» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A Racist Incident that Hasn't Gotten National Attention

Written By: Macphisto on 03/20/10 at 1:20 pm

So, we now know of a racist remark made at a Walmart over the PA system.  The guy who did it probably will get some sort of criminal charge.

However, in the same general area, another much more serious racist incident has gone unnoticed by the national media as of late.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/88337312.html

"Hao Luu's troubles began Dec. 2 when, Asian activists say, he was accosted in the hall of South Philadelphia High by a student who yanked the earphones out of his ears.

After school that day, Luu was followed by 10 to 15 students and beaten so badly that he vomited.

What followed over the next two months outraged Asian advocates: Luu was ordered transferred from the school, despite having won his case at a disciplinary hearing. He was accused of being in a gang, an allegation strongly denied by his family. At one point, officials accused Luu of taking part in a fight in 2008 - a time when he was living in Virginia, according to his family and supporters.

The case of Luu, a 17-year-old immigrant student from Vietnam, shines light on how the school district is handling students accused of playing a role in the violence that enveloped the school Dec. 3."

It seems kind of strange that this hasn't gotten much attention from CNN or any other major news outlet.  So, how does a remark made against blacks trump coverage of a beating committed by blacks?

Subject: Re: A Racist Incident that Hasn't Gotten National Attention

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/10 at 1:58 pm

It seems kind of strange that this hasn't gotten much attention from CNN or any other major news outlet.  So, how does a remark made against blacks trump coverage of a beating committed by blacks?

I don't understand your question.  This was not about a black guy getting beat up.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 2:51 pm

No, it isn't but he was wondering why the incident at Wal=Mart got coverage, and this story hasn't.

And that's a really good question.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/10 at 2:58 pm

No, it isn't but he was wondering why the incident at Wal=Mart got coverage, and this story hasn't.

And that's a really good question.

I still don't understand.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 3:00 pm

So, we now know of a racist remark made at a Walmart over the PA system.  The guy who did it probably will get some sort of criminal charge.

However, in the same general area, another much more serious racist incident has gone unnoticed by the national media as of late.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/88337312.html

"Hao Luu's troubles began Dec. 2 when, Asian activists say, he was accosted in the hall of South Philadelphia High by a student who yanked the earphones out of his ears.

After school that day, Luu was followed by 10 to 15 students and beaten so badly that he vomited.

What followed over the next two months outraged Asian advocates: Luu was ordered transferred from the school, despite having won his case at a disciplinary hearing. He was accused of being in a gang, an allegation strongly denied by his family. At one point, officials accused Luu of taking part in a fight in 2008 - a time when he was living in Virginia, according to his family and supporters.

The case of Luu, a 17-year-old immigrant student from Vietnam, shines light on how the school district is handling students accused of playing a role in the violence that enveloped the school Dec. 3."

Good question, this story should gotten more attention, on TV.  Why hasn't any new network picked up on this story, yet?

???

Written By: limblifter on 03/20/10 at 5:32 pm

The two incidents aren't the same at all.

In one incident you have a (presumably) white person telling black people to get out of the store. Racist.

The other story doesn't say anything about the incident being racially motivated. Just kids beating up another kid. Which happens everyday at school.

have we been programmed to believe that every time a crime is commited involving two different races that it is automatically a racist act?

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/10 at 6:29 pm

The two incidents aren't the same at all.

In one incident you have a (presumably) white person telling black people to get out of the store. Racist.

The other story doesn't say anything about the incident being racially motivated. Just kids beating up another kid. Which happens everyday at school.

have we been programmed to believe that every time a crime is commited involving two different races that it is automatically a racist act?

That's what I was going to say... this is an issue of school violence but it seems to be "random" school violence and not necessarily racially motivated... unfortunately teens are beaten up in schools across the country everyday this one doesn't really stand above the incidents as being more significant in anyway.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/10 at 6:35 pm

It is a racist incident.  All the kids that did the beating were black, and they beat the kid up because he was Vietnamese.  The school didn't do anything to help this kid, then victimized him as much as the kids beating him.  It is just not right.

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/10 at 9:27 pm

It is a racist incident.  All the kids that did the beating were black, and they beat the kid up because he was Vietnamese.  The school didn't do anything to help this kid, then victimized him as much as the kids beating him.  It is just not right.

not saying it was right just saying there was nothing in the post support racial motivation.
It's bullying at the very least. But did they atrackvthe kid because he was Vietnamese? Or because he was an easy target?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/10 at 6:55 am

not saying it was right just saying there was nothing in the post support racial motivation.
It's bullying at the very least. But did they atrackvthe kid because he was Vietnamese? Or because he was an easy target?

"On Dec. 3, about 30 Asian students were beaten  in a daylong series of assaults by groups of mostly African American classmates. Seven Asian students went to hospitals. A district inquiry blamed the violence on racial tensions and unsubstantiated rumors that arose from altercations between Asian and African American students the previous day."

All the victims were Asian.  Sounds racial to me.  This kind of thing has to be admitted to, no matter who, no matter where.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/10 at 9:00 am

All the victims were Asian.  Sounds racial to me.  This kind of thing has to be admitted to, no matter who, no matter where.

Fact of the matter is that when more than one caucasian or asian assaults an african american, it is assumed to be a racist hate crime.

When more than one african american attacks anybody else, it is usually chalked up to poverty or just generalized crime.

So-called "reverse racism" hate crime allegations are exceedingly rare.  If one makes the assumption that no one race or ethnic group has any more or less propensity for racism than any other, then one might conclude that the paucity of such reverse-hate-crime allegations reflects a racist attitude in itself.

In today's society, a movie entitled "White Men Can't Jump" is a major hit.  Just imagine the uproar over a movie called "Black Men Can't Swim".

These situations come very much from within the affected minority communities, who all too often take an exclusionary approach to "diversity".  So, for example, a black man who happens to be a conservative is branded by other blacks as a "Tom", an "oreo", a "self hater", or a "sellout", as opposed to beng seen as a man who has the freedom and the right to form his own political views.  A jewish man who opposes the Israeli government's policies is likewise branded a "collaborator", a "self hater" and "anti semitic" again, as opposed as simply a man who has the right to his own views of the world.

In following these practices, the minority groups are emulating the exclusionary and discriminatory policies of their historical oppressors.  And as a result they only damage their own cause.

Finally the political fixation on "hate crime" really does not get at the major issues at play.  The overwhelming majority of crime is indeed "same race" crime.  Most white victimizations occur at the hands of whites.  Ditto for black, asian, hispanic.

The fact that an Asian kid got the crap beat outta him because his attacker does not like Asians is no more injurious than if his attacker simply wanted to steal his money or whatever.  Beat up is beat up, and in either case the attacker should be punished severely.

"Hate crime" laws do not change the minds of racists, and one could likely make the case that they actually fan the flames of racism.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/21/10 at 1:38 pm

Fact of the matter is that when more than one caucasian or asian assaults an african american, it is assumed to be a racist hate crime.

When more than one african american attacks anybody else, it is usually chalked up to poverty or just generalized crime.

So-called "reverse racism" hate crime allegations are exceedingly rare.  If one makes the assumption that no one race or ethnic group has any more or less propensity for racism than any other, then one might conclude that the paucity of such reverse-hate-crime allegations reflects a racist attitude in itself.

In today's society, a movie entitled "White Men Can't Jump" is a major hit.  Just imagine the uproar over a movie called "Black Men Can't Swim".

These situations come very much from within the affected minority communities, who all too often take an exclusionary approach to "diversity".  So, for example, a black man who happens to be a conservative is branded by other blacks as a "Tom", an "oreo", a "self hater", or a "sellout", as opposed to beng seen as a man who has the freedom and the right to form his own political views.  A jewish man who opposes the Israeli government's policies is likewise branded a "collaborator", a "self hater" and "anti semitic" again, as opposed as simply a man who has the right to his own views of the world.

In following these practices, the minority groups are emulating the exclusionary and discriminatory policies of their historical oppressors.  And as a result they only damage their own cause.

Finally the political fixation on "hate crime" really does not get at the major issues at play.  The overwhelming majority of crime is indeed "same race" crime.  Most white victimizations occur at the hands of whites.  Ditto for black, asian, hispanic.

The fact that an Asian kid got the crap beat outta him because his attacker does not like Asians is no more injurious than if his attacker simply wanted to steal his money or whatever.  Beat up is beat up, and in either case the attacker should be punished severely.

"Hate crime" laws do not change the minds of racists, and one could likely make the case that they actually fan the flames of racism.

While I am against hate crime legislation, Danoota said exactly what I was going to.

When you have multiple cases of one race of people attacking another race over a short period of time, it's pretty clear that this really was racially motivated.

I know it sounds strange coming from me because of my reluctance to use the race card, but you have to attribute blame where it's due.  It's pretty hard to believe that this wasn't racially motivated.

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/10 at 7:53 pm

"On Dec. 3, about 30 Asian students were beaten  in a daylong series of assaults by groups of mostly African American classmates. Seven Asian students went to hospitals. A district inquiry blamed the violence on racial tensions and unsubstantiated rumors that arose from altercations between Asian and African American students the previous day."

All the victims were Asian.  Sounds racial to me.  This kind of thing has to be admitted to, no matter who, no matter where.

ah well l I didn't read the article...I wish people would quote the article with the link... its easier for me when I'm viewing the boards on my phone instead of via computer.

and the original post made it sound like just one asian student was targeted not 30

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/22/10 at 12:03 am

When I was in school I got beat up by Puerto Rican gangbangers and white varsity jocks!  One thing I learned is getting beat up is getting beat up.  I don't condone it no matter who's doing the beating.

Check for new replies or respond here...