» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Lindsey Graham thinks making his state adopt health care is unfair because of...

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/24/09 at 9:43 am

the large African-American population.  wow... just wow. 

"Throughout the nation there are going to be thousands more people enrolled in Medicaid and every state except one is going to have to come up with matching money," Graham remarks. "I have 12 percent unemployment in South Carolina. My state's on its knees. I have 31 percent African-American population in South Carolina."

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/lindsey-graham-cites-blacks-as-disadvantage/

that's some fine racism there Senator...

Subject: Re: Lindsey Graham thinks making his state adopt health care is unfair because of...

Written By: Tia on 12/24/09 at 11:19 am

i don't even know what he's driving at. is it graham's opinion that states with high african-american populations shouldn't have health insurance? it's just plain strange.

Subject: Re: Lindsey Graham thinks making his state adopt health care is unfair because of...

Written By: Jessica on 12/24/09 at 12:10 pm

This earns the "What the f*ck?" award from me.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/24/09 at 12:12 pm

i don't even know what he's driving at. is it graham's opinion that states with high african-american populations shouldn't have health insurance? it's just plain strange.

Not so strange when you consider the source.  And yes, he earns the WTF award.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/09 at 1:55 pm

Rachel Maddow mentioned this on her show the other day.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/24/09 at 10:18 pm

You sir, are a collasall douch bag, Mr. Graham.

::)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/09 at 6:01 am

...Graham later says: "My state, with 30 percent African-American citizens, a lot of low income people in South Carolina is going to cost my state a billion dollars, that's the same old stuff that I object to. That's not change we can believe in. That's sleazy."

Well, maybe he should concentrate on seeing to it that his state attracts better paying jobs for those low income people.  Northern entreprises love moving south because places like South Carolina don't mind it if you depress wages and throw away benefits.  South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, are corporate stepping stones to China.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/25/09 at 10:23 pm

Um...  well, I guess he's probably looking at it like this...

The obesity rate is higher among blacks than among the general populace overall.  The same is true for certain other health issues.  When you figure in the low income issue as well...  his complaint makes sense on a certain level.

Granted, the way he's presenting his complaint is pretty racist.

In addition to this, he seems to be assuming that a national healthcare system would somehow be dependent on a state's income rather than on the economy as a whole.  The irony of this assumption is that the GOP has often tried to push for a state-based system, with each state deciding on its own healthcare reforms.  Graham seems to be inadvertently admitting that the wealth disparity among the states makes this logistically implausible.

In effect, if you think about what he's saying, it makes it all the more obvious that the only way we can have a feasible socialized system is for it to be federally implemented and with higher taxes on the wealthy (and on businesses).

Of course, I doubt Graham has really put 2 and 2 together on all this....

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/09 at 8:52 am

Um...  well, I guess he's probably looking at it like this...

The obesity rate is higher among blacks than among the general populace overall.  The same is true for certain other health issues.  When you figure in the low income issue as well...   his complaint makes sense on a certain level.

Granted, the way he's presenting his complaint is pretty racist.

The obesity rate is higher among low income workers as a whole, when matched to the general population.  Black wage earners in the low income category make less money than the white low income wage earners.  The general population in South Carolina tends to be on the low end scale of income when compared to the rest of the country.  Graham is complaining, but if he had been doing his job and seeing to it that the government was working for the greater good of all the people he, and they, wouldn't be in this position.

Written By: tv on 12/26/09 at 5:57 pm

Yeah I didn;t know what he's was driving at either like a poster on this thread said before. I usually agree with Graham on economic issues too. He should apoligize for this comment that I have 31 percent African American population in South Carolina.

Written By: tv on 12/26/09 at 6:01 pm

...Graham later says: "My state, with 30 percent African-American citizens, a lot of low income people in South Carolina is going to cost my state a billion dollars, that's the same old stuff that I object to. That's not change we can believe in. That's sleazy."

Well, maybe he should concentrate on seeing to it that his state attracts better paying jobs for those low income people.  Northern entreprises love moving south because places like South Carolina don't mind it if you depress wages and throw away benefits.  South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, are corporate stepping stones to China.
I thought Graham said it was sleazy that the deal that Democratic Senator Ben Nelson got for his state of Nebraska on the issue of Medicade.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/26/09 at 9:46 pm

The obesity rate is higher among low income workers as a whole, when matched to the general population. 

True, but there are other factors involved.  A lot of "soul food" is exceptionally unhealthy.  I'm not saying the average white American eats healthy either, but soul food is often extremely unhealthy if it isn't coupled with a physically active lifestyle.

Of course, the fact that some of the least healthy foods overall are cheaper doesn't encourage those of low income to eat healthier foods.

Black wage earners in the low income category make less money than the white low income wage earners.  The general population in South Carolina tends to be on the low end scale of income when compared to the rest of the country.  Graham is complaining, but if he had been doing his job and seeing to it that the government was working for the greater good of all the people he, and they, wouldn't be in this position.

For the most part, I agree.  Graham obviously doesn't care about the poor, whether they're black or white.  He's never been a friend to social programs or the working man in general.  Granted, South Carolina is a poor state overall that will likely need a lot of continued reinvestment from wealthier states to progress.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/09 at 12:46 am

Not to mention that the ancestors of that 31% African-American population were hauled like cargo across the Atlantic and deprived of their basic humanity for 200 years!

Danoota is right that industries such as textiles and furniture did move from the cities such as Lowell to cities such as Charleston because you could pay them a lot less and they wouldn't dare get uppity.  Then when that wasn't good enough, they just moved it all to China where they can pay the workers nothing and shoot them if they get out of line -- which they won't, believe me!

Graham will weasel his way out of this one, no problem.  Mark Sanford's still got his job, after all!

Interesting point Mac brought up about health insurance across state lines.  You knew what that was about.  The lie -- and it really doesn't phase the fat cats to lie to us -- was that it would increase competition among insurance companies.  The motivation was a race to the bottom.  Delaware has the lowest corporate tax rate, so a lot of corporations locate their headquarters in Delaware.  Whatever state makes health insurance regulations best for the bottom line will become the insurance capital.  Anyway, that's off the topic.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/09 at 9:43 am

For the most part, I agree.  Graham obviously doesn't care about the poor, whether they're black or white.  He's never been a friend to social programs or the working man in general.  Granted, South Carolina is a poor state overall that will likely need a lot of continued reinvestment from wealthier states to progress.

ummm....You mean redistribution of wealth from wealthier states to poorer states.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/29/09 at 6:36 pm

ummm....You mean redistribution of wealth from wealthier states to poorer states.

Same difference...  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...