» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Question about Social Security & Medicare & Other Gov't programs

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/28/09 at 5:17 pm

Hey,

I'm 18 now. I was wondering if Social Security and Medicare will likely exist when I'm 65? Also, will other gov't programs--such as NASA, Education, and EPA likely still exist then, along with employee protections--or will the cons finally get their way and have us with a circa 1890 cowboy state, where business are not government and employees are not protected by regulation, where education is in the hands of fundie teachers, the elderly are left to (die) fend for themselves as it was before the 1930s, and the environment is utterly forgotten? The conservative's vision for America scares the hell out of me.

Subject: Re: Question about Social Security & Medicare & Other Gov't programs

Written By: Macphisto on 10/28/09 at 6:15 pm

SS looks like it's on the way out.  Medicare will likely be replaced by socialized medicine (but it might take some time).

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/28/09 at 6:26 pm

SS looks like it's on the way out.  Medicare will likely be replaced by socialized medicine (but it might take some time).

So basically it's back to the 1920s.
Isn't there any way to save SS?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/28/09 at 7:15 pm

So basically it's back to the 1920s.

Maybe...  they could get rid of the SS base wage cap, but that presents other problems.

Written By: philbo on 10/29/09 at 4:21 am

Jawohl

oops.. just realized you were talking about social security ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/09 at 5:30 am

Hey,

I'm 18 now. I was wondering if Social Security and Medicare will likely exist when I'm 65? Also, will other gov't programs--such as NASA, Education, and EPA likely still exist then, along with employee protections--or will the cons finally get their way and have us with a circa 1890 cowboy state, where business are not government and employees are not protected by regulation, where education is in the hands of fundie teachers, the elderly are left to (die) fend for themselves as it was before the 1930s, and the environment is utterly forgotten? The conservative's vision for America scares the hell out of me.

The bit about worker protection is definitely on its way out, and it is the workers who are their own worst enemy. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/29/09 at 7:04 am

I would think to some extent because workers pay into it so unless you get rid of that it should still be in place.

Check for new replies or respond here...