» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama's really bad day.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/09 at 11:43 pm

Now that the Republicians have taken back, Virgina, New Jersey and New York, it maybe a huge blow, from the Democrats, in that they now have clout needed to win back other States, that switched to Democrat.

Rumor has it, that Glenn Beck, is starting a congo line, and his "Bye Bye Obama 2012" party right about, now.

::)

Subject: Re: Obama's really bad day.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/09 at 11:53 pm

It also means, the my prediction, of Obama having a short one term presidency, may unfortunatly be coming true.

So, what Republican candidate will take his place, and become President, in 2012?

???

Written By: sonikuu on 11/05/09 at 5:03 am

Republicans didn't take back New York.  Bloomberg was already mayor of NYC and NY-23 went for the Democrat instead of the Sarah Palin/Glenn Beck conservative candidate.  Normally I would hope that this would teach the Republicans to be more moderate, but they'll probably continue their trend of becoming proto-fascists hiding behind the nationalistic patriotism banner.

In any case, it's way too early to predict these type of things.  Keep in mind that in 1994, Republicans took control of both houses of Congress for the first time since the 1950s.  Combine that with Clinton's failure to initiate healthcare reform and a general perception of inexperience.  It looked like Clinton's days were numbered.  Two years later, he won re-election.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/05/09 at 6:49 am

I little too early to start celebrating.  I live in Massachusetts, the most liberal of states, and we consistently vote in Republican governors, we have a Dem right now, but he is probably on his way out after one term, and will probably be replaced by a Republican.  I don't believe that anyone could suggest that that is an indication of a move to the right at all.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 12:48 pm

Let's see...

Palin and Beck caused a House seat that has been held by a Republican for 140 years to go to a Dem in NY.

In NJ, a very, VERY unpopular democrat lost re-election.  Just because Obama showed up to stump for him is hardly any reason for that to reflect on him.

in VA, a traditionally Republican state that only recently voted in Obama by a small margin, went back to the Republicans. 

Hardly a rousing success for either side or a sign Obama is getting voted out of office.  If anything, the results in NY show the Republicans still very fractured between the nutjob Palin supporters and the moderates (RINO).  Steele has no control over the right-wing pundits like Beck/O'Reilly/Rush and right now they're trying to purge the moderates from their party.  If they succeed in 2010 of veering further right, then I think Obama can probably coast back into office.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/09 at 1:34 pm

I don't think that Election 2009 had anything to do with Obama.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/05/09 at 4:39 pm

Only if Ted Strickland is out of a job in 2010, then Obama can hit the 'panic' button.

IMO-I think having a president that's one party and a Congress of another party is good showmanship (at least during the 90's).

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/05/09 at 5:26 pm

Let's see...

Palin and Beck caused a House seat that has been held by a Republican for 140 years to go to a Dem in NY.

In NJ, a very, VERY unpopular democrat lost re-election.  Just because Obama showed up to stump for him is hardly any reason for that to reflect on him.

in VA, a traditionally Republican state that only recently voted in Obama by a small margin, went back to the Republicans. 

Hardly a rousing success for either side or a sign Obama is getting voted out of office.  If anything, the results in NY show the Republicans still very fractured between the nutjob Palin supporters and the moderates (RINO).  Steele has no control over the right-wing pundits like Beck/O'Reilly/Rush and right now they're trying to purge the moderates from their party.  If they succeed in 2010 of veering further right, then I think Obama can probably coast back into office.

Well, I hope the moderates take back the Republican Party. I think the Palin-Beck-Teabagger crowd are the real "RINOs"--
The Republican Party of the 1950s-1970s is imo the best version of it there ever was. The far right was the Goldwater section, but even then, the far right were true conservatives--Not social conservatives or evangelicals. And the bulk of the GOP was made up of moderates or liberals like Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon, Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, etc--Who would all be liberals next to a Glenn Beck or Palin. If the GOP would purge the neo-cons, evangelicals and teaparty nutjobs I'd register Republican.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 6:14 pm

Well, I hope the moderates take back the Republican Party. I think the Palin-Beck-Teabagger crowd are the real "RINOs"--
The Republican Party of the 1950s-1970s is imo the best version of it there ever was. The far right was the Goldwater section, but even then, the far right were true conservatives--Not social conservatives or evangelicals. And the bulk of the GOP was made up of moderates or liberals like Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon, Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, etc--Who would all be liberals next to a Glenn Beck or Palin. If the GOP would purge the neo-cons, evangelicals and teaparty nutjobs I'd register Republican.

ain't gonna happen man... the Evangelical/anti-abortion fanbase is the new Southern strategy.  without it, they haven't got a party anymore.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/05/09 at 7:25 pm

I don't think that Election 2009 had anything to do with Obama.

Cat

For the most part, I agree.  Virginia's rightward swing is more indicative of national politics, but as Chucky pointed out, Democrats losing that state isn't out of the ordinary.

It is rather amusing to see Teabaggers get such enjoyment out of so little though....

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 7:34 pm

For the most part, I agree.  Virginia's rightward swing is more indicative of national politics, but as Chucky pointed out, Democrats losing that state isn't out of the ordinary.

It is rather amusing to see Teabaggers get such enjoyment out of so little though....

well they do have little to look forward to this year.  if it keeps them from going off the dead end and doing something extreme it's worth listening to their silly theories.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/09 at 1:16 am

And they call ME crazy!

This is an odd-number off-year election.  Some of those precincts had about 5% turn-out!

Anyway, the Democrats lost in Virginia and New Jersey.  Sean Hannity says:  This is really bad for Obama.

If the Democrats WON in Virgina and New Jersey, Sean Hannity would say:  This is really bad for Obama.

That ALL those guys say ALL day long is how bad this and that is for Obama no matter what it is.  Just nail the sign in their thick drywall brains:  Obama sucks, vote Republican.  They did that with Clinton for eight years.  I'm not expecting any different now.

And, as you can see with Obama's achievements on healthcare, the REAL power never leaves the hands of the corporations no matter WHO gets elected.  F**K.  Clinton did more for corporate America than Ronald Reagan.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/06/09 at 9:21 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/opinion/05teixeira.html?_r=1

That will be a problem for those in the party seeking to emulate the electoral strategies of Bob McDonnell in Virginia and Chris Christie in New Jersey. Those men sought to cover up the conservatism of their views in many areas. That was relatively easy to do in governors’ races in an off-year election. It will be harder for candidates to do in national elections in 2010 and especially 2012.

Check for new replies or respond here...