» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Eric Holder - Stick a Fork in Him

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/10 at 8:12 am

Seems that O'bama's advisors will be recommending that he scrap Holder's plan to try the various 9/11 perps in civilian courts, and go with the military tribunal option.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030405209.html

If this indeed happens, Attorney General Eric Holder will become irrelevant, if he has not already gotten to that point already within the administration.  Such a visible reversal of a DA's decision will likely result in his resignation "to spend more time with family", which will then be accepted by O'bama.

Subject: Re: Eric Holder - Stick a Fork in Him

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/05/10 at 10:48 am

Well, its no wonder since according to Liz Cheney Holder is almost Taliban

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/10 at 11:12 pm

If Holder gets forced out, who cares?  They'll just pluck another corporate hack off the lawyer tree!

Anyway, if these guys get a court martial of any sorts, the detainees MIGHT be better off than if they were in a civilian court.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/10 at 10:44 am

If Holder gets forced out, who cares?  They'll just pluck another corporate hack off the lawyer tree!

Anyway, if these guys get a court martial of any sorts, the detainees MIGHT be better off than if they were in a civilian court.

What is interesting in all of this is that the opposition to the civilian trials appears to be quite a bipartisan effort.  Even the uberliberal New York Democrats (who at the moment appear to be in a sudden disarray) are saying "try those muther suckers at Gitmo".

O'bama will bet a "bye" on all of this, and the Dem machine will attempt to swiftly sweep this issue under the rug.

Mind you, I always contended that those criminals were military cases.  But I'm just sayin'...

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/06/10 at 11:33 am

What is interesting in all of this is that the opposition to the civilian trials appears to be quite a bipartisan effort.  Even the uberliberal New York Democrats (who at the moment appear to be in a sudden disarray) are saying "try those muther suckers at Gitmo".

O'bama will bet a "bye" on all of this, and the Dem machine will attempt to swiftly sweep this issue under the rug.

Mind you, I always contended that those criminals were military cases.  But I'm just sayin'...

Collen Powell disagrees, for what its worth

Written By: Macphisto on 03/06/10 at 5:38 pm

I have to agree that Holder will probably get scrapped.  Then again, this is a good thing.  He has said some pretty out there things in the short time he's held this office.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/10 at 5:47 pm

I have to agree that Holder will probably get scrapped.  Then again, this is a good thing.  He has said some pretty out there things in the short time he's held this office.

My thoughts.  If (a) the military tribunals are conducted and (b) the health care reform is not passed thru Congress, the rest of Obama's term will resemble that of the Carter Administration.

Then again, if the health care reform IS shoved thru Congress, you'll see an even more vociferous backlash come the fall Congressional elections.

Because Obama really never had any serious prior business leadership experience (where you have to turn in concrete results that are measured), he made a common "rookie mistake"... He failed to manage expectations.  As a result, all sorts of people expected him to do all sorts of things and he did not really do anything to temper them.  Now there are all sorts of things that are "core" to the people who supported him, that are sinking into the quicksand of reality.

"Failure to manage expectations" is very common for greenhorn managers in businesses, and back in the day I was guilty of this myself.  However, when your job title is POTUS it can be lethal to your legacy.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/06/10 at 5:54 pm

My thoughts.  If (a) the military tribunals are conducted and (b) the health care reform is not passed thru Congress, the rest of Obama's term will resemble that of the Carter Administration.

Then again, if the health care reform IS shoved thru Congress, you'll see an even more vociferous backlash come the fall Congressional elections.

Because Obama really never had any serious prior business leadership experience (where you have to turn in concrete results that are measured), he made a common "rookie mistake"... He failed to manage expectations.  As a result, all sorts of people expected him to do all sorts of things and he did not really do anything to temper them.  Now there are all sorts of things that are "core" to the people who supported him, that are sinking into the quicksand of reality.

"Failure to manage expectations" is very common for greenhorn managers in businesses, and back in the day I was guilty of this myself.  However, when your job title is POTUS it can be lethal to your legacy.

I really don't think he'll go down like Carter.  He's clearly not as savvy as Clinton, but I think he'll do better than Bush at least.  Bush was absolutely terrible at managing expectations.
Part of the sad thing about the post-Bush era is that expectations are generally lowered.  People did elect Obama with unrealistic expectations, but over time, they’ll still remember that the guy before him was just abysmal as a president.
As long as Obama does a halfway competent job, he’ll probably get re-elected.  So far, he’s competent, but just naive on some things.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/10 at 5:58 pm

I really don't think he'll go down like Carter.  He's clearly not as savvy as Clinton, but I think he'll do better than Bush at least.  Bush was absolutely terrible at managing expectations.
Part of the sad thing about the post-Bush era is that expectations are generally lowered.  People did elect Obama with unrealistic expectations, but over time, they’ll still remember that the guy before him was just abysmal as a president.
As long as Obama does a halfway competent job, he’ll probably get re-elected.  So far, he’s competent, but just naive on some things.

Well actually, if the Dems effectively lose control over the Congress it may HELP O'bama, because it is hard to be "drunk with power" when your bartender doesn't show up for work.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/06/10 at 6:01 pm

Well actually, if the Dems effectively lose control over the Congress it may HELP O'bama, because it is hard to be "drunk with power" when your bartender doesn't show up for work.

lol...  True.  Obama could end up like the next Clinton (hopefully without the intern scandal, of course).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/10 at 12:14 am

Failure to manage expectations was a problem among Obama supporters too.  I said he was a good-looking man talking about hope.  What's not to like there?  The problem was he came to Washington with no political machine to back him up.  No real power.  His adversaries weren't scared of him; the despised him, but they didn't fear him.  The last Dem to get to the Oval Office with that kind of power behind him was LBJ.  So I said unless a side of Obama that's a combination of Malcolm X and Teddy Roosevelt comes out, the corporate power structure will only increase in power.  And so it has.
:(

Check for new replies or respond here...