» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: UK Defence Secretary Hints At May 6 2010 Election

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/10 at 10:07 am

The Defence Secretary has given a clear indication to Sky's Adam Boulton that the General Election will be held on May 6.

"I think the British public will wake up and rue the day if they wind up with a Conservative government in charge of this country after May 6," Bob Ainsworth said.

Bookmaker Coral suspended betting on date of the election.

Spokesman David Stevens said: "The month of May had been the odds-on favourite prior to Bob Ainsworth's comments on Sky News, and his mention of May 6th as the crucial date was enough for us to close the book."

Mr Ainsworth is not the first minister to appear to give away the date of the election.

Earlier this month Europe Minister Chris Bryant told diplomats discussing recent tensions between Britain and countries including Venezuela: "I hope that by the time of the general election on May 6, relations will have improved."

Later, he told Sky News that he had "no idea" when the election would be.

Sky's political correspondent Joey Jones said: "It's the sort of mistake all ministers are hoping to avoid at present.

"Of course they are aware the likely date of the election is the 6th May, but the final decision rests with Gordon Brown on this one, and Bob Ainsworth is as aware of that as anyone else."

The last possible date the General Election can be held is June 3. However, the Tories are preparing for one as early as March.

Shadow schools secretary Michael Gove told Adam Boulton it was a decision for the Prime Minister but added: "The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned."

Check for new replies or respond here...