» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cadillac Health Care Plans

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/10 at 1:23 pm

So I was listening to Secretary of HHS, Katherine Sebelius on one of the meet-press shows this morning.  In answeing one of the questions, she made a remark (words to the effect) that "we are working to discourage these Cadillac heath plans".

WHO CARES?  I mean, if a Union negotiates a super-duper health plan with an employer, why should I or the government object to it?  If I am a private citizen who for whatever reason wants to buy a policy that provides a round-the-clock masseuse, why should anybody care?

As long as a business, union, or person is paying the premiums for a "Cadillac" policy what business is it of anybody's to knock it?

Now I agree, I don't want government employees getting these policies, because the money is coming out of MY pocket.

This whole business of bashing "Cadillac" health plans is a red herring and a diversion.

Subject: Re: Cadillac Health Care Plans

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/10 at 1:38 pm

A lot of times when you try to make a claim on one of those "Cadillac" health care plans, you find you ain't got the title or the keys for it.  In fact, it's a '72 El Dorado with no engine sitting on cinder blocks around the back!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/10 at 10:08 am

Why is it that people look at good benefits of other workers and feel that they should be taken away, instead of having their own level of benefits rise to meet them?

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/09/10 at 10:31 am

Why is it that people look at good benefits of other workers and feel that they should be taken away, instead of having their own level of benefits rise to meet them?

Good question

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/10 at 12:22 pm

It is called "race to the bottom."  ::)

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 12:53 pm

It is called "race to the bottom."  ::)

Cat

Interestingly it is the Obama Administration itself that has launched the "Cadillac Attack".

First it started with simply taxing the Cadillac Plans as a way to generate revenue, presumably because rich people have them
Then it turned out that alot of unions have negotiated this sort of benefit, and so the Administration bribed the Unions by saying well we won't tax YOUR Cadillac for a long time" (kinda like the Nebraska purchase deal)
Now Sebelius is characterizing "Cadillacs" as something inherently bad which need to be obliterated from the face of the earth

While I may or may not be in favor of taxing these plans (hey you gots to come up with money somehow), the idea that they are inherently evil, if the users of these plans like them (and they are not publicly funded) is absurd.  In my mind this is a clear sign of the "Government knows how to manage your health better than you do" bent in the current administration.

Expect to see more of the same if the bill gets passed...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/10 at 7:14 pm

I don't care if it's a Cadillac plan or a Chevette plan.  I agree with Dennis Kucinich, the insurance companies are not the solution, they are the problem.  Our country must summon the guts to say the health of our people shall not be bargained through commerce.  It is inhumane and immoral to make the level of health care available to a person contingent on the amount of money he can spend or the mercy of his employer. 

We are benighted and demoralized as Americans because we have made patriotism a triumvirate of God, war, and the free market.  Without care for the humanity of one another, we made the free market our god and war our sacrament. 

It is time to divest our health and welfare from the vagaries of the so-called "free market," and quit waving Old Glory every time some bloodthirsty politicians want to go killing people. 

This is a tall order, but the only one worth working towards.

Check for new replies or respond here...