» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Texas Textbook Massacre

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 3:21 pm

Question, what do Oscar Romero and Thomas Jefferson, have in common?

Answer: They are now both scheduled to be dropped out of publicschool text books, in Texas, thanks to a recent vote.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/03/16/right-wingers-write-jefferson-out-of-texas-schoolbooks/

::)

Subject: Re: Texas Textbook Massacre

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/20/10 at 5:01 pm

Check this out, by a conservative columnist from the San Antonio Express daily

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20100320/OPINION03/3200329/1039/OPINION03

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 5:18 pm

If they can remove, Jefferson, then who is next? 

It oddly reminds, of a novel, in which there is a grim future in which history and names are deleted from a book, purposely.

By the way, ummmmm....... what was the name of the book again, by the way?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/10 at 5:59 pm

I find it very interesting that the freedoms that these conservatives are always clinging to, are the same ones they want to take away from everyone else.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 6:06 pm

I find it very interesting that the freedoms that these conservatives are always clinging to, are the same ones they want to take away from everyone else.

Cat

I agree, is seems like they want freedom for themselves, and themselves only.

Everyone else?  Look elsewhere....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/21/10 at 9:40 am

I like how they portray the Gold Standard to be the economic function of choice. ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 03/21/10 at 1:32 pm

This is why public education is something we should probably move away from.  It was a good idea in the beginning, but clearly, governments hijack education for their own purposes.

It doesn't matter if the school board is conservative or liberal, because either way, agendas will be pushed.

School vouchers are a good alternative to this mess, so that markets develop to cater to people's interests.  If the creationists want their kids to learn about Adam and Eve instead of evolution, let them send their kids to a private religious school.  The rest of us can go to private schools that focus on evolution.

Unfortunately, America is too divided on just about every level to have functional public curriculums for education.  The extremes of viewpoints in America are much more drastic than those in most other developed nations.

This is, essentially, the dual curse of diversity and individualism.

We may have more freedoms than most of the world, but when it comes to actually agreeing on anything, we usually just end up with halfassed compromises and periodic political pendulum swings in policy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/10 at 11:54 pm

They're demoting Thomas Jefferson, and removing references to "democracy."

Jesus Christ, this is embarrassing! 

I'm sure glad my sister is home-schooling my niece!  She'll know Howard Zinn chapter-and-verse by the time she's 14, and that's the way things oughta be!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...