» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ft. Hood Shot Up; Seven People Killed

Written By: Jessica on 11/05/09 at 4:12 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.shootings/index.html

WTF?

Subject: Re: Ft. Hood Shot Up; Seven People Killed

Written By: Tia on 11/05/09 at 4:26 pm

at another board i'm on there are some folks who are local to ft. hood who have a little inside info. and also some partisan rancor.

http://www.politicalforum.com/latest-world-news/100283-nbc-7-dead-12-injured-fort-hood-shooting.html

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 4:52 pm

Cell phones are flooded.
I can't get in touch with any of my friends.
I managed to get one call through - and she wasn't on post at the time so that's a plus.

I am sitting here freaking out!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/09 at 4:54 pm

Cell phones are flooded.
I managed to get one call through - and she wasn't on post at the time so that's a plus.

The minute I heard about this I thought about you. Please know my thoughts are with you and with your friends. Please keep us updated when you know something.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/05/09 at 4:55 pm

Cell phones are flooded.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 5:00 pm

The minute I heard about this I thought about you. Please know my thoughts are with you and with your friends. Please keep us updated when you know something.

Cat

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

Thank you Ladies.
I will let you know anything I find out. ;-|

Written By: Henk on 11/05/09 at 5:19 pm

Cat

Same here...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.shootings/index.html

WTF?

...and that too. What is wrong with people?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 6:17 pm

creepy for me... I've been working with a group developing disaster planning training materials for the army, and a fake Ft. Hood scenario was one of the lessons being included.  I imagine we'll be changing that one up a bit.

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 7:04 pm

Update:
I have heard from several friends, and they are all good.
A gentleman that I bowled with is Civilian Police Officer - and he is fine!
Heard from another lady who works for Readiness as a Civilian contractor - she was at a different building.

Just waiting now on one more call.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/09 at 7:20 pm

The perp has been identified as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan.  This incident is being compared to a similar incident done by Sgt. Hasan Akbar in 2003.  Akbar has been sentenced to death for the 2003 incident.  Maj. Hasan was sintenced on the spot today and is dead; at least we will not have to hear how he did it all for the glory of Allah.

My condolences to the victims and their families.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 7:23 pm

Cat

same goes for me Tam!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/05/09 at 8:06 pm

Update:
Heard from another lady who works for Readiness as a Civilian contractor - she was at a different building.

Let's hope you get that call.  I'm glad your friends are ok.  I have a friend who's brother is stationed there and she hasn't heard anything yet.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/05/09 at 9:18 pm

Cell phones are flooded.

Just heard/read this and I immediately thought of you!  Hope all of your friends are well!  Prayers to you and yours!

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 9:19 pm

Hasan is not dead. He is wounded and in custody.

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 9:19 pm

Just heard/read this and I immediately thought of you!  Hope all of your friends are well!  Prayers to you and yours!

Thanks sami.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 9:48 pm

The perp has been identified as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan.  This incident is being compared to a similar incident done by Sgt. Hasan Akbar in 2003.  Akbar has been sentenced to death for the 2003 incident.  Maj. Hasan was sintenced on the spot today and is dead; at least we will not have to hear how he did it all for the glory of Allah.

ah yes... it must have been because of his religion and not because he stressed out or some other reason because his name is Hasan.

Written By: ninny on 11/05/09 at 10:13 pm

Cat

Update:

Glad to hear all your friends are fine, my condolences to all the victims and their families.

Written By: Tam on 11/05/09 at 10:15 pm

I have finally heard from everyone!
All are well and accounted for! 8) <- cool shades

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/05/09 at 10:20 pm

ah yes... it must have been because of his religion and not because he stressed out or some other reason because his name is Hasan.

Interestingly, we just might find out.

Of course, if we be^H^Hinterrogate this pric^Hsoner long enough, he'll tell us he started the godamn Chicago fire, now that don't necessarily make it f*lip*ing so.

(Hey, it was either a Reservoir Dogs quote or a comment about VA Tech, and I felt like taking the high road.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/09 at 10:53 pm

it is statistically very unlikely that religion was not involved.  Two fraggings... Both by Hasans... Exceedingly unlikely that he was not "making a statement".

I just read that the perp is not dead after all. So we'll see what he claims was his motivation. I got $100 that he will claim he did it to honor the great warrior.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 11:35 pm

it is statistically very unlikely that religion was not involved.  Two fraggings... Both by Hasans... Exceedingly unlikely that he was not "making a statement".

I just read that the perp is not dead after all. So we'll see what he claims was his motivation. I got $100 that he will claim he did it to honor the great warrior.

by that logic....

If it was two guys named Smith I guess it would then be to honor the founder of the Mormon church.

If they both had the last name Hubbard, it might have been to honor the great Xenu.

If they both had the last name Ragu, it might have been to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or Laverne & Shirley).

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/09 at 11:45 pm

(Hey, it was either a Reservoir Dogs quote or a comment about VA Tech, and I felt like taking the high road.)

speaking of VA Tech.... remember when the neocons cried that if the students were allowed to have guns the shooter wouldn't have caused as many deaths?  Are we to believe there was a lack of guns on an Army base and that's why the police were needed to capture him?

Written By: Jessica on 11/06/09 at 12:05 am

Don't Jump To Conclusions, Senator Says

Sound advice.

Written By: Tam on 11/06/09 at 12:20 am

Don't Jump To Conclusions, Senator Says

Sound advice.

Excellent link Jess! 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/09 at 12:25 am

We gotta stop viewing murder and war as a solution to the world's problems.  In Ft. Hood or in Baghdad, what goes around comes around.

Written By: Tam on 11/06/09 at 12:34 am

Ok, I am watching Larry King live right now with Wolf Blitzer...
There is the psychiatrist on there who said that MAJ. Nidal didn't have the coping skills required to get ready for his deployment, and that he should have reached out and asked for help. Well, let me tell you what I know about Soldiers who reach out for help: they get shunned and told to suck it up, drive on etc.
I am not by any means condoning this - you all should know my view already - but I just don't like when people make statements without knowing how the Military sometimes works.

Written By: Tam on 11/06/09 at 12:35 am

Haha! She just said "suck it up and drive on"
Am I good or what!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/06/09 at 1:38 am

Aside from Tam, I had another friend whose husband was there 8 years before he retired a year or two ago.  She doesn't mention knowing any of the people affected personally (other then generally affected, of course).  So that is good too.  My thoughts are with everyone there or who had been there. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/06/09 at 9:01 am

by that logic....

If it was two guys named Smith I guess it would then be to honor the founder of the Mormon church.

If they both had the last name Hubbard, it might have been to honor the great Xenu.

If they both had the last name Ragu, it might have been to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or Laverne & Shirley).

News outlets are now reporting that this fine gentleman shouted "Allah Akbar" as he launched his attack against our armed forces. As I recall a similar outcry was done in the 2003 fragging incident.

Also turns out that the Feds were just starting an investigation of this guy (before the shooting) due to what appeared to be disturbing Internet posts. It's too bad that they did not have enuf I fo on this guy before, so his sidearms could have been confiscated.

So... If aguy named Young in Salt Lake City runs into a brothel shouting "John Smith forever" and starts blasting away, yeah, i'll rather suspect he's a Mormon and his attack was "faith based". If Saul Rubenstein runs I to a mosque an sprays the place with bullets and then says "shalom", I'll suspect that his Judaism got out of hand. If Pat O'Malley shoots up an abortion clinic while reciting the Hail Mary, I'll think his Catholicism got out of hand.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/06/09 at 9:07 am

by that logic....

Do you go to uncyclopedia?

Back on the topic-I heard Obama's speech and I asked "WWGWBD"?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/06/09 at 9:31 am

News outlets are now reporting that this fine gentleman shouted "Allah Akbar" as he launched his attack against our armed forces. As I recall a similar outcry was done in the 2003 fragging incident.

Also turns out that the Feds were just starting an investigation of this guy (before the shooting) due to what appeared to be disturbing Internet posts. It's too bad that they did not have enuf I fo on this guy before, so his sidearms could have been confiscated.

So... If aguy named Young in Salt Lake City runs into a brothel shouting "John Smith forever" and starts blasting away, yeah, i'll rather suspect he's a Mormon and his attack was "faith based". If Saul Rubenstein runs I to a mosque an sprays the place with bullets and then says "shalom", I'll suspect that his Judaism got out of hand. If Pat O'Malley shoots up an abortion clinic while reciting the Hail Mary, I'll think his Catholicism got out of hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takbir

it's said during prayers... it's not a "battle call".  If he had said "help me God" it would have been pretty much the same thing.  yesh, talk about looking to blame religion where it's still pretty clear he didn't want to get shipped out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_re_us/us_fort_hood_shooting

An imam from a mosque Hasan regularly attended said Hasan, a lifelong Muslim, was a committed soldier, gave no sign of extremist beliefs and regularly wore his uniform at prayers.

yeah... totally sounds like a terrorist.  ::)

...Hasan had hoped Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

I'm honestly surprised we don't hear this more often after this many years of war.  I know the military is very professional compared to 50 years ago, but you know some people still aren't going to want to ship out.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/09 at 10:43 am

With all the reports I have heard it appears that the army can be seriously faulted for what went on here.  The guy has been on a watch list for months, and it isn't about religion, it is about a guy with serious issues, walking on the edge, being pushed over.

Written By: Jessica on 11/06/09 at 11:37 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takbir

it's said during prayers... it's not a "battle call".  If he had said "help me God" it would have been pretty much the same thing.  yesh, talk about looking to blame religion where it's still pretty clear he didn't want to get shipped out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_re_us/us_fort_hood_shooting

An imam from a mosque Hasan regularly attended said Hasan, a lifelong Muslim, was a committed soldier, gave no sign of extremist beliefs and regularly wore his uniform at prayers.

yeah... totally sounds like a terrorist.  ::)

...Hasan had hoped Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

I'm honestly surprised we don't hear this more often after this many years of war.  I know the military is very professional compared to 50 years ago, but you know some people still aren't going to want to ship out.

Also, if it were a terrorist act, why wait so long to do it?  Doesn't it take years and years to become a Major in the Army?  Why would he waste his time joining the military, going through tons of schooling and shyt to become a psychiatrist and then decide that the time was ripe to murder?

That's what has been bugging me.  After his name was released, everyone is so quick to say, "Oh look!  He's Muslim, he has a Muslim name!  He must be a terrorist!", yet no one can tell me why a terrorist would wait a damned long time, serving a country he hates, to pull off something like this.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/09 at 12:29 pm

My thoughts and prayers go toward the families of those, who passed at th Fort Hood, or where injured

I also that Glenn Beck, shows some restraint on this subject matter, and blame on the whole thing, on Obama.

But unfortunatly, he will.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/06/09 at 3:46 pm

News outlets are now reporting that this fine gentleman shouted "Allah Akbar" as he launched his attack against our armed forces.

Which news outlets?

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/09 at 4:08 pm

With all the reports I have heard it appears that the army can be seriously faulted for what went on here.  The guy has been on a watch list for months, and it isn't about religion, it is about a guy with serious issues, walking on the edge, being pushed over.

Some people just . . . lose it.  He lost it.  If he was a terrorist how the hell did he become major?  Are we giving brass to terrorist now?  If so the U.S. and Homeland Security are too blame.  Yeah, this guy was a ticking time bomb.

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/09 at 4:19 pm

Some people just . . . lose it.  He lost it.  If he was a terrorist how the hell did he become major?  Are we giving brass to terrorist now?  If so the U.S. and Homeland Security are too blame.  Yeah, this guy was a ticking time bomb.

see.... this is why, on 9/11 I was praying.... "Please be white! Please be white!!!!"  because I knew these kind of assumptions would be made. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/09 at 5:01 pm

Which news outlets?

Ant

Guess.

By the way, if people start killing Muslims, on mass, because of this, or attacking them, for no darn reason, at all, the blood will be on Fox News' hands.

People are now, mad and angry enough, to kill other people, just to prove a point. I hope that Fox News, is darn happy.

I'm not.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/09 at 5:28 pm

He wasn't a terrorist, he was nuts.  The army is to blame because he has been exhibiting the kind of behaviour for which he was supposed to be treating other people.  He was being taunted for his ethnicity, and was trying to get released from the army because of his serious reservations about what was going on in Iraq/Afghanistan.  So the army, in their infinite wisdom, decide to send him to Afghanistan. 

Subject: Another shooting in the "Hood"

Written By: Macphisto on 11/06/09 at 8:26 pm

As a side note, I have a friend who trained at Ft. Hood and will be deployed to Afghanistan shortly.  I'm just glad that he wasn't still at the base when this happened.

RIP to those we lost. 

Written By: Dagwood on 11/06/09 at 10:17 pm

Which news outlets?

Ant

It was on the news here.  They prefaced it with "it hasn't been proven".  They interviewed the parents of a girl who was in the room when it happened.  The guy next to her was killed and she dropped and played dead in order to survive.  She said that is what he shouted before he opened fire.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/06/09 at 10:47 pm

1) We don't know whether he was motivated by stress, or whether he was motivated by religious fanatacism.

2) We'll probably find out after the interrogations, and if one is conducted, during the trial.

3) The catch-22 of it is that if the interrogations involve torture, we'll never know for sure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/09 at 12:15 am

Thirteen is a slow night in Baghdad.  Well...maybe it's time to renounce violence and try loving one another.  I know, I know, that's a lot of hippie pablum like John Lennon, and Bob Marley, and Dr. Martin Luther King, and Gandhi...Jesus...you know, all them peaceniks...but look, we don't seem to think much about it when it happens seven thousand miles over two seas and two continents.  When it happens at home, it's pretty scary stuff...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 11/07/09 at 2:06 pm

He wasn't a terrorist, he was nuts.  The army is to blame because he has been exhibiting the kind of behaviour for which he was supposed to be treating other people.  He was being taunted for his ethnicity, and was trying to get released from the army because of his serious reservations about what was going on in Iraq/Afghanistan.  So the army, in their infinite wisdom, decide to send him to Afghanistan.  

All of the statements I am reading about, this guy is a walking contradiction.

Major Hassan was a career Soldier.  Originally enlisting in 1988, he served for 8 years as an Enlisted man before getting his comission.  Like me, he is serving during his second "Middle East War".  He more then knew what he was doing, and had several chances to get out prior to this.  In fact, he graduated Medical School in 2001, and had already completed his 6 year commitment of service to repay his medical education.

No, he served because he wanted the money.  He simply had to put in a few more years, and he could retire with the pay of a Major (about $50k a year).

And as a professional Soldier, I find it impossible to believe that he was being harassed.  In the Army today, "EO" is everywhere.  I can't imagine calling a Private or Sergeant, let alone a Major a "Camel Jockey", "Beaner", "Spade", or any other such term.  That is a guaranteed way to either find yourself as a Private facing a Bad Conduct Discharge, or a senior NCO or Officer being released without retirement benefits for the "Good of the Service" and "Conduct Unbecoming".  Even a single complaint against somebody with the IG is almost a guaranteed career ender for the person accused of such activity.

So sorry, I don't believe the harasment.  And that has been all the talk in my unit for 2 days now.  Nobody I have talked to, from Private to Sergeant First Class, from 2nd Lieutenant to Major can believe his claims of "harassment".  All he would have had to do is one call to the IG, and they would have been all over the piece of crap that did that like stink on feeces.

While I am not sure if he is a Terrorist, I have no doubt that this was a "Terrorist Action".  He had been under investigation for 6 months, was apparently making radical statements on the Internet from a neighbors computer, and wanted to make a martyr of himself.

And it is interesting how this is being reported:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=110544

"War Weary", no mention that he is a Muslim.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2009/11/20091173493878909.html

Where it is the fault of our love of guns.

::)

Oh, and the "vandalism" on his car?  It happened off-post at his house.  His neighbor was arrested.  So apparently no military connection at all there.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/07/09 at 2:56 pm

He wasn't a terrorist, he was nuts.  The army is to blame because he has been exhibiting the kind of behaviour for which he was supposed to be treating other people.  He was being taunted for his ethnicity, and was trying to get released from the army because of his serious reservations about what was going on in Iraq/Afghanistan.  So the army, in their infinite wisdom, decide to send him to Afghanistan. 

Yep, which chips away at some news outlets saying he's a terrorist. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/09 at 11:36 pm

I'm glad he survived.  As an agnostic, I'm not sure about justice in the hereafter, but Hasan will have to pay the piper for what he has wrought in this life.  I don't favor the death penalty, but there it is.

Something I've been thinking since some folks seem suspicious his religion had something to do with his killing spree.

Worst case scenario:

Hasan did it for Allah Akbar as a jihad against the Great Satan America.

What do we do now?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/08/09 at 12:11 pm

Something I've been thinking since some folks seem suspicious his religion had something to do with his killing spree.

If Hasan had simply gotten into a bar fight and somebody got killed, generally speaking I think people simply would have thought that he did it not because he was Muslim, but because he was drunk.

But in this case, we have a guy who was spewing anti-American and "woe is me as a Muslim" rhetoric in inappropriate forums, and then went and shot up a US Military base while shouting "Allah Akhbar".  So yes, many of us believe that HIS religion had something to do with this.

The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people.  But there is a global, organized, well-educated, and well-funded global Islamic conspiracy that is followed by a minority of Muslims, and which recruits in mosques.  And they do their mayhem in the name of Islam, whether their "brand" of Islam is the majority, or "official Islam", or not.

Hasan's family, from all accounts that I have seen so far, seems to be a peaceful family and they have repudiated his actions.  But somewhere along the line, Hasan became influenced by the more radical elements who promoted and justified suicide bombings and all the other stuff.  He was preaching this rhetoric in an environmental science class, amongst other forums from what I have read in the news accounts.

I saw an interview on CNN where some guy claimed that what Hasan did was not associated with his religion, because, after all, his actions were "that of a mentally ill man".  The CNN host (I forget her name) then asked the guest "What about Bin Laden and the rest of those guys, are you saying that they are mentally ill too?".  The guest tried to say "yes" but of course he was not convincing.

There IS INDEED a Muslim problem.  It involves a violent minority of Muslims.  Their leaders by and large are NOT insane.  They recruit in mosques across the globe.  They are well funded and dangerous.

To say that the worldwide mayhem (including Hasan's massacre) has nothing to do with his religion is to say that the Inquisition had nothing to do with the Catholic Church way back when, or that the polygamy problem in the USA has nothing to do with Mormonism.  The perpetrators of all of these dastardly deeds did them in the name of their religion (twisted theology or not) and they were "true believers" in their brand of their religions.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/09 at 12:21 pm

So sorry, I don't believe the harasment.  And that has been all the talk in my unit for 2 days now.  Nobody I have talked to, from Private to Sergeant First Class, from 2nd Lieutenant to Major can believe his claims of "harassment".  All he would have had to do is one call to the IG, and they would have been all over the piece of crap that did that like stink on feeces.
If I’m not mistaken, most of the harassment claims have to do with encounters with civilians.
That being said, I agree that the attempt to dodge any connection with him being Muslim by the press is rather sad...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/09 at 1:43 am

If Hasan had simply gotten into a bar fight and somebody got killed, generally speaking I think people simply would have thought that he did it not because he was Muslim, but because he was drunk.

But in this case, we have a guy who was spewing anti-American and "woe is me as a Muslim" rhetoric in inappropriate forums, and then went and shot up a US Military base while shouting "Allah Akhbar".  So yes, many of us believe that HIS religion had something to do with this.

The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people.  But there is a global, organized, well-educated, and well-funded global Islamic conspiracy that is followed by a minority of Muslims, and which recruits in mosques.  And they do their mayhem in the name of Islam, whether their "brand" of Islam is the majority, or "official Islam", or not.

Hasan's family, from all accounts that I have seen so far, seems to be a peaceful family and they have repudiated his actions.  But somewhere along the line, Hasan became influenced by the more radical elements who promoted and justified suicide bombings and all the other stuff.  He was preaching this rhetoric in an environmental science class, amongst other forums from what I have read in the news accounts.

I saw an interview on CNN where some guy claimed that what Hasan did was not associated with his religion, because, after all, his actions were "that of a mentally ill man".  The CNN host (I forget her name) then asked the guest "What about Bin Laden and the rest of those guys, are you saying that they are mentally ill too?".  The guest tried to say "yes" but of course he was not convincing.

There IS INDEED a Muslim problem.  It involves a violent minority of Muslims.  Their leaders by and large are NOT insane.  They recruit in mosques across the globe.  They are well funded and dangerous.

To say that the worldwide mayhem (including Hasan's massacre) has nothing to do with his religion is to say that the Inquisition had nothing to do with the Catholic Church way back when, or that the polygamy problem in the USA has nothing to do with Mormonism.  The perpetrators of all of these dastardly deeds did them in the name of their religion (twisted theology or not) and they were "true believers" in their brand of their religions.

That's my concern.  This violent minority of Muslims is a perfect permanent enemy.  They're not a sovereign nation you can beat in a war, like we did the Germans and the Japanese.  Permanent enemy means permanent militarism, and that means the same crap we've seen going on since 9/11 can go on forever. 

If we kill five Muslim extremists, their "martyrdom" becomes fodder for recruiting 500 more Muslim extremists.

It would be nice, for lack of a better word, if we could solve the problem with the business end of a gun, but it doesn't look like we can.  We're gonna hafta figger out something different, and that something might not involve stacks of blank checks for defense contractors....

::)

Written By: philbo on 11/09/09 at 11:24 am

I'm not convinced their leaders are particularly religious, either: it's personal and political with a veneer of religion thrown in to dupe the unwary.  If people like Osama really were convinced that martyrdom was a good thing, they'd have done it themselves.

The end game will not come until mainstream Islam kicks out these people: makes it known that they're not simply wrong, they're un-Islamic past the point of heresy. At the moment, it seems a "typical" peaceful Muslim is more likely to feel kinship with a Muslim suicide bomber than their countrymen who are getting blown up, at least until the point of detonation (after which it's a bit late).

The sort of thing I mean is that these "radicalizing" imams who preach self-immolation as a route to paradise aren't *only* listened to by people who go on to become suicide bombers - there have got to be others who decide that this sort of exit route is a little bit too extreme.  On occasion, these people do go to the police (ISTR reading that was where they got their forewarning of one potential attack), yet there must be lots who think "he's wrong, so I'll go to a different imam", rather than "he's wrong and if he carries on spouting hateful garbage, it's going to be bad for me and the rest of Islam".  If you can hit a critical mass of the second type of thinker.. well, humanity might just survive without an all-out religious war.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/09 at 11:34 am

I'm not convinced their leaders are particularly religious, either: it's personal and political with a veneer of religion thrown in to dupe the unwary.  If people like Osama really were convinced that martyrdom was a good thing, they'd have done it themselves.

Ditto.  I equate them to the KKK. They called themselves Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, and who were members did think that they were doing the work of the lord, way too many still do

Subject: Looks like Lyric was right

Written By: Macphisto on 11/09/09 at 4:53 pm

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=36899

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/fort-hood-suspect-said-187797.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fort-hood-shooter-contact-al-qaeda-terrorists-officials/story?id=9030873

So it looks like Islam really did a play a part here.  Granted, it is a fanatical interpretation of Islam.

Written By: Jessica on 11/09/09 at 5:43 pm

Oh, and the "vandalism" on his car?  It happened off-post at his house.  His neighbor was arrested.  So apparently no military connection at all there.

O RLY?

According to a Killeen police report in August, an Army employee was charged with scratching Hasan's car, causing $1,000 in damage. Apartment manager John Thompson said the man charged was a soldier back from Iraq, who objected to Hasan's faith and ripped a bumper sticker off the major's car that said: "Allah is Love."

From one of Macphisto's links.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/10/09 at 7:14 pm

As more of this story is coming out, it seems that Hasan's superiors simply pussy-footed around the issue of his increasing diatribes against the military and the United States.

My guess is that these officers have had so much political-correct stuff shoved up their exhaust pipes, they were afraid to do anything to this guy for fear of their careers being stunted.

His peers clearly saw him for what he was and reported him up the chain of command.  Apparently the military's medical school was also afraid to deal with his vitriol, because they granted him a degree, even though he regularly made presentations about his Muslim deal rather than the subject matter at hand.

This whole incident warrants a review of what the heck is going on in the military as regards this sort of behavior.  You can bet your bottom dollar that there are other malcontents like this guy in the services; I hope that this wake up call... wakes up the appropriate officers so the bad apples get thrown out.  Or incarcerated, which would be better.

Pussyfooting around terrorists like this guy is the ultimate way to disrespect the honorable soldiers (and this includes the many Muslim soldiers who are loyal to the USA).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/09 at 9:56 pm

So should we purge Muslims from the U.S. military, as the guy from the American Family Foundation suggested?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/10/09 at 10:11 pm

So should we purge Muslims from the U.S. military, as the guy from the American Family Foundation suggested?

No, but they need to investigate people a hell of a lot better when there are complaints such as those against him. 

Written By: philbo on 11/11/09 at 3:58 am

As more of this story is coming out, it seems that Hasan's superiors simply pussy-footed around the issue of his increasing diatribes against the military and the United States.

My guess is that these officers have had so much political-correct stuff shoved up their exhaust pipes, they were afraid to do anything to this guy for fear of their careers being stunted.

His peers clearly saw him for what he was and reported him up the chain of command.  Apparently the military's medical school was also afraid to deal with his vitriol, because they granted him a degree, even though he regularly made presentations about his Muslim deal rather than the subject matter at hand.

This whole incident warrants a review of what the heck is going on in the military as regards this sort of behavior.  You can bet your bottom dollar that there are other malcontents like this guy in the services; I hope that this wake up call... wakes up the appropriate officers so the bad apples get thrown out.  Or incarcerated, which would be better.

Pussyfooting around terrorists like this guy is the ultimate way to disrespect the honorable soldiers (and this includes the many Muslim soldiers who are loyal to the USA).

Not often I agree 100% with you...  I did find some of the reports I read hard to credit, and if he did say some of the things he's reported as saying it's an unbelievable failure up the chain of command not to have acted upon them.

Are they generally known as AFF-holes?  If not, they should be ;)

But it's people who make statements like that who make more tolerant people (like me) more tolerant of extremism on the other side - an innate feeling that one ought to be balanced.  If you see what I mean.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/11/09 at 10:48 am

Absolutely not.  We have many patriotic and loyal Muslims in the Armed Forces.

But when you have some wanker in the services who continues to preach anti-american rhetoric then he shoudl be run out of the service instead of people tippy toeing around because they do not want to offend the Islamic world.

Mind you, if a soldier who is Jewish or Catholic or even a member of the Holy Temple of Bubble Wrap were spewing the same cr@p that Hasan was, they too should be run out of town.

My point in all of this is that by overlooking a malevolent Muslim out of political correctness, the military is disrespecting the many loyal Muslims (and for that matter all loyal troops, period).

Written By: philbo on 11/11/09 at 11:00 am

a member of the Holy Temple of Bubble Wrap

:D

A well-packaged religion that's big on protecting the fragile?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/09 at 12:40 pm

You will not be friendly.  You will be aloof.  Suspicious of everyone...suspicious; watchful....

--CV

8)

Written By: philbo on 11/11/09 at 12:46 pm

You will be aloof.

The US army needs loofs

You will be alert.

..we've got enough loofs already

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/09 at 12:48 pm

The US army needs loofs

You will be alert.

..we've got enough loofs already

Don't mind me, I just have my old Cabaret Voltaire records out this week....

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/11/09 at 7:15 pm

And here it is...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599193733400

When political correctness infects the military services, lives are put at risk.  >:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/09 at 1:04 am

All of the statements I am reading about, this guy is a walking contradiction.

People change.  In 1999, I thought Bush II was a blueblood/corporatist like his Dad, and was only pretending to be a religious fundamentalist to get their votes.  Today I believe the opposite.

I can't imagine calling a Private or Sergeant, let alone a Major a "Camel Jockey", "Beaner", "Spade", or any other such term.

That I can agree with.  Even as a civilian, I can't see any non-Officer getting away with mouthing off to a Major.

The harassment allegations seem to be something alleged by people grasping at straws for any explanation other than lone-wolf terrorism.  I'd wager the perp felt harassed, and took every note of his fellow Soldiers griping about (insert various terms for the enemy here) as they prepared for a return to Iraq, or as they came back from Iraq.

I'll bet you that a Muslim, slowly being radicalized, but without direct support, would come to see every snarky one-liner about "muzzies", "hajjis", etc - as a personal attack. 

I've seen radical Republicans and Democrats go nuts when people - accidentally or intentionally - trip on little shibboleths like that.  ("That's copied out of a Democrat press release!"  "Dude, I knew you're a Republican!  You said 'Democrat' and not 'Democrat*IC*"!)  ("Hey, what if we laid off the gays for a bit?  It's costing us the youth vote, the Boomers are split, and the Silents, who supported us on that issue, are dying off."  "Dude, you're a RINO, not a real conservative!")

While I am not sure if he is a Terrorist, I have no doubt that this was a "Terrorist Action".  He had been under investigation for 6 months, was apparently making radical statements on the Internet from a neighbors computer, and wanted to make a martyr of himself.

If what's been reported is even half-accurate, agreed 100%.

The guy who "went nuts" at the El-Al air counter on the anniversary of 9/11.  The kid with parental issues who flew his Cessna into a building.  The DC snipers (hey, there's only one left now). 

The funny thing is that it's the people who agree that there's such a thing as a "hate crime" who are the among the most vehement deniers that this is "terrorism".

A guy in a white sheet burning a predominantly-black church to the ground.  A guy dragging a "fag" behind a pickup truck and leaving him for dead.  A guy dressing in Muslim garb, while willing to heal returning Soldiers, but drawing the line at having to fight Muslims in a predominantly-Muslim country, going postal on civilians and Soldiers alike.

Same goddamn thing.

Actually, it's not quite the same goddamn thing.  I'm willing to cut this bastard some slack and concede that if you think you're at war with the US, a US military base is a legitimate military target.  Making war against the United States wasn't terrorism, it's treason.

No, but they need to investigate people a hell of a lot better when there are complaints such as those against him. 

The depressing thing is that the automated systems that'll probably flag everyone reading this thread (and everyone reading every thread about this farkwit) will put us on watchlists.  But for fear of compromising sources and methods, they couldn't tell anyone in the Army about this pigfarker until after the fact.  After all, No Such Agency would ever conduct surveillance against US nationals. 

The more things have changed since 9/11, the more they've stayed the same.  My preference is for freedom, but I wouldn't mind living in a surveillance state if it could actually work insofar as disappearing the people who need to be disappeared.  But it never does.  Surveillance states from the USSR, to East Germany, to modern-day China, to post-9/11 America, all wind up choking on the volumes of data they collect.  Joe Sixpack gets all the downside of the surveillance state (the chilling effect that requires that he moderate his puiblic speech for fear of wind up on The List), and none of the promised benefits (namely the "security" its citizens were promised).

9/11 changed everything?  9/11 changed nothing.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/epic-fail-career-fair-fail.jpg

(Hey, I'm not gonna end this post on a total downer note.)

Check for new replies or respond here...