» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: O'bama Beats the Muslim Drum

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/10 at 8:11 am

Funny, I thought that our government was not supposed to be singling out religious groups

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8646124.stm

Appears that President O'bama hosted a Muslim Business Summit to discuss business opps with "Muslim countries".  Hey, as long as taxpayer funds are not spent on this sort of thing, fine.  But so far our President has been resistant to keeping money in the wallet, so call me a skeptic.

I eagerly await the "Catholic Business Summit", the "Lutheran Business Summit", and a "Hindu Business Summit" just to name a few.

Subject: Re: O'bama Beats the Muslim Drum

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/27/10 at 10:52 am

>yawn<

honestly... these countries are monotheistic, it's a shorthand way of referring to them.  If there were six countries beside India that were predominately Hindu, I'm sure they would be doing something similar with them as well.  I guess if the term Muslim is used though, it scares a certain portion of the US population no matter what the context.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/10 at 2:58 pm

Funny, I thought that our government was not supposed to be singling out religious groups

Appears that President O'bama hosted a Muslim Business Summit to discuss business opps with "Muslim countries".  Hey, as long as taxpayer funds are not spent on this sort of thing, fine.  But so far our President has been resistant to keeping money in the wallet, so call me a skeptic.

I eagerly await the "Catholic Business Summit", the "Lutheran Business Summit", and a "Hindu Business Summit" just to name a few.

How about a Mind-Your-Own-Business Summit?

"'Cos if you mind your business, you won't be mindin' mine!"

--Hank Williams
;)

This is kind of a Jimmy Carter thing Obama is doing.  The right idea, yes.  Noble intentions, yes.  Efficacy? Probably nil.  Seriously.  If you wanted business advice right now, would you take it from Uncle Sam!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/27/10 at 4:13 pm

...and his trip to the Vatican was to talk about faith and healing  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/10 at 6:26 pm

>yawn<

honestly... these countries are monotheistic, it's a shorthand way of referring to them.  If there were six countries beside India that were predominately Hindu, I'm sure they would be doing something similar with them as well.   I guess if the term Muslim is used though, it scares a certain portion of the US population no matter what the context.

Well, South America runs somewhere between 87 and 91 percent Roman Catholic, Italy is 90%, Mexico is 95%, Croatia 88%, Haiti 80%, Ireland 88%, Hungary 74%, Lithuania 79%, Malta 95%, Panama 85%, Phillipines 80%  and we don't refer to them as "The Catholic Countries". 

Many of the so-called "Muslim" countries have far less.  For example, Baharain ~81%, Brunei ~67%, Chad ~55%, Lebanon ~59%, Malaysia ~60%.

There are, of course, some countries that are nearly monotheistic (if you loosely consider Sunni and Shia as monotheists), such as Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia which are at 95%+ Moslem membership.

Interesting... in researching this post I found that Uzbekistan is like 97.5% Moslem.  Funny because I happen to know LOTS of Uzbeks (long story) and every last one of them is Jewish, which might explain why they all left Uzbekistan as soon as the USSR went belly up.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/10 at 7:18 pm

Well, South America runs somewhere between 87 and 91 percent Roman Catholic, Italy is 90%, Mexico is 95%, Croatia 88%, Haiti 80%, Ireland 88%, Hungary 74%, Lithuania 79%, Malta 95%, Panama 85%, Phillipines 80%  and we don't refer to them as "The Catholic Countries". 

Many of the so-called "Muslim" countries have far less.  For example, Baharain ~81%, Brunei ~67%, Chad ~55%, Lebanon ~59%, Malaysia ~60%.

There are, of course, some countries that are nearly monotheistic (if you loosely consider Sunni and Shia as monotheists), such as Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia which are at 95%+ Moslem membership.

Interesting... in researching this post I found that Uzbekistan is like 97.5% Moslem.  Funny because I happen to know LOTS of Uzbeks (long story) and every last one of them is Jewish, which might explain why they all left Uzbekistan as soon as the USSR went belly up.  ;D

And the big boys in Moscow also had a great record with the Jews!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...