» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ACORN cleared... again

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/10 at 8:54 am

"That investigation is now concluded and no criminality has been found."

Subject: Re: ACORN cleared... again

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/10 at 2:48 pm

I love it when this happens  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/10 at 5:00 pm

"That investigation is now concluded and no criminality has been found."

Interesting that the giving of advice to a pimp and prostitute on how to hide ill-gotten gains is not illegal.  However I'll concede whatever point of law the DA relied upon to reach that conclusion.

Now that said... While it might not have been found to be criminally ILLEGAL, there certainly IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH IT.

I believe that it is not criminally illegal for a public employee to call its black customers the N-word either.  But do we want our government dollars being spent on that activity either?  Of course not.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/10 at 7:43 pm

Interesting that the giving of advice to a pimp and prostitute on how to hide ill-gotten gains is not illegal.  However I'll concede whatever point of law the DA relied upon to reach that conclusion.

Now that said... While it might not have been found to be criminally ILLEGAL, there certainly IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH IT.

I believe that it is not criminally illegal for a public employee to call its black customers the N-word either.  But do we want our government dollars being spent on that activity either?  Of course not.

Depends on what part of the country you live in, hence the "states rights" movement.

What about Blackwater?  We're still down widdat, right?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/10 at 8:05 pm

Depends on what part of the country you live in, hence the "states rights" movement.

What about Blackwater?  We're still down widdat, right?
???

Ol' Black Water keep on rollin'
Mississippi Moon won't you keep on shinin' on me
Keep on shining your light Pretty mama, gonna make everything all right
And I ain't got no worries 'cause I ain't in no hurry at all

Written By: Macphisto on 03/02/10 at 10:55 pm

O'Keefe is an a-hole, but ACORN is still pretty sketchy to say the least.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/10 at 11:23 pm

O'Keefe is an a-hole, but ACORN is still pretty sketchy to say the least.

No more sketchy than any other social service agency I've dealt with.  I have never dealt with ACORN, but I've been around with groups of that nature. 

Written By: philbo on 03/03/10 at 7:14 am

Interesting that the giving of advice to a pimp and prostitute on how to hide ill-gotten gains is not illegal.

While the video by James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles seemed to show three ACORN workers advising a prostitute how to hide ill-gotten gains, the unedited version was not as clear, according to a law enforcement source.

"They edited the tape to meet their agenda," said the source.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/03/10 at 9:20 am

Iif you had read the article, you'd see it wasn't at all clear from the UNEDITED video that was what they were doing.
As I stated when this first came out, you can edit a tape and place sequences out of order and make even the most innocent encounter look like something awful.

Let's not forget these "filmmakers" were recently in a jail cell for trying similar crap in a politician's office.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/10 at 10:45 am

Iif you had read the article, you'd see it wasn't at all clear from the UNEDITED video that was what they were doing.
As I stated when this first came out, you can edit a tape and place sequences out of order and make even the most innocent encounter look like something awful.

Let's not forget these "filmmakers" were recently in a jail cell for trying similar crap in a politician's office.

We have libel laws because it's hard to regain one's good name after it has been smeared. 

Back in '48 the Lyndon Johnson campaign for U.S. senate was in deep doo-doo.  How could they defeat the state's beloved Pappy O'Daniel?  They couldn't find anything to tar the man with so Johnson said to his campaign staff:  "I know, we'll say Pappy O'Daniel f***ks pigs!"
"Lyndon," they exclaimed, "we can't say that, it's obscene, it's just slander!"
"We'll let him deny it!," Johnson replied.

That's the strategy the right-wing just used against ACORN.  Make a dirty enough smear and the facts don't matter once the smear is on.  Now the name ACORN is associated with prostitution and human trafficking.  As for the clowns who did the dirty deed, the right-wing power brokers threw them under the bus.
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/05/10 at 3:58 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/05/colbert-treats-hannity-li_n_487078.html

Using the same misleading tactics O'Keefe employed, Colbert quickly got what he needed out of Hannity and moved along, donning a pimp's hat and coat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/10 at 4:53 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/05/colbert-treats-hannity-li_n_487078.html

Using the same misleading tactics O'Keefe employed, Colbert quickly got what he needed out of Hannity and moved along, donning a pimp's hat and coat.

Too funny.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/10 at 9:33 pm

The Right won't give up on nailing ACORN will they?  Can't imagine ACORN being cleared makes them Republicans look in any better light to the public.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/05/10 at 10:59 pm

The Right won't give up on nailing ACORN will they?  Can't imagine ACORN being cleared makes them Republicans look in any better light to the public.

if it were reported on as much as the initial controversy  I'd agree with you.  Sadly that won't be the case, and the hardcore 25% of the country that swallows the Fox News propaganda will continue to believe it to be the gospel no matter what.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/10 at 11:06 pm

ACORN will NEVER be okay with Republicans because the SUCK!  They take it upon themselves to try and help the poor people the rich exploit and toss aside, sort of what that LOSER from Galilee did two thousand years ago!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...