» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dan Rathers Obama Quip-OH NO HE DIDN"T-yes he did

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/10 at 8:26 am

Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather, speaking on the GOP's expected strategy against Democrats in elections this fall, said Republicans would describe President Obama as "a nice person ... very articulate" but an ineffective leader who "couldn't sell watermelons if you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1UHz7VtpqY&feature=player_embedded

Subject: Re: Dan Rathers Obama Quip-OH NO HE DIDN"T-yes he did

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 9:59 am

Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather, speaking on the GOP's expected strategy against Democrats in elections this fall, said Republicans would describe President Obama as "a nice person ... very articulate" but an ineffective leader who "couldn't sell watermelons if you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic."

He certainly coulda made his point with a better choice of words.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/10 at 10:00 am

He certainly coulda made his point with a better choice of words.

Most times I roll my eyes at this stuff, but I expect more from supposed professionals.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 10:03 am

... I expect more from supposed professionals.

I thought we were talking about Dan Rather...

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/09/10 at 10:37 am

Most times I roll my eyes at this stuff, but I expect more from supposed professionals.

The repugs will not be so blatent, but that will be their message

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 12:59 pm

The repugs will not be so blatent, but that will be their message

Well if the message is that Obama couldn't sell a hamburger to a starving man, his record to date at getting a Congress which is of his own party to implement his vision (regardless of how I feel about it), would tend to support that sentiment.

Right now the Democratic party is in a disarray similar to the Sacking of Damascus, and he's their titular head.  If they don't get their cr@p together soon, they will look back at 2009 and 2010 with historical regret as what they could have done when they had the wheel.  This November the jig will be up... either the Dems will have gotten their act together and have a decent showing in the elections, or the gridlock and infighting will continue, and a bloodbath will happen at the polls.  In either event, we'll clearly know whazzup after those elections.

The ACLU is now running an ad where Obama's face "morphs" into George W. Bush.  My opinion?  He'll morph into Jimmy Carter.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/09/10 at 5:36 pm

:o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/10 at 6:52 pm

Thank you, Dan, for giving every right-wing a-hole a license to beat the drum about liberal hypocrisy and double standards for the next five years!  Jesse Jackson referred to New York City as "hymie town" in 1984 and we STILL haven't heard the end of it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/cussing.gif

In Dan's case, I don't think he meant to say anything bigoted.  I think he's grown inept and confused.  Like it or not, you can't mention watermelon and state troopers in a metaphor regarding an African-American man.  

It's akin to saying Joe Lieberman couldn't sell bagels at a skinhead rally!  Or is it?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Anyway, Dan just wrote his own walking papers.  Don't bother to take your foot out of your mouth to say you're sorry, just walk away into the sunset!

Written By: Macphisto on 03/09/10 at 6:58 pm

I see this as kind of the same way as I saw the Don Imus thing....

People really take this stuff too seriously.  It was a bad joke, but I don't see it as being that offensive....

Basically, his point is that Obama is playing nice too much.  I have to agree.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/10 at 7:00 pm

Thank you, Dan, for giving every right-wing a-hole a license to beat the drum about liberal hypocrisy and double standards for the next five years!

Anyway, Dan just wrote his own walking papers.  Don't bother to take your foot out of your mouth to say you're sorry, just walk away into the sunset!

Not only that, he used the dreaded A-word too.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...