» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Vatican Ploy to Poach Market Share from the Anglicans

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/09 at 8:26 am

Looks like the guys in the marketing department at the Vatican have decided that the time is ripe to poach some members from the Anglican Church.

http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2009/october/20/vatican-creates-new-structure-for-anglicans.html

There always has been a "fast track" for Anglican priests to become Catholic priests, but these new proposals take things farther, so that your average "Joe six pack" Anglican churchgoer can sign up to be a Roamin' Catholic too.   8)

Not sure how well this will work.  Anglicans (Episcopalians here in the U.S. of A.) already have an alternative to "mainstream", called the Anglican Church of the Southern Cone, which has already been adopted by the majority of Episcopalian parishes here in the Picksburgh area.  The Cone strictly adheres to the traditional Anglican/Episcopalian beliefs.

Subject: Re: Vatican Ploy to Poach Market Share from the Anglicans

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/20/09 at 9:05 am

Good luck with one!

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/09 at 3:15 pm

I was raised Episcopal, and I can't see a lot of them turning to the Catholic Church, even though the two are near identical.  The swearing allegiance to the Pope is the thing that would keep them away.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/20/09 at 4:22 pm

Episcopalians are just English Catholics.

They just split-up from the Catholics so Henry VIII could get divorced!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/09 at 6:02 pm

If this program works out, we're gonna start recruiting Jews too. 

Converts under that program will be able to have their bar mitzvah count as a substitute for confirmation.

;D

Written By: Jessica on 10/20/09 at 6:24 pm

Episcopalians are just English Catholics.

They just split-up from the Catholics so Henry XIII could get divorced!

There was no Henry XIII.  Perhaps you were thinking of Henry VIII?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/20/09 at 7:09 pm

There was no Henry XIII.  Perhaps you were thinking of Henry VIII?

D'oh!

I just fixed it!

Written By: Macphisto on 10/20/09 at 7:54 pm

Just in case you are Anglican clergy and had a craving for choir boys...  there now is a way...

j/k  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/09 at 6:16 am

Just in case you are Anglican clergy and had a craving for choir boys...  there now is a way...

j/k  ;)

I was thinking the sssaaaaaammmmme thiiiiiiinnnnggg....... ;D

Written By: philbo on 10/21/09 at 7:31 am

Sometimes it takes something as laughably silly as this (or Tony Blair's conversion) to make you realize just how bizarre some people's view of what is important in life is.

So Pope Ben's position seems to be that if you're misogynist and/or homophobic, there's a place in the Catholic church.. an organization that seems to think that God's long-term plan for humanity is to die of starvation after filling up the planet with unfettered breeding.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/ryanposhusta/PopePalpatine.png
No Anglican can resist the power of the dark side

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/22/09 at 2:27 pm

The catholic church is loosing its members right and left.  Diocese are either closing down, consolidating, going bankrupt or paying out hush money.  They're catering to disgruntled people which is never a good way to increase your numbers. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/22/09 at 11:46 pm

The catholic church is loosing its members right and left.  Diocese are either closing down, consolidating, going bankrupt or paying out hush money.  They're catering to disgruntled people which is never a good way to increase your numbers. 

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs23/300W/i/2007/347/b/7/Dark_Side_Cookies_by_Slade_Nightclan.jpg

How about a bake sale?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/23/09 at 7:49 am

To the contrary.  Almost every organized religion has its roots in disgruntled people.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/23/09 at 5:25 pm

To the contrary.  Almost every organized religion has its roots in disgruntled people.

Is this why Christianity has so many denominations and groups within those denominations with very few members?  Anglicans aren't going to become Catholic.  What's most likely to happen is splinter groups.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/23/09 at 5:27 pm

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs23/300W/i/2007/347/b/7/Dark_Side_Cookies_by_Slade_Nightclan.jpg

How about a bake sale?

That'll work!!!  Nothing like chocolate chip cookies to lead a person to religion. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/23/09 at 8:32 pm

Is this why Christianity has so many denominations and groups within those denominations with very few members?  Anglicans aren't going to become Catholic.  What's most likely to happen is splinter groups.

Well I think that most of the "breakaway" parishes (here in Picksburgh the "breakaways" are actually the majority of the Episcopalian parishes) will affiliate with the Southern Cone Anglicans.

With the Southern Cone affiliation available, I would not expect much need for Episcopalians to go back to the mother church.

The Presbys are close to a similar schism, and I think the Lutherans are too.  All of the mainline protestant churches are struggling with elements that would like to "modernize" their religions.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/24/09 at 10:37 am

All of the mainline protestant churches are struggling with elements that would like to "modernize" their religions.

Pretty much, although modernizing religions is kind of akin to getting people to realize it's b.s.  I think there's a good reason why so many people are switching to atheism or agnosticism.

Check for new replies or respond here...