» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Drill Baby Drill! Obama says yes to offshore drilling

Written By: Macphisto on 03/31/10 at 6:14 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/earth/31energy.html

Oh yeah...  such a Leftist he is, eh?

It's starting to feel a little like Bush #2 now...

Subject: Re: Drill Baby Drill! Obama says yes to offshore drilling

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/31/10 at 6:35 pm

Good move by Obama.

Now let's get some more drillin' goin' on in Alaska.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/10 at 7:40 pm

Good move by Obama.

Now let's get some more drillin' goin' on in Alaska.

read the article, he's opening that up too.

he supported this during his campaign, but I imagine people only heard what they wanted. It doesn't even sound like there's all that much there, or that it's cost effective to retrieve it.

not really a good move by any means.  one oil spill off the coast of Florida and you cause significant impact to their tourism industry, probably not enough to offset the gains to be made from retrieving the oil.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/10 at 7:51 pm

There's an area on the North Slope they call Deadhorse.  Most apropos.  We're flogging a dead horse here.  Drill here, drill there, drill everywhere.  The petroleum-based world economy is still doomed.

No surprise here that Obama is going along with offshore drilling.  If there was any intelligence beforehand that Obama would not play ball with the petrochemical hegemon, he would have been marginalized like Dennis Kucinich. 
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/31/10 at 8:00 pm

read the article, he's opening that up too.

he supported this during his campaign, but I imagine people only heard what they wanted. It doesn't even sound like there's all that much there, or that it's cost effective to retrieve it.

not really a good move by any means.  one oil spill off the coast of Florida and you cause significant impact to their tourism industry, probably not enough to offset the gains to be made from retrieving the oil.

Floridians have no problem burning oil, so they should not have a problem producing it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/10 at 8:18 pm

Floridians have no problem burning oil, so they should not have a problem producing it.

Teddy Kennedy, God rest his soul, was all in favor of wind farms, just not on Nantucket Sound, where he and all his posh pals summered.  I think you'll find similar sentiments among elite Florida snowbirds. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tophat.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 03/31/10 at 9:21 pm

No surprise here that Obama is going along with offshore drilling.  If there was any intelligence beforehand that Obama would not play ball with the petrochemical hegemon, he would have been marginalized like Dennis Kucinich. 

QFT...  Kucinich might be nutty in his beliefs regarding UFOs, but he certainly sees the corporate world for what it is....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/10 at 9:38 pm

QFT...   Kucinich might be nutty in his beliefs regarding UFOs, but he certainly sees the corporate world for what it is....

Kucinich saw a UFO -- an unidentified flying object.  NASA and the Air Force sees these things all the time.  A UFO is what it says it is via the acronym.  It does not imply the witness claims to see an extraterrestrial craft powered by intelligent forces!

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/01/10 at 10:58 am

Personally I have mixed feelings about this, but it could be a wise political move.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/01/10 at 11:16 am

Personally I have mixed feelings about this, but it could be a wise political move.

Politically it is a superb move by O'bama.

First off, by opening up at least some offshore drilling, he scores points with a considerable segment of the population.  And yet by pandering to California and continuing the ban there, he keeps many people in his pocket as well, and can claim that he "stood up" against those nasty people who want to drill off their coast.

He might well have gotten advice on this from former President Clinton, as this move has the sort of pragmatic touch for which Bill is known and of which Bill is a master.

Republicans' best response to this move by O'bama should be a muted response in my opinion.

My opinon of the whole issue is that (let's take California as an example)... if a state is unwilling to allow oil drilling or refining projects to proceed, then it should not be willing to burn oil and other petroleum products.  Can't have it both ways.  California does not want oil production/refining and it does not want nuclear, yet it is one of the more energy-consumptive states in the Union.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/10 at 10:05 am

California already has refineries, one very smelly one just north of LA proper.  I guess they just don't want more.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/10 at 11:46 pm

California already has refineries, one very smelly one just north of LA proper.  I guess they just don't want more.

We just earned the hatred of 50 future generations of Arabs and we emptied our treasury and good name for a 7-year phony war.
Just hope the House of Saud stays in charge over there.  If not, we'll need every stinking refinery we can get our hands on!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...