» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Violence against Democrats intensifies - Kristallnacht

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/10 at 9:42 pm

it starts with slurs at rallies... steps up to storefronts being smashed

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/25/AR2010032501722.html?hpid=topnews

Sarah Palin's Twitter page encouraged supporters: "Don't retreat, instead - reload!" The former vice presidential candidate's Facebook page also featured a map of the U.S. with circles and cross hairs over 20 districts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100325/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1332

"DROP DEAD": White Powder Package Sent to Rep. Weiner's Office
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/White-Powder-Package-Sent-to-Congressman-Weiners-Office-89136827.html

gee... all that talk about how the left-wing were traitors for calling out Bush's bull during his term in office, and I've yet to see any arrests for what appear to be much more apparent acts of sedition.

Subject: Re: Violence against Democrats intensifies - Kristallnacht

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/25/10 at 10:12 pm

This is just plain sad, and too horrible for words.

And over something petty, too.

::)

Written By: topforty on 03/25/10 at 10:14 pm

Ah don't you know though, these are all "isolated" incidents and not necessarily being done by the conservative right but by some disgruntled liberals.

I don't listen to talk radio, nor to any of those blowhards on cable, but from what I gather, some of these people are carefully choosing their words with a lot of double meanings, so if something does happen they can throw up their hands and say, "that's not what I meant".  

I've said it on another thread, I blame this crap on cable tv, talk radio and the internet.  If this health care bill would have passed before the 1980, all we would have heard about it was there was some debate on it in Congress, it may or may not have had passed, it would have been the lead story for Cronkite and three minutes later he would have been talking about something else.  The next day the news on the bill would have made headlines in your local newspaper, there would have been an article about it in Time Magazine and Newsweek, then the news would be about some other current event.

It is scary to think that people on both sides not only drink but inhale the Kool-aid of these idiots pontificating their biased views from their respective pulpits.  Yesterday I'm in a public place with a tv set and there is this guy who is shouting at the tv as he's watching FOX news as they are discussing what the Senate is doing with the reconciliation phase, and the guy is saying, "We've gotta chance to get this piece of sh*t overturned".      

Maybe I'm a fool for asking, but where is the middle ground in all this crap?

Written By: topforty on 03/25/10 at 10:38 pm

One final thing.

I don't know if there is an afterlife or not, but if there is, I hope each of these conservatives and liberals get paired up with one another, much like in Sartre's "No Exit" and they have to spend eternity together, locked in a room, with one tv set, which is showing nothing but Hannah Montana re-runs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/10 at 10:58 pm

I think it's made the Right nervous.  They don't wanna get blamed for whatever might come down the road.  Glenn Beck was on FOX praising Gandhi and Martin Luther King, and nonviolence as "the right way"!

Only yesterday he was screaming about how Americans hate "dope-smoking hippies"!

I think he got talked to.  The next Karl Rovian move is going to be Roger Ailes hiring that kid from the ACORN stunt to dress up in a Malcolm X hat and shoot a conservative city council member in the ass with a BB gun, then they can start blaming the liberals again!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/10 at 9:19 am

Gotta love Glenn Beck's response to all of this....

http://www.mediaite.com/online/glenn-becks-dangerous-monologue-against-violence/

Written By: Mushroom on 03/26/10 at 9:58 am

"DROP DEAD": White Powder Package Sent to Rep. Weiner's Office
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/White-Powder-Package-Sent-to-Congressman-Weiners-Office-89136827.html

gee... all that talk about how the left-wing were traitors for calling out Bush's bull during his term in office, and I've yet to see any arrests for what appear to be much more apparent acts of sedition.

This is sadly common nowadays.  Here are some others you may not have heard about:

Authorities said letters containing white powder were sent to the Mobile and Foley offices of Republican Rep. Jo Bonner, who was forced to remain with staffers in the Mobile office while officials tested the substance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/04/politics/main6055014.shtml

The Helena fire and police as well as the National Guard Civil support Team were called to respond to the incident, which began at 9 a.m. on Tuesday when an envelope containing a suspicious white powder was opened on the third floor of the Department of Labor and Industry building. That building is located directly across the street from the Capitol building.

http://www.bioprepwatch.com/news/212297-anthrax-scare-in-helena-montana

Envelopes filled with white powder have, since the anthrax attacks in the United States in 2001, become an increasingly common hoax at U.S. embassies. The 2001 attacks killed five people and infected several others.

http://www.bioprepwatch.com/news/212593-us-embassy-in-dakar-closed-following-anthrax-scare

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/26/10 at 10:34 am

Sarah Palin's Twitter page encouraged supporters: "Don't retreat, instead - reload!" The former vice presidential candidate's Facebook page also featured a map of the U.S. with circles and cross hairs over 20 districts.

I find this one especially scary.  People want this woman to be the next President of the United States?  WTF?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/26/10 at 11:10 am

there was a shooting as well at a Republican congressman's office yesterday, and someone tried to sabotage a gas grill of a Dems. brother in law (apparently thought it was the politician's house)

Apparently the tea baggers are upset at the Dems for passing it, and the Conservatives for failing to stop it.  So they're attacking all the politicians... some real great "logic" going on there.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/26/10 at 11:19 am

and of course people with Obama bumper stickers

http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=12208009

Duren had just picked up his 10-year-old daughter from school and had her in the car with him.

"He pointed at the back of my car," Duren said, "the bumper, flipped me off, one finger salute."

But it didn't end there.

Duren told News 2 that Weisiger honked his horn at him for awhile, as Duren stopped at a stop sign.

Once he started driving again, down Blair Boulevard, towards his home, he said, "I looked in the rear view mirror again, and this same SUV was speeding, flying up behind me, bumped me."

Duren said he applied his brake and the SUV smashed into the back of his car.

personally I think it's gauche to keep political stickers on your car after an election, but this is taking it too far

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/10 at 12:11 pm

Can't we just all, get along?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/10 at 1:24 pm

If anyone gets hurt in the crossfire, at least they know that they now have health insurance to cover the cost of the trip to the hospital.

Ok, ok, bad taste joke. I just couldn't resisit.

Cat

Written By: tv on 03/26/10 at 4:27 pm

Face it there is stupid people on both the right and the left wing that do this stuff.

I don't get RNC Chairman Michael Steele puttiing a "Fire Nancy Pelosi website" up with flames near her picture. Thats sort of pointless.  I don;t get Nancy Pelosi saying how the Republican Party amped the Tea Party crowd to due all these threats.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/10 at 8:29 pm

The never send the fun kind of white powder in those envelopes!
8)

Written By: Macphisto on 03/26/10 at 9:31 pm

8)

Well, those only appear in envelopes addressed to K Street.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/10 at 12:28 am

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zogpjn.jpg

The saddest thing about living in what's left of the Republic is that I don't think I'm ever going to get to edit this Photoshop by pasting a "2" on it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/10 at 10:56 am

Well, those only appear in envelopes addressed to K Street.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/10 at 10:58 am

8)

Is that before or after, Dr. Rockso gets to it?

;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/27/10 at 2:54 pm

there was a shooting as well at a Republican congressman's office yesterday,
Some Republicans are trying to use this incident to say that it's not only Democrats that are the targets so it can't possibly be Republicans committing these acts.  The thing is, though, that the police believe that it's just a coincidence that the bullet penetrated the window of the congressman's office as it didn't even damage the blinds covering the window and was found about a foot inside the building.  Had it been intentionally fired at the window, it most certainly would have damaged the blinds and penetrated the building by more than a foot.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/health/policy/27threats.html

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/27/10 at 3:00 pm

An actual post by one of my "Facebook friends"

"is finding it hilarious that the liberals are so sure a bunch of middle aged and elderly people are going to turn into a violent mob. We may be pissed off, but the vast majority of us use WORDS to fight our battles. (there are always a few freaks on the edges of every cause) Unlike the left wingers who use any excuse to riot and burn things when they protest."

Maybe I'm not "up-to-date" with the news, but when was the last "left-wing 'riot and burn' protest"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/10 at 3:14 pm

An actual post by one of my "Facebook friends"

"is finding it hilarious that the liberals are so sure a bunch of middle aged and elderly people are going to turn into a violent mob. We may be pissed off, but the vast majority of us use WORDS to fight our battles. (there are always a few freaks on the edges of every cause) Unlike the left wingers who use any excuse to riot and burn things when they protest."

Maybe I'm not "up-to-date" with the news, but when was the last "left-wing 'riot and burn' protest"?

I think 1964.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/10 at 4:35 pm

http://www.facebook.com/cuentame?v=app_10531514314

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/10 at 12:24 am

Stay nonviolent, folks, especially when your opponent can kick your ass before you can say Jack Robinson!

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/10 at 12:37 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/opinion/28rich.html

If Obama’s first legislative priority had been immigration or financial reform or climate change, we would have seen the same trajectory. The conjunction of a black president and a female speaker of the House — topped off by a wise Latina on the Supreme Court and a powerful gay Congressional committee chairman — would sow fears of disenfranchisement among a dwindling and threatened minority in the country no matter what policies were in play. It’s not happenstance that Frank, Lewis and Cleaver — none of them major Democratic players in the health care push — received a major share of last weekend’s abuse. When you hear demonstrators chant the slogan “Take our country back!,” these are the people they want to take the country back from.

like a scrotum... there it is in a nutshell folks...

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/10 at 10:00 am

Yup, its all of a piece.  Scared white folks being left behind by both progress and demographics, and they just can't take it.

Written By: Macphisto on 04/02/10 at 2:38 pm

Yup, its all of a piece.  Scared white folks being left behind by both progress and demographics, and they just can't take it.

Economic progress, yes.  However, minorities actually tend to be less socially progressive than whites as a whole on many issues -- like gay marriage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/10 at 11:56 pm

Yup, its all of a piece.  Scared white folks being left behind by both progress and demographics, and they just can't take it.

Why is that whatever wrecks white folks is always other white folks?

As a predominantly WASP-Irish guy, I gotta tell African-Americans who might get the notion that white folks look out for one another...uh no, that's not how it works.  A certain upper crust of extremely rich white people who would sell their grandmothers for a glass of lemonade get to tell us ALL what to do!  This isn't the Freemasons or the Illuminati we're dealing with, just the ravages of a corrupt republic brainwashed into thinking the greediest bastards in the room are on the right track!  
8)

Shhhh....that's just a man and his horse outside being hung!

--Hedley Lamarr

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/03/10 at 1:34 am

like a scrotum... there it is in a nutshell folks...
screw whatever else you said......this is classic!!!! +1 to you, Chucky!!!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/03/10 at 2:55 am

Yeah, let's get on with our anti-white, the ''white man's losing'' pride parade.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/03/10 at 11:18 am

Yeah, let's get on with our anti-white, the ''white man's losing'' pride parade.

Its not anti-white, its just that working class white guys are being left behind as manufacturing jobs go over seas and their opportunities for a "middle class" lifestyle go with the jobs.  So who's to blame?  Obviously minorities, liberals, women - everyone who isn't a working class white guy.  Its been going on for years now.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/03/10 at 1:02 pm

Its not anti-white, its just that working class white guys are being left behind as manufacturing jobs go over seas and their opportunities for a "middle class" lifestyle go with the jobs.  So who's to blame?  Obviously minorities, liberals, women - everyone who isn't a working class white guy.  Its been going on for years now.

But you didn't say that the first time around, you said ''white folks'' are being left behind by ''demographics'', which I'm guessing means the slow extinction of white people as a race. And ''progress' is what you talk above in the above post.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 7:54 pm

Don't forget illegal immigrants!  It's all their fault!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/10 at 9:41 am

screw whatever else you said......this is classic!!!! +1 to you, Chucky!!!

stole it from the Bloodhound Gang... one of my favorite lines

Written By: Tia on 04/09/10 at 8:32 am

Face it there is stupid people on both the right and the left wing that do this stuff.
who on the left is doing this? seems to be 90%+ tea-partiers to me. they're the ones calling for revolution, i don't see the left doing that, at least not on cable TV.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/10 at 4:52 pm

who on the left is doing this? seems to be 90%+ tea-partiers to me. they're the ones calling for revolution, i don't see the left doing that, at least not on cable TV.

And like 90%+ of the left-wing dope-smoking hippies who were marching for revolution 40 years ago, the Tea-baggers wouldn't know what to do with it if they got it!
:D

Written By: tv on 04/11/10 at 12:24 pm

When George W. Bush was president the left was trotting out their "Kill George W. Bush" signs in their protests against Bush. Another reason why the left is not protesting currently is because the leadership in Washington D.C. is doing what they want in terms of policy(think Pelosi, Reid, and Obama.)

Written By: tv on 04/11/10 at 12:28 pm

Economic progress, yes.  However, minorities actually tend to be less socially progressive than whites as a whole on many issues -- like gay marriage.
Yeah but even if blacks for example disagree with democrats on social issues like abortion or gay marriage blacks will still vote democrat.

Written By: tv on 04/11/10 at 12:32 pm

Its not anti-white, its just that working class white guys are being left behind as manufacturing jobs go over seas and their opportunities for a "middle class" lifestyle go with the jobs.  So who's to blame?  Obviously minorities, liberals, women - everyone who isn't a working class white guy.  Its been going on for years now.
The reaaon why manufacturing jobs went away in America was because the Domestic Big 3(Ford Gm, and Chrysler) built alot of crap for 2.5 decades(80's-mid 00's.) I don't think liberals or women are to blame for the Domestic Big 3 going down the tubes or were going down the tubes.

Written By: tv on 04/11/10 at 12:34 pm

And like 90%+ of the left-wing dope-smoking hippies who were marching for revolution 40 years ago, the Tea-baggers wouldn't know what to do with it if they got it!
I;m sure if the tea baggers were liberals you would love the tea party movement but because they believe in conservatism you don't like the tea party movement.

Written By: tv on 04/11/10 at 12:44 pm

Its not anti-white, its just that working class white guys are being left behind as manufacturing jobs go over seas and their opportunities for a "middle class" lifestyle go with the jobs.  So who's to blame?  Obviously minorities, liberals, women - everyone who isn't a working class white guy.  Its been going on for years now.[
Actually white women don;t vote democrat as much as minority women do. From the data I have read on Gallup's polls website 52-53% of white women vote democrat compared to 85% of black women for example.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/10 at 7:16 pm

I;m sure if the tea baggers were liberals you would love the tea party movement but because they believe in conservatism you don't like the tea party movement.

Why are YOU calling them "tea baggers"?

Their movement has nothing to do with true conservatism, which values rational thought, and everything to do with its adherents being confounded out of acting on their economic self interests by the rich and powerful.  BTW, enlightened self interest was once a keystone of conservative ideology.  Most of the people I have seen in the Tea Party movement would not embrace the agenda of Newt Gingrich or Sarah Palin if they were either rational or self interested.

When George W. Bush was president the left was trotting out their "Kill George W. Bush" signs in their protests against Bush. Another reason why the left is not protesting currently is because the leadership in Washington D.C. is doing what they want in terms of policy(think Pelosi, Reid, and Obama.)

I never saw a "Kill George W. Bush" sign carried by any protester.  Perhaps I missed it.  If you have pictures of these, do post them.  If I saw anybody carrying such a sign I would report that person to the police.  I don't endorse violence or calls to violence, and those who do only harm the cause.

Written By: Tia on 04/12/10 at 6:53 am

yeah, occasionally. just seems to me that the tea partiers are doing it much much more, and they have a lot more people saying it on TV. who openly called bush anti-american or said he was trying to kill your family on cable TV when he was in office? virtually no one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/10 at 1:39 pm

What I don't get about the tea party is the fact that they keep crying for their rights. What rights are they screaming about? They are practicing their First Amendment Rights which I do not object to. The Constitution does NOT grant them the right to intimidate, threaten, or deny someone else their First Amendment Rights.

Personally, I would rather go to the Tia Party.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/10 at 2:26 pm

What I don't get about the tea party is the fact that they keep crying for their rights. What rights are they screaming about? They are practicing their First Amendment Rights which I do not object to. The Constitution does NOT grant them the right to intimidate, threaten, or deny someone else their First Amendment Rights.

Cat

I would rather go to the Mad Hatter's tea party, myself, but the Tia Party sounds good too!

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/13/10 at 1:21 am

Cat

Kinda sums up a good deal of what they they are upset about and what they want....
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4517329430_ccc27b6f7f_o.gif

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/14/10 at 12:08 pm

Does anyone else find it interesting that anywhere from 20-40% of Tea Party members are low-income (depending on which report you believe) while their "Messiah" has earned a reported $12 MILLION since stepping down as governor?  Why doesn't she start spreading the wealth a little with her fellow teabaggers???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/10 at 2:28 pm

Does anyone else find it interesting that anywhere from 20-40% of Tea Party members are low-income (depending on which report you believe) while their "Messiah" has earned a reported $12 MILLION since stepping down as governor?  Why doesn't she start spreading the wealth a little with her fellow teabaggers???

Glenn Beck's contract was for 32 million.  Probably more for this coming year.  I hesitate to use the term "earn" in the case of either Beck or Palin because "earn" has positive connotations of an honest day's work, not dishing out odious corporate propaganda.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/15/10 at 9:53 am

To do so would be socialist, can't have any of that "share the wealth" crap

Written By: tv on 04/15/10 at 1:33 pm

Kinda sums up a good deal of what they they are upset about and what they want....
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4517329430_ccc27b6f7f_o.gif
Its not about race or ethnicity I mean when do we see Tea Partiers hold up anti something signs that have to do with Condeleeza Rice or Clarence Thomas? Never. It just happens that Obama is 1/2 black and a liberal or a moderate liberal and the Tea Partiers don;t like Obama policies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/15/10 at 9:25 pm

Most of them also benefit from Obama's policies.  They've been trained to pretend they're billionaires!

Written By: tv on 04/16/10 at 5:11 pm

Most of them also benefit from Obama's policies.  They've been trained to pretend they're billionaires!
Personally, I don't see what the benefits of Obama;s policies are.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/17/10 at 5:42 am

Personally, I don't see what the benefits of Obama;s policies are.

Then you aren't looking.  Legislation that says people with "pre-existing conditions" can't be thrown off of health insurance(ACNE!) and that includes newborns who had issues in utero, extended unemployment benefits to those hit by the worst economic debacle since the great depression, stimulus money that has helped people remain employed, and the concept that people who actually work and pay taxes, as opposed to collecting dividends on the backs of people who work, should get more bang for their tax buck.

UPDATE

In hospitals accepting Medicaid and Medicare Obama has told them it is THE PATIENT DECIDES WHO GETS TO VISIT.  Up until now hospitals could deny all but immediate family.  This is a major advancement in patient rights, and the rights of domestic partners who many times were excluded from visitations by the family.

The SEC is accusing Goldman Sachs of fraud.  You have to know this wouldn't have happened unless they were told to get out there and do something after sitting on their asses for the past 25 years. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/17/10 at 10:18 am

Thanks Dan for saving me the trouble

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/10 at 10:25 pm

Life is a pre-existing condition.  Excepting homicide, suicide, and accidents, you're going to get sick and die for some reason or other.  Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it's slow, but one thing's for sure, you're going.

As one jailhouse poet put it:
"Whether you're a king or a streetsweeper,
everybody dances with the Grim Reaper!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Written By: Tia on 04/21/10 at 10:58 am

i thought this was interesting. i'm not sure how extensive the 4/19 protests ended up being, i think the tea party organizers might have sensed it was a PR disaster in the making and walked it back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/abby-ferber/tea-party-is-no-way-to-co_b_543567.html

http://www.teapartypatriots.org/Group/The_Articles_of_Freedom_Rally_April_19,_2010

April 19, of course, is the anniversary of Waco and the OKC bombing.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/10 at 6:11 am

It just happens that Obama is 1/2 black

No he isn't, he's 1/2 white

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/10 at 10:57 am

No he isn't, he's 1/2 white

Right now he's being 1/2-assed, IMHO.

:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...