» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: JP of 34 Years Still Refuses to Marry "Interracial" Couples

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/09 at 8:14 am

A Louisiana Justice of the Peace has been refusing to marry "interracial" couples for the past 34 years.  My question is why has it taken so long for someone to complain, and why has he been allowed to go on in his position.  I am sure that this is not a surprise to the people in his area.

www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/17/interracial.marriage/

Subject: Re: JP of 34 Years Still Refuses to Marry "Interracial" Couples

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/17/09 at 12:28 pm

Good question.  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 10/17/09 at 6:30 pm

He can suck my mixed race ass cheek.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/17/09 at 8:32 pm

He can suck my mixed race ass cheek.

lol...  Agreed.  Thankfully, interracial relationships and marriages in my city are considered normal and (as far as I can tell) most people here treat them no differently from other relationships.  You would think the same would be true of New Orleans, but I guess not...

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/09 at 6:30 am

lol...  Agreed.  Thankfully, interracial relationships and marriages in my city are considered normal and (as far as I can tell) most people here treat them no differently from other relationships.  You would think the same would be true of New Orleans, but I guess not...

You would think especially in New Orleans. The Big Easy isn't known for its stiff upper lip lifestyle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/18/09 at 7:58 am

You would think the same would be true of New Orleans, but I guess not...

I wouldn't think that.  Racism is everywhere.  Heck, even the Mayor of N'awlins is famous for his "Chocolate City" speech

Written By: Step-chan on 10/20/09 at 3:16 pm

I remember Saturday Night Live talking about this in their news.

I know they're not a news source, but they did say something in response to his reasons why.(Which is that he doesn't believe in mixing)

"Don't follow up a denial of racism, with the definition of it".

That JP needs to be fired, end of story.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/20/09 at 4:27 pm

I wouldn't think that.  Racism is everywhere.  Heck, even the Mayor of N'awlins is famous for his "Chocolate City" speech

Maybe the Mayor of The Big Easy should listen to "Chocolate Rain".

BTW-Who the fudge is the JP...David Duke?!

Written By: philbo on 10/21/09 at 7:36 am

You'd think that by now he might have come to realize that mixed-race children can actually do rather well for themselves - unless he's thinking along the lines that the only mixed-race people he sees are the ones who come up in court.. therefore they're all criminals (what do you reckon to my stab at the legal mind's logic?)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/09 at 9:48 am

....unless he's thinking along the lines that the only mixed-race people he sees are the ones who come up in court.. therefore they're all criminals (what do you reckon to my stab at the legal mind's logic?)

I think I know what you mean, he sees a "mixed race" person in court he thinks that the reason he/she is there is because of that perceived status.  Where as he would look at someone who was not of "mixed race" and consider they were there for other reasons.

That tends to be the case of bigots.

Written By: philbo on 10/21/09 at 10:15 am

I think I know what you mean, he sees a "mixed race" person in court he thinks that the reason he/she is there is because of that perceived status.  Where as he would look at someone who was not of "mixed race" and consider they were there for other reasons.

While I'm not going to disagree that there are definitely people who will see a black man in the dock and assume he's in the dock because he's black, that wasn't quite the cause/effect I was thinking of when I wrote that - thinking that in his working life, the only mixed-race people he's met are those who are on trial (quite probably with a history of family breakdown and the like)... and therefore assumes that all mixed-race people are basically the same.  He probably hasn't even considered that mixed-race marriages can produce world champions or presidents.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/24/09 at 11:37 am

Pete had something to say related to this.

http://lyrics.filestube.com/song/ef993710942daebf03ea,All-Mixed-Up.html#videoAnchor

I guess this JP never heard this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...