» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Harry Reid Forced to Eat (Jim) Crow...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/10 at 8:59 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/us/politics/10reidweb.html

Seems that Harry Reid got caught with his foot in his mouth.  A recent book quotes him from the 2008 campaign saying (words to the effect) that O'bama had a decent chance at winning because he has light skin and does not have a "Negro dialect".

Apparently the quotations were accurate, as Reid has already offered up his apologies.

Subject: Re: Harry Reid Forced to Eat (Jim) Crow...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/10 at 11:57 pm

I say lawdy lawdy Mistah Reid, I sho' tries!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 01/10/10 at 3:48 am

Well, Reid is a Mormon...

Mormons didn't even let blacks into their congregations until the 70s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/10 at 9:41 am

I say lawdy lawdy Mistah Reid, I sho' tries!

Well, Reid certainly could have made his point a bit more delicately.  Perhaps he should have admired how "articulate" Obama is, like Biden did.  ;D

All of this said, and political correctness aside, I will make a statement (at some risk here) that Reid indeed was making some technically correct points:

Right or wrong, a "light skinned" person is perceived much better than a "dark skinned" person, even within the African American community.  I am not justifying this, just saying that for whatever reason it is a reality.  So technically he had a correct viewpoint, although he should have come up with a whole better way of saying it, and perhaps apologetically.  I would have simply kept my mouth shut on this because I do not know how you can "spin" it into a positive without looking like a flat out racist, even if you are not one.

As to the whole "dialect" thing, again the point is valid but he certainly needed to come up with a better way of saying it.  As opposed to the stereotype that is out there for young African Americans, Obama IS well educated, well spoken, and yes (I'll say it) articulate.  Now other black leaders such as Sharpton and Jackson also fit this description, more power to them.  But far too many of the African American "role models" out there speak in an affected "street talk" where words are not pronounced, english is mangled in every sentence, and a completely affected accent is used.  Know wha I'm sayin'?  I have a former coworker who is a fantastic lady, well educated and professional, very highly paid, and she carries herself much like Obama or Michelle.  But her kids, who have grown up in the 'burbs, speak like street thugs with an accent nobody in their house possesses, like they were "Straight outta Compton", with the nonsensical pronunciation and grammar.  It has to drive their mother nuts.  She knows that their potential will be limited if they do not stop presenting themselves as street players.  ::)  I hope she gets their presentation turned around.

The reality of ths situation is that if, say, in 1990 or so, Obama maintained the exact same policies and viewpoints that he has today, but started talking like a street thug, he never would have been elected to office, not even in Illinois.

As a result, some people accuse Obama of being an "Oreo" or a "Tom", or "not black enough".  While I disagree with many of his policies, he deserves full credit for presenting himself as he is... an educated, intelligent, and productive man.  Given the disadvantages of his childhood, he could have turned out completely differently, and I think he's even written about it in his book.  It is too bad that many similarly intelligent young men (in particular) feel compelled to put on the "street" persona and language, and then wonder why they are stunted in achieving their potential.

(Side note:  Here in Pittsburgh we also have plenty of WHITE citizens who put on a feigned accent that makes them sound and look like they just fell off the turnip truck and landed on their heads, too.  Of the ones I know, many came from families that did not present themselves this way, but for whatever reason, these individuals thought it would be "cool" to talk like morons and it is sad.  But who knows, maybe they ARE morons and the accent simply is a symptom.  But I don't think that is the case for most, and because of how they present themselves, they are dismissed as not that bright.)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/10 at 10:33 am

^ Totally agree

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/10 at 1:05 pm

An Mr. Reid is a jerk, which doesn't surprise me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/10 at 2:28 pm

^ Totally agree

It is not about "acting white".  For example, I don't think that Obama "acts white".  And the lady I referred to (my co-worker), if you dealt with her you'd see that she does not "act white".  They both have their viewpoints and approach life from the perspective of somebody who comes from what has been a disadvantaged minority, and they have succeeded in life without having to surrender their identity.  Get into a civil rights discussion with either of them and it becomes crystal clear that they are not trying to "be white".

They are who they are, each with African-American heritage, and neither try to hide it.  But at the same time, neither are going out of their way to act "street" like so many of the role models you see out there intentionally do.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/10 at 4:27 pm

It is not about "acting white".  For example, I don't think that Obama "acts white".  And the lady I referred to (my co-worker), if you dealt with her you'd see that she does not "act white".  They both have their viewpoints and approach life from the perspective of somebody who comes from what has been a disadvantaged minority, and they have succeeded in life without having to surrender their identity.  Get into a civil rights discussion with either of them and it becomes crystal clear that they are not trying to "be white".

They are who they are, each with African-American heritage, and neither try to hide it.  But at the same time, neither are going out of their way to act "street" like so many of the role models you see out there intentionally do.

That is what I was saying.  I am accused of "acting white", WTF is that supposed to mean?  I am myself, as I was born and as I was raised.  This is an accusation made by both whites and blacks.

Written By: tv on 01/10/10 at 4:48 pm

It is not about "acting white".  For example, I don't think that Obama "acts white".   And the lady I referred to (my co-worker), if you dealt with her you'd see that she does not "act white".  They both have their viewpoints and approach life from the perspective of somebody who comes from what has been a disadvantaged minority, and they have succeeded in life without having to surrender their identity.  Get into a civil rights discussion with either of them and it becomes crystal clear that they are not trying to "be white".

They are who they are, each with African-American heritage, and neither try to hide it.  But at the same time, neither are going out of their way to act "street" like so many of the role models you see out there intentionally do.
Isn;t Obama half-white though?

As for Harry Reid I mean this is not the first time he has made an awkward comment. In 2006 he said George W. Bush was a liar and a loser on the Sunday Morning political  show"Meet The Press." Last month he called the Republican Senators on  holding up the health care bill and compared it too "slavery" on the floor of the US Senate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/10 at 7:02 pm

Yes.  Obama is kinda screwed no matter which way he goes.  My view is that as he grew up, the world around him "identified" him as black and so that is more or less how he identifies himself.

Some whites see him as "too black".  Some blacks see him as "too white".  Whats important is that he sees himself as... HIMSELF.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/10 at 7:10 pm

That is what I was saying.  I am accused of "acting white", WTF is that supposed to mean?  I am myself, as I was born and as I was raised.  This is an accusation made by both whites and blacks.

I think that when a white person accuses a black person of "acting white" it is meant as a putdown because they do not want a black person to succeed.

I also think when a black person accuses a black person of "acting white" it really means that they are jealous somehow of that person, thus the need to "put them down".

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/10 at 9:35 pm

I think that when a white person accuses a black person of "acting white" it is meant as a putdown because they do not want a black person to succeed.

I also think when a black person accuses a black person of "acting white" it really means that they are jealous somehow of that person, thus the need to "put them down".

White people also accuse black people of acting white.

You can be 1/2 white, but you are always all black

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/10 at 11:01 pm

You can be 1/2 white, but you are always all black

What was that thing called back in the day (and possibly still today)?  The one drop rule?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/10 at 7:04 am

What was that thing called back in the day (and possibly still today)?  The one drop rule?

No, that is a bit different.  That just said if you could trace any black ancestor than you were black.  With the advent of DNA and the internet a lot of people have now entered the realm of blackness, ones that didn't have any idea.  I'm loving it!  I actually was doing my ancestry and was back and forth with a woman who shared my ancestry, until I pointed her to some census that showed the designation "B".  She wrote back that it was a mistake, I wrote back that it wasn't because I was black and so was that whole side of that family.  I never heard from her again.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/10 at 9:16 am

No, that is a bit different.  That just said if you could trace any black ancestor than you were black.  With the advent of DNA and the internet a lot of people have now entered the realm of blackness, ones that didn't have any idea.  I'm loving it!  I actually was doing my ancestry and was back and forth with a woman who shared my ancestry, until I pointed her to some census that showed the designation "B".  She wrote back that it was a mistake, I wrote back that it wasn't because I was black and so was that whole side of that family.  I never heard from her again.  ;D

Ah, I get it now. :)

And she didn't want to acknowledge her black ancestry? :o

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/10 at 12:14 pm

Ah, I get it now. :)

And she didn't want to acknowledge her black ancestry? :o

It happens a lot. I was thinking.  The whole Thomas Jefferson/Sally Hemings thing, the Hemings family took a DNA test that confirmed they were descended from the Jefferson line, but still some say that it wasn't Thomas Jefferson, so the Monticello Association is still denying them full rights.  They also refuse to turn over a lock of Thomas Jeffersons hair for processing that would still contain his DNA . I wonder how many of them would be willing to take a DNA test to see if they are actually descendants.  After all, until now it was taking the word of the mother, whether married or not. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/11/10 at 6:37 pm

Well, Reid certainly could have made his point a bit more delicately.  Perhaps he should have admired how "articulate" Obama is, like Biden did.  ;D

All of this said, and political correctness aside, I will make a statement (at some risk here) that Reid indeed was making some technically correct points:

Right or wrong, a "light skinned" person is perceived much better than a "dark skinned" person, even within the African American community.  I am not justifying this, just saying that for whatever reason it is a reality.  So technically he had a correct viewpoint, although he should have come up with a whole better way of saying it, and perhaps apologetically.  I would have simply kept my mouth shut on this because I do not know how you can "spin" it into a positive without looking like a flat out racist, even if you are not one.

As to the whole "dialect" thing, again the point is valid but he certainly needed to come up with a better way of saying it.  As opposed to the stereotype that is out there for young African Americans, Obama IS well educated, well spoken, and yes (I'll say it) articulate.  Now other black leaders such as Sharpton and Jackson also fit this description, more power to them.  But far too many of the African American "role models" out there speak in an affected "street talk" where words are not pronounced, english is mangled in every sentence, and a completely affected accent is used.  Know wha I'm sayin'?  I have a former coworker who is a fantastic lady, well educated and professional, very highly paid, and she carries herself much like Obama or Michelle.  But her kids, who have grown up in the 'burbs, speak like street thugs with an accent nobody in their house possesses, like they were "Straight outta Compton", with the nonsensical pronunciation and grammar.  It has to drive their mother nuts.  She knows that their potential will be limited if they do not stop presenting themselves as street players.  ::)  I hope she gets their presentation turned around.

I have to point out, though, that were ANY of these observations made by someone other than a caucasian, they would be taken completely differently....dare I say, they would not have been an issue or as big of an issue ???

Personally, I think Reid is an idiot PERIOD, these comments just reaffirm my belief.

I'm confused....isn't that what Lyric Boy said first???

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/10 at 7:37 pm

Harry Reid isn't the only one saying stupid shyt.

Blowjobovich "blacker than Barack Obama"

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/10 at 7:46 pm

I'm kind of sick of Harry Reid anyway. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/10 at 8:20 pm

Harry Reid isn't the only one saying stupid shyt.

Blowjobovich "blacker than Barack Obama"

Perhaps, but everybody knows that Bill Clinton was blacker than both Blowjobabitch AND O'bama.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/10 at 2:00 am

Well, in pre-bellum times, it was economical. 

You could make your own new slave stock.  If that child was even 1/32 black, he could still be a bondsman.  Pretty sweet deal, eh? 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/10 at 7:50 am

Well, in pre-bellum times, it was economical. 

You could make your own new slave stock.  If that child was even 1/32 black, he could still be a bondsman.  Pretty sweet deal, eh? 

Right.  Mark Twain wasn't  too shy to write about it.  Read his, what should be required, story "Pudd'nead Wilson". Any child born to a slave mother was a slave.  So, a white man rapes a African slave the child is still a slave, even though it is his own child, this 1/2 white 1/2 african child is raped by a white man(maybe even her father) and the child is 3/4 white 1/4 African, still a slave, and on and on. There were many children with blond hair and blue eyes, but slaves nonetheless because their mother was a slave and they possessed the one drop.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/10 at 12:42 pm

Right.   Mark Twain wasn't  too shy to write about it.  Read his, what should be required, story "Pudd'nead Wilson". Any child born to a slave mother was a slave.  So, a white man rapes a African slave the child is still a slave, even though it is his own child, this 1/2 white 1/2 african child is raped by a white man(maybe even her father) and the child is 3/4 white 1/4 African, still a slave, and on and on. There were many children with blond hair and blue eyes, but slaves nonetheless because their mother was a slave and they possessed the one drop.

Exactly, and by the outbreak of the Civil War, you had "black" slaves who looked like William F. Buckley.  I mean, not many, but it was going in that direction.  It's ironic that white American men have this atavistic terror of black men raping their wives and daughters, but 99% of the raping of wives and daughters was done by white men to black women.  I guess the white man figured if the black man was anywhere near as nasty, we'd better watch it!  It's not like it all stopped after the 13th Amendment either.  Remember Uncle Strom's Cabin?  You know what would have happened to the Thurmond family chauffeur if Strom's sister was fooling around with him?  At the same time as young Strom was making a grab for the maid, black men were being shot, hanged, dismembered, and immolated merely because a white lady said she thought the guy might have looked at her funny. 

And that's why Trent Lott's remark that if we listened to Strom, we wouldn't have had all these problems all these years is incalculably worse than what Reid said.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/10 at 2:07 pm

I love this part the best.....

"It was a very stupid thing to say," Blagojevich told Chicago station CBS 2 this morning. "Obviously, I'm not blacker than President Obama."

Gee, I could have told you that, Blowjobaveich.

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/10 at 6:17 pm

And that's why Trent Lott's remark that if we listened to Strom, we wouldn't have had all these problems all these years is incalculably worse than what Reid said.

I think the whole reaction to Lott's comment was WAY overblown.

I mean, shoot... They were having a birthday party for a guy who was like 175 years old, and so Lott says "yeah, too bad you were not elected President, Strom". He wasn't making a call for the return to a racist society, he was just stroking an old buddy.

That said, I never liked Lott so I did not shed a tear when he stepped out of the limelight.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/10 at 8:56 pm

I think the whole reaction to Lott's comment was WAY overblown.

I mean, shoot... They were having a birthday party for a guy who was like 175 years old, and so Lott says "yeah, too bad you were not elected President, Strom". He wasn't making a call for the return to a racist society, he was just stroking an old buddy.

That said, I never liked Lott so I did not shed a tear when he stepped out of the limelight.

Thurmond was a staunch racial segregationist.  Segregation was the basis of his platform when he ran as a Dixiecrat for president in 1948.

"I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the n*gg*r race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches."
--Sen. Strom Thurmond (Dixiecrat, SC, 1948)

Sen. Strom Thurmond set the record for a one-man congressional filibuster.  His filibuster against the Civil Rights Act of 1957 lasted 24 hours consecutively.  The main goal of that bill was to ensure ALL African Americans could exercise the right to vote.  Thurmond stood on the senate floor and talked for a literal 24-hour day in an attempt to keep Black people disempowered in this country!  

Thus, Lott's comment: "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either," implied Jim Crow legislation was righteous and goals of racial integration and equality between whites and blacks were inherently destructive.  It couldn't mean anything else.  The fact that Lott made these statements at all demonstrates that Lott is a racist himself.  He was yearning for the days of his youth when the white man's boot was holding down the black man's neck and he didn't have to see them at the pool or the lunch counter.  

If Lott said that in the presence of the media, it gives pause to wonder what he and his ilk must say in private.  What would it take for those good ole boys to say, "Hey, whoa!  That's not cool!"
:o

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/10 at 7:48 am

Sen. Strom Thurmond set the record for a one-man congressional filibuster.  His filibuster against the Civil Rights Act of 1957 lasted 24 hours consecutively.  The main goal of that bill was to ensure ALL African Americans could exercise the right to vote.  Thurmond stood on the senate floor and talked for a literal 24-hour day in an attempt to keep Black people disempowered in this country! 

Thus, Lott's comment: "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either," implied Jim Crow legislation was righteous and goals of racial integration and equality between whites and blacks were inherently destructive.  It couldn't mean anything else.  The fact that Lott made these statements at all demonstrates that Lott is a racist himself.  He was yearning for the days of his youth when the white man's boot was holding down the black man's neck and he didn't have to see them at the pool or the lunch counter. 

....or, like strom, raping the 15 year old housemaid with the knowledge that she couldn't do a thing about it

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/10 at 1:31 pm

....or, like strom, raping the 15 year old housemaid with the knowledge that she couldn't do a thing about it

Strom was evil, but he wasn't stupid.  He managed to keep the daughter that maid bore a secret for his entire political career, which lasted more than a half a century.  The maid is long gone, but the daughter is still alive.  She's a retired schoolteacher.  He did give her some money to help her along in life.  "It's all politics, honey," he'd say when she asked him why he fought so hard against civil rights bills.  When LBJ signed the 1965 civil rights bill, he said it was the end of the Democratic party in the South.  LBJ was right when it comes to federal offices. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/13/10 at 4:55 pm

I've now heard that Whoopi Goldberg has defended Reid...the same woman who defended Ted Danson when he made some very unfunny remarks at the Friars Club Roast! :o

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/10 at 5:33 pm

I've now heard that Whoopi Goldberg has defended Reid...the same woman who defended Ted Danson when he made some very unfunny remarks at the Friars Club Roast! :o

Well, she was knocking boots with Ted at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/10 at 6:31 pm

Well, she was knocking boots with Ted at the time.

Whoopi and Ted?
???

C'est la vie say the old folks, that goes to show you never can tell!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/13/10 at 7:09 pm

Right.   Mark Twain wasn't  too shy to write about it.  Read his, what should be required, story "Pudd'nead Wilson". Any child born to a slave mother was a slave.  So, a white man rapes a African slave the child is still a slave, even though it is his own child, this 1/2 white 1/2 african child is raped by a white man(maybe even her father) and the child is 3/4 white 1/4 African, still a slave, and on and on. There were many children with blond hair and blue eyes, but slaves nonetheless because their mother was a slave and they possessed the one drop.

Being since a slave was property no eyebrows were raised when the situation would happen.  The slaveholders wife didn't get upset because the woman in question was a thing.  Didn't they usually keep the children as servants in the main house?  I always thought there was a certain status of sort on a plantation.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/10 at 7:22 pm

Being since a slave was property no eyebrows were raised when the situation would happen.  The slaveholders wife didn't get upset because the woman in question was a thing.  Didn't they usually keep the children as servants in the main house?  I always thought there was a certain status of sort on a plantation.

On the contrary, the wives of the slaveholders were beside themselves about the situation.  Some of them took their anger out on the women and children, so they were doubly abused.  Many times the children were sold away as soon as possible, the mother and child split up. Many times they were kept in the main house as servants, can you imagine the family dynamics in that situation.  To get insight into that you should pick up "The Hemings of Monticello",by Annette Gordon-Reed.  It is a scholarly look at what could have been the family dynamics of the Thomas Jefferson/Sally Hemings family in the life of Monticello.  It is extremely interesting.  Being a house slave tended to have its perks, so there was a certain status associated with it, but it had it dangers, as well.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/13/10 at 7:31 pm

On the contrary, the wives of the slaveholders were beside themselves about the situation.  Some of them took their anger out on the women and children, so they were doubly abused.  Many times the children were sold away as soon as possible, the mother and child split up. Many times they were kept in the main house as servants, can you imagine the family dynamics in that situation.  To get insight into that you should pick up "The Hemings of Monticello",by Annette Gordon-Reed.  It is a scholarly look at what could have been the family dynamics of the Thomas Jefferson/Sally Hemings family in the life of Monticello.  It is extremely interesting.  Being a house slave tended to have its perks, so there was a certain status associated with it, but it had it dangers, as well.

Makes sense.  I will have to read that book.  So do you think that the Jefferson/Hemings thing will ever be resolved?  I heard somewhere that some of the Jefferson descendent's are trying desperately to pin it on his brother.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/10 at 1:31 am

Dangers like being a sweet young thang!  And don't doubt some of those slaveholders did stuff to their "Mulatto" sons.  There was just an understanding that the boy best keep his mouth shut unless he wants to be a Christmas tree ornament!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/10 at 7:31 am

Makes sense.  I will have to read that book.  So do you think that the Jefferson/Hemings thing will ever be resolved?  I heard somewhere that some of the Jefferson descendent's are trying desperately to pin it on his brother.

It has already been resolved.  The major historians have come to agree with the DNA and documentary evidence, David McCollough himself publicly acknowledged his belief that TJ was the father of Sallys children.  There is dissent in the Monticello Association, many have come over to the Hemings side and attended the Hemings family picnic as extended family members. Those who haven't are the ones in control, and are the ones who refuse to turn over the hair sample of Jefferson so that the "problem" could be solved once and for all.  Makes you wonder why  ::) .  The fact is the Hemings family DNA puts them squarely in the Jefferson family, be it TJ or someone else.  For decades they were scoffed at because all they had was the word of their parents.  I wonder what would happen if DNA was a requirement of the Monticello Association.  All they really have is documentary evidence based on the word of their parents, which is all the Hemings had, but the Hemings have the DNA to boot.   

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/14/10 at 2:07 pm

It has already been resolved.  The major historians have come to agree with the DNA and documentary evidence, David McCollough himself publicly acknowledged his belief that TJ was the father of Sallys children.  There is dissent in the Monticello Association, many have come over to the Hemings side and attended the Hemings family picnic as extended family members. Those who haven't are the ones in control, and are the ones who refuse to turn over the hair sample of Jefferson so that the "problem" could be solved once and for all.  Makes you wonder why  ::) .  The fact is the Hemings family DNA puts them squarely in the Jefferson family, be it TJ or someone else.  For decades they were scoffed at because all they had was the word of their parents.  I wonder what would happen if DNA was a requirement of the Monticello Association.  All they really have is documentary evidence based on the word of their parents, which is all the Hemings had, but the Hemings have the DNA to boot.   

People can't fathom Jefferson having blemishes.  The Monticello Association thrives on that mentality.  Hard evidence that T.J. was the father of Sally kids would do just that.  I would hope that some people would look at the fact that he was human and things happen.  Didn't he free Sally and her children?  I think if DNA were a requirement the association would become chaotic.  The south does not like DNA evidence.  Too many proper white southern families are not racially pure.  It would ruin the whole code they pretend to live by.  As for how many members would have to leave?  I'm sure quite a few.  I'm wondering what genes they would look for in order to claim being a descendant?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/14/10 at 6:33 pm

Harry Reid and his repug critics aside, race has always been complex, but what is clear is that people of color have always been disadvantaged, and at times, complexion isn't an issue.  I look "white" but have been called a spic because my blue-eyed mother was from Puerto Rico.  So I guess I'm not white, which is ok with me - all I am is me and human.  That should be enough.

Written By: tv on 01/16/10 at 6:42 pm

Well last week wasn't all bad for Harry Reid. He got Republican support from senators like Tom Coburn and his Nevada US senate mate John Ensign in lieu of hos comments about Barack Obama. Reid'a approval rating in "Rassmussen Reports" ticked up to 31% this month from 25% last month.

The negative news for Reid included he still trails all his Republican opponents for the 2010 mid terms in Rassmussen. He trails Danny Tarkanian 50%-36%, Sue Lowden 48%-36%, and Sharon Angle 44%-40%.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/18/10 at 7:20 am

People can't fathom Jefferson having blemishes.  The Monticello Association thrives on that mentality.  Hard evidence that T.J. was the father of Sally kids would do just that.  I would hope that some people would look at the fact that he was human and things happen.  Didn't he free Sally and her children?  I think if DNA were a requirement the association would become chaotic.  The south does not like DNA evidence.  Too many proper white southern families are not racially pure.  It would ruin the whole code they pretend to live by.  As for how many members would have to leave?  I'm sure quite a few.  I'm wondering what genes they would look for in order to claim being a descendant?

The only slaves Jefferson freed were his children with Sally.  He did not free her, she remained a slave on paper, but was allowed by his daughter Patsy, whose property she became, to live with her sons Madison and Eston, in Charlottesville. She died in 1835

Check for new replies or respond here...