» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sound Strike

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/26/10 at 1:44 pm

Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine is leading the charge on The Sound Strike, a movement launched online for artists to boycott taking tours through Arizona in protest of the recently passed immigration law.

Rage, Cypress Hill, Juanes, Conor Oberst, Los Tigres del Norte, Kanye West, Sonic Youth and more than a dozen other notable musicians have already publicly jumped on board; notable movie-maker and activist Michael Moore has signed on as well.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-5-26-rage-against-the-machine-michael-moore-kanye-swipe-at-arizona-in-boycott

Subject: Re: Sound Strike

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/10 at 9:56 pm

Nice going Zack!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

However...I think the more effective boycott would be through pro sports.  That's where the big money is. 

Then again, who ever heard of a Latin American baseball player anyway?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/10 at 12:02 am

I wonder if this group will also be protesting Mexico's immigration laws, which are infinitely more punitive than the dreaded Arizona laws? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/10 at 6:27 am

I wonder if this group will also be protesting Mexico's immigration laws, which are infinitely more punitive than the dreaded Arizona laws? ???

...and put off that trip to Cancun?  I don't think so

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/10 at 12:28 am

...and put off that trip to Cancun?  I don't think so

My brother and sister-in-law just went to Cancun for my brother's friend's wedding.  I was house sitting for them while they were away. 

The way I figure it, Cancun is pseudo Mexico.  It was thrown together for tourists as a substitute for Cuba. 

You never saw the video "Girls Gone Wild: Spring Break in Cuba."  Castro don't play dat.  See, before Castro, that's what Cuba was for: American tourists go there to drink, gamble, lollygag on the beaches, and have a decadent old time.  After 1959, they weren't welcome to do so anymore.  So there was a market for Cancun, which was built in the boonies of Caribbean Mexico.
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/10 at 6:31 pm

My brother and sister-in-law just went to Cancun for my brother's friend's wedding.  I was house sitting for them while they were away. 

The way I figure it, Cancun is pseudo Mexico.  It was thrown together for tourists as a substitute for Cuba. 

You never saw the video "Girls Gone Wild: Spring Break in Cuba."  Castro don't play dat.  See, before Castro, that's what Cuba was for: American tourists go there to drink, gamble, lollygag on the beaches, and have a decadent old time.  After 1959, they weren't welcome to do so anymore.  So there was a market for Cancun, which was built in the boonies of Caribbean Mexico.
8)

I knew a guy who ran guns for Castro, didn't talk about it(of course) but when anyone went off about Cuba he would ask them how much they knew about Baptista...the answer to the question was, invariably, who?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/10 at 9:47 am

Batista was one nasty sob.  The waters around El Moro were often red with the blood of his political opponents.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/10 at 6:05 am

Batista was one nasty sob.  The waters around El Moro were often red with the blood of his political opponents.

It irks me when people want to turn back the clock and become nostalgic and think, for some reason, things were better "before" without the knowledge of what it was really like before.  They vilify Castro without finding out why he was able to come into power.  The same with Lenin. Who, besides nobility, could ever be nostalgic about living under the czars.  I'm not saying that Castro, Lenin, or others who managed similar coups were good, but it is necessary to know what enabled them to come into power.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/06/10 at 10:46 am

It irks me when people want to turn back the clock and become nostalgic and think, for some reason, things were better "before" without the knowledge of what it was really like before.  They vilify Castro without finding out why he was able to come into power.  The same with Lenin. Who, besides nobility, could ever be nostalgic about living under the czars.  I'm not saying that Castro, Lenin, or others who managed similar coups were good, but it is necessary to know what enabled them to come into power.

Absolutely, and our "fathers" were upset over taxes, and we see that as sufficient cause.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/10 at 12:28 am

Castro could certainly be nasty and repressive and he was many a time.  He was a dictator after all.  The difference is he didn't cooperate with American corporations. That's the ONLY difference between Fidel and much nastier characters around the world.  It has nothing to do with how he treated people.  The U.S. didn't start complaining about Saddam until what?  Until Saddam stopped cooperating with American corporations!

You know whose health care system they praise on FOX News?  Chile's.  The one Pinochet set up.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...