» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: This can't be good.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/29/10 at 10:52 am

Apparently, Joe Sestak  was offered a job, if he stepped aside from his race against Arlen Spector.

Should this be proven to be true, Obama maybe impeached, Glenn Beck will be very happy, Tea Partiers will be thrilled, Rush Limbaugh will be laughing his head off.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/congressman-white-house-job-offer-sestak-impeachable-offense/

Subject: Re: This can't be good.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/29/10 at 11:44 am

Um...  I think that's a stretch.  It would take an awful lot of screw-ups for Obama to be impeached.

Consider this...  Bush never got impeached.  For Obama to reach that level of incompetency, he'd have to fail at basically more than any other modern president.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/30/10 at 6:34 am

Apparently, Joe Sestak  was offered a job, if he stepped aside from his race against Arlen Spector.

Should this be proven to be true, Obama maybe impeached, Glenn Beck will be very happy, Tea Partiers will be thrilled, Rush Limbaugh will be laughing his head off.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/congressman-white-house-job-offer-sestak-impeachable-offense/

you are aware it's Fox News that claims Obama did something impeachable right? I'm pretty sure the White House already confirmed they did this, which if it were an impeachable offense is something they wouldn't do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/10 at 8:51 am

I'm pretty sure the White House already confirmed they did this, which if it were an impeachable offense is something they wouldn't do.

I have no idea exactly what went down, but I'd never utter the above words about ANY president.

It does seem rather odd that the White House has taken three months to come out with the rather tepid explanation that came out the other day.  And the thought that Sestak would drop out of a Senatorial race for some undefined, unpaid advisory committee job (which as a sitting Representative he would be prohibited from being a member) strains the credulity test. 

I have to give Sestak alot of credit for this whole thing.  He's making the Administration (who tried to screw him over in the primaries) cook in its own stew.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/31/10 at 10:45 am

Impeached?

The Republicans tried to Impeach Clinton in 1998!
The Democrats didn't have a chance to Impeach Bush during his two terms!

Now Obama? Just give me the Midterm Elections and in 2012 Obama will have no heat!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/10 at 11:05 am

The Republicans tried to Impeach Clinton in 1998!

The history is not that an impeachment of Clinton was "attempted".  In fact, Clinton was impeached as a matter of record.

The House of Representatives voted to impeach President Clinton on charges of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice (two other charges of perjury and abuse of power did not survive a House vote). 

"Impeachment" means that the Prsident was brought to trial before the Senate.  An impeachment vote is kinda analogous to an arraignment, where formal charges are announced.

In the Senate trial, the President was acquitted of the charges presented:

Perjury: 45 Dems voted Not Guilty, 9 Repubs voted Not Guilty, and 45 Repubs voted Guilty.  Arlen Spectre voted "not proven"
Obstruction: 45 Dems voted Not Guilty, 5 Repubs voted Not Guilty, and 50 Repubs voted Guilty

Note that 67 guilty votes are required to remove a president from office in an impeachment hearing.

Note that in all likelihood, former president Richard F. Nixxon would also have been impeached, but he resigned before the House vote could take place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/10 at 12:26 pm

The history is not that an impeachment of Clinton was "attempted".  In fact, Clinton was impeached as a matter of record.

The House of Representatives voted to impeach President Clinton on charges of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice (two other charges of perjury and abuse of power did not survive a House vote). 

"Impeachment" means that the Prsident was brought to trial before the Senate.  An impeachment vote is kinda analogous to an arraignment, where formal charges are announced.

In the Senate trial, the President was acquitted of the charges presented:

Perjury: 45 Dems voted Not Guilty, 9 Repubs voted Not Guilty, and 45 Repubs voted Guilty.  Arlen Spectre voted "not proven"
Obstruction: 45 Dems voted Not Guilty, 5 Repubs voted Not Guilty, and 50 Repubs voted Guilty

Note that 67 guilty votes are required to remove a president from office in an impeachment hearing.

Note that in all likelihood, former president Richard F. Nixxon would also have been impeached, but he resigned before the House vote could take place.

They are grasping at straws about Obama like they did with Clinton. Unfortunately, Clinton played into their hands and they got him lying about a bj-a question they shouldn't have asked him in the first place.  ::)  Personally, I think Bush committed greater crimes than lying about a bj but that is another issue.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/10 at 3:23 pm

They are grasping at straws about Obama like they did with Clinton. Unfortunately, Clinton played into their hands and they got him lying about a bj-a question they shouldn't have asked him in the first place.  ::)  Personally, I think Bush committed greater crimes than lying about a bj but that is another issue.

Cat

I never really had a big problem with the whole BJ thing. I mean, we all knew Bill was a hoser when he was elected.

But the perjury thing was a nasty detail; it is clear that he perjured himself about the BJ, but if we got rid of every politician who lied about a knobber the Capital dome would be empty.  ;D

the BJ story DID provide alot of comedic material though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/10 at 3:47 pm

I never really had a big problem with the whole BJ thing. I mean, we all knew Bill was a hoser when he was elected.

But the perjury thing was a nasty detail; it is clear that he perjured himself about the BJ, but if we got rid of every politician who lied about a knobber the Capital dome would be empty.   ;D

Exactly. Politicians have been screwing around since the beginning of time. It is NOT illegal even if it is sleazy. What gets me is a lot of Republicans who led the charge against Clinton's impeachment have had a sexual scandal or two of their own:

John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jon Christensen
Newt Gingrich
Mark Foley
Jim Bunn
Mark Souder
Steve LaTourette
etc, etc.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24435.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/18/AR2010051803985.html

Cat

Written By: philbo on 06/01/10 at 3:57 am

..even if it was blown out of all proportion

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/10 at 8:43 am

Exactly. Politicians have been screwing around since the beginning of time. It is NOT illegal even if it is sleazy.

Agreed, but he was not impeached for getting a BJ, he was impeached for lying under oath.  Call it a technicality.  Ultimately this ended up causing his disbarment agreement (which occurred a few months after the impeachment thing was all done).

Mind you, while I was not a Clinton fan, I would not have brought up charges for lying about a BJ, even while under oath.  But...plenty of "Joe Six Pack" dudes out there have been charged with a heck of alot less.

The Clinton case raises serious issues about the unlimited "power of discovery" that exists in civil proceedings, yet nobody picked this up as a "cause".   The BJ question(s) were asked pursuant to Paula Jones' civil litigation against Clinton for sexual harassment.  In the United States, in a civil litigation, one can be compelled to answer pretty much ANY question, regarless of how intrusive or how irrelevant to the matters at hand, or what trade secrets may be involved.  Clinton lied and was disbarred.  Susan McDougal refused to answer these questions and was imprisoned for 18 months.  All those lawyers who champion the alleged "right to privacy" seem to keep quiet about the intrusive nature of the civil litigation process, because they make millions of $$$ from their own intrusive inquiries.

I give lots of props to Susan McDougal... she basically told the system to go pack sand and kept her mouth shut.  Look up "No Stitchin'" in the dictionary and you'll see her picture.  She is a stand-up gal.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/01/10 at 10:07 am

..even if it was blown out of all proportion

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/10 at 12:17 am

The triviality of the charges levied against Clinton were such that the political class cowered from advocating impeachment of Bush for fear of being accused of trivial political revenge...however, what Bush did warranted impeachment. 

Even if members of the House tried to draw articles of impeachment against Bush, it would go nowhere because it would inconvenience their corporate paymasters, and we can't have that, now can we?
8)

Yes, Clinton lied under oath, but he lied about getting an extramarital beejay, which is not high crimes and misdemeanors in my book.  Scummy behavior, perhaps, but not high crimes and misdemeanors, neither is lying about it.  Just more scummy behavior. 

If we start impeaching public officials on grounds of scummy behavior, we'd clog the judiciary within 30 days!
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/02/10 at 10:11 am

The triviality of the charges levied against Clinton were such that the political class cowered from advocating impeachment of Bush for fear of being accused of trivial political revenge...however, what Bush did warranted impeachment. 

Even if members of the House tried to draw articles of impeachment against Bush, it would go nowhere because it would inconvenience their corporate paymasters, and we can't have that, now can we?
8)

Yes, Clinton lied under oath, but he lied about getting an extramarital beejay, which is not high crimes and misdemeanors in my book.  Scummy behavior, perhaps, but not high crimes and misdemeanors, neither is lying about it.  Just more scummy behavior. 

If we start impeaching public officials on grounds of scummy behavior, we'd clog the judiciary within 30 days!
:P

More like 30 minutes

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/04/10 at 2:09 pm

Exactly. Politicians have been screwing around since the beginning of time. It is NOT illegal even if it is sleazy. What gets me is a lot of Republicans who led the charge against Clinton's impeachment have had a sexual scandal or two of their own:

John Ensign
Mark Sanford
Jon Christensen
Newt Gingrich
Mark Foley
Jim Bunn
Mark Souder
Steve LaTourette
etc, etc.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24435.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/18/AR2010051803985.html

Cat

LaTourette...He's from my area, no wonder Cleveland's fudgeed-up!

Check for new replies or respond here...