» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dalai Lama given award despite Chinese disapproval

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/10 at 7:00 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iPpk88Az41Nbob7cG0hB7d3Ve_rA

President Obama met with the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, and the National Endowment for Democracy presented the Dalai Lama with the Democracy Service Medal for the Lama's work towards democratic rule in Tibet.

"The Dalai Lama pointed to the growing interest of many Chinese in getting rich. Calling himself a Marxist in his support for a strong social safety net, the Dalai Lama joked: "Sometimes I feel my brain is more red than those Chinese leaders." (AFP report)

The Chinese government still occupies Tibet and believes the Dalai Lama is a divisive figure, but sentiment in the "free world" is against them.

Subject: Re: Dalai Lama given award despite Chinese disapproval

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/10 at 9:05 pm

Rather odd that the Lama is getting awards for the promotion of democracy.

If I understand history correctly, Tibet was a theocracy ruled by the succession of Lamas.  ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 9:16 pm

If I understand history correctly, Tibet was a theocracy ruled by the succession of Lamas.  ???

What about Llamas?

;D

I know, I know bad tasteless joke!

;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/10 at 10:11 pm

What about Llamas?

;D

I know, I know bad tasteless joke!

;D

A 1 l lama is a priest
A 2 l lama is a beast
A 3 l lama is a fire
..........Ogdan Nash

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/10 at 11:05 pm

Yeah, but he's a nice little Buddhist dude, so it's cool.  He's not some menacing Ayatollah!

Truth be known, the Dalai Lama doesn't think the United States is any great shakes either.  The U.S. sold itself out to frikkin' China!!!  However, he knows if he starts loud-mouthed condemnation of American greed and the vagaries of capitalism, he'll become a pariah on the geopolitical stage and that will only hurt his cause.  In this incarnation, even the Dalai Lama has to wheel and deal.  That's just the wicked way our world is. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...