» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New York Times reports on "recent" discovery of precious minerals in Afghanistan

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/14/10 at 12:21 pm

No, The U.S. Didn’t Just ‘Discover’ a $1T Afghan Motherlode

Despite what you may read this morning, the U.S. military did not just “discover” a trillion dollars’ worth of precious minerals in Afghanistan.

The New York Times today proclaimed that Afghanistan is apparently poised to become “the Saudi Arabia of lithium” — a metal used to produce gadgets like iPods and laptops. The discovery will also, according to Pentagon documents quoted by the Times, fundamentally transform the country’s opium-reliant economy.

Subject: Re: New York Times reports on "recent" discovery of precious minerals in Afghanistan

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/10 at 12:29 pm

No, The U.S. Didn’t Just ‘Discover’ a $1T Afghan Motherlode

Despite what you may read this morning, the U.S. military did not just “discover” a trillion dollars’ worth of precious minerals in Afghanistan.

The New York Times today proclaimed that Afghanistan is apparently poised to become “the Saudi Arabia of lithium” — a metal used to produce gadgets like iPods and laptops. The discovery will also, according to Pentagon documents quoted by the Times, fundamentally transform the country’s opium-reliant economy.

I seriously doubt that this find will have any effect on the opium trade.  Opuim is farmed by small family (and some terrorist) operations, while the mining and mineral processing operations will be run by large corporations, and political graft will make sure of that.

As for iron mining in Afghanistan, it will be interesting to see how they can get the stuff shipped out of the mountainous country.  I wonder how robust the rail infrastructure is there, or how much dinero it will cost to establish enough infrastructure to economically export all that ore?

Subject: Re: New York Times reports on "recent" discovery of precious minerals in Afghanistan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/10 at 12:51 pm

I did read the NYT report this morning and my first reaction was "Now the US has reason to exploit Afghanistan." Since this discovery isn't "recent", it would explain why we have been in Afghanistan for 9 years.  ::)

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/10 at 4:59 pm

Since this discovery isn't "recent", it would explain why we have been in Afghanistan for 9 years.  ::)

Cat

Doubtful.  With regard to the iron ore, the United States is net self-sufficient on that product with immense reserves.

Niobium (we steelmakers still refer to it as Columbium)  is plentiful, with a 500-year global supply in Brazil alone.

Regarding copper, the USA is the third-largest producer globally, yet still imports 37% of its requirements, again with decent supply available from friendly countries such as Canada and Mexico.  Presently the only foreign contract for copper mining in Afghanistan is held by Chinese interests.  (I imagine the Chinese will be the big player for that iron ore too, as China is a colossal importer of the stuff).

That brings us to lithium.  Presently the USA has considerable lithium resources, but they have not been developed much.  Presently there is a surplus of lithium brine on the market, so there has not been much economic incentive yet to develop the domestic lithium sources.  But of all the Afghan minerals, Lithium has the most "strategic potential" I think.

But seeing as for the past 9 years we have not seen any lithium mining in Afghanistan, I do not think that this was part of the invasion decision.  Rather I think the fact that those rat bastards were harboring Bin Laden is why we invaded.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/10 at 9:16 pm

Yeah, yeah, and the commies are still fluoridating our country's children and robbing of them of their precious bodily fluids!
Did you know that two-thirds of the Earth is water,  just like two-thirds of you is water...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hase.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/10 at 1:49 pm

But seeing as for the past 9 years we have not seen any lithium mining in Afghanistan, I do not think that this was part of the invasion decision.  Rather I think the fact that those rat bastards were harboring Bin Laden is why we invaded.

I'm sure they'll find him any day now too...

I doubt the Lithium is worth the effort to control the country.  It's more useful for running things through there (like pipelines) than it is for anything actually there. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/10 at 5:35 pm

I'm sure they'll find him any day now too...

I doubt the Lithium is worth the effort to control the country.  It's more useful for running things through there (like pipelines) than it is for anything actually there. 

Lithium is still useful for combating bipolar disorder!
:o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/15/10 at 7:41 pm

It's a real life Avatar!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/10 at 9:07 pm

It's a real life Avatar!

I googled "real life avatar" and this is what I got!  WTF?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/3015703468_b0e277f31a.jpg

Written By: Macphisto on 06/16/10 at 11:59 pm

It's a real life Avatar!

Pandora was a beautifully rendered forest.  Afghanistan is a desert hellhole, although these findings at least give a purpose to its existence.

Check for new replies or respond here...