» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Alabama Black Caucus - WTF?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/10 at 11:58 am

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12097202

Been reading news accounts today that Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has plans this week to visit Alabama.  On his itinerary is a visit to Robert E. Lee High School, as well as to march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge to commenorate the 45th anniversary of "Bloody SUnday", a key date in civil rights history.

The Alabama Legislative Black Caucus seems to think that Duncan should cancel his visit to the high school because 45 years ago the school and its principal were vocal opponents to RevDrMLKJr and the Selma-Montgomery march.

WTF???  It was 45 years ago, and I strongly imagine that none of today's teachers or students were part of all that mess.  Here we have a white Secretary of Education, whose boss is a black guy, the President of the United States, visiting the school.  I am not sure what more affirmation of progress could be made than that.  And he's going to town to CELEBRATE civil rights effort, not to condemn it.

Damn, you'd think he was coming to town to lay a wreath on the grave of James Earl Ray, or that hte was coming to get a KKK Lifetime Achievement Award.

Another clear example of the polarization of american politics, in this case on a racial scale.

Subject: Re: Alabama Black Caucus - WTF?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/10 at 12:56 pm

Mind if I go back 145 years?  Robert E. Lee High School?

Gimme a break.  Ain't we proud of all our efforts over the centuries to keep the black man down!
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/10 at 1:15 pm

Mind if I go back 145 years?  Robert E. Lee High School?

Gimme a break.  Ain't we proud of all our efforts over the centuries to keep the black man down!
::)

I looked 'em up on the web. http://schools.mps.k12.al.us/schools/lee/index.aspx?id=366

Here's a picture of the school band

http://schools.mps.k12.al.us/uploadedImages/High_Schools/Robert_E_Lee/Band/band(5).jpg

Home page for RELHS shows three black kids who are in the ROTC program.  Would seem that if this school were a hotbed of racism against blacks you'd see a bunch of lily-white kids on there.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/07/10 at 2:23 pm

I agree...  it's extremely petty.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/08/10 at 2:40 pm

Besides, Robert E. Lee was against slavery personally. He only sided with the South because his home-state Virginia seceded.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/08/10 at 5:06 pm

Besides, Robert E. Lee was against slavery personally. He only sided with the South because his home-state Virginia seceded.

Post bellum he wanted all the Negroes expelled from Virginia.  He thought it would be best for them to do simple Negro work, not to vote, and to live somewhere else. 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/10 at 10:06 am

Well no, not really, he just talked a good game.  He said he was against it, but considered it pretty much a necessary evil.

"The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence."  Robert E. Lee -1856. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/09/10 at 10:33 am

Well no, not really, he just talked a good game.  He said he was against it, but considered it pretty much a necessary evil.

"The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence."  Robert E. Lee -1856. 

Its called "blaming the victim

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 1:01 pm

Loosely translated... "I don't like slavery but as long as I can make money off of it I'm in no hurry to end it."

Check for new replies or respond here...