» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So, will you betting a H1N1 flu shot?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/09 at 8:22 pm

I will be going to the clinic, to get my mine next Monday.

Subject: Re: So, will you betting a H1N1 flu shot?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/29/09 at 8:42 pm

no.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/09 at 9:25 pm

They were out when I went to the doctor.  I told her I wasn't worried about it though (she didn't look that worried, either).  I did get the regular flu shot because she was concerned about me getting the flu and having it screw with my already messed up body.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/30/09 at 7:47 am

Not me but I got the vaccination for my daughter.  She is in school and you know how kids pick crap up.  I'm not worried about the flu, I just don't want her to get sick. 

Written By: karen on 10/30/09 at 8:25 am

I've been dithering about it.

My daughter hates getting injections so I was thinking about the live through the nose vaccine.  But a friend (who's a nurse) recommended the injection.  We don't usually get the flu jab.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/09 at 9:11 am

I already got immunized... the hard way.  Caught H1N1 about a month and a half ago.

Written By: Jessica on 10/30/09 at 9:57 am

I already got immunized... the hard way.  Caught H1N1 about a month and a half ago.

:o

Rice's labmate had it as well, so I figure we've already been exposed to it, so the vaccine doesn't really matter.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/09 at 11:02 am

I haven't had a flu shot in YEARS. When I was in the AF, it was mandatory but I did manage to get out of it a few times. "I think I'm pregnant. Yeah, that's it. I'm trying to get pregnant." Some years it didn't work. Oh well. Carlos doc is always urging me to get one but I really do have an acute case of "needle-itis". I hate needles with a passion. So no, not going to get one.

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/30/09 at 3:23 pm

Nope.  The kids won't be getting one either.  Besides the fact that there are none available in our area, I think Ethan's already had it, despite the negative "flu swab."  He had all of the symptoms and the doctor even told us the swab isn't 100% accurate.  The other 2 didn't get it so I think (hope) we're safe.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/31/09 at 9:26 am

And you lived!!!  So is it worse than the worse normal flu?

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/01/09 at 2:23 pm

Nope.

Since I have autism and I'm not vulnerable for the H1N1...I'm toughing it out!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 2:26 pm

To have the H1N1 (swine flu) jab here in the UK you have to be pregnant or an elderly person.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/01/09 at 3:24 pm

To have the H1N1 (swine flu) jab here in the UK you have to be pregnant or an elderly person.

That's funny.  Here the elderly are not considered a risk for the H1N1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 3:25 pm

That's funny.  Here the elderly are not considered a risk for the H1N1.
It is not funny for swine is taken to be serious over here.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/01/09 at 3:27 pm

It is not funny for swine is taken to be serious over here.

I'm not saying funny as in ha ha.  I just think it is interesting how who is considered high risk is different over there. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 3:30 pm

I'm not saying funny as in ha ha.  I just think it is interesting how who is considered high risk is different over there. 
These are groups of people who are most vulnerable to serious illness from swine flu will be offered the vaccine first. In order of priority, these are:

•People aged between six months and 65 years in the seasonal flu vaccine at-risk groups (listed below).
•All pregnant women.
•People who live with someone whose immune system is compromised (for example, people with cancer or HIV/AIDS).
•People aged 65 and over in the seasonal flu vaccine at-risk groups.

So that means normal members of the public have to wait somewhile for the jab, even if the employment done is important.

Written By: nally on 11/02/09 at 2:35 pm

I'm not sure yet. But I did get my (plain old) flu shot last week.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/09 at 6:57 pm

I'm thinking of getting one 'coz I work in close quarters with college kids with crummy personal habits.  I was feeling too nihilistic to get one earlier this fall!

::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/09 at 6:50 am

I am part of the population that can't get the shots because of an egg allergy.  They incubate the serum on eggs so people who can't eat eggs can't get the shot.  I only found that out after, many years ago, getting a flu shot and getting violently ill from it, sometimes they forget to tell people that if you are allergic to eggs you shouldn't get the shot  :. 

Written By: ninny on 11/04/09 at 9:34 am

Here is a list of people in high risk

* pregnant women
    * children under age two years old
    * people with chronic medical problems, such as chronic lung disease, like asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and immunosuppression
    * children and adults with obesity

Serious Swine Flu Symptoms

More serious symptoms that would indicate that a child with swine flu would need urgent medical attention include:

* Fast breathing or trouble breathing
    * Bluish or gray skin color
    * Not drinking enough fluids
    * Severe or persistent vomiting
    * Not waking up or not interacting
    * Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
    * Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

Written By: Mushroom on 11/04/09 at 10:19 am

They are saying that we will be getting ours in a few weeks.

And yes, we have been hit by it over here as well.  My Battalion has had several cases already.  And everybody that goes on R&R is checked both before they leave country, and when they return.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/04/09 at 1:32 pm

I want one for Neal... if I don't think it'll take away from those at risk, I'll get one myself.  I don't interact with many people on a day to day basis, but Neal's in school and those places are breeding grounds for everything. 

I get sick more now that I have a kid, whereas before I was married I rarely ever caught anything going around.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/04/09 at 2:39 pm

I want one for Neal... if I don't think it'll take away from those at risk, I'll get one myself.  I don't interact with many people on a day to day basis, but Neal's in school and those places are breeding grounds for everything. 

I get sick more now that I have a kid, whereas before I was married I rarely ever caught anything going around.

The exact reason I made Sarah get one.  Schools are nothing but a big germ factory.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/09 at 1:22 am

The exact reason I made Sarah get one.  Schools are nothing but a big germ factory.

Especially when it's grubby college kids who scarf down burritos in the office and leave the greasy residuals everywhere, and they never learned to cover their mouths when they cough!

8-P

Written By: Mushroom on 11/07/09 at 1:37 pm

I actually got mine after lunch today.  I came back into the command post, and the medics were lined up with needles ready.

Written By: Davester on 11/07/09 at 10:18 pm

My employer is providing the H1N1 shot beginning on the 11th...

Written By: nally on 01/15/10 at 12:07 am

I got an H1N1 shot today. Apparently more of them were made available in my neck of the woods.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/10 at 12:10 am

I got one when I went for my physical.  They also gave me a tetanus shot so I can go stepping on rusty nails without worrying so much.

Yep, I find as I get older, I can go up in weight, but not height!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 01/15/10 at 1:43 am

The only shots I take involve alcohol.

Written By: philbo on 01/15/10 at 7:42 am

The only shots I take involve alcohol.

What about pot-shots?

ETA - the only shots I take are cheap ones

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/10 at 7:43 am

Got mine yesterday.  My arm still hurts  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/10 at 1:20 pm

Got mine yesterday.  My arm still hurts  :(

I noticed that too.  My arm was mildly sore for about a day.  I also felt flue-like symptoms -- again very mild -- afterward. 

Written By: nally on 01/15/10 at 1:22 pm

When I got mine, it didn't hurt a bit. Just a split second it's in your arm, and then you're done. The person who administered it said it wouldn't hurt either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/10 at 2:12 pm

When I got mine, it didn't hurt a bit. Just a split second it's in your arm, and then you're done. The person who administered it said it wouldn't hurt either.

The person who administered my shot was a like a 20-year-old medical assistant who said it the injection wouldn't hurt, and it didn't.  Looking at her didn't hurt either, man she was hot! 

Sorry, I'm gonna be a dirty old man one of these days, so I gotta practice.
:-\\

Written By: nally on 01/15/10 at 2:19 pm

The person who administered my shot was a like a 20-year-old medical assistant who said it the injection wouldn't hurt, and it didn't.  Looking at her didn't hurt either, man she was hot! 

Sorry, I'm gonna be a dirty old man one of these days, so I gotta practice.
:-\\

LOL ;D

The medical assistant who gave my shot was fairly young too, but looked older than me. (I'm not a good judge of age myself.) However, it was over and done with in just a minute or so. I still had to wait in line, though; but I got there early.

Check for new replies or respond here...