» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Columbus Day

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/08/09 at 2:25 pm

Lately, some people are calling Columbus Day Discoverers Day because Christopher Columbus didn't discover America!

No, what Columbus discovered was America, and he found out that it was habitable since people DID live there. Prior to 1492, no one knew that people lived in America, unless they were people who came from Russia such as the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incans.

Do we have to have Columbus pushed-off now?!

Subject: Re: Columbus Day

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/09 at 3:05 pm

Lately, some people are calling Columbus Day Discoverers Day because Christopher Columbus didn't discover America!

No, what Columbus discovered was America, and he found out that it was habitable since people DID live there. Prior to 1492, no one knew that people lived in America, unless they were people who came from Russia such as the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incans.

Do we have to have Columbus pushed-off now?!

Discoverers Day would also be an anachronism.  When Columbus sailed here there were thousands of soon to be wiped out people here, and 500 years before he showed up Leif Erickson had been here without the calamitous after effects.  He never did sail to what would be the United States, he stayed around the Islands of the Caribbean. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/09 at 4:55 pm

bad deals for the red man day

:(

Written By: nally on 10/08/09 at 6:54 pm

At this point I'm unsure. :-\\ After all, it doesn't get observed much anymore these days...at least where I am. I think the post office still observes it, cuz we don't get any mail that day...

Written By: karen on 10/08/09 at 7:10 pm

At this point I'm unsure. :-\\ After all, it doesn't get observed much anymore these days...at least where I am. I think the post office still observes it, cuz we don't get any mail that day...

Schools are closed here.

Written By: nally on 10/08/09 at 7:13 pm

Schools are closed here.

But not in California they aren't. Or at least in the L.A. Unified School District (which contained all the public schools I attended). We never had that day off. Well I did in my 1st and 2nd grade years, but only because I attended a private school then.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/08/09 at 7:31 pm

Columbus Day celebrates the notion of Imperialism.  Even if Columbus did discover America what he did to the natives was cruelty and beyond.  He and his men killed, tortured, raped and forced people to convert to Christianity. 

Written By: Macphisto on 10/09/09 at 12:15 am

I suppose you could always rename it "Smallpox Day."

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/09/09 at 2:23 pm

I suppose you could always rename it "Smallpox Day."

Karma for the blunt honesty.

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/09 at 6:16 pm

In Canada, since 1957, we call the 2nd Monday in October 'Thanksgiving'.

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Canadian posters!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/09 at 6:28 pm

Columbus Day celebrates the notion of Imperialism.  Even if Columbus did discover America what he did to the natives was cruelty and beyond.  He and his men killed, tortured, raped and forced people to convert to Christianity. 

Because that's what Christ commanded: "Ye shall go forth and torture, rape, and kill."

That's from the Gospel of Rush, which didn't make the final edition 'coz the church elders were too high on OxyContin to find the scrolls!

:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/12/09 at 1:20 pm

Because that's what Christ commanded: "Ye shall go forth and torture, rape, and kill."

That's from the Gospel of Rush, which didn't make the final edition 'coz the church elders were too high on OxyContin to find the scrolls!

:D

Max...

Ever go to uncyclopedia?

Check for new replies or respond here...