» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Christmas has been cancelled...

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/09 at 4:34 pm

In a Connecticut School, Erik Brown decides NOT to celebrate Christmas because it 'offends' other cultures.

What is the guy a Jehovas Witness?

Subject: Re: Christmas has been cancelled...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/09 at 4:37 pm

Culturally sensitive until Christmas Eve.  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/09 at 4:40 pm

Culturally sensitive until Christmas Eve.  ;D

More like Ebeneezer Scrooge. I won't be surprised that he'd keep the school open on Christmas!

Written By: philbo on 12/15/09 at 6:22 pm

I wonder if he's met anyone from another culture who's offended?

Written By: Jessica on 12/15/09 at 6:23 pm

An article link or something would be fantastic.

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/09 at 6:39 pm

I'm thinking he started a similar thread last year about the use of the more PC Happy Holidays...

we get it you want everyone to think Christmas is the most important December Holiday...

screw Hanukkah, Winter Solstice and Kwanzaa 

Written By: Red Ant on 12/15/09 at 7:31 pm

An article link or something would be fantastic.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579506,00.html

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 12/15/09 at 7:47 pm

Ant

So this has been happening for five years and it's barely getting noticed?  Stupid.

And:

Brown told the paper that songs celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa will be sung during Walsh's "Winter Celebration" on Dec. 21, and as in previous years, presents will be given to students.

So why is it a BFD now?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/15/09 at 7:59 pm

They should celebrate, the non denominational holiday, Festivus, the holiday that's for the rest of us, instead!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFLqMyo0fo&feature=related

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/09 at 8:07 pm

So, to everyone here, Merry Xmass,. Happy Hanukkah, Glorious Kwansa.  F'n enjoy the F'n holdays.  Baa, humbug.

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/09 at 8:35 pm

So, to everyone here, Merry Xmass,. Happy Hanukkah, Glorious Kwansa.  F'n enjoy the F'n holdays.  Baa, humbug.

;D 

HEY! You forgot Winter Solstice and I included it for one specific person!!!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/09 at 8:54 pm

Who the hell is Erik Brown?
???

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/09 at 8:55 pm

;D 

HEY! You forgot Winter Solstice and I included it for one specific person!!!  ;)

Well, we may do that - in private - in the -- well, you get the idea.

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/09 at 10:27 pm

Well, we may do that - in private - in the -- well, you get the idea.

;D

there's one party I don't need to be invited to.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 3:48 am

;D 

Winter solipsist.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 10:28 am

;D

there's one party I don't need to be invited to.  ;)

The party is one thing-that you can be invited to. It is the ritual that (and I will say it even if Carlos won't) we do in the nude. When it is just the two of us, why not? And no, it is not anything sexual-just natural.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 12/16/09 at 11:21 am

Now this is something I can sort of get behind and see the idea for:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091215/us_time/08599194759000

Some of the better ideas from the article:

But to a growing group of Christians, this focus on the commercial aspect of Christmas is itself the greatest threat to one of Christianity's holiest days. "It's the shopping, the going into debt, the worrying that if I don't spend enough money, someone will think I don't love them," says Portland pastor Rick McKinley. "Christians get all bent out of shape over the fact that someone didn't say 'Merry Christmas' when I walked into the store. But why are we expecting the store to tell our story? That's just ridiculous."

In many ways, the Advent Conspiracy movement has appropriated some of the traditional arguments of the conservative Christians who see themselves as defenders of Christmas. A popular rallying cry of the foot soldiers in the war on Christmas is, "Jesus is the reason for the season." Often, however, it seems that being able to score a half-price Nintendo DSi and a "Merry Christmas" from the checkout clerk is the real prize. The Religious Right has spent decades casting secular culture as the enemy. And yet instead of critiquing the values of the consumer marketplace, many conservative Christians have embraced it as the battleground they seek to reclaim.

A movement like the Advent Conspiracy is countercultural on two fronts - not just fighting the secular idea that Christmas is a month-long shopping and decorating ritual, but the powerful conservative notion that the holiday requires acknowledgement from the nation's retailers to be truly meaningful. It's not easy, says one youth pastor whose church is part of the Advent Conspiracy. "When you start jacking with people's idea of what Christmas is and you start to go against this $450 billion machine of materialism and consumerism, it really messes with people," he explains. "It takes a lot of patience to say there's a different way - Christmas doesn't have to be like this."

Written By: philbo on 12/16/09 at 12:38 pm

The perfect Christmas song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZR3lJobjw

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 12:52 pm

The perfect Christmas song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZR3lJobjw

I LOVE Tom Lehrer. (I have both of his albums.)

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/16/09 at 1:25 pm

Ant

Thank you...sorry for the rush, I never had the chance to post something.... :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 11:59 pm

The party is one thing-that you can be invited to. It is the ritual that (and I will say it even if Carlos won't) we do in the nude. When it is just the two of us, why not? And no, it is not anything sexual-just natural.

Cat

Brrrr...turn the heat up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/09 at 11:20 am

Erik Brown is the grinch who stole Christmas (and the holidays!)

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 12:43 pm

Mr. Brown says he has to do things that include every child, but, ironically, what he is doing doesn't really include any child, not in any meaningful way. 

When I was at the Waldorf elementary, we did the whole Christmas thing with the advent calendar, carols, and candle-lighting.  Josh Meltzer, the only Jewish kid in the class, joined in and never felt excluded.  We also learned about Hanukkah and sang Hanukkah songs too.  Of course, part of the Waldorf mission is an emphasis on the ecumenical and multicultural. 

A lot of these school administrators getting overwrought about non-Christian kids feeling excluded around Christian holidays just end up being killjoys -- as do the Christian right administrators who quash Halloween because it's "pagan."  Just mellow out everybody.

FOX for its part has ginned up this phony war on Christmas to force another split between folks.  Divided we fall, and the rich and powerful want us to fall so they can stand on us.  And all FOX is is a mouthpiece for the rich.  Ergo, the vast minority of schools and businesses suppressing Christmas activities get this unwarranted hysterical stockading. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/09 at 3:40 pm

Merry Christmas
Merry Xmas
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Quanza
Merry Hanukkah
Merry Chanukah
Happy Hanukah
Happy Hannukah
Blessed Chanuka
Awesome Chanukkah
Merry Xanuka

Go Christmas! Go Chanukkah! Go Kwanzaa! Go Solstice!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/09 at 8:45 pm

Mr. Brown says he has to do things that include every child, but, ironically, what he is doing doesn't really include any child, not in any meaningful way. 

When I was at the Waldorf elementary, we did the whole Christmas thing with the advent calendar, carols, and candle-lighting.  Josh Meltzer, the only Jewish kid in the class, joined in and never felt excluded.  We also learned about Hanukkah and sang Hanukkah songs too.  Of course, part of the Waldorf mission is an emphasis on the ecumenical and multicultural. 

A lot of these school administrators getting overwrought about non-Christian kids feeling excluded around Christian holidays just end up being killjoys -- as do the Christian right administrators who quash Halloween because it's "pagan."  Just mellow out everybody.

FOX for its part has ginned up this phony war on Christmas to force another split between folks.  Divided we fall, and the rich and powerful want us to fall so they can stand on us.  And all FOX is is a mouthpiece for the rich.  Ergo, the vast minority of schools and businesses suppressing Christmas activities get this unwarranted hysterical stockading. 

This is the best post yet. I agree, FOX News does pride itself, on drumming up fake, phony, wars.

Written By: philbo on 12/18/09 at 5:15 am

We also learned about Hanukkah and sang Hanukkah songs too.

There is only one Hanukkah song ;)

Though it did make me think

Christmas is cancelled
The goose is getting fat
We'll eat it anyway
We like it like that

Check for new replies or respond here...