» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Brown/Palin 2012

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/10 at 11:28 pm

Could Scott Brown be the next President, and Sarah Palin, the Vice President?

Subject: Re: Brown/Palin 2012

Written By: Macphisto on 01/21/10 at 2:53 am

Trick question...  Scott Brown could possibly run for president after a few terms in the Senate, but if he chose Palin as his running mate, he would lose.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/10 at 7:20 am

Brown yes, but there isn't any way he would put Palin on the ticket.  There isn't a mirror big enough for the both of them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/21/10 at 11:12 am

Brown yes, but there isn't any way he would put Palin on the ticket.  There isn't a mirror big enough for the both of them.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/10 at 3:08 pm

Very witty, Wilde, very, very witty.  I wish I had thought of that!  Karma.
;D

I went with "Hell Yeah" because the question was could not should.

With the new SCOTUS decision deregulating corporate influence on campaigns (see Lyricboy's thread), all the business interests could get behind a send Brown to Town campaign.  The social conservatives wouldn't support him, but big business doesn't care about abortion or prayer in school or whatever.  It's all about greed for those guys and Scott Brown is an empty slate.  They could make him their puppet!
::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/10 at 4:06 pm

I think Palin ruined her chances of winning any national office as soon as she resigned the governorship of Alaska.

Right after she resigned, I was sitting at a bar with a few of my redneck drinking buddies, and they were all kind of wringing their hands and saying stuff like, "I don't get it, why'd she resign?" and trying to think of ways to rationalize it when I suddenly smiled and blurted out, "Because she's a quitter! She's a f*cking QUITTER!" They all stopped and glared at me with the dirtiest of looks but said nothing, because they had no good comeback for that.

I have the feeling that if Palin tries to make another run at the White House, that the "quitter" label will be what ultimately sinks her.

Written By: tv on 01/21/10 at 7:02 pm

I heavily doubt if Scott Brown is gonna run for president in 2012. Nobody even heard of Scott Brown I don;t think as late as Christmas time of 2009.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/10 at 7:24 pm

I heavily doubt if Scott Brown is gonna run for president in 2012. Nobody even heard of Scott Brown I don;t think as late as Christmas time of 2009.

Yeah, well, you heard of him now, pal!
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/10 at 8:49 am

Nobody had heard of Sarah Palin until McCain picked her. Oh wait, maybe that isn't a good example.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/10 at 9:59 am

Glenn Beck is already stating he thinks a dead intern could be in Scott Brown's future... so no, I don't think the neocons back him

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 10:23 am

Nobody had heard of Sarah Palin until McCain picked her. Oh wait, maybe that isn't a good example.

Cat

OH SNAP!!!!!

;D

Written By: tv on 01/25/10 at 6:56 pm

I think Palin ruined her chances of winning any national office as soon as she resigned the governorship of Alaska.

Right after she resigned, I was sitting at a bar with a few of my redneck drinking buddies, and they were all kind of wringing their hands and saying stuff like, "I don't get it, why'd she resign?" and trying to think of ways to rationalize it when I suddenly smiled and blurted out, "Because she's a quitter! She's a f*cking QUITTER!" They all stopped and glared at me with the dirtiest of looks but said nothing, because they had no good comeback for that.

I have the feeling that if Palin tries to make another run at the White House, that the "quitter" label will be what ultimately sinks her.

Your right Sara did ruin her future chances of a presidential run by quitting as Governor of Alaska. In my opinion for Sarah Palin to win credibility back she has to spend some time in the House of Representatives or the US Senate.

The Republicans usually put their stakes in a presidential candidate thats ran for President before(i.e. Nixon, G.H.W Bush, and Reagan.) The Democrats have a habit of putting a hot commodity(an upcoming star)as their candidate(Clinton, Obama, JFK, Carter.)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/10 at 7:09 am

Your right Sara did ruin her future chances of a presidential run by quitting as Governor of Alaska. In my opinion for Sarah Palin to win credibility back she has to spend some time in the House of Representatives or the US Senate.

.....and that isn't gonna happen, at least not in Alaska.  They are done with her.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/10 at 3:20 pm

Your right Sara did ruin her future chances of a presidential run by quitting as Governor of Alaska.

She didn't quit. She said so herself. She isn't a quitter. She just stopped being governor because she didn't quit.

Cat

Written By: adagio on 02/01/10 at 9:43 am

Has anybody heard of the Conservative movement?  A Republican might run for President, but unless he is a strongly conservative nominee, he doesn't stand a chance.  The country has been slowly going downhill toward Progressivesism (or Marxism or Communisim or any bad 'ism' you can name ) ever since the 60's...Republicans are included in that trend.  So the ideal candidate would be a  maybe Repiblican who is more Conservative than the current crop...that doesn't cast out a stray Dem. who is very conservative.  All would have to uphold the Constution,  As for now, what I see is the Constitution being uphed only if it is convenient.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/10 at 12:36 pm

Has anybody heard of the Conservative movement?  A Republican might run for President, but unless he is a strongly conservative nominee, he doesn't stand a chance.  The country has been slowly going downhill toward Progressivesism (or Marxism or Communisim or any bad 'ism' you can name ) ever since the 60's...Republicans are included in that trend.  So the ideal candidate would be a  maybe Repiblican who is more Conservative than the current crop...that doesn't cast out a stray Dem. who is very conservative.  All would have to uphold the Constution,  As for now, what I see is the Constitution being uphed only if it is convenient.

The United States is the most conservative country in the industrialized world, except Singapore. 

One very conservative thing for you to do is learn how to spell "constitution" and "communism."
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/01/10 at 12:41 pm

The United States is the most conservative country in the industrialized world, except Singapore. 

One very conservative thing for you to do is learn how to spell "constitution" and "communism."

Unless you are Glenn Beck, then you use both words at the same time!

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/10 at 12:48 pm

And learn what they both mean.

Cat

Written By: adagio on 02/01/10 at 2:28 pm

None of these comments following mine is a true discussion  about what I said.  Does anyone on these threads ever get serious or do they just poo-poo the opposite view? :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/10 at 3:12 pm

None of these comments following mine is a true discussion  about what I said.  Does anyone on these threads ever get serious or do they just poo-poo the opposite view? :P

What you said totally doesn't make any sense. If the country is leaning towards Progressive-ism as you say it is, then why would only a strongly conservative Republican stand a chance. If the country was leaning toward the left, than any strongly conservative WOULDN'T stand a chance. And who says that Progressive-ism, Marxism & Communism are bad "isms". My guess it is the people who don't really know what they are. They bought into all the propaganda by the right leaning machine that started way back in the early 1900s and continued throughout the 20th century. This included the Red Scare of the 1920s & McCarthyism in the 1950s (talk about a bad "ism").

Personally I WISH this country was leaning more toward Progressive-ism. But it is not even close.

My point is, if you want to people to take your arguments seriously, please educate yourself as to what terms mean if you plan on using them in your argument.

Cat

Written By: adagio on 02/01/10 at 3:26 pm

If the country is leaning towards Progressive-ism as you say it is, then why would only a strongly conservative Republican stand a chance.

Conservatives are not Progressives. then of course a strongly Conservative Republican would restore the balance, snce they want to go BACK  to the Constitution

And who says that Progressive-ism, Marxism & Communism are bad "isms".

take a look at the countries that embrace them.

My guess it is the people who don't really know what they are.

Unfortunately for you, most Americans do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/10 at 3:39 pm

Conservatives are not Progressives. then of course a strongly Conservative Republican would restore the balance, snce they want to go BACK  to the Constitution

You are right that Conservatives are not Progressives but the rest of this statement does not make ANY sense whatsoever! I'm not even going to attempt to try to figure out what you mean.

That is because some of those countries DO NOT really embrace them. If you have studied political science you would understand.

Huh?  ???

Cat

Written By: adagio on 02/01/10 at 5:06 pm

You read it.  Read Glen Beck's book "Arguing With Idiots"

Written By: EthanM on 02/01/10 at 5:11 pm

Back to the actual topic...from what I've read about him Scott Brown might actually have more in common with Barack Obama than with Sarah Palin.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/10 at 5:33 pm

None of these comments following mine is a true discussion  about what I said.  Does anyone on these threads ever get serious or do they just poo-poo the opposite view? :P

poo-poo the opposite view?

She's a poet and she didn't know it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/multijump.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/10 at 6:04 pm

If I were to run for President in 2012, I might tap Sarah as my running mate.  :-X

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/10 at 6:29 pm

Has anybody heard of the Conservative movement?  A Republican might run for President, but unless he is a strongly conservative nominee, he doesn't stand a chance.  The country has been slowly going downhill toward Progressiveism (or Marxism or Communism or any bad 'ism' you can name ) ever since the 60's...Republicans are included in that trend.  So the ideal candidate would be a  maybe Republican who is more Conservative than the current crop...that doesn't cast out a stray Dem. who is very conservative.  All would have to uphold the Constitution,  As for now, what I see is the Constitution being upheld only if it is convenient.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wondered what this was all about.  Sorry Adagio, but you aren't making yourself very clear.  You say the country is going downhill toward "any bad ism you can name" means that you don't know which ism you feel it is sliding into, which means you don't understand enough about any of them to be able to differentiate, and there are significant differences.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/10 at 6:31 pm

If I were to run for President in 2012, I might tap Sarah as my running mate.   :-X

Tap that...or hit that(as in knocking boots kinda thang)    ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/01/10 at 7:38 pm

Did you know that it was Theodore Roosevelt who started the Progressive Movement?  Do you have any idea what Karl Marx had to say (see my thread in the TTT, ask, and ye shall be enlightened).  And what conservative policies would this ideal candidate of yours espouse that would be more conservative than, say what Rudie Geuliani (sp) advocates, or Mitt Romny, or Sara Palin (does she advocate any positions?)? 

I agree that under the previous (compassionate conservative) administration the constitution was considered something of an inconvenience, but you must admit that Obama has made efforts to remedy that.

But all things considered, your post is rather poorly thought out and demonstrates a good deal of ignorance as to politics, political science, and political ideologies. I don't say this to be cruel or condescending but rather to encourage you to educate yourself as to both what is going on currently and the meaning and principles of the groups you mention.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/10 at 7:54 pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wondered what this was all about.  Sorry Adagio, but you aren't making yourself very clear.  You say the country is going downhill toward "any bad ism you can name" means that you don't know which ism you feel it is sliding into, which means you don't understand enough about any of them to be able to differentiate, and there are significant differences.

I don't see evidence bearing out her premise that we have become more "progressive" since the 1960s.  John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and John Lennon were all assassinated.  I'm not speaking to any cohesive conspiracy against those men, but that politicians, political organizers, and countercultural icons inspire Americans to murder.  Moderates such as Jimmy Carter, Jerry Brown, and Dennis Kucinich are subjects of ridicule and considered "radicals" by self-identified conservatives.  Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were co-opted to favor corporatism above all else.  Our Supreme Court chief justice, John Roberts, is the most radically right-wing chief justice since Roger Taney, whose court ruled on Dredd Scott in 1857.

American culture worships military might, corporate power, celebrity, and rich people.  We are broke as a nation but still act like we enjoy the prestige of the superpower we were in the 1960s.  If you go to church seeking spiritual guidance, the emphasis is on material gain as a means to spiritual fulfillment.  

Basically, the United States is a fascist state that keeps popular resistance at bay by selling consumer choices as a substitute for true personal freedom.  Corporate America has gotten a bigger share of society's privileges than it ever dreamed of in the 1960s.  

I'm afraid the reason why Adagio is saying we are sliding into "progressivism" is the wealth corporations have stolen from the people of this country is not enough.  They are ravenous.  There is no such thing as enough.  Thus, they need to send pop culture right-wingers to spread the mendacious message that "progressives" are the big threat to America.  Glenn Beck has been on a tear about this for the past few months.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/10 at 9:42 am

Glenn Beck IS an idiot. You will NOT educate yourself if you listen to him, Rush, or Sean. There are many people out there (Conservatives as well as Liberals) who are NOT idiots that you are better off paying attention to-then these people.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/10 at 12:18 pm

Get thee to an exorcist!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/02/10 at 6:57 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Beck also supposedly wrote a book called "Common Sense" in which he claimed to be forwarding Patrick Henry's ideas, which, of course he had no knnowledge of, and was ripped over the coals for.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/10 at 11:47 pm

Has anybody heard of the Conservative movement? 

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
  - Barry Goldwater

OK, so I'll give the current "conservative movement" that.  And I'll give 'em props for it. 

A Republican might run for President, but unless he is a strongly conservative nominee, he doesn't stand a chance.  The country has been slowly going downhill toward Progressivesism (or Marxism or Communisim or any bad 'ism' you can name ) ever since the 60's...Republicans are included in that trend.

"You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight."
- Some progressive named Barry Goldwater, talking about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", decades before Clinton came out with DADT as a compromise.

OK, so this Barry guy's also a liberal like that "Barry" Obama.  If he was evern a Republican, he was a total RINO.  But this isn't about Obama's SOTU speech.  Except where it is.

If you're an American conservative, I'd argue that the First Amendment - that Congress shall make no law to establish any particular religion as being preferred by the State - is a pretty decent value worth conserving.  Me?  I'm not big on that whole "living document, it means whatever we want it to mean when we pass a law saying we changed our minds" thing. 

There's nothing necessarily conservative or progressive about enshrining religious values into law.  If you're a Quaker, it's progressive to be a conscientious objector to a war like Vietnam.  If you're a Muslim fundamentalist, it's conservative to ensure that your religion is enshrined in the constitution of post-Saddam Iraq.  It's a conservative position to let people take responsibility for their own values.  It's a religious position to say that some types of sex are icky.  They're not the same thing.

And while I'm at it...

"Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism."
- Yep, I'm quoting that pinko Barry Goldwater again.  Emanciwhatever of differences?  Sounds like those diversity freaks in HR!

OK, I'm being too hard on you with the Goldwater :)  But post-9/11-era conservatism has had a pretty despotic tinge to it, wouldn't you agree?  Can you imagine Reagan, the guy who said "tear down this wall", and who called the Soviets an "evil empire" when Jimmah Cahtuh was bending over backwards to embrace detente... can you imagine him - after having railed against the evils of the KGB and the fact that in the 1980s, the USSR had the most prisoners per capita of any nation on earth - can you imagine him seriously endorsing Bush-II-era policies like mass surveillance of the civilian population and torture?

(Ironic historical footnote - thanks in large part to Reagan's War on Some Drugs, the US now has the distinction of having more prisoners per capita than The USSRRussia, or even China.  But that's another thread.)

Anyways, your point is well-taken in that we lay the smack down on any politician who makes a hypocritical ass of themselves.  But to lay your serious point to rest, there are liberals and conservatives here.  We enjoy poo-pooing on people who believe silly things, but that doesn't mean we don't take real political debate lightly.

Flat-earthers will be mocked, but people who are genuinely interested in why we believe the earth is round (ships become invisible from the waterline first, and the mast last, when they sail over the horizon, the Greeks measured the diameter of the earth thousands of years ago by taking simultaneous measurements of solar angles from the bottom of wells, which you could replicate with a cellphone and a few grand, or for another $20K or so, you can buy a vacation that includes a ride in a fighter jet that flies high that you can see for yourself!) get taken seriously.

I'm a libertarian (small ("L")) conservative.  I don't care what you do with your body, as long as you don't do it to my body.  I don't care what God you worship, as long as you don't try to change the one (or none :) that I worship.  I also call myself on my own hypocrisy - like when I made $mumble by buying defense contractors and surveillance gear manufacturers during the start of the Gulf war, and I'm not too proud to laugh at myself when I screw up - like when I lost all of those war profits by believing that the government would inflate its debt away in 2008, devaluing the US Dollar.  (The USD skyrocketed during the Crash of 2008, and the more bailouts we handed out, the higher it went, and the lower stocks went.  LOL, I fail :)  Sucks to be me!)

Cite Glenn Beck, and we'll laugh. Cite why you agree with him, and on which points, and we'll be able to come back with something more articulate. 

(Carlos and Max, you're the perfect counterexample on the other side.  As a capitalist, most of the people who rail against corporatism have done so just as mindlessly as those who cite Beck or Limbaugh as exemplars of conservatism.  You guys are actually able to articulate what's wrong with corporatism, and in so articulating it, I'm able to realize there's common ground between us.  My problem as a capitalist is that I'm unable to convince any capitalists who matter that capitalism and corporatism aren't the same thing.  Probably because - as my little war profiteering adventure up there illustrates in miniature - any capitalists with sufficient capital are willing to swallow their pride for a few years in exchange for a doubling of their net worth, as long as they can hit the eject button before the crash :)

This is actually one of the most civilized political spaces I've ever encountered.  We laugh, we mock, but in the end, people on either side really do want to understand the other side's point of view.  (Otherwise we'dl just hang out in the pop-culture parts of the board, which are what brought us here in the first place :)  State your premises, and if your conclusions follow from those premises, that's all anyone here really asks for.  You can do no better; we expect no less.  We can, might, and often do disagree on premises, but as long as the argument itself is valid, you'll continue to do fine here. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/10 at 12:57 am

Thanks Foo Bar.

I also make the distinction between "free enterprise" and "capitalism" and "capitalism" and "too big to fail."

Who gets to be a capitalist?  Nobody who has to work for a living, that's who.  

That is, you can have investments and still not be a "capitalist" because you can't live off the dividends.  If you must sell your labor, you're not truly a capitalist.  This is debatable, of course.

Be a socialist.  They'll let you in if you listen to them bitch and moan about the capitalists!

I can't find the exact quote, but before he died Barry Goldwater told Newt Gingrich not to associate the Goldwater name with anything he was doing. 

The libertarian values individual above collective rights.  The capitalist class does not.  The real capitalist class values their collective rights above the other 99% of population.  They don't want food stamps for poor people because the poor need to learn how to stand on their own two feet, BUT they do want Uncle Sam to bail them out if they lose their money on bad bets.  They want the burglar who holds up the 7-11 to go to jail, but it's perfectly fine and dandy for them to hold up the U.S. treasury!
8)

Written By: EthanM on 02/03/10 at 1:26 am

"Every good Christian ought to kick Falwell in the ass"

- Barry Goldwater

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/10 at 9:21 am

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
  - Barry Goldwater

OK, so I'll give the current "conservative movement" that.  And I'll give 'em props for it. 

"You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight."
- Some progressive named Barry Goldwater, talking about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", decades before Clinton came out with DADT as a compromise.

OK, so this Barry guy's also a liberal like that "Barry" Obama.  If he was evern a Republican, he was a total RINO.  But this isn't about Obama's SOTU speech.  Except where it is.

If you're an American conservative, I'd argue that the First Amendment - that Congress shall make no law to establish any particular religion as being preferred by the State - is a pretty decent value worth conserving.  Me?  I'm not big on that whole "living document, it means whatever we want it to mean when we pass a law saying we changed our minds" thing. 

There's nothing necessarily conservative or progressive about enshrining religious values into law.  If you're a Quaker, it's progressive to be a conscientious objector to a war like Vietnam.  If you're a Muslim fundamentalist, it's conservative to ensure that your religion is enshrined in the constitution of post-Saddam Iraq.  It's a conservative position to let people take responsibility for their own values.  It's a religious position to say that some types of sex are icky.  They're not the same thing.

And while I'm at it...

"Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism."
- Yep, I'm quoting that pinko Barry Goldwater again.  Emanciwhatever of differences?  Sounds like those diversity freaks in HR!

OK, I'm being too hard on you with the Goldwater :)  But post-9/11-era conservatism has had a pretty despotic tinge to it, wouldn't you agree?  Can you imagine Reagan, the guy who said "tear down this wall", and who called the Soviets an "evil empire" when Jimmah Cahtuh was bending over backwards to embrace detente... can you imagine him - after having railed against the evils of the KGB and the fact that in the 1980s, the USSR had the most prisoners per capita of any nation on earth - can you imagine him seriously endorsing Bush-II-era policies like mass surveillance of the civilian population and torture?

(Ironic historical footnote - thanks in large part to Reagan's War on Some Drugs, the US now has the distinction of having more prisoners per capita than The USSRRussia, or even China.  But that's another thread.)

Anyways, your point is well-taken in that we lay the smack down on any politician who makes a hypocritical ass of themselves.  But to lay your serious point to rest, there are liberals and conservatives here.  We enjoy poo-pooing on people who believe silly things, but that doesn't mean we don't take real political debate lightly.

Flat-earthers will be mocked, but people who are genuinely interested in why we believe the earth is round (ships become invisible from the waterline first, and the mast last, when they sail over the horizon, the Greeks measured the diameter of the earth thousands of years ago by taking simultaneous measurements of solar angles from the bottom of wells, which you could replicate with a cellphone and a few grand, or for another $20K or so, you can buy a vacation that includes a ride in a fighter jet that flies high that you can see for yourself!) get taken seriously.

I'm a libertarian (small ("L")) conservative.  I don't care what you do with your body, as long as you don't do it to my body.  I don't care what God you worship, as long as you don't try to change the one (or none :) that I worship.  I also call myself on my own hypocrisy - like when I made $mumble by buying defense contractors and surveillance gear manufacturers during the start of the Gulf war, and I'm not too proud to laugh at myself when I screw up - like when I lost all of those war profits by believing that the government would inflate its debt away in 2008, devaluing the US Dollar.  (The USD skyrocketed during the Crash of 2008, and the more bailouts we handed out, the higher it went, and the lower stocks went.  LOL, I fail :)  Sucks to be me!)

Cite Glenn Beck, and we'll laugh. Cite why you agree with him, and on which points, and we'll be able to come back with something more articulate. 

(Carlos and Max, you're the perfect counterexample on the other side.  As a capitalist, most of the people who rail against corporatism have done so just as mindlessly as those who cite Beck or Limbaugh as exemplars of conservatism.  You guys are actually able to articulate what's wrong with corporatism, and in so articulating it, I'm able to realize there's common ground between us.  My problem as a capitalist is that I'm unable to convince any capitalists who matter that capitalism and corporatism aren't the same thing.  Probably because - as my little war profiteering adventure up there illustrates in miniature - any capitalists with sufficient capital are willing to swallow their pride for a few years in exchange for a doubling of their net worth, as long as they can hit the eject button before the crash :)

This is actually one of the most civilized political spaces I've ever encountered.  We laugh, we mock, but in the end, people on either side really do want to understand the other side's point of view.  (Otherwise we'dl just hang out in the pop-culture parts of the board, which are what brought us here in the first place :)  State your premises, and if your conclusions follow from those premises, that's all anyone here really asks for.  You can do no better; we expect no less.  We can, might, and often do disagree on premises, but as long as the argument itself is valid, you'll continue to do fine here. 

Karma.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/03/10 at 7:27 pm

- Barry Goldwater

(Carlos and Max, you're the perfect counterexample on the other side. You guys are actually able to articulate what's wrong with corporatism, and in so articulating it, I'm able to realize there's common ground between us. 

I think, when you cut to the chase with any normal, intelligent (non-politician) person, while there will be disagreements over means, there is usually agreement over the most basic ends. 

But Adagio seems to have "shot her wad" and retreated to the netherworld of the pop.  Too bad

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 8:24 am

Yes, I've heard of the Conservative movement it's quite disturbing really.  What is wrong with progress?  If you don't want progress kindly go to a country like Iran where progressive ideals are stomped down by a regime that knows nothing but how to put fear into the hearts of people.  As for the Constitution.  Would that be what fits your definition of how the constitution should be interpreted or the founding Fathers?  The Founding Fathers were quite progressive for their day.  Most were Deist or Unitarians and they were very hip to new ideals.  Case in point Thomas Jefferson owned a copy of the Koran.  Now if that isn't a progressive notion I don't know what is.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 8:26 am

I've engaged in debate with you before about your views and you don't consider it a serious discussion unless people agree with you.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 8:32 am

Conservatives fear any sort of progress.  Balance, no Conservative Republicans don't know the meaning of it that is why they are Conservatives.  Conserve not balance.  Btw your constant quest for the Constitution is about as lame as a tea party with Revolutionary War get-ups.

Take a look a Canada that progressive place that it is.  Very nice indeed. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 8:40 am

You can keep it, I prefer Common Sense by Thomas Paine.  Glenn Beck is too immature and uncultured for me to waste my time reading.

Written By: ninny on 02/07/10 at 9:00 am

I think being a Progressive Conservative is slight better than being a Traditional Conservative, buy you can keep both in my opinion. The Traditional Conservative is apparently still stuck in the 1700's, where is the Progressive Conservative wants change and may not listen to reason, but hopefully can compromise.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/10 at 9:44 am

Apparently, "Sister Sarah" (as Keith calls her) has to use a cheat sheet when asked a few "unrehearsed" questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcVMTZkTZQ

This is from the same woman who a few minutes earlier made a comment about Obama using a teleprompter as she was reading her speech from her notes. WTF??!!!!    ??? ??? ???

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/08/10 at 11:47 pm

Yes, I've heard of the Conservative movement it's quite disturbing really.  What is wrong with progress?  If you don't want progress kindly go to a country like Iran where progressive ideals are stomped down by a regime that knows nothing but how to put fear into the hearts of people.

Who cares what the proposal is, as long as it's "progressive", right?  I mean, who could possibly be against progress?

In other words, that's something I gotta call BS on.  Straight outta Orwell: the beauty of redefining the language is that the victims don't even know they're doing it. 

Conservatives, incidentally, are just as guilty of it as progressives.  The thing which is being "conserved", much like the thing to which "progressives" are progressing, is never explicitly defined.  Most conservatives typically imagine it as a 50s-era Leave It To Beaver utopia in which nothing bad ever happened, because nothing bad ever happened on TV, but by Glub, we were better than those Russians!  Social conservatives typically imagine it as a 4000-year-old utopia in which the God of the Israelites smote their enemies as long as they made their God happy, and in which that same God smote the Israelites whenever they deviated from the faith, and if it takes a theocracy more oppressive than Pharaonic Egypt to do it, that's the price of conserving traditional values.  Most progressives imagine a utopia in which the 60s ideals of peace, love, and unity are realized; fanatical progressives imagine a utopia in which if people can't figure out how to do it themselves, then by Glub, if it takes guns and a theocracy more oppressive than Kim Jong-Il's North Korea to make the New Socialist Man, well, as Stalin said, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

But thanks for illustrating the problem far better than I could have.

Orwell's 1946 essay Politics and the English Language should be required reading.  (When I rise to the position of Global Emperor, and am seated upon a throne made of the skulls of my enemies, I'll make that happen, because I demand a freethinking and educated populace! :) 

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/09/10 at 7:03 pm

Who cares what the proposal is, as long as it's "progressive", right?  I mean, who could possibly be against progress?

In other words, that's something I gotta call BS on.  Straight outta Orwell: the beauty of redefining the language is that the victims don't even know they're doing it. 

Conservatives, incidentally, are just as guilty of it as progressives.  The thing which is being "conserved", much like the thing to which "progressives" are progressing, is never explicitly defined.  Most conservatives typically imagine it as a 50s-era Leave It To Beaver utopia in which nothing bad ever happened, because nothing bad ever happened on TV, but by Glub, we were better than those Russians!  Social conservatives typically imagine it as a 4000-year-old utopia in which the God of the Israelites smote their enemies as long as they made their God happy, and in which that same God smote the Israelites whenever they deviated from the faith, and if it takes a theocracy more oppressive than Pharaonic Egypt to do it, that's the price of conserving traditional values.  Most progressives imagine a utopia in which the 60s ideals of peace, love, and unity are realized; fanatical progressives imagine a utopia in which if people can't figure out how to do it themselves, then by Glub, if it takes guns and a theocracy more oppressive than Kim Jong-Il's North Korea to make the New Socialist Man, well, as Stalin said, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

But thanks for illustrating the problem far better than I could have.

Orwell's 1946 essay Politics and the English Language should be required reading.  (When I rise to the position of Global Emperor, and am seated upon a throne made of the skulls of my enemies, I'll make that happen, because I demand a freethinking and educated populace! :) 

When one considers the fringes of U.S politics, your description is quite accurate, but only in describing the extreme fringes.  If you look at the history of "progressivism" and "conservatism" over the course of our history, progressives have favored the expansion of the suffrage and conservatives have opposed it, progressives have favored greater protections of working people, conservatives have opposed them, progressives have favored greater racial equality, conservatives have opposed it, so on many levels, what progressives and conservatives support has been quite clear and quite specific.  And on all of them, I have to come down on the progressive side.  As to current issues...I think the sides are clear.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/10 at 10:20 pm

When one considers the fringes of U.S politics, your description is quite accurate, but only in describing the extreme fringes.  If you look at the history of "progressivism" and "conservatism" over the course of our history, progressives have favored the expansion of the suffrage and conservatives have opposed it, progressives have favored greater protections of working people, conservatives have opposed them, progressives have favored greater racial equality, conservatives have opposed it, so on many levels, what progressives and conservatives support has been quite clear and quite specific.  And on all of them, I have to come down on the progressive side.  As to current issues...I think the sides are clear.

Former Congressman Tom Tancredo was just advocating literacy tests for suffrage the other day at the Teabagger convention.  We know what that's about!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/10/10 at 6:09 pm

Former Congressman Tom Tancredo was just advocating literacy tests for suffrage the other day at the Teabagger convention.  We know what that's about!
Next he'll advocate bringing back Plessy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/10 at 6:19 pm

Next he'll advocate bringing back Plessy.

Plessy?  Screw that!  Let's just repeal the 13th Amendment and be done with it!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/11/10 at 12:01 am

The problem with most post-9/11 conservatives (and most post-Woodstock progressives) is that they're unclear on why they fight for things they do.  Useful idiots abound on both sides of the aisle.

The conservatives who fought against racial equality were on the wrong side of history.  They were conserving something that wasn't worth conserving.  (And for the record, I'd lump the homophobes and other social conservatives in with that bunch.)  There was - and is - no rational or liberty-maximizing reason for those stances.  These were truly people standing athwart history, yelling "stop!"

The question is - why'd the progressives fight for it?  Because it maximized liberty?  Or because it was merely a path to more power?  Depends on which progressive you ask, and how far they were willing to go down the aisle.  Andrea Dworkin and Louis Farrakhan, for instance, had no interest whatsoever in maximizing liberty; they were extremists interested primarily in revenge - revenge even over power. 

To get us back on topic, that Brown guy?  I don't know enough about him.  But Palin?  No, we (economic-, as I can't speak for socio-)conservatives tried hiring a figurehead in the form of Bush II under the assumption that he'd merely do his father's (and by extension, his corporate masters') bidding.  It was a military disaster, and the military disaster turned into a Soviet-style economic disaster.  Palin?  No thanks.  The best-case scenario is that people behind Bush II are the same people behind Palin, and we all saw how that turned out.  If enough of the political class has deserted the Elephant Party that Palin would be given actual power, well, if you mash up with The Day After and The Handmaid's Tale, you're still probably being optimistic.

To get us back on the meta-topic, I kinda wish Adagio would show back up.  A sociocon who could articulate their view would be interesting.  We don't have to agree to understand each other. 

(I really can't speak for social conservatives, because I don't fully grok what they're trying to conserve.  Economically, I'm after a meritocracy, as opposed to a culture of learned helplesness prevents lower-class schlubs from working their way into the middle-class, and opposed to an economy in which taxes prevent middle-class schlubs from working their way into the upper class.  (...where I define "upper class" as "can live comfortably for the rest of their lives on their investments as long as the current system persists", not in terms of having actual political power.  To be pedantic, "lower-upper-class", as the real upper class is defined not only by wealth, but by power.  Lotta us middle-class schlubs would be happy to just have a Star Trek replicator to generate new toys and an infinite supply of beer, power be damned...) )

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/10 at 6:03 am

To get us back on topic, that Brown guy?  I don't know enough about him.  But Palin?  No, we (economic-, as I can't speak for socio-)conservatives tried hiring a figurehead in the form of Bush II under the assumption that he'd merely do his father's (and by extension, his corporate masters') bidding.  It was a military disaster, and the military disaster turned into a Soviet-style economic disaster.  Palin?  No thanks.  The best-case scenario is that people behind Bush II are the same people behind Palin, and we all saw how that turned out.  If enough of the political class has deserted the Elephant Party that Palin would be given actual power, well, if you mash up with The Day After and The Handmaid's Tale, you're still probably being optimistic.

The bushII people will be filtering out now, they will be attached to Brown, are now.  He is now the Republican Golden Boy.  He likes to say the word independent, but anyone who knows of him, and his record, knows that he is solidly in the repub camp, having voted with the 96% of the time.  He is good looking, has a pretty wife, and two pretty daughters.  He overcame what seems to be a pretty disfunctional family, and he tows the party line like a swimmer towing a rowboat with the rope between his teeth. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/10 at 1:15 am

The problem with most post-9/11 conservatives (and most post-Woodstock progressives) is that they're unclear on why they fight for things they do.  Useful idiots abound on both sides of the aisle.

The conservatives who fought against racial equality were on the wrong side of history.  They were conserving something that wasn't worth conserving.  (And for the record, I'd lump the homophobes and other social conservatives in with that bunch.)  There was - and is - no rational or liberty-maximizing reason for those stances.  These were truly people standing athwart history, yelling "stop!"

The question is - why'd the progressives fight for it?  Because it maximized liberty?  Or because it was merely a path to more power?  Depends on which progressive you ask, and how far they were willing to go down the aisle.  Andrea Dworkin and Louis Farrakhan, for instance, had no interest whatsoever in maximizing liberty; they were extremists interested primarily in revenge - revenge even over power. 

To get us back on the meta-topic, I kinda wish Adagio would show back up.  A sociocon who could articulate their view would be interesting.  We don't have to agree to understand each other. 

(I really can't speak for social conservatives, because I don't fully grok what they're trying to conserve.  Economically, I'm after a meritocracy, as opposed to a culture of learned helplesness prevents lower-class schlubs from working their way into the middle-class, and opposed to an economy in which taxes prevent middle-class schlubs from working their way into the upper class.  (...where I define "upper class" as "can live comfortably for the rest of their lives on their investments as long as the current system persists", not in terms of having actual political power.  To be pedantic, "lower-upper-class", as the real upper class is defined not only by wealth, but by power.  Lotta us middle-class schlubs would be happy to just have a Star Trek replicator to generate new toys and an infinite supply of beer, power be damned...) )

It's about POWER, dude!  That's what I've determined.  At the end of the day, it's all about raw, naked power.  The American right-wing was willing to admit that and so they were able to do the necessary evils to get and keep it.  The liberals (or progressives) genuinely believed there was a greater long-term good to be served.  Howard Zinn was a wonderful man, but if he called Uncle Sam and ordered a cashier's check for $300 billion no questions asked, they would have locked him up and thrown away the key.  Certain figures on the political left are figures the liberals would rather forget -- Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Hoffa, etc.  These were nasty guys, but they understood power, and they could get the job done, thus the did more to help the oppressed and vulnerable than Clinton or Obama could ever do.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/12/10 at 9:54 am

Wait, you're inferring that those that oppose you on the board are uneducated and simply "poo-pooing" the opposing view(which, if you know Cat & Carlos, you should know that they BOTH hold multiple degrees in forms of political science if memory serves) and you're basing your argument on a single book called "Arguing with Idiots"?  If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/10 at 12:37 pm

Wait, you're inferring that those that oppose you on the board are uneducated and simply "poo-pooing" the opposing view(which, if you know Cat & Carlos, you should know that they BOTH hold multiple degrees in forms of political science if memory serves) and you're basing your argument on a single book called "Arguing with Idiots"?  If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is???

Beck's book should be Arguing for Idiots!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/10 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence but Carlos is the multiple degree holder. He has his PhD in Latin American History & a ABD (All But Dissertation) in Sociology. I only have a B.A. in History but I do have some grad work under my belt but never did finish up my M.A. (which maybe someday I will-or not :-\\ ).

Cat

Written By: tv on 02/12/10 at 5:53 pm

I see that Scott Brown in a 2012 poll for the Republican Nomination for President is in the top 10 currently in a Gallup survey.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/10 at 6:25 pm

I see that Scott Brown in a 2012 poll for the Republican Nomination for President is in the top 10 currently in a Gallup survey.

He is writing his autobio, and if he toes the party line he will be the next president.

Written By: tv on 02/12/10 at 6:36 pm

He is writing his autobio, and if he toes the party line he will be the next president.
I;m surprised Brown has gotten this big this fast. I didn;t see this coming with him being in the Top 10 in a Gallup Survey for the 2012 Republican Nomination for President.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/10 at 6:58 pm

You can call an optimist but there were lots of "progressives" on that Edmond Pettis bridge on bloody Sunday who weren't there for power or even recognition, they were there for freedom, and you know as well as I that there are hundreds more examples - do the name Medger Evers ring a bell?  And, quite frankly, I find it offensive to include Femfascist Dworkin and racist Farrikhan within the pantheon of progressives.

Here I agree with you.  In fact I thought that my response to her original post was an invitation.  I guess she didn't see it that way.

As you present the options, I agree with you, but I see many more options.  I remember a passage from a ML King speech, which I can only paraphrase: It is a fine thing to ask a man to pull himself by his bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to ask a shoeless man to pull himself up by his bootstraps.  Many have argues, especially lately, that the "playing field" is now level, that poor people have as much opportunity as anyone.  You know, and I know that it just ain't so.  I'll put this in biological terms.  After Castro took power, the infant mortality rate in Cuba dropped like a rock, and is now better than for black people in the U.S.  But the birth weight of Cuban babies lags behind that in developed countries - why?  It's called the effect of historical hunger.  Do you think that there aren't effects of historical poverty?  Or worse, contemporary poverty?  I have seen it up front and personal in high school drop-outs in a fed program (COPE) during the '60s.  Teenage kids who could count $$$ down to the cent and never get short changed (but would try to short change you) but ask them to do the same math on paper, and they would get it wrong - on purpose.  It's call "The Culture of Poverty" (Oscar Lewis invented the term).  So when we have a society that really does afford equal opportunity to all its members, then you can talk to me about a meritocracy.  In the mean time you are saying F*** the poor, and therefore, in my opinion, you ARE on the same side as those conservatives that you panned in your first paragraph.  Please understand that I do not mean this as a personal attack, just something to think about that I probably could have worded better.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/10 at 7:06 pm

Degrees smagrees.  Sure, you can learn a lot by pursuing degrees, but what is important in all that is thinking critically and logically, paying attention to facts (rather than making them up, and communicating clearly.  If we do that, our degrees are just not relevant.  Mine got me a few very cushie jobs and a great retirement package, and lots of fun in the process (like a year in Chile, trips back, and to Mexico, Peru, Ecuador etc).  In them selves, our degrees are no cause for any special anything.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/10 at 7:08 pm

I'll believe that when I see it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/10 at 1:01 am

I;m surprised Brown has gotten this big this fast. I didn;t see this coming with him being in the Top 10 in a Gallup Survey for the 2012 Republican Nomination for President.

He'll probably appoint his truck chief of staff. 

Caligula made his horse consul.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/15/10 at 10:11 pm

It's called the effect of historical hunger.  Do you think that there aren't effects of historical poverty?  Or worse, contemporary poverty?  I have seen it up front and personal in high school drop-outs in a fed program (COPE) during the '60s.  Teenage kids who could count $$$ down to the cent and never get short changed (but would try to short change you) but ask them to do the same math on paper, and they would get it wrong - on purpose.  It's call "The Culture of Poverty" (Oscar Lewis invented the term).

Actually, I'm glad you brought it up, and not me, because when white middle-class dudes like me bring it up, we get called racists :) 

So when we have a society that really does afford equal opportunity to all its members, then you can talk to me about a meritocracy.  In the mean time you are saying F*** the poor, and therefore, in my opinion, you ARE on the same side as those conservatives that you panned in your first paragraph.  Please understand that I do not mean this as a personal attack, just something to think about that I probably could have worded better.

Not taken as an attack, by the way.  Didn't come across as one. 

The ironic thing is that when (small-L) liberals ask "What's wrong with Kansas", they don't get called out as racists.  In fairness to those who yell "racist", when (social) conservatives ask "What's wrong with New Orleans or Los Angeles", they are ignoring Kansas. 

Problem is, when (economic) conservatives bring it up - and by which I'm trying to mean "anti-intellectualism, be it from poor black people, hispanic people, or (assumed white) creationist fundie folks", we get lumped in with the sociocons who think that if only everyone would go with their brand of anti-intellectualism, the world'd be a better place.

You can have equality of opportunity within a culture.  You can't have it in a nation-state that houses multiple cultures, where some of those cultures regards success as a counter-cultural value.  The black kid who says "Hey, I can't do math, that's a white thing!" is failing in the same mode as the stereotypical "Hey, them Godless Librulz iz teachin' our kids biology!". 

When self-segregating racial groups have nothing other than their own identities upon which to fall back ("I may not be able to do math, but I's keepin' it real, yo!" and "The Lord will provide as long as a'hm faithful enuff, and at least I didn't go to Yooniversity with them Intellectewelz!"), a society's rulers run the risk of the proverbial fit hitting the shan.  As a counterbalance, masses of drooling imbeclines who self-segregate into predictable voting blocs are a lot easier to control than hundreds of millions of fhreethinkers.  I have no idea how the situation resolves itself, nor even whether it's a system in stable or unstable equilibrium. 

But yeah, you're onto something important.  Not that that constitutes a solution, but at least you recognize the problem.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/10 at 5:57 pm

I have only heard white people say that black people say academic achievement is "acting white."  That's not quite true.  I have heard black people say so when they have been hired to speak on behalf of whites who say so.  Furthermore, I can't imagine why a black person would use his race as an excuse for why he can't do math.  He might point the finger at "the system" in lieu of taking responsibility, but why would he call himself racially inferior?  Doesn't make sense. 
???

"What's the matter with Kansas?" was a trenchant question because it had not been asked.  The problems plaguing the slums of New York, Chicago, and L.A. were splashed all over the nightly news for everyone to see.  "Kansas" was synonymous with the "Heartland."  Small-town America was exalted as the place where decent, hard-working, church-going Americans lived.  Auntie Em.  Herb Clutter.  Good, industrious folks who tilled the soil and said grace before dinner.  Then Thomas Frank, a native Kansan comes along and says, "let's take a closer look at the Heartland."  On scrutiny, we find serious problems with deindustrialization, mega-farms, poverty, drug abuse, crime, bigotry, religious zealotry, and so on. 

There's enough blame to go around for everybody.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/17/10 at 9:09 pm

Actually, I'm glad you brought it up, and not me, because when white middle-class dudes like me bring it up, we get called racists :) 

Not taken as an attack, by the way.  Didn't come across as one. 

The ironic thing is that when (small-L) liberals ask "What's wrong with Kansas", they don't get called out as racists.  In fairness to those who yell "racist", when (social) conservatives ask "What's wrong with New Orleans or Los Angeles", they are ignoring Kansas. 

Problem is, when (economic) conservatives bring it up - and by which I'm trying to mean "anti-intellectualism, be it from poor black people, hispanic people, or (assumed white) creationist fundie folks", we get lumped in with the sociocons who think that if only everyone would go with their brand of anti-intellectualism, the world'd be a better place.

You can have equality of opportunity within a culture.  You can't have it in a nation-state that houses multiple cultures, where some of those cultures regards success as a counter-cultural value.  The black kid who says "Hey, I can't do math, that's a white thing!" is failing in the same mode as the stereotypical "Hey, them Godless Librulz iz teachin' our kids biology!". 

When self-segregating racial groups have nothing other than their own identities upon which to fall back ("I may not be able to do math, but I's keepin' it real, yo!" and "The Lord will provide as long as a'hm faithful enuff, and at least I didn't go to Yooniversity with them Intellectewelz!"), a society's rulers run the risk of the proverbial fit hitting the shan.  As a counterbalance, masses of drooling imbeclines who self-segregate into predictable voting blocs are a lot easier to control than hundreds of millions of fhreethinkers.  I have no idea how the situation resolves itself, nor even whether it's a system in stable or unstable equilibrium. 

But yeah, you're onto something important.  Not that that constitutes a solution, but at least you recognize the problem.

i guess I need to clarify.  The kids I worked with were all hispanic teens, all of whom thought of themselves as stupid because all their teachers in the Newark NJ public schools told them they were, and recorded those judgments in their records.  So these kids had become accustomed to failure, they were used to it and expected it.  They knew how to handle it.  Success was frightening.  Its all part of the culture of poverty, which is NOT a legitimate culture but rather a byproduct of our crony-capitalism and the legacy and reality of our racist heritage and racist present.  You seem to look at it and say "se'i le vie" (???) but that just ain't good enough as far as I'm concerned.  You can't just say "well, that's just how they are" and walk away, that's blaming the victim, and it's just not right.  While I imply no analogy, I wonder how many Einsteins were gassed in Hitler's ovens, how many were lynched in our own USA, and how many are now being wasted through lack of opportunity.  And that goes for those redneck anti-intellectual whites as well as people of color.  They suffer from that same culture of poverty in a slightly different manifestation.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/18/10 at 1:51 am

i guess I need to clarify.  The kids I worked with were all hispanic teens, all of whom thought of themselves as stupid because all their teachers in the Newark NJ public schools told them they were, and recorded those judgments in their records.  So these kids had become accustomed to failure, they were used to it and expected it.  They knew how to handle it.  Success was frightening.  Its all part of the culture of poverty, which is NOT a legitimate culture but rather a byproduct of our crony-capitalism and the legacy and reality of our racist heritage and racist present. 

Ah, I think I get it.  And if you're going there, I can totally buy learned helplessness as one of the root causes of the culture of poverty.  (And I can also buy that I was being shortsighted by stopping at "Hey, it's a cultural thing, they're screwed until they figure it out for themselves..."  Holy crap, did someone just admit they were wrong on the Internet?  :)

I'm also a big believer in learned helplessness as an important part of behavioral finance and economics.  In my copious free time, I've done those sorts of boneheaded moves more times than I'm proud of - getting a fundamental case about some stock, and just watching my coin dribble away while the catalyst never actually occurs.

But learned helplessness is a phenomenon relating to loss of control.  Whether that loss of control comes from racism or just the roll of the dice is irrelevant; it's a phenomenon that's common across much of the animal kingdom, humans included.

You seem to look at it and say "se'i le vie" (???) but that just ain't good enough as far as I'm concerned.  You can't just say "well, that's just how they are" and walk away, that's blaming the victim, and it's just not right.

("C'est la vie", lit., "That's life..." in French, but yeah, I do say it :)

There's two things going on here - first, guilty as charged on just letting it happen.  Second - is the reason. 

For the record, if my reasoning were "well, that's just how they are", you'd actually be on good grounds for calling racism.  (or, to quote the Unquotable, "the soft bigotry of low expectations"), but it's nothing so interesting.

Sadly, my acceptance of the waste of potential isn't founded on any grand philosophical argument, just the observation that 99.9999% of us really are just cogs in the machine.  The older I get, the more I realize I also turned out to be just another cog.  But... that's also life.  The world needs dot-commers too.  (The whole IT industry is ditch-digging on a somewhat nerdier scale.  Need to dig a ditch faster than the other guy?  Leave enough coffee by the cubicle that says "Shovel 2.0 under development", and someone'll build you one.  I'm lucky in that they pay me better than the guy who digs ditches, and that I happen to enjoy making shovels.  But that last part is luck, not skill...)

While I imply no analogy, I wonder how many Einsteins were gassed in Hitler's ovens, how many were lynched in our own USA, and how many are now being wasted through lack of opportunity.  And that goes for those redneck anti-intellectual whites as well as people of color.  They suffer from that same culture of poverty in a slightly different manifestation.

Well, that, too, is life.  And it's one of the reasons I lean towards the small-government end of the spectrum - if you aggregate the body count across the entire planet and the entire century, you were actually more likely to be killed by the actions of your own government than by anything the other guy's government ever did.  (O rly?  Well, Ya rly.  Nothing left/right there - it's a 50/50 split between communism and other -isms, at about 90M apiece.  But it's about a 66/33 split between "your own government killing you or starving you" and "getting killed, whether civilian or military, in a war"... but that's another thread... :)

To draw back from the hyperbolic, I really am actually annoyed at the waste you describe, because it really is a horrible waste of potential.  Without smart people inventing new toys, there's no productivity improvement, no economic growth, and without a return, why invest?  It also means we're doing something Very Wrong in our educational system - problem is, No Child Left Behind has turned into No Child Gets Ahead.  We teach by rote, to the test, and we don't actually encourage thinking or innovation. 

When we outsourced our skilled manufacturing industries, we got rid of our ability to perform engineering with it.  Short term ROI wasn't bad on that, but on generational timespans, we boned ourselves.  (To borrow a space analogy, we're at a point where China was in the 1400s - having sailed out to North America, they decided there was nothing there worth doing, and burned their ships long before Columbus showed up.  It's ironic that China's not going to make the same mistake twice, but the space thread's that-a-way...)

As far as ROI goes, it's cheaper to invest in human capital than it is to lock someone up for a lifetime -- but if you've got multiple classes of people who have adopted learned helplessness as their only coping mechanism, you're not going to be able to make that investment.  In a culture of wannabe-Paris-Hiltons, where people are valued not for their accomplishments, but merely for being famous... well, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make 'er think. 

I don't pretend to have a solution to the problem (as you've ascertained, I gave up long ago and just resigned myself to the idiocy), but I'd be curious as to yours.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/10 at 7:48 pm

Ah, I think I get it.  And if you're going there, I can totally buy learned helplessness as one of the root causes of the culture of poverty.  (And I can also buy that I was being shortsighted by stopping at "Hey, it's a cultural thing, they're screwed until they figure it out for themselves..."  Holy crap, did someone just admit they were wrong on the Internet?  :)

I'm also a big believer in learned helplessness as an important part of behavioral finance and economics.  In my copious free time, I've done those sorts of boneheaded moves more times than I'm proud of - getting a fundamental case about some stock, and just watching my coin dribble away while the catalyst never actually occurs.

But learned helplessness is a phenomenon relating to loss of control.  Whether that loss of control comes from racism or just the roll of the dice is irrelevant; it's a phenomenon that's common across much of the animal kingdom, humans included.

You seem to look at it and say "se'i le vie" (???) but that just ain't good enough as far as I'm concerned.  You can't just say "well, that's just how they are" and walk away, that's blaming the victim, and it's just not right.

("C'est la vie", lit., "That's life..." in French, but yeah, I do say it :)

There's two things going on here - first, guilty as charged on just letting it happen.  Second - is the reason. 

For the record, if my reasoning were "well, that's just how they are", you'd actually be on good grounds for calling racism.  (or, to quote the Unquotable, "the soft bigotry of low expectations"), but it's nothing so interesting.

Sadly, my acceptance of the waste of potential isn't founded on any grand philosophical argument, just the observation that 99.9999% of us really are just cogs in the machine.  The older I get, the more I realize I also turned out to be just another cog.  But... that's also life.  The world needs dot-commers too.  (The whole IT industry is ditch-digging on a somewhat nerdier scale.  Need to dig a ditch faster than the other guy?  Leave enough coffee by the cubicle that says "Shovel 2.0 under development", and someone'll build you one.  I'm lucky in that they pay me better than the guy who digs ditches, and that I happen to enjoy making shovels.  But that last part is luck, not skill...)

Well, that, too, is life.  And it's one of the reasons I lean towards the small-government end of the spectrum - if you aggregate the body count across the entire planet and the entire century, you were actually more likely to be killed by the actions of your own government than by anything the other guy's government ever did.  (O rly?  Well, Ya rly.  Nothing left/right there - it's a 50/50 split between communism and other -isms, at about 90M apiece.  But it's about a 66/33 split between "your own government killing you or starving you" and "getting killed, whether civilian or military, in a war"... but that's another thread... :)

To draw back from the hyperbolic, I really am actually annoyed at the waste you describe, because it really is a horrible waste of potential.  Without smart people inventing new toys, there's no productivity improvement, no economic growth, and without a return, why invest?  It also means we're doing something Very Wrong in our educational system - problem is, No Child Left Behind has turned into No Child Gets Ahead.  We teach by rote, to the test, and we don't actually encourage thinking or innovation. 

When we outsourced our skilled manufacturing industries, we got rid of our ability to perform engineering with it.  Short term ROI wasn't bad on that, but on generational timespans, we boned ourselves.  (To borrow a space analogy, we're at a point where China was in the 1400s - having sailed out to North America, they decided there was nothing there worth doing, and burned their ships long before Columbus showed up.  It's ironic that China's not going to make the same mistake twice, but the space thread's that-a-way...)

As far as ROI goes, it's cheaper to invest in human capital than it is to lock someone up for a lifetime -- but if you've got multiple classes of people who have adopted learned helplessness as their only coping mechanism, you're not going to be able to make that investment.  In a culture of wannabe-Paris-Hiltons, where people are valued not for their accomplishments, but merely for being famous... well, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make 'er think. 

I don't pretend to have a solution to the problem (as you've ascertained, I gave up long ago and just resigned myself to the idiocy), but I'd be curious as to yours.

Eloquently stated, from a cynical point of view, although I do agree with your comments re education, but education IS the solution, if there is one.  further than that, its hard to go because there is no ONE solution.  But there are some road signs.  There was an experiment in which one teacher's observations about her students were "scrambled" so that those identified as slow got transferred to those identified as bright, and vice verse.  Guess  what?  those reversed observations turned out to be correct.  People live up, or down to the expectations of others, especially kids. 

I also agree with your Paris Hilton example, and I have no idea how one can counter that appeal in a free society.  I'm about to finish a biography of Einstein and have been reminded of what a celebrity he became even though "nobody" understood his theories.  As a kid in the '50s, I remember wanting to meet him.  But that was then.  We see so much more anti-intellectualism as time goes on that it is just mind boggling.  Maybe your cynicism is justified.  I hope not.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/18/10 at 9:33 pm

Eloquently stated, from a cynical point of view, although I do agree with your comments re education, but education IS the solution, if there is one.

Well, on a brighter note, I saw this today.

There's probably some workable common ground there.  Most of the rationale amongst "the right" in favor of things like private school vouchers or other similar measures (and standardized testing was one of them) is that it provides incentives for teachers to perform.  (and conversely, most of the rhetoric from the NEA is centered around a policy goal of keeping the number of administrators and teachers high, and making it damn near impossible to fire 'em, even if Johnny still can't read.)

The fundamental business fallacy made by advocates of standardized testing was that you can only get the results you measure.  If you had a system in which you changed nothing about the way classes were taught, but tested whether Johnny could read, you'd be able to find the bad teachers.  Problem was, all teachers - even the good ones - are more than capable of changing the ways in which classes are taught.  In the end, you got a system in which teachers were rewarded, not for whether Johnny could read or not, but for whether or not their class scores were high enough.  If Johnny leaves school, or we can find some loophole by which he doesn't have to take the test, he can't bring the class score down!

NCLB's like paying a QA guy $10 for every bug he identifies in testing, and a programmer $10 for every bug fixed.  You get what you measure: in that case, Joe Coder starts making all kinds of silly typos so that Sally Tester, one cubicle over, can easily find 'em, and so that he can also share in the rewards for fixing 10 bugs per day, rather than one bug per day.  Measured in terms of "bugs found per day" and "bugs fixed per day", both Joe and Sally are scoring much higher, even though they're enormously less productive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 11:04 pm

There's probably some workable common ground there.  Most of the rationale amongst "the right" in favor of things like private school vouchers or other similar measures (and standardized testing was one of them) is that it provides incentives for teachers to perform.  (and conversely, most of the rhetoric from the NEA is centered around a policy goal of keeping the number of administrators and teachers high, and making it damn near impossible to fire 'em, even if Johnny still can't read.)

The fundamental business fallacy made by advocates of standardized testing was that you can only get the results you measure.  If you had a system in which you changed nothing about the way classes were taught, but tested whether Johnny could read, you'd be able to find the bad teachers.  Problem was, all teachers - even the good ones - are more than capable of changing the ways in which classes are taught.  In the end, you got a system in which teachers were rewarded, not for whether Johnny could read or not, but for whether or not their class scores were high enough.  If Johnny leaves school, or we can find some loophole by which he doesn't have to take the test, he can't bring the class score down!

NCLB's like paying a QA guy $10 for every bug he identifies in testing, and a programmer $10 for every bug fixed.  You get what you measure: in that case, Joe Coder starts making all kinds of silly typos so that Sally Tester, one cubicle over, can easily find 'em, and so that he can also share in the rewards for fixing 10 bugs per day, rather than one bug per day.  Measured in terms of "bugs found per day" and "bugs fixed per day", both Joe and Sally are scoring much higher, even though they're enormously less productive.

NCLB was a shuck thrown at the masses by royalists who don't give a flying fark whether Johnny can't read or not.  The clowns in Dubya's circle don't even support the idea of public education.  They say so themselves.  The future doesn't belong to Johnny.  The future belongs to Throckmorton and Wilburforce who go to Choate and Exeter.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/thumb/a/ab/James_Bottomtooth_iv.jpg/180px-James_Bottomtooth_iv.jpg

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/10 at 10:49 pm

NCLB was a shuck thrown at the masses by royalists who don't give a flying fark whether Johnny can't read or not.  The clowns in Dubya's circle don't even support the idea of public education.  They say so themselves.  The future doesn't belong to Johnny.  The future belongs to Throckmorton and Wilburforce who go to Choate and Exeter.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/thumb/a/ab/James_Bottomtooth_iv.jpg/180px-James_Bottomtooth_iv.jpg

Max's cynicism makes sense here.  I don't think that there can be any kind of institutional solution to the education problem, especially in overcoming the legacy and reality of the disabilities imposed by poverty and racism.  And still, I maintain that education is the answer.  Back in the 1830's, an artisan (I forget which trade) named Thomas Skidmore proposed a boarding school public education program where every student would be undistinguished from every other. Same cloths, same treatment, same spending $$, no class differences would be manifested.  He also proposed that there would be no inheritance, but that every child, on coming of age, would receive a bequest appropriate to their chosen vocation.  What he was proposing sounds a lot like a meritocracy to me, although as a parent and grand parent I guess I'd like to pass some things on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/10 at 11:24 pm

Max's cynicism makes sense here.  I don't think that there can be any kind of institutional solution to the education problem, especially in overcoming the legacy and reality of the disabilities imposed by poverty and racism.  And still, I maintain that education is the answer.  Back in the 1830's, an artisan (I forget which trade) named Thomas Skidmore proposed a boarding school public education program where every student would be undistinguished from every other. Same cloths, same treatment, same spending $$, no class differences would be manifested.  He also proposed that there would be no inheritance, but that every child, on coming of age, would receive a bequest appropriate to their chosen vocation.  What he was proposing sounds a lot like a meritocracy to me, although as a parent and grand parent I guess I'd like to pass some things on.

Exactly my point.  That's why I used the term "royalist."  They want plutocracy not meritocracy.  That's why they hate guys like George Soros and Warren Buffet.  These guys have the money, but they won't toe the line.  Heck, Warren Buffet cut his own sons off with a mere one billion dollars apiece. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused5.gif

Even the irony of that didn't give them pause!  It's the idea alone that rich families shouldn't accumulate as much money as possible that is anathema to the royalists. 

Do you think either George Bush would have become President of the United States if we had a true meritocracy?  I don't think so!  Meritocracy for the poor.  Free pass for the rich.  That's the Republican way!
8)

And I don't mean to be cynical.  It is the royalists and their supporters who are the true cynics.  I'm just making an observation.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/10 at 8:21 pm

Exactly my point.  That's why I used the term "royalist."  They want plutocracy not meritocracy.  That's why they hate guys like George Soros and Warren Buffet.  These guys have the money, but they won't toe the line.  Heck, Warren Buffet cut his own sons off with a mere one billion dollars apiece. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused5.gif

Even the irony of that didn't give them pause!  It's the idea alone that rich families shouldn't accumulate as much money as possible that is anathema to the royalists. 

Do you think either George Bush would have become President of the United States if we had a true meritocracy?  I don't think so!  Meritocracy for the poor.  Free pass for the rich.  That's the Republican way!
8)

And I don't mean to be cynical.  It is the royalists and their supporters who are the true cynics.  I'm just making an observation.

This might be the beginning of a solution.  Free public education for all, through graduate school if the student can cut the mustard.  Standard uniforms for all students - jeans and tee/sweat shirts, no exceptions.  100% inheritance tax on financial resources (family heirlooms excluded (like my great grandfather's mustache cup, or my mother's wedding ring).  Let every kid start with a good education in an environment that stresses equality, and with as small a silver spoon as possible.  Then we can talk about meritocracy.  With thanks to Thomas Skidmore, who was an iron master.

Thanks Max

Written By: danootaandme on 02/23/10 at 8:49 am

This might be the beginning of a solution.  Free public education for all, through graduate school if the student can cut the mustard.  Standard uniforms for all students - jeans and tee/sweat shirts, no exceptions.  100% inheritance tax on financial resources (family heirlooms excluded (like my great grandfather's mustache cup, or my mother's wedding ring).  Let every kid start with a good education in an environment that stresses equality, and with as small a silver spoon as possible.  Then we can talk about meritocracy.  With thanks to Thomas Skidmore, who was an iron master.

Thanks Max

The new trend, that has been slowly evolving, is economic desegregation.  We all know that the rich retreat to enclaves that enable them to publicly finance better public schools than the ghettoized poor.  You can live in the same city, but the neighborhood schools can be markedly different.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/10 at 7:49 pm

The new trend, that has been slowly evolving, is economic desegregation.  We all know that the rich retreat to enclaves that enable them to publicly finance better public schools than the ghettoized poor.  You can live in the same city, but the neighborhood schools can be markedly different.

Absolutely...but I think you mean segregation?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/10 at 8:30 pm

The new trend, that has been slowly evolving, is economic desegregation.  We all know that the rich retreat to enclaves that enable them to publicly finance better public schools than the ghettoized poor.  You can live in the same city, but the neighborhood schools can be markedly different.

Danoota, I am not sure what state you live in, maybe that's the case.

Here in Pennsylvania the state school subsidies are massive.  If your school is a "rich school" you simply get a lower state subsidy.

In PA, the "poor school districts" by far spend more $$$ (combined local funds and state subsidy) per student than do the "rich" schools.

In my county, Aliquippa School District has the highest $/student spending ($12,282), and the WORST test scores (proficiency rates of 42%-45%).  On the other end, affluent Center Area School District spends $8,200 per pupil, and proficieny rates are 81%-83%.  Pittsburgh School District spends over $15,000 per student, yet proficiency scores are barely above 50%.

To point... I just ran the numbers for all school districts in Pennsylvania.  The basic result is that there is almost no statistical correlation between spending per student and test scores.  In my county it is even worse... the higher the spending the lower the student test scores.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/10 at 8:58 pm

Here in Pennsylvania the state school subsidies are massive.  If your school is a "rich school" you simply get a lower state subsidy.

In PA, the "poor school districts" by far spend more $$$ (combined local funds and state subsidy) per student than do the "rich" schools.

In my county, Aliquippa School District has the highest $/student spending ($12,282), and the WORST test scores (proficiency rates of 42%-45%).  On the other end, affluent Center Area School District spends $8,200 per pupil, and proficieny rates are 81%-83%.  Pittsburgh School District spends over $15,000 per student, yet proficiency scores are barely above 50%.

To point... I just ran the numbers for all school districts in Pennsylvania.  The basic result is that there is almost no statistical correlation between spending per student and test scores.  In my county it is even worse... the higher the spending the lower the student test scores.

More to the point...a community is like a body.  It has a palpable life and soul.  If you're going to school hungry and you couldn't sleep last night because the gangs were shooting it out, you're not going to be able to do a whole lot of learning. 

The higher per pupil expenditure rates in impoverished communities are often cited as excuses for cutting the education budgets.  The PPE numbers do not take into account the real factors of poverty in America. 

I recommend Jonathan Kozol, who wrote Savage Inequalities about public education in poor communities 20 years ago.  Kozol has followed the subject closely in the ensuing decades and has spent much time in such schools.  YouTube has several videos of him speaking.  Watch them.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/23/10 at 9:52 pm

More to the point...a community is like a body.  It has a palpable life and soul.  If you're going to school hungry and you couldn't sleep last night because the gangs were shooting it out, you're not going to be able to do a whole lot of learning. 

The higher per pupil expenditure rates in impoverished communities are often cited as excuses for cutting the education budgets.  The PPE numbers do not take into account the real factors of poverty in America. 

I recommend Jonathan Kozol, who wrote Savage Inequalities about public education in poor communities 20 years ago.  Kozol has followed the subject closely in the ensuing decades and has spent much time in such schools.  YouTube has several videos of him speaking.  Watch them.

I was going to say much the same thing.  Thanks Max

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/10 at 12:07 pm

Exactly.  You can also add into the equation that in many inner city schools the best teaching candidates are passed over for the politically connected not so qualified candidates.  Yes, hard to believe, but it is very true, and I myself suffered under the weight of some of these who were not only unqualified, but true racists as well, for I had some of those.  Start with Jonathan Kozols "Death at an Early Age" about the Boston school system in the 60s, I was lucky enough not to have gone there, but know some who did.  Deeply Disturbing.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/27/10 at 1:42 pm

You fail to mention political favoritism for certain areas.  That has more to do with subsidies than most anything.  Philadelphia pretty much gets whatever they want because of the political influence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/10 at 3:08 am

You fail to mention political favoritism for certain areas.  That has more to do with subsidies than most anything.  Philadelphia pretty much gets whatever they want because of the political influence.

What?  You can't say there's any corruption in Harrisburg.  Everybody gets treated just about the same, I heard!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_albino.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/28/10 at 7:37 am

What?  You can't say there's any corruption in Harrisburg.  Everybody gets treated just about the same, I heard!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_albino.gif

You don't work there. :P 

Check for new replies or respond here...