» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Union Political Muscle on the Wane?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/10 at 8:53 am

Interesting article in the WSJ today about the renomination of Senator Blanche Lincoln.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703890904575296992971792022.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories

Appears that various national unions blew $10MM campaigning against this Democratic incumbent because they did not like the cut of her jib when it came to card-check and the health care vote.  Similar recent big-ticket losses by labor-pimped candidates were the democratic loss to Scott Brown in Massachusetts, and the ejection of Arlen Spectre in Pennsylvania.  Even Bill Clinton came out and spoke against union interference in the Blanche Lincoln election.

In my district in PA, the United Steelworkers made all sorts of big talk to defeat Rep. Jason Altmire (a blue dog Dem who is anti-card-check and anti-health-bill) but he ran unopposed in the primary.

Seems to me that especially with a massive loss of Democrat seats inevitible come this November, the big unions would be better served if they pumped their millions into organizing campaigns instead of blowing their wad on democratic primary campaigns.

What say you? ???

Subject: Re: Union Political Muscle on the Wane?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/10/10 at 5:28 pm

Unions have been losing ground since the 70s, and Reagans policy really hit them for a loop, with complicity of national union leadership.  That began to change in the second bushII term and now they are trying to return to organizing at a grass roots level.  The swing back to there original purpose has been slow, but the pendulum is swinging.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/10 at 7:30 pm

Basically, you've got two parties, the Democrats and the Republicans.  Both are pro-management and anti-labor.  There are a few exceptions in the Democratic party, but not enough to make a big difference.  Blanche Lincoln is a rightie.  So will be the next a-hole Dem elected in Arkansas.  I don't care what the Dems do anymore.  They have proven themselves an impotent force when it comes to fighting for the well-being of the average American.  The Repubs don't give a damn, so they don't look as limp-dick. 

People tell me, "Oh, you can't give up on the Democrats.  If you vote for a third party, you'll only help the Republicans!" 

I didn't give up on the Dems.  They gave up on me.  So fug 'em. 
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:23 am

hmmm...  some good news for once.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 12:27 am

The spider said to the fly, "Trust me."  The fly trusted the spider and crawled right into her web.  The spider is the free-market elite and the fly is YOU!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/spider.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:30 am

The spider said to the fly, "Trust me."  The fly trusted the spider and crawled right into her web.  The spider is the free-market elite and the fly is YOU!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/spider.gif

Being the cynic that I am, I believe both corporations and unions are spiders.  I'm still a fly, but since I know I'm going to get eaten either way, I'll go for the spider that keeps me employed longer.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 1:07 am

Being the cynic that I am, I believe both corporations and unions are spiders.  I'm still a fly, but since I know I'm going to get eaten either way, I'll go for the spider that keeps me employed longer.

That's right.  Sam Walton set it up perfectly.  He would drive around in his beat-up pick up, the one with gun rack -- I mean the other other one with the gun rack -- and he say howdy to all the fellas, and reminded them that of they even thought the U word, they'd get canned!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pimpflash.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...