» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why the U.N. Is Such a Bad Joke

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/10 at 9:25 am

Just saw this article on the web...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/world/africa/26pirate.html

The other day, a Somali hijacking attempt was thwarted when private security guards on a ship that was under attack fired back and killed one of the pirates.  Here's a quote from a UN wank:

Arvinder Sambei, a legal consultant for the United Nations’ antipiracy program, said the role of private security operatives this time “will be scrutinized very closely,” The Associated Press reported.

“There’s always been concern about these companies,” she told the A.P. “Who are they responsible to?”

Ms. Sambei continued, “The bottom line is somebody has been killed, and someone has to give an accounting of that.”

What did she want the guards to do?  Sit back and get hijacked?  It ain't no tea party out there.  Nevermind though, the UN does not have any jurisdiction on the high seas, and I strongly suspect that the private guards would deliver a world class ass-whooping to UN forces if they every tried to stop them, as the UN forces would begin their retreat immediately.

It is this sort of nonsense thinking that makes the UN such a butt of jokes worldwide.  From what I can seem to tell, the USA is one of the few countries to address pirates, when caught in the act, appropriately.  If I recall correctly, Navy snipers made a mess of the hijackers with three well-placed head shots, and the surviving guy is in jail.

My only problem with the security guard company is why they did not sink the hijacker's boats and let the survivors try to swim back to shore from 100 miles out.  The UN does not seem to understand that this piracy is an act of war and needs to be addressed accordingly with military force.  If the navies of the world can't do the job, then more power to shippers who hire their own protection.

Subject: Re: Why the U.N. Is Such a Bad Joke

Written By: philbo on 03/25/10 at 10:35 am

Arvinder Sambei, a legal consultant for the United Nations’ antipiracy program, said the role of private security operatives this time “will be scrutinized very closely,” The Associated Press reported.

“There’s always been concern about these companies,” she told the A.P. “Who are they responsible to?”

Ms. Sambei continued, “The bottom line is somebody has been killed, and someone has to give an accounting of that.”

...my bold..

If everybody were to take your attitude, there'd be no legal fees & TV appearances for UN lawyers.  Of course they need to be scrutinized very closely, so that the legal consultants get their fees.

..or am I just being overly cynical?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/25/10 at 12:20 pm

To paraphrase, Public Enemy....

"So get up get, get get down, the UN is a joke in yo town."

;D

Written By: Macphisto on 03/26/10 at 9:34 pm

Somalia seems like the kind of place that would be good for neutron bomb testing.

Check for new replies or respond here...