're dealing with an era that had such things as racism, slavery, excessive drinking and other things.  You can't portray history if you can't handle the truth about it.

That's right. History should never be sanitised....it happened and should be studied in order to learn some lessons.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/05/09 at 8:57 pm

The Toronto Sun is a tabloid.  I wouldn't exactly use it as a valid source for news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Sun

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/09 at 12:09 am

Sometimes the word n*gg*r is needed and no other will do.  This ugliness is the white man's legacy and he's a coward all over again if he refuses to face its prevalence in American history.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/06/09 at 1:08 am

Sometimes the word n*gg*r is needed and no other will do.  This ugliness is the white man's European's legacy and he's a coward all over again if he refuses to face its prevalence in American history.

Fixed.  Given modern racial descriptors, white and Hispanic are different races, but both engaged in the slave trade and in subsequent racist policies.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/09 at 2:32 am

....... both engaged in the slave trade and in subsequent racist policies.

Who didn't?

Negative isms are something that are universal.  Educating people to the uses of them by the power structure would go a long way towards eradicating them. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/06/09 at 9:48 am

Absolutely!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/06/09 at 11:29 am

History can not be whitewashed (sorry for using, the word), because it's too horrible, of an event to happen.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/09 at 11:32 am

History can not be whitewashed (sorry for using, the word),

That's mighty white of you  ::)

Written By: philbo on 10/06/09 at 3:18 pm

You can't portray history if you can't handle the truth about it.

You want the truth?  You can't handle the truth </Nicholson>

But seriously, we (as a species, that is) are very good at forgetting nasty truths: that's why history keeps repeating itself.  Those who try and cover up the nastiness of history are the ones most likely to enable the nastiness to happen again

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/06/09 at 4:26 pm

Shakespeare Books are/were banned at one time. During the Cromwell years of England, there was no plays done by Shakespeare and today they are questioned for their strong innuendos. But "Merchant of Venice" has many Anti-Semitisms in it.

I won't be surprised that "Gone With the Wind" is still banned because of Scarlett's reaction toward the blacks in the book and the word 'damn' mentioned in the end.

Hey, let's have a book-burning rather than read a book near an open fire...we throw books in the fire. Oh sheesh...that means The Bible is one of those books too...sheesh! :P    

Written By: philbo on 10/06/09 at 5:08 pm

Shakespeare Books are/were banned at one time. During the Cromwell years of England, there was no plays done by Shakespeare and today they are questioned for their strong innuendos. But "Twelfth Night" has many Anti-Semitisms in it.

"Twelfth Night"?  You want to try the Merchant of Venice ;) 

Cromwell didn't like anything that even suggested that people might have a good time - he was a strange bloke.

Hey, let's have a book-burning rather than read a book near an open fire...we throw books in the fire. Oh sheesh...that means The Bible is one of those books too...sheesh! :P   

Well, the bible does have more sex, violence, bigotry and intolerance than almost every other book ever published. A candidate for burning, if ever there was one.  And while you're at it, stick the Koran on, just so as not to show any kind of favouritism.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/06/09 at 6:13 pm

Who didn't?

Negative isms are something that are universal.  Educating people to the uses of them by the power structure would go a long way towards eradicating them. 

No argument here.  It was actually Arabs who started the African slave trade.

Written By: Silver Power on 10/06/09 at 8:41 pm

That's mighty white of you  ::)

Karamel, no questions asked.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/09 at 6:35 am

No argument here.  It was actually Arabs who started the African slave trade.

I began well before that, and was, and continues to be, pretty universal.  I skunk by any other name still stinks.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/07/09 at 9:07 pm

I began well before that, and was, and continues to be, pretty universal.  I skunk by any other name still stinks.

If we're specifically talking about the spread of the African Slave Trade beyond Africa itself, it did begin with Arabs.

Now, slavery as an institution is as old as prostitution.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/09 at 12:10 am

If we're specifically talking about the spread of the African Slave Trade beyond Africa itself, it did begin with Arabs.

Now, slavery as an institution is as old as prostitution.

Well, it's like saying the Norse peoples "discovered" North America before Columbus.  True, but so what? 

The fact that Arabs were enslaving Africans before Western Europeans does not speak to the atrocities of the trans-Atlantic slave trade for a mass agricultural labor force. 

But we digress...

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/09 at 10:39 pm

"But Teacher, I don't see the problem!  I mean, they treated Jim with respect, everyone even went out of their way to call him a Person of Color, obviously there was no racism, not even in the deep South!"

I don't care for the word.  But sometimes the word has to be used.  Used right, it still cuts deep - cue Lenny Bruce's routine on the word.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/08/09 at 11:59 pm

Well, it's like saying the Norse peoples "discovered" North America before Columbus.  True, but so what?  

The fact that Arabs were enslaving Africans before Western Europeans does not speak to the atrocities of the trans-Atlantic slave trade for a mass agricultural labor force.  

But we digress...

But had that trade never been established by Arabs, the likelihood of Europeans discovering this lucrative trade would have been considerably lower.

Then again, I guess you could also point out how if these African tribes weren't fighting and enslaving each other to begin with, then no trade would have occurred in the first place.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/09 at 7:40 am

But had that trade never been established by Arabs, the likelihood of Europeans discovering this lucrative trade would have been considerably lower.

Then again, I guess you could also point out how if these African tribes weren't fighting and enslaving each other to begin with, then no trade would have occurred in the first place.

Much more complicated than can be answered here. The nature of slavery in Europe, Africa, and United States was very different.  Of course in Europe and Africa they weren't so hypocritical that they would espouse the lofty ideal that "all men are created equal",  then go on to legislate the definition of who counts as "men"

Written By: McDonald on 10/09/09 at 9:55 am

There's been a request to ban it. It hasn't been banned yet and probably won't be. Although I have a few suggestions for required reading in Canadian high schools myself (like perhaps introducing the students to some of the great Canadian works of literature).

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/09 at 1:28 pm

There's been a request to ban it. It hasn't been banned yet and probably won't be. Although I have a few suggestions for required reading in Canadian high schools myself (like perhaps introducing the students to some of the great Canadian works of literature).

Robertson Davies, Margaret Atwood, and Farley Mowat for start.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/09/09 at 7:07 pm

Much more complicated than can be answered here. The nature of slavery in Europe, Africa, and United States was very different.  Of course in Europe and Africa they weren't so hypocritical that they would espouse the lofty ideal that "all men are created equal",  then go on to legislate the definition of who counts as "men"

No doubt...  Also, slavery in the New World was hereditary, quite unlike many other forms of slavery.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/10/09 at 6:23 am

No doubt...  Also, slavery in the New World was hereditary, quite unlike many other forms of slavery.

There's the rub.  The child "followed the condition of the mother" making rape a profitable part of the owners business plan.

Written By: McDonald on 10/10/09 at 2:24 pm

Robertson Davies, Margaret Atwood, and Farley Mowat for start.

Thank you! Especially Davies ( ;)).

And not only is Atwwod the powerhouse of CanLit, she is also the expert, having published her analysis, Survival, on it in 1972. Literature is the soul of every nation.   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/09 at 6:19 pm

"But Teacher, I don't see the problem!  I mean, they treated Jim with respect, everyone even went out of their way to call him a Person of Color, obviously there was no racism, not even in the deep South!"

I don't care for the word.  But sometimes the word has to be used.  Used right, it still cuts deep - cue Lenny Bruce's routine on the word.

Damn straight.  Lenny nailed it!

Ironically, Jim had it better than the so-called "field n*gg*rs," and the "Jims" of the antebellum South had it better than most poor whites...BUT, Jim was still just "Miss Watson's big n*gg*r."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/09 at 6:24 pm

Even if that were true--and I don't think it is--it would STILL do nothing to mitigate the aforementioned atrocities by European-American slave traders and slave owners.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/11/09 at 9:57 pm

Even if that were true--and I don't think it is--it would STILL do nothing to mitigate the aforementioned atrocities by European-American slave traders and slave owners.

I'm still not sure where you're getting that I'm saying it would mitigate it....

All I'm saying is that slavery on the scale that was seen in the New World was only possible with multiple guilty parties involved -- European and otherwise.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/09 at 3:14 am

I'm still not sure where you're getting that I'm saying it would mitigate it....

All I'm saying is that slavery on the scale that was seen in the New World was only possible with multiple guilty parties involved -- European and otherwise.

That is pretty much true of all atrocities, but, that fact should never be used to explain or diminish the the culpability of either party.  The argument that the slaves brought from Africa we sold to Europe and America by Africans does not diminish the the responsibility of the latter, as if because the Africans were brought into slavery by other Africans somehow should make it more palatable.  It is also true that the American form of slavery was much more insidious than the form of slavery practiced by Europeans and Africans. 

Written By: Macphisto on 10/13/09 at 10:21 pm

That is pretty much true of all atrocities, but, that fact should never be used to explain or diminish the the culpability of either party.  The argument that the slaves brought from Africa we sold to Europe and America by Africans does not diminish the the responsibility of the latter, as if because the Africans were brought into slavery by other Africans somehow should make it more palatable.  It is also true that the American form of slavery was much more insidious than the form of slavery practiced by Europeans and Africans.   

I'm assuming you meant that the form of slavery practiced in the New World was worse than that of the Old World.  I would agree that hereditary slavery is worse.

And again, I'm not saying that the involvement of other parties makes it any less worse to have engaged in.  I just believe that the blame shouldn't always be directed at Europeans.

You rarely hear people denounce Arabs for engaging in slavery, for example.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/09 at 10:24 pm

I'm assuming you meant that the form of slavery practiced in the New World was worse than that of the Old World.  I would agree that hereditary slavery is worse.

And again, I'm not saying that the involvement of other parties makes it any less worse to have engaged in.  I just believe that the blame shouldn't always be directed at Europeans.

You rarely hear people denounce Arabs for engaging in slavery, for example.

I hear people denounce Arabs for slavery and just about everything else under the sun.  Though it is illegal, slavery and indentured servitude still goes on in underground communities here in the U.S.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/13/09 at 11:02 pm

I hear people denounce Arabs for slavery and just about everything else under the sun.  Though it is illegal, slavery and indentured servitude still goes on in underground communities here in the U.S.

Sex slaves are definitely still an issue here and in a lot of the world in general.

As far as indentured servitude goes though...  they call that credit these days....  ;)

Written By: philbo on 10/14/09 at 1:26 am

Osmund Saddler, Mac?
Hannibal Lecter, Max?

When did that happen?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/14/09 at 5:15 pm

Osmund Saddler, Mac?
Hannibal Lecter, Max?

When did that happen?

For me, it began with Las Plagas...  ;)

Written By: karen on 10/14/09 at 10:27 pm

Osmund Saddler, Mac?
Hannibal Lecter, Max?

When did that happen?

You need to visit some other areas of the board philbo - there's a thread or two in PPP/WOW that might explain things

Written By: philbo on 10/15/09 at 5:30 am

You need to visit some other areas of the board philbo - there's a thread or two in PPP/WOW that might explain things

Nah... they expect people to be nice in other areas of the board ;)

Written By: karen on 10/15/09 at 8:48 am

Nah... they expect people to be nice in other areas of the board ;)

You should've been a member of the smite club

Check for new replies or respond here...