» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Paul McCartney had a bone to pick with Bush

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/09/10 at 12:37 pm

No kidding...this is what he said...

"I'm thankful that we have a president that knows what a Library is"! ;D

Hey, if we didn't have Bush as our president for the last 8 years...then the last decade would have no comic relief!

Subject: Re: Paul McCartney had a bone to pick with Bush

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/10 at 7:41 pm

What do you mean "we," Sir Paul?
???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/10/10 at 6:39 am

When you figure that everything the POTUS does affects just about everyone in the whole world on some level then I guess it is ok to say "we".

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/10 at 8:55 am

My opinion, this was in poor form for McCartney to make that comment.  That's like visiting Buckingham Palace and asking the queen why her kids can't seem to hold on to a spouse.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/10 at 3:25 pm

My opinion, this was in poor form for McCartney to make that comment.  That's like visiting Buckingham Palace and asking the queen why her kids can't seem to hold on to a spouse.

More like asking the PM why he's such an incompetent wanker...which Parliament did a couple of months ago!
8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/12/10 at 4:33 pm

I won't be surprised that McCartney apologized...just like his old friend Lennon when he said that The Beatles were bigger than Jesus. 

Written By: danootaandme on 06/12/10 at 6:25 pm

I won't be surprised that McCartney apologized...just like his old friend Lennon when he said that The Beatles were bigger than Jesus. 

He said the were more popular, not bigger.  Everywhere they went, in the United States(Bible Belt mostly), there were record burnings and stuff, but 1000 times more people went to the concerts than to the record burnings, so I guess he was right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/10 at 7:37 pm

He said the were more popular, not bigger.  Everywhere they went, in the United States(Bible Belt mostly), there were record burnings and stuff, but 1000 times more people went to the concerts than to the record burnings, so I guess he was right.

Right, not greater than or holier than, and he certainly wasn't trying to supplant Jesus.  Lennon was just making an observation.  A lot of those Bible Belt right-wingers felt threatened by what the hippies stood for:  Social equality, racial equality, sexual liberation, new ways of thinking and being in the world.  Lennon made himself an easy target for them.

A lot of times hippies failed to live up to their ideals.  A lot of the time Christians failed to live up to theirs; heck, they didn't even try sometimes.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/13/10 at 12:11 am

He said the were more popular, not bigger.  Everywhere they went, in the United States(Bible Belt mostly), there were record burnings and stuff, 

Just like today, it's all about quotes taken out of context.

The context of Beatles vs. Jesus was pretty clear.  As you point out, and as Lennon said: "I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."  Problem was, the only people who cared were the type of people who only heard "we meant more to kids than Jesus did" second-hand from the pulpit, and that was that.

Next up, the silly old lady who said "Obama is an Arab" at the McCain rally.  And to bring us back on topic, the same applies to truthers who think Bush was somehow the mastermind (oh, the irony!) behind 9/11.

Check for new replies or respond here...