» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rage Against The Health Care

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/09 at 9:03 pm

First the tea partiers, now this....

::)

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/12/conservatives-rally-against-health-care-bill.html

By the way, while surfing the net, I saw a review for the film, Avatar, and there was an interesting quote, from the film in it.

"They can fix a spinal, but not on vets' benefits, not in this economy.”

Subject: Re: Rage Against The Health Care

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 9:56 pm

I never thought I would see such retrograde propaganda succeed in my life.  I thought we learned something from Hitler, Mussolini, and Mao.  But nooooooo....  There are a whole lotta people who don't know fom sh*t about history.  Thank god for a bunch of dickwagons who never learned nothing.  It makes it so much easier for tyranny, doesn't it?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/09 at 10:02 pm

I am always remined of this quote.....

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".  Never has it been more implied, than now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/09 at 12:13 am

And nothing of value was lost.

In order to get a bill - any bill - through, the Dems have turned what was supposed to be a major subsidy to the insurance industry into a colossal subsidy to the insurance industry, and have thrown a few bones to the anti-abortion lobby, and a few more hundred million to anyone who can be bought.

Congress is like a grand carnival, with 535 people flinging baseballs towards a common goal -- with voters serving as the clown in the dunk tank.

But hey, the voters demanded that something must be done about health care.  Whatever passes will have been something, and the people who voted for the party who passed the something will be forced on pain of cognitive dissonance to claim that it's somehow an improvement.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

I mean, just look how wonderful it worked out when the Republicans owned the Presidency, the House, and the Senate in 2000.  The only thing that was wrong with the Bush I era was that it was only by one or two Senate seats, so they also had to compromise on spending on stuff like the farm bill, NCLB, and so on, in order to get those tax cuts through...

http://i47.tinypic.com/w81d7b.jpg

So Health Care passes with a few warts, but hey, the Dems only had 60 seats.  Coulda won any vote, but with only one seat away from tripping up over the cloture rules, they had to compromise to avoid a threat of a filibuster.  So vote for 'em next time.  Honest, they'd have let you kick the football if you'd only given them the extra power that came with 61 or 62 seats, or even better, a firmly veto-proof 67 or 68 seats!  By Golly, then they'd really let you kick the football!  Honest!  They promise!

(My only regret is I'd already karma'd you.  Santayana's quote is one of my all-time favorites.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 8:18 am

The Democrats are WIMPS, p*ssies.  That's why I quit the party.  If Joe Lieberman betrayed the Republicans that way, his career would be over.  Instead, he's the most powerful man in the senate.  Every time I see that man, I wish he'd die of stroke or heart failure.  I shouldn't wish that upon him, but his actions are going to cause early deaths for countless others.

Written By: Tia on 12/18/09 at 10:16 am

First the tea partiers, now this....

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/12/conservatives-rally-against-health-care-bill.html

By the way, while surfing the net, I saw a review for the film, Avatar, and there was an interesting quote, from the film in it.

"They can fix a spinal, but not on vets' benefits, not in this economy.”
funny thing is, the cons are borrowing a tactic from Code Pink. and it turns out joe wilson was right, though he was wrong about what specifically obama was lying about.

i dunno, it's a cold day when you learn they'll take your tax money but they won't represent you, not on either side of the aisle. on THAT part of it, sadly, the teabaggers have it right.

Written By: tv on 12/18/09 at 2:26 pm

And nothing of value was lost.

In order to get a bill - any bill - through, the Dems have turned what was supposed to be a major subsidy to the insurance industry into a colossal subsidy to the insurance industry, and have thrown a few bones to the anti-abortion lobby, and a few more hundred million to anyone who can be bought.

Congress is like a grand carnival, with 535 people flinging baseballs towards a common goal -- with voters serving as the clown in the dunk tank.

But hey, the voters demanded that something must be done about health care.  Whatever passes will have been something, and the people who voted for the party who passed the something will be forced on pain of cognitive dissonance to claim that it's somehow an improvement.

I mean, just look how wonderful it worked out when the Republicans owned the Presidency, the House, and the Senate in 2000.  The only thing that was wrong with the Bush I era was that it was only by one or two Senate seats, so they also had to compromise on spending on stuff like the farm bill, NCLB, and so on, in order to get those tax cuts through...

http://i47.tinypic.com/w81d7b.jpg

So Health Care passes with a few warts, but hey, the Dems only had 60 seats.  Coulda won any vote, but with only one seat away from tripping up over the cloture rules, they had to compromise to avoid a threat of a filibuster.  So vote for 'em next time.  Honest, they'd have let you kick the football if you'd only given them the extra power that came with 61 or 62 seats, or even better, a firmly veto-proof 67 or 68 seats!  By Golly, then they'd really let you kick the football!  Honest!  They promise!
(My only regret is I'd already karma'd you.  Santayana's quote is one of my all-time favorites.)
No, the Republicans in 2001 actually lost power in the Senate because Jim Jeffords switced to cacus with democrats as an "independent" and he was a Republican before that so the Senate power was with the Dems 51(counting Jeffords) to 49 Republican Senate seats. Plus Bush(W.) wasn't president until January 2001 not 2000 like you are saying.

Don;t the Dems currently have 61 sears with Olympia Snowe? Hey just asking. I know Snowe is dissatisfied with the process of the helth care bill is going through but she might still might vote for it.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/18/09 at 9:26 pm

Snowe is certainly more liberal than Lieberman, that's for sure....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 10:27 pm

Snowe is certainly more liberal than Lieberman, that's for sure....

Joe Lieberman eats pork rinds behind his wife's back!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/oink.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/09 at 4:57 pm

And now for the latest from Fox News.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNix4TXTQoQ&feature=related

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/19/09 at 8:08 pm

Joe Lieberman eats pork rinds behind his wife's back!

Hey, his wife isn't that fat... oh, wait, you meant it literally, a kosher joke, not a fat joke.   

Never mind!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/19/09 at 9:30 pm

I am always remined of this quote.....

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".  Never has it been more implied, than now.

Close, but no cigar

"Those who are ignorant of their own history are condemned to repeat it"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/09 at 11:02 pm

Close, but no cigar

"Those who are ignorant of their own history are condemned to repeat it"

Either way, it's the apt quote right now. People are so blinded by the cries of anger that they won't do anything other other than yell and scream, about something like health care reform.

Really, what's so bad about trying to fix an overpriced system, and getting the best health care, possible?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/09 at 11:17 pm

Hey, his wife isn't that fat... oh, wait, you meant it literally, a kosher joke, not a fat joke.   

Never mind!

Just my why of saying Kosher Joe ain't so "kosher" in my book.  It's pretty low class to drag somebody's wife into it...and I just make the margin, heh heh!
;)

Written By: tv on 12/20/09 at 1:10 pm

Either way, it's the apt quote right now. People are so blinded by the cries of anger that they won't do anything other other than yell and scream, about something like health care reform.

Really, what's so bad about trying to fix an overpriced system, and getting the best health care, possible?
This bill  does nothing to correct the cost curve. David Axlerod(one of Obama's advisors) even ducked that particular question on correcting the cost curve on "Meet The Press" this morning. Health insurance premimus go up in 2 weeks because of the lab tax, medical equipment and etc. I thought the whole object was to bend the cost curve.

2.)Another reason why I don't like this is you go to jail if you don't buy health insurance. I say jail is for criminals not for people who don't buy health nsurance

3.)Government makes decisions on what procedures you get and don't get. I mean the government is allowed to play god on who lives and who dies?  I mean I';ll be 50 when I need another cardiac surgery and the government will probably just let me die because I don;t make enough money in their opinion to continue to live.

4.)This new bill bloats the size of government I mean 70 new agencies just to administer a new joint government/private insurance exchange. Why? Government already waste our money enough and now we taxpayers have to pay for more government employees? No wonder why Congress's has a paltry 25-27% approval rating. A couple of new agencies I could understand but 70? No.

If Congress corrects these 4 things which they won't I would be happy with the bill. I will be voting my Senators out in 2012 for this and the stimulus bill I know I mean spending bill!

In conclusion tihs bill was just to cover everybody with health insurance which isn;t a bad thing at all but bend the cost curve please.

The Democrats almost did the perfect bill without Republican help but they dropped the ball which will cost them in 2010 mid-term elections!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/20/09 at 1:31 pm

This bill  does nothing to correct the cost curve. David Axlerod(one of Obama's advisors) even ducked that particular question on correcting the cost curve on "Meet The Press" this morning. Health insurance premimus go up in 2 weeks because of the lab tax, medical equipment and etc. I thought the whole object was to bend the cost curve.

2.)Another reason why I don't like this is you go to jail if you don't buy health insurance. I say jail is for criminals not for people who don't buy health nsurance

3.)Government makes decisions on what procedures you get and don't get. I mean the government is allowed to play god on who lives and who dies?  I mean I';ll be 50 when I need another cardiac surgery and the government will probably just let me die because I don;t make enough money in their opinion to continue to live.

4.)This new bill bloats the size of government I mean 70 new agencies just to administer a new joint government/private insurance exchange. Why? Government already waste our money enough and now we taxpayers have to pay for more government employees? No wonder why Congress's has a paltry 25-27% approval rating. A couple of new agencies I could understand but 70? No.

If Congress corrects these 4 things which they won't I would be happy with the bill. I will be voting my Senators out in 2012 for this and the stimulus bill I know I mean spending bill!

In conclusion tihs bill was just to cover everybody with health insurance which isn;t a bad thing at all but bend the cost curve please.

The Democrats almost did the perfect bill without Republican help but they dropped the ball which will cost them in 2010 mid-term elections!

What?????????????????

You are just wrong.

Written By: tv on 12/20/09 at 2:31 pm

What?????????????????

You are just wrong.

Why am I wrong? You want to go to jail for not buying health insurance?  You want to see more money go to your health insurance rather than your net pay in your paycheck in a bad recession? You want a government bearucrat making your health decesions for you?

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/20/09 at 3:42 pm

Why am I wrong? You want to go to jail for not buying health insurance?  You want to see more money go to your health insurance rather than your net pay in your paycheck in a bad recession? You want a government bearucrat making your health decesions for you?

No, of course not, but none of that is in the bill.  That's why you are wrong.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/21/09 at 5:14 pm

That depends on what timeframe you're looking at.  The immediate rises in costs will likely be inconsequential compared to the long term rises in costs that will occur without any intervention.

That's a common misconception.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/11/16/myth-buster-no-jail-time-for-uninsured/

If you call that playing god, then insurance corporations already are playing god every day.

Approval ratings for Congress rarely are high.  This is because it's easier to blast a collective than an individual.  Oftentimes, the same people who say they disapprove of Congress will still defend their local representatives.

As for bloating government, it doesn't increase the government anymore than the military already has.

Most of the time, a period of a heavy majority for one party along with the presidency is followed by a slimmer majority of the same party in the next election cycle.  This will likely occur regardless of what the Democrats pass.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/21/09 at 11:06 pm

That depends on what timeframe you're looking at.  The immediate rises in costs will likely be inconsequential compared to the long term rises in costs that will occur without any intervention.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/11/16/myth-buster-no-jail-time-for-uninsured/

If you call that playing god, then insurance corporations already are playing god every day.

Approval ratings for Congress rarely are high.  This is because it's easier to blast a collective than an individual.  Oftentimes, the same people who say they disapprove of Congress will still defend their local representatives.

As for bloating government, it doesn't increase the government anymore than the military already has.

Most of the time, a period of a heavy majority for one party along with the presidency is followed by a slimmer majority of the same party in the next election cycle.  This will likely occur regardless of what the Democrats pass.

Thanks Mac for the specifics.  I was just to lazy, and he doesn't care.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/23/09 at 1:49 am

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4748/roflbotwd0t.jpg

"There are 100 senators here and I don’t know that there’s a senator that doesn’t have something in this bill that isn’t important to them," Reid said.
"If they don’t have something in it important to them then it doesn’t speak well of them."
- Harry Reid, on the passage of the Senate bill last weekend.

It's not about health care reform.  It never was.  It's about passing a bill that can be called health care reform, and any bill will do.  Something must be done, this is "something", therefore it must be done, especially if we can all loot a few (tens, hundreds of) megabucks from the taxpayers in exchange for our participation.  No public option, but a public mandate.  Insurance lobby wins, taxpayer loses, and the only reason the Republican wing of The Party is whining is because their palms weren't the ones to get greased.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/23/09 at 11:46 am

"There are 100 senators here and I don’t know that there’s a senator that doesn’t have something in this bill that isn’t important to them," Reid said.
"If they don’t have something in it important to them then it doesn’t speak well of them."

It's not about health care reform.  It never was.  It's about passing a bill that can be called health care reform, and any bill will do.  Something must be done, this is "something", therefore it must be done, especially if we can all loot a few (tens, hundreds of) megabucks from the taxpayers in exchange for our participation.  No public option, but a public mandate.  Insurance lobby wins, taxpayer loses, and the only reason the Republican wing of The Party is whining is because their palms weren't the ones to get greased.

I agree that this bill is highly flawed, but so was Social Security when it was first passed - most blacks were excluded f.e.  As Paul Krugman has been saying, it is better than nothing.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/23/09 at 8:08 pm

Sadly, this is mostly true....  It would seem that American government is more corrupt than a lot of the First World.  For example, Canada's development of socialized medicine was a lot less messy by comparison.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/09 at 6:18 am

Well the vote is today and was thinking of other health care votes that I can remember that have been extremely divisive, such as:

Should hospitals be required to give intravenous blood transfusions from Caucasians to non-causcasians, and vice versa?

Should doctors be allowed to administer addictive pain killers to terminally ill patients in their last days?

Should married women be allowed birth control without consent of their husbands?" 

Should unmarried women be allowed to have birth control?

Should insurance companies be required to cover prenatal and obstetrical care to unmarried women?

Civilization comes slowly... but it comes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/24/09 at 12:17 pm

Well the vote is today and was thinking of other health care votes that I can remember that have been extremely divisive, such as:

Should hospitals be required to give intravenous blood transfusions from Caucasians to non-causcasians, and vice versa?

Should doctors be allowed to administer addictive pain killers to terminally ill patients in their last days?

Should married women be allowed birth control without consent of their husbands?" 

Should unmarried women be allowed to have birth control?

Should insurance companies be required to cover prenatal and obstetrical care to unmarried women?

Civilization comes slowly... but it comes.

You probably know that the doctor who perfected blood transfusion was black, and died for the lack of one in a "white" hospital.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/09 at 8:28 pm

You probably know that the doctor who perfected blood transfusion was black, and died for the lack of one in a "white" hospital.

Yup.

Written By: tv on 12/26/09 at 6:05 pm

Sadly, this is mostly true....  It would seem that American government is more corrupt than a lot of the First World.  For example, Canada's development of socialized medicine was a lot less messy by comparison.
Yeah I I heard a US Senator on one of the Sunday Morning Political Talk Shows saying how the Afghan government is corrupt. It was like aren;t you guys corrupt too(the US government?)

Written By: tv on 12/26/09 at 6:33 pm

Playing god-Well I think its wrong for insurance companies or the US government to decide who lives and who dies.

Bloating the size of government-Well the military is different I mean you need a good size military to fight wars. I don ;t like when the US government has to add alot more layers of beauracracy when its not needed.

As for the Dems losing seats in 2010 I thought the Republicans would gain a few seats but in my judgement the Dems are making alot of mistakes so the Republican gains should be substantial in the House of Representatives. They'll gain a few seats in the Senate: I mean Dodd, Reid, Lincoln, Dorgan, Specter,  Bennent(Colorado),the Delaware seat is gonna be open and Mike Castle might win that one and he's a Republican, Evan Byah might be vunerable  now as Indiana's senator, the Repubs could win an Illiinois senate seat with Mark Kirk. Ohio is a toss-up.

I think the most vunerable Republican Senator for 2010 is David Vitter from Louisiana because of the scandals he was invloved in a couple years ago but I think he'll keep his senate seat though.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/26/09 at 9:36 pm

Yeah I I heard a US Senator on one of the Sunday Morning Political Talk Shows saying how the Afghan government is corrupt. It was like aren;t you guys corrupt too(the US government?)

Well... Afghanistan is another story altogether.  If the HDI is to be believed, Afghanistan is the second worst country to live in.  Niger is the only one worse.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/09 at 1:05 am

It is fascist for the government to require citizens to purchase unaffordable health insurance from corporations, but that is the true definition of fascism

Communism:  You have two cows.  The government takes them both and gives the milk to you.
Fascism: You have two cows.  The government takes them both and sells the milk to you.

That is what has happened in our country.  We have allowed policies to proceed over the past thirty years which have destroyed our economy for the benefit of a few super rich people.  They have stolen all the low-hanging fruit.  Now they are getting more creative in their theft of our declared rights.  This health care bill seems to be part of that.  And it isn't fascism because we won't call it fascism.  In a fascist state, you would have to sing the national anthem before baseball games and stuff...

However...

Nobody is going to jail for refusing to buy health insurance.  If the government sends you to prison, they have to pay for your health care and the rest of your living expenses -- if you can call living in a U.S. prison any kind of living you would want to do.  The way you get the little f**kers who won't buy insurance is to fine them, and then if they don't pay the fine, fine on top of the original fine for not paying the original fine.  You might not get all the money, but you can outsource your collections for real cheap and ruin the credit of those who won't pay.  Believe me, once your credit is destroyed in this country you are a second-class citizen.  They've been running a similar kind of racket for decades with higher education.

No, I don't want a government bureaucrat making health care decisions for me, but it's okay if an insurance corporation bureaucrat does the same thing.  It's okay because they don't use the word "government." 

Check for new replies or respond here...