» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Lent 2010

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/11/10 at 1:04 pm

Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday...that surprised me!

I'm going to give up...the internet this time (I got nagged by it)!

So...after Valentine's Day, I won't be on the internet. (God, I wish I could move out. I hope May comes real soon)!

Subject: Re: Lent 2010

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/10 at 2:23 pm

Next week?  I had no idea, and I['m a Catholic!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/10 at 2:28 pm

Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday...that surprised me!

:D

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/10 at 6:10 pm

:D

...to be now renamed 'crazy' Wednesday. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/10 at 6:13 pm

I think I'll give up all Christian rituals.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/10 at 6:14 pm

...to be now renamed 'crazy' Wednesday. ;)

:P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/10 at 6:14 pm

I think I'll give up all Christian rituals.

Is that because of me, or because of Christianity?  ;D ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/12/10 at 2:08 pm

I will give up the same thing that I have given up for the last 16-18 years (oh yes - they are still near and dear to me; but I have not ate one in forever) - the Reese's Peanut Butter Egg... :o

Written By: EthanM on 02/12/10 at 3:45 pm

I suppose it's against Catholic rules to give up misery for Lent

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/10 at 6:27 pm

I suppose it's against Catholic rules to give up misery for Lent

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/10 at 6:34 pm

Speaking of Catholic rules, remember, fellow Roamin' Catholics, that you cannot eat meat on Fridays during Lent.

However...

In the 17th Century, the Pope decreed that beaver meat shall be considered to be "fish" and so it is fair game for fine eating on Fridays.

Written By: gibbo on 02/12/10 at 6:56 pm

Speaking of Catholic rules, remember, fellow Roamin' Catholics, that you cannot eat meat on Fridays during Lent.

However...

In the 17th Century, the Pope decreed that beaver meat shall be considered to be "fish" and so it is fair game for fine eating on Fridays.

...and oh, how I DO love beaver!  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/12/10 at 7:13 pm

However...

I didn't know that - having already had dinner, I wonder, can one eat beaver for dessert?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/10 at 7:25 pm

However...

That's my kind of pope!

Written By: nally on 02/16/10 at 8:41 pm

That's right; it also applies to Ash Wednesday. So I must remember to not eat anything with meat tomorrow.

As for what I'm going to give up this year for Lent...don't know yet. :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 02/16/10 at 9:04 pm

RAWK.

I'm giving up my sanity for Lent.  And my sense of decency.  And any vague manners that I had.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/16/10 at 9:36 pm

...and oh, how I DO love beaver!  ::)

Hey man...  I know I do...  ;)

Written By: philbo on 02/17/10 at 7:05 am

In my case, it's not "Lent", it's "Borrowed"

I'm giving up giving things up.  And not just for Lent.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/17/10 at 10:09 pm

That's my kind of pope!

Gee, Your Holiness, don't you think you were a little hard on the fish last night?

Nope, just doesn't have the same ring to it.  (And someone said "Insert sausage joke here", and that's when the trouble started...)

Written By: nally on 03/12/10 at 1:00 pm

I thought so; it isn't really meat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/10 at 5:47 pm

However...

A couple of years ago Opening Day at Fenway Park fell on Ash Wednesday and they tried desperately to get the Cardinal of the Diocese to say it was alright to eat hot dogs on Opening Day.  He didn't go for it, but if that would have meant dispensation for hot dogs and beaver  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...