» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Are workers in China getting fed up? Increase in strikes

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/10 at 3:22 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/6/10/874636/-Theres-something-crazy-going-on-in-China

Subject: Re: Are workers in China getting fed up? Increase in strikes

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/10 at 5:16 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/6/10/874636/-Theres-something-crazy-going-on-in-China

I imagine they are.

Originally peasants who had nothing were happy to work for doody in the new manufacturing plants.  But now that they realize they are making doody, and they see others in the country reaping hefty pay, they're getting PO'd.

Will be interesting to see where the Communist government will "draw the line" and force people to work for doody.

My opinion?  The whole labor strikes issue is a healthy development in the Chinese economy, as presently the balance of power is generally stacked against the worker.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/10 at 7:36 pm

Maoism -- Chinese Communism -- is devolving back into the traditional Confucian authoritarian culture of China.  Long before the Confucian culture respects the rights of the industrial proletariat, there will be no more industry and no more proletariat because of some gigantic catastrophe looming in the near future.

I realize, of course, my remarks are not politically correct, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and say what needs to be said.
:(

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:21 am

Eh, these companies will just move to Indonesia, India, or some place in Africa.  There's always cheaper labor if things get hectic enough in China.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 12:29 am

Eh, these companies will just move to Indonesia, India, or some place in Africa.  There's always cheaper labor if things get hectic enough in China.

How do you get cheaper than slavery?  I mean, slaves you don't own.  Rent-a-slave.  (Sounds like somewhere a Focus on the Family minister would go).
8)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:34 am

How do you get cheaper than slavery?  I mean, slaves you don't own.  Rent-a-slave.  (Sounds like somewhere a Focus on the Family minister would go).
8)

Well, the funny thing is...  China is actually becoming comparatively expensive to operate in now.  They've made some economic progress, and now, countries like India are looking more attractive.

India is a lot poorer than China.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 12:39 am

Well, the funny thing is...  China is actually becoming comparatively expensive to operate in now.  They've made some economic progress, and now, countries like India are looking more attractive.

In other words:

"Rent-a-lot-of-slaves. "

I think that domain name might be open again.
:-\\

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:45 am

Hey, look on the bright side...  Maybe eventually, we'll get to be the slaves one day thanks to globalization...  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 1:02 am

Hey, look on the bright side...  Maybe eventually, we'll get to be the slaves one day thanks to globalization...   ;)

I kid not about the new global serfdom. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blossom.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/10 at 8:19 am

One of the main problems in India is the absurd set of trade laws there.

As it turns out, Indian anti-competition laws make it very difficult to start a company with operations in the country, as the existing company owners do not want any competition.

On the other hand, it is fairly easy for Indian investors to build new factories overseas, and then import the goods into India.  And that's what's happening.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 9:26 am

As it turns out, Indian anti-competition laws make it very difficult to start a company with operations in the country, as the existing company owners do not want any competition.

On the other hand, it is fairly easy for Indian investors to build new factories overseas, and then import the goods into India.  And that's what's happening.

Sounds familiar.
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 6:34 pm

Well damn... I guess that's not surprising, but it's going to hurt them soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...