» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Johnny Cougar for Senator?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/10 at 5:03 pm

Looks like there is a move afoot to draft rocker John Cougar Mellencamp to run for Evan Bayh's seat.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/campaign/81513-john-mellencamp-for-senator-from-indiana

Subject: Re: Johnny Cougar for Senator?

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/10 at 7:51 pm

Ain't that America

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/10 at 7:55 pm

I think Mellencamp is a great guy.  I like his music.  I agree with his positions on most issues.  However, I'm not confident he's ready for the job.  

I'd rather see him do in an internship first.  He needs to go to Washington and sit on on committee meetings, subcommittee meetings, phony-baloney brunches, and all that other crap, THEN he should decide if he wants to run.

If he gets in there wet behind the ears, the special interest groups will eat him alive and he'll never see it coming.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

JCM has the name recognition.  Hell, everybody loved "Jack and Diane" right?  Unfortunately, Bayh and the state party thugs control the purse strings and they're all in the pockets of big business.  I don't think they'll want to run him.  

Al Franken did squeak by in Minnesota, but not without several years of high-profile political activism and a HUGE UGLY fight!

Last thing I heard about JCM was him setting up a painting studio in his garage.
:-\\

Written By: Macphisto on 02/17/10 at 10:14 pm

I'd vote for him.

Written By: philbo on 02/18/10 at 7:38 am

Hmm...

A little ditty 'bout Johnny Cougar-arr
An 'merican kid running for Senator
Johnny wants to be a politi-shee-yun
'Cause he's got name recogni-shee-yun

Suckin' up for money for his campaign
Way to spend the royalties from Jack and Di-ane
Johnny says "ain't no way I'm gonna lose here
'Cause I'm mostest famousest ever Hoosier"

Oh yeah! He say "Vote for me"
Gonna win a famous victory
Oh yeah, "Vote for me"
Man, you gotta love 'mer'can democracy

..that might even be worth finishing if he does decide to run :)

Check for new replies or respond here...