» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Even Laura Bush, thinks it's a bad idea.....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/19/10 at 9:35 am

You know that "bill" about to possibly pass in Arizona?  Even Laura Bush, doesn't like the idea!

http://www.tonic.com/article/laura-bush-speaks-out-against-arizona-immigration-law/

Subject: Re: Even Laura Bush, thinks it's a bad idea.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/10 at 9:17 pm

Where was Mrs. Bush when the PATRIOT act was getting rammed through congress?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/10 at 9:31 pm

You know that "bill" about to possibly pass in Arizona?  Even Laura Bush, doesn't like the idea!

http://www.tonic.com/article/laura-bush-speaks-out-against-arizona-immigration-law/

That's not really a big surprise.  George W. Bush was a big proponent of letting all the illegals come in, but the bill he supported in Congress went nowhere.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/20/10 at 6:41 am

Never cared what Laura Bush thinks.  When she thought to marry into the bush leagues she lost any credibility she may have had.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/10 at 8:25 pm

Never cared what Laura Bush thinks.  When she thought to marry into the bush leagues she lost any credibility she may have had.

The Bush family wanted to rule the world. 

Rockefeller wanted the oil, Vanderbilt wanted the railroads, Carnegie wanted the steel.

Prescott Bush wanted to rule the world. 

What?

That nebbish of a Connecticut senator?  He was pushing for George H.W. Bush to be GOP nominee as early as 1968!

They almost had it in 1980, but that upstart b-movie actor Ronald Reagan outbid them.  That had to be embarrassing.  Neil Bush's friend John Hinckley tried assassinate Bedtime-for-Ronzo in March.  Not to say one had anything to do with the other.  The Hinckley family was a Texas oil family who had contributed heavily to Daddy Bush's campaign.  The fact that their 25-year-old son is the one who tried to shoot Ronald Reagan has nothing to do with all that. 

Anyway, George H.W. and George W. become the second father-son presidency since John Adams and John Quincy Adams, which is not to compare, just to remark. 

Both men have wrecked the Bush brand forever.  They're not going to get to rule the world, but there's still enough dough for them to make lots of trouble. 

Laura Bush wouldn't be the first perfectly nice woman to marry rich, alcoholic politico greaseball.  She's got the virtue of resilience if she can stand Dubya for 30 years.  She's kind of a Stepford Wife.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/10 at 5:51 am

Anyway, George H.W. and George W. become the second father-son presidency since John Adams and John Quincy Adams, which is not to compare, just to remark. 

The Adams were, to me, the top (I like J Q better than dad), the bushes are way, way, down on the food chain. The Adams' ushered in the new republic, the bushes twin towered it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/10 at 2:55 pm

She's kind of a Stepford Wife.

You stole my line. I was going to say that: Only she is not KIND of a Stepford wife-she IS a Stepford wife.

The Adams were, to me, the top (I like J Q better than dad), the bushes are way, way, down on the food chain. The Adams' ushered in the new republic, the bushes twin towered it.

I hear ya. I had been a John Adams fan since I was 9 years old (no exaggeration). I am totally in awe at his love affair-with his wife Abigail.  :o :o :o  (How many politicians can say THAT?!! ) Their love letters were so sweet. Both men are greatly admired however, JA the elder has one major black mark on his career-the Alien and Sedition Act.

I also agree that the bushes (yes, small letter) can't hold a candle to either of the Adams'.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 9:02 pm

JQA was a, shall we say, progressive thinker in many respects.  He lost to Andrew Jackson, one of the most horrible kinds of people to be found in the young nation, but he got the job done and cleared the books. 

The first two presidential wives, Martha Washington and Abigail Adams, become historical figures in their own right.  We might have thought that would be a matter of course for first ladies.  Then Jefferson's wife, Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson said Tommy Jeff wasn't up to it most of the time.  I guess he was worn out from good old Sally Hemmings!
:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/10 at 5:51 am

JQA was a, shall we say, progressive thinker in many respects.  He lost to Andrew Jackson, one of the most horrible kinds of people to be found in the young nation, but he got the job done and cleared the books. 

The first two presidential wives, Martha Washington and Abigail Adams, become historical figures in their own right.  We might have thought that would be a matter of course for first ladies.  Then Jefferson's wife, Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson said Tommy Jeff wasn't up to it most of the time.  I guess he was worn out from good old Sally Hemmings!
:-\\

Jefferson's wife was long dead when he became president.  He promised her never to remarry, but didn't have any qualms about raping her baby half-sister Sally 'til the cows came home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/10 at 6:57 pm

Jefferson's wife was long dead when he became president.  He promised her never to remarry, but didn't have any qualms about raping her baby half-sister Sally 'til the cows came home.

TJ inherited Hemings from his father-in-law, John Wayles.  Mrs. Jefferson died in 1782 but TJ didn't take up with Hemings until he was president, but nobody can say for sure.  He could have tried a variety in those 20 years before settling on Sally.  It gets a little confusing because TJ's eldest daughter was also a Martha Washington (Martha Washington Jefferson Randolph) and honored as First Lady.  TJ couldn't marry Sally Hemings and call her First Lady for reasons we all understand.  Hemings was property and TJ could do with her what he pleased, and if it didn't please her, he could still do it.  Not a palatable policy to most folks nowadays, but that's how the mop flopped 200 years ago!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 05/24/10 at 1:56 pm

TJ inherited Hemings from his father-in-law, John Wayles.  Mrs. Jefferson died in 1782 but TJ didn't take up with Hemings until he was president, but nobody can say for sure.  He could have tried a variety in those 20 years before settling on Sally.  It gets a little confusing because TJ's eldest daughter was also a Martha Washington (Martha Washington Jefferson Randolph) and honored as First Lady.  TJ couldn't marry Sally Hemings and call her First Lady for reasons we all understand.  Hemings was property and TJ could do with her what he pleased, and if it didn't please her, he could still do it.  Not a palatable policy to most folks nowadays, but that's how the mop flopped 200 years ago!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

And John Wayles was Sallys father by Betty Hemings...slave to John Wayles.  The Hemings of Monticello by Annette Gordon Reed is a great book that gives insight into the family dynamics involved in such an arrangement.  It is readable and informative and I would suggest it to everyone.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/10 at 5:05 pm

And John Wayles was Sallys father by Betty Hemings...slave to John Wayles.  The Hemings of Monticello by Annette Gordon Reed is a great book that gives insight into the family dynamics involved in such an arrangement.  It is readable and informative and I would suggest it to everyone.

I've heard of the book.  I'll read it on your recommendation.
:)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/25/10 at 5:15 pm

I've heard of the book.  I'll read it on your recommendation.
:)

I think you may like it, if only to tweek the noses of the Monticello Association who just can't stand it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/30/10 at 10:02 pm

The Bush family wanted to rule the world. 

Rockefeller wanted the oil, Vanderbilt wanted the railroads, Carnegie wanted the steel.

Prescott Bush wanted to rule the world. 

What?

That nebbish of a Connecticut senator?  He was pushing for George H.W. Bush to be GOP nominee as early as 1968!

They almost had it in 1980, but that upstart b-movie actor Ronald Reagan outbid them.  That had to be embarrassing.  Neil Bush's friend John Hinckley tried assassinate Bedtime-for-Ronzo in March.  Not to say one had anything to do with the other.  The Hinckley family was a Texas oil family who had contributed heavily to Daddy Bush's campaign.  The fact that their 25-year-old son is the one who tried to shoot Ronald Reagan has nothing to do with all that. 

Both men have wrecked the Bush brand forever.  They're not going to get to rule the world, but there's still enough dough for them to make lots of trouble. 

Laura Bush wouldn't be the first perfectly nice woman to marry rich, alcoholic politico greaseball.  She's got the virtue of resilience if she can stand Dubya for 30 years.  She's kind of a Stepford Wife.

^ This is why I say this about the Bushes...they're part of the Neo-Con movement which started in 1969 with Richard Nixon.

They don't call him "Tricky Dick" for nothing!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/10 at 12:20 am

^ This is why I say this about the Bushes...they're part of the Neo-Con movement which started in 1969 with Richard Nixon.

They don't call him "Tricky Dick" for nothing!

How did the Neo-Con movement start with Nixon?
???

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/31/10 at 10:38 am

How did the Neo-Con movement start with Nixon?
???

Read "The Forty Years War: From Nixon to Obama".

And IMO...The last four Presidents we had were about power!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/10 at 10:45 am

...He lost to Andrew Jackson, one of the most horrible kinds of people to be found in the young nation.... 

Hey!  My great grandfather was named for Andrew Jackson, and the Jackson name continues to be bestowed upon children in the family to this day (as a first or middle name).

Great Granddad named my grandfather after one of the founders of the Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji) fraternity, who was a close friend.  To this day there are plenty of new kiddies named Samuel or Samantha too.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...