» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Internet video: Muslims must rise up in Nigeria

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/10 at 4:56 pm

http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/march/16/internet-video-muslims-must-rise-up-in-nigeria.html

A video posted on a militant Web site calls for Muslims in Nigeria to use "the sword and the spear" to rise up against Christians in Africa's most populous nation, according to a translation released Tuesday by a U.S. group that monitors militant sites....

Worldwide Islamic Jihad continues its mayhem.

Subject: Re: Internet video: Muslims must rise up in Nigeria

Written By: Frank on 03/16/10 at 8:16 pm

Some people from our Church know of a few missionaries in Kenya. Pretty scary for them right now. Hope no one ( from either side) get hurt.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/10 at 8:58 pm

...And Jesus and Mohamed both wept.

:\'(

Written By: gibbo on 03/17/10 at 2:38 am

...And Jesus and Mohamed both wept.

:\'(

I thought Mohammed largely converted by the sword!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/10 at 8:22 am

I thought Mohammed largely converted by the sword!!!

I am not expert at Islam so not sure.

I did see a story a couple a days ago.  A Muslim cleric issued a Fatwa which condemned terrorism; he quoted a line in the Koran which basically says that this sort of mayhem is a sin.  Sadly at this point, most Muslim clerics either disagree with him or choose to remain silent.

Written By: philbo on 03/17/10 at 11:28 am

I did see a story a couple a days ago.  A Muslim cleric issued a Fatwa which condemned terrorism; he quoted a line in the Koran which basically says that this sort of mayhem is a sin.  Sadly at this point, most Muslim clerics either disagree with him or choose to remain silent.

I heard him talking on the radio (at least, I assume it was the same chap).. what was most pleasing was that he got some air time, because let's face it: moderate Islam simply isn't news.  Moderates don't hit the streets shouting for a less radical approach - as an example, I've not seen a single report of moderate Christians speaking out against the Westboro Baptist Church.  Does that mean that most Christian clerics either agree with them or choose to remain silent?

I've become very sceptical about the media's role in bigging up radical Islam into some kind of bogeyman - it doesn't

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/10 at 5:57 pm

I am not expert at Islam so not sure.

When Christianity was about the same age as Islam is today, we were suffering through the Spanish inquisition.  For sure, there was no mass media at the time, and news traveled a lot slower.  Nonetheless, millions of good Christians stood by while inquisitors tortured their brethren in Christ and witchfinders pointed at pagans to be burned at the stake or drawn and quartered. 

There are some scary sonofabitches in the Muslim world today.  If I was just a lowly imam presiding over a mosque in Tripoli, I think I'd rather go about my business and keep my mouth shut.  Zealots who are going to fell hundreds by the sword aren't going to listen to my calls for peace, and they might decide I'm an infidel and come after ME!
:o

After all, religious wars usually involve more than theology, like all wars, they are about political power and control of resources.

Check for new replies or respond here...