» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Waco and Oklahoma City

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 1:35 pm

April 19th marks the 17th anniversary of the conflagration ending the siege of the Branch Davidian compound at Waco, Texas, killing 76 people.

http://img.imaginecasting.com/blog/waco.jpg

I was old enough to remember Jonestown.  I wondered many times during the six-week siege why the U.S. government was threatening David Koresh, a gun-crazy psychopath with a messianic complex and 100 souls under his control.  Couldn't they see something terrible was going to happen?  I was shocked but not surprised that day.  My favorite album that spring was The Legendary Pink Dots "Malachai: Shadow Weaver Part 2"  The song "Kingdom of the Flies" begins in a menacing tone: "Who will pull the trigger, send the whole thing up in flames? Who is juggling figures, lands the last move of the game?  Now we're coughing blood, the desert winds erupt, the power's cut.  Our dream has been corrupted."

April 19th marks the 15th anniversary of the worst domestic terrorist attack (until 9/11) on U.S. soil.  The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was blown apart by a fertilizer bomb.

http://www.okcbombing.net/images/murrah2.jpg

The names Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols didn't make the news until the following days.  It took days for rescue workers to dig through the mess to find 168 people had died and hundreds had been injured, some grievously.  McVeigh was executed for the atrocious crime on June 11, 2001, three months to the day before September 11 massacres.  Terry Nichols remains in prison where he will die.  As soon as the first images of the Oklahoma City bombing appeared on television, I couldn't help wondering if they perpetrators were right-wingers who drank the hate-the-government Kool-Aid and were out for some revenge statement for the bloodshed the federal government had caused two years earlier.  Early reports were trying to blame some Arabs sited in the area that day.  I had angry white guys in mind.  This turned out to be the case.

Subject: Re: Waco and Oklahoma City

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/10 at 1:57 pm

With all the hatred rhetoric toward the government these days perpetuated by Fox Noise and the Republican spin masters, I would not be a bit surprise to see something happen today. These people don't realize that they are playing with dynamite and they are lighting the fuse. They don't realize that there are many unbalanced & psycho people out there who doesn't need too much encouragement to act. Jim Jones, David Koresh, Timothy McVeigh, & Terry Nichols were all psychos. We don't need to be encouraging any more of them to act. But, I'm afraid it is going to happen.

What really gets me is that these teabaggers want to "take back the country" (from whom?) but they don't realize that the people in power now were ELECTED!!!! That is what this country is about-a democracy! Just because they don't agree with some issues, they threaten elected officials which is NOT democracy but mob-mentality. And to me, they seem to want anarchy. The sad part is the fact that they are being fed lies and they believe them. They are sheep and unfortunately, the Republican spin masters-INCLUDING Fox Noise know it and keep feeding them b.s. You tell a big enough lie and people will believe it. I wish some of these people would THINK for themselves.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...